Taylor Mays traded to Bengals

Jetsfan80

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/43513/taylor-mays-trade-and-costs-of-turnover

Taylor Mays trade and costs of turnover

By Mike Sando

Coaching changes and overall franchise instability tend to have long-term ramifications.

While Aaron Curry's new contract with the Seattle Seahawks comes after an organizational overhaul in the Northwest, Taylor Mays' trade from the San Francisco 49ers to the Cincinnati Bengals reflects changes in Santa Clara.

Mays no longer fit with the 49ers after the team fired coach Mike Singletary and replaced most of his staff. The 49ers made it clear Mays had little value to them when they notified teams throughout the league of the 2010 second-round pick's availability.

Teams had to know Mays would be a candidate for release, but the Bengals aren't exactly the most attractive suitor from a free agent's perspective. That might explain in part why Cincinnati swung a trade instead of taking their chances.

The trade will return an undisclosed draft choice, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Mays joins 49ers castoffs Nate Clements and Manny Lawson on the Bengals.

The 49ers are fortunate most of their 2010 draft class still fits following the change from Singletary to Jim Harbaugh. First-rounders Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati are starters. The team thinks third-round linebacker Navorro Bowman has a bright future. Sixth-rounder Nate Byham was emerging as a top blocking tight end before suffering a season-ending injury.

I liked this kid alot but im happy with the way Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard are playing Safety.

Eric Smith doesn't look like the same player so far this year. He has been very impressive.

I am waiting for a personal foul to restore my faith in Eric Smith.

Eric Smith doesn't look like the same player so far this year. He has been very impressive.

Max I think hes the real deal. He seems to have a better grasp on the run and pass coverage.

Max I think hes the real deal. He seems to have a better grasp on the run and pass coverage.

I cant wait till the first few games when I can bump this thread and laugh at all the Eric Smith love in this bitch.Lol. Its the preseason, anyone can look good. Look at clowney

I cant wait till the first few games when I can bump this thread and laugh at all the Eric Smith love in this bitch.Lol. Its the preseason, anyone can look good. Look at clowney

I think that's a little much. Me and JiF have been the most notorious Eric Smith haters on this entire board, but even we have had to give him credit for his play at the end of last season and so far this preseason. Frankly, as much crap as I've talked about the guy over the years, nothing would make me happier than for him to completely shut me up and play like this throughout the season, and I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to see him continue to play at a higher level. Would you really rather be able to bump a thread in order to pull an "I told you so"?

he was a beast in the playoff game against the Patsies! hopefully he plays like that every week!

I think that's a little much. Me and JiF have been the most notorious Eric Smith haters on this entire board, but even we have had to give him credit for his play at the end of last season and so far this preseason. Frankly, as much crap as I've talked about the guy over the years, nothing would make me happier than for him to completely shut me up and play like this throughout the season, and I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to see him continue to play at a higher level. Would you really rather be able to bump a thread in order to pull an "I told you so"?

I would have that happen, if I thought it was possible. Eric Smith has sucked so bad whenever I used to watch him that I will never lose my hatred for him. I do not believe he will be good this year, to me he is still a liability on the football field. Keep him on STs, hopefully he messes up enough the first game of the season to bench him and get us to sign/ trade for a ballhawk at FS.

Archived