Afternoon Practice

flgreen

Shonn Greene absent from Jets practice with low-grade skin infectionm

Published: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 5:32 PM Updated: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 7:07 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

greene.jpgJohn Munson/The Star-LedgerRB Shonn Greene was not at this afternoon's practice.

UPDATE 7:01 p.m.

Starting running back Shonn Greene did not practice this afternoon due to a low-grade skin infection on his right foot, according to a team spokesman. The infection was caught early and is being treated with antibiotics.

Greene will not play Sunday vs. the Bengals, the spokesman said. The team does not know if it is a staph infection or not because skin infections cannot be cultured.

In Greene's absence, LaDainian Tomlinson worked with the first-team offense, carrying the ball 11 times on a run-heavy day. Rookie Bilal Powell worked with the second-team as Joe McKnight (head) wore a red non-contact jersey and was held out of team work.

WR Plaxico Burress took part in a full load at practice this afternoon, not appearing to be limited at all in his work with the first-team offense. It was Burress' most significant participation since signing with the team two-and-a-half weeks ago.

C Nick Mangold (stinger), RG Brandon Moore (hip) and QB Mark Brunell (finger) participated in team drills. NT Sione Pouha (knee), LB Bart Scott (leg) and DT Marcus Dixon (knee) were held out.

Sanchez was 4-of-11 in 11-on-11 drills, by an unofficial count, with two interceptions, to LB Josh Mauga and CB Antonio Cromartie. The Cromartie interception was on a pass thrown in front of Burress in the end zone.

August 18, 2011 7:13 PM 7 comments

Shonn Greene out for Sunday's preseason game against Bengals with low-grade skin infection of right foot

BY Manish Mehta

Jets running back Shonne Greene missed practice today due to a low-grade skin infection of his right foot, the team announced. Greene will not play in the second preseason game on Sunday against the Bengals.

Greene, who ran with power and authority in the preseason opener last Monday against the Texans, will be treated with antibiotics because the infection was detected early. The team doesn't know if it's a staph because skin infections can't be cultured.

With rookie Joe McKnight (concussion) also unable to practice, veteran LaDainain Tomlinson handled the first-team RB reps. Rookie Bilal Powell backed him up.

Greene is expected to be the primary ball carrier in the team's run-based offense this season.

twitter.com/TheJetsStream

I assume if this was the regular season that Greene would play...

Hey Max-I was wondering if there's any way we can embed Rex's daily press conferences in a thread when they come out every day on the team's site? I watch them every day and they are very informative, there are also shorter ones with players, and coaches that are also pretty damn good ways to waste a few minutes.

I assume if this was the regular season that Greene would play...

It's pretty clear that the Jets are being beyond careful with their players this preseason due to the reduced offseason. Sitting a guy like Mangold with a stinger or Greene with a skin infection is simply not something you're going to see in games that matter. As long as the Jets don't feel like this will affect any of these guys abilities to hind the group running come the regular season, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Hey Max-I was wondering if there's any way we can embed Rex's daily press conferences in a thread when they come out every day on the team's site? I watch them every day and they are very informative, there are also shorter ones with players, and coaches that are also pretty damn good ways to waste a few minutes.

I don't think the Jets provide any embed codes...as far as I know. So I don't think we can unfortunately.

It's pretty clear that the Jets are being beyond careful with their players this preseason due to the reduced offseason. Sitting a guy like Mangold with a stinger or Greene with a skin infection is simply not something you're going to see in games that matter. As long as the Jets don't feel like this will affect any of these guys abilities to hind the group running come the regular season, I don't see anything wrong with that.

They also don't know if it's stapf. Their probably also afraid Greene will give the whole team the creeping crud.

Archived