Jets Hired Tom Moore As A Consultant

SoFlaJets

Jets hire longtime Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore

The Jets have hired longtime Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore as a consultant, according to Brian Costello of the New York Post.

Moore, who spent 12 years running the Indianapolis offense, was one of several coaches the Jets brought in during the lockout to meet with the coaching staff. Moore came to New Jersey in April and June. After the second session, Rex Ryan offered him a job with the team.

“Rex and I go way back,” Moore said Thursday. “We’ve had some great games against each other. I just have so much respect for Rex and his staff and the organization. When he made the offer, I couldn’t refuse it.”

The 72-year-old retired two years ago when the NFL owners changed the pension plan for coaches. He returned a few months later and the Colts went to the Super Bowl. He retired again before last year, but remained in a consulting role with the team as the senior offensive assistant.

Moore retired from the Colts again in May. Moore said he may come to New Jersey for training camp, but will spend the season at his South Carolina home where he will review game tapes and offer observations to the Jets staff.

“I want to keep involved in the game,” he said. “I’m 72 years young. I want to keep involved. This gives me a chance. I have such great respect for Rex and his staff and the organization. It’s great.”

Really worried about this move. If Moore is here to help Schotty turn the passing game into an even more complicated sh*tshow than it already is, Sanchez is doomed. They should be making things LESS complicated, not more. Just give the reins to Callahan already.

Haha, this is awesome. I don't think any coach in the history of football has had as little faith shown in him as Schotty has. Every season he's having people being brought in to help him, other coaches taking parts of his job responsibilities, the list goes on. If they still insist on not sh*t-canning him, you have to love that they are at least making moves like this. Any chance Moore will be up in the booth on game day wired up with a headset so he can tell Schotty what a dipsh*t he is over the course of a game?

Tom Moore confirms he’s a Jet

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 21, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT

AP

We’ve mentioned the possibility of longtime Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore joining the Jets a few times this offseason. Now Moore has confirmed the news to the New York Post.

“I just have so much respect for Rex [Ryan] and his staff and the organization. When he made the offer, I couldn’t refuse it,” Moore told the New York Post.

So the Jets beat the Colts last January, and now they are stealing their employees. (Moore was apparently not wanted back in Indy.)

The Ravens reportedly were also interested in Moore, who didn’t want to comment on that. Moore will officially be a “consultant” for the Jets after giving Ryan some tips on red zone offense earlier in the offseason.

Moore will mostly work from his home in South Carolina, where he will review game tapes and give the Jets staff observations.

Really worried about this move. If Moore is here to help Schotty turn the passing game into an even more complicated sh*tshow than it already is, Sanchez is doomed. They should be making things LESS complicated, not more. Just give the reins to Callahan already.

When I read the title, the first thing that popped into my mind was, let me guess, T0m shane does not like this.

BINGO!

This is a clear sign that the Jets are going to make a move on Manning since he's a FA

Probably wishful thinking...but some of you guys on JN are really good with computer graphics...could someone put Peyton Manning in a Jets' uniform with #18 on his jersey. Bet he'd look awesome!

:P

Really worried about this move. If Moore is here to help Schotty turn the passing game into an even more complicated shitshow than it already is, Sanchez is doomed. They should be making things LESS complicated, not more. Just give the reins to Callahan already.

Moore is going to be working from home. Expect this to be more intertaction with the coaching staff, game plan review and working on play calling (in the red zone) more than anything else. I doubt Moore will want to have much direct contact with the players. He can still get paid and work from home...doesn't have to live the grind of an NFL coach.

Moore is going to be working from home. Expect this to be more intertaction with the coaching staff, game plan review and working on play calling (in the red zone) more than anything else. I doubt Moore will want to have much direct contact with the players. He can still get paid and work from home...doesn't have to live the grind of an NFL coach.

Post #18 has him pictured working with some of the guys.

jets.gif

Brian Costello of the NY Post reported today that the New York Jets have hired ex-Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore as a consultant.

Moore, who spent 12 years running the Indianapolis offense, was one of several coaches the Jets brought in during the lockout to meet with the coaching staff. Moore came to New Jersey in April and June. After the second session, Rex Ryan offered him a job with the team.

“Rex and I go way back,” Moore said Thursday. “We’ve had some great games against each other. I just have so much respect for Rex and his staff and the organization. When he made the offer, I couldn’t refuse it.”

Moore is 72 years old and has been coaching since 1961.  Brian Schottenheimer is 37 years old and has been coaching since 1997.  Can you say mentor?  Most people would be hard pressed to pick a better mentor as well.  With all that Tom Moore has accomplished in this game, he has been a coach on three Super Bowl winning teams, the role of consultant works out perfectly.

Gone are the long hours of being an NFL coach.  Moore has been the Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator since 1998.  This role allows him to work remotely and work directly with the coaching staff to improve upon their play calling and game planning.

Many Jets fans wanted Brian Schottenheimer fired after the Jets sub par performance in the AFC Championship game against the Steelers last season.  The Jets took another approach which will make their post-lockout transition much smoother.  Coaching continuity is going to be very important this season.  NFL coaches have not been able to communicate with their players during the lockout.  With the new league year still in limbo, teams that have to install new systems are going to be at a disadvantage, especially early in the season.  Trying to implement a new system, without the luxury of off season workouts, mini camp or even giving the players the playbook ahead of time is going to prove to be a challenging task.

The Jets realize there is plenty of room to improve offensively and made the right move by not starting over.  This allows them to hit the ground running once the new CBA is in place.  For more information please visit in our NY Jets fan forum.

di</img>di</img>

koKOSJ9APLA

View the full article

Remember when Westhoff had to step down as special teams coach because of illness?

The Jets then hired the special teams guy from Chicago.

When Westhoff felt good enough to return, he came back as an "advisor" to the special teams with the

Chicago guy still as special teams coach. A few weeks later Westhoff was named special teams coach with the Chicago guy as an "advisor" who was quickly forgotten.

Now Tom Moore is coming over as an "advisor" to the offense. Hmmm......

Archived