New York Jets Message Board

Talk about Todd Bowles, Mike Maccagnan, the NY Jets and the NFL here.

75,402 topics in this forum

1. Pinned topics
  2. Other topics

• You missed my point, but let me answer your question then clarify my point.  There arent many weak armed QB's that are considered franchise QB's. Alex Smith is probably the only one. However, how many franchise QB's are there to begin with? Not many. There's probably 8 to 10 QB's that are true franchise QB's and about 5 that are truly elite QB's. Many of these QB's that are considered franchise QB's or elite we have no idea about their velocity because they were in the league before the test was introduced. However, the QB considered the best in the NFL and arguably the best of all-time...Tom Brady came out of Michigan and was considered a QB who didnt have a strong arm.  "Notes: Baseball catcher and football quarterback in high school who was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 18th round of the June 1995 baseball draft. Opted for football and redshirted at Michigan in '95. Saw limited action in '96 and '97 and started the past two years. Completed 3 of 5 passes for 26 yards, no touchdowns and one interception in '96, 12-15-103-0-0 in '97, 214-350-2,636-15-12 in '98 and 180-295-2,216-16-6 in '99, when he often shared time with super sophomore Drew Henson. Went all the way against Alabama in the Orange Bowl and completed 34-46-369-4. Unlike many Michigan quarterbacks, Brady is a pocket-type passer who plays best in a dropback-type system.

Tom Brady Positives: Good height to see the field. Very poised and composed. Smart and alert. Can read coverages. Good accuracy and touch. Produces in big spots and in big games. Has some Brian Griese in him and is a gamer. Generally plays within himself. Team leader.

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the '99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

Summary: Is not what you're looking for in terms of physical stature, strength, arm strength and mobility, but he has the intangibles and production and showed great Griese-like improvement as a senior. Could make it in the right system but will not be for everyone." This is Tom Brady's pre-draft scouting report. Yet we've gotten to watch Tom Brady for 16 years and I think its safe to say that when Tom Brady has to throw the ball down the field, he has no problem doing it.  Most of the franchise QB's today never took the test, so we dont know what their velocity is. And its hard to say "well, we can tell just by them playing that they have a strong arm". Well, Tyrod Taylor obviously has a stronger arm than David Fales and yet Fales scored higher than Tyrod in the velocity measurement. We dont know what those QB's velocity is, and quite frankly it doesnt matter.  Now let me clarify my point.  Last year, many Jets fans wanted us to draft Watson. This year a velocity measurement is taken and suddenly we cant draft him because his arm is too weak to play in the Northeast given weather/winds for example. Well, Tyrod Taylor plays in Buffalo, weather much worse than in East Rutherford, Tom Brady plays in NE where the weather can be much worse as well.  Velocity tells you nothing about what a QB can do on Sundays. Tyrod threw a 50 yet he's one of the best deep ball throws in the game while doing so playing in Buffalo. Brady didnt take the velocity test but was considered a guy with a weaker arm and cant throw tight spirals, and yet Brady has been throwing deep passes his entire career when needed. Mike Glennon scored a 49 on his velocity test but before this test has become "a thing" no one in their argument against Glennon when speaking with me has ever said "Glennon has a weak arm" because he doesnt.    All im saying is that we need not to put too much on this velocity test. If people liked Watson a year ago based on what he put on tape, then that shouldnt change because of a measurement that has proven not to be consistent when looking at in game performances. 
    • I thought you were Maxman
    • Hi @Maxman, sorry no one has responded to this until now. We kind of had an unexpected break. It seems many of us were burnt out while others were busy. I'm not exactly sure when we'll pick up again (although I am confident we will eventually). Do you need an answer to this soon or can we get back to you in several weeks to several months?
  • Today's Birthdays

1. BuffaloRider
      BuffaloRider
      (47 years old)
    2. Cold_Grass
      Cold_Grass
      (37 years old)
    3. dkotch23
      dkotch23
      (38 years old)
    4. dolphann4life
      dolphann4life