The CUTS begin

visajets

Willy is pure PS material. If Jets worried about QB depth because of injuries then they'd go after vets like Clemens.

I agree, but I thought they'd hold onto him for week one, then seek veteran help the following week - when veteran salaries are no longer guaranteed.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but I thought they'd hold onto him for week one, then seek veteran help the following week - when veteran salaries are no longer guaranteed.

Jets want to PS him now since they need 24 hrs to clear. Cutting him when they did means he can be added to the PS at the same time everyone has to be at 53. In other words there is a low probability someone picks him up now.

I can't see keeping Bellore AND Berning. I like them both, but 4 ILBs plus Westerman who has played there in the past is a bit much. I'm surprised that Tracy Wilson and Posey lasted this long and if they liked Trufant so much,why did he run off to Philly? They are really going to carry Turner 6-8 weeks until he's ready to play? .

I can't see keeping Bellore AND Berning. I like them both, but 4 ILBs plus Westerman who has played there in the past is a bit much. I'm surprised that Tracy Wilson and Posey lasted this long and if they liked Trufant so much,why did he run off to Philly? They are really going to carry Turner 6-8 weeks until he's ready to play? .

Turner is hurt? I thought it was Payne that is hurt...

Turner could be ready before week 8 of the season. But I think they have no choice but to carry him, he backs up every damn spot on that line.

I'll tell you, one thing that the Patriots do that the Jets don't (but should) is cut ties with underacheiving high draft picks. The Jets will hold on to the worst scrubs and give them a roster spot just because he was drafted high. The Pats will cut any player if another is playing better. It doesn't matter if that guy was a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder picked the previous April they will replace them with the better player-the Jets never will...sucks too we lose out on guys who can contribute. Danny Woodhead, Chauncey Washington anyone?

I'll tell you, one thing that the Patriots do that the Jets don't (but should) is cut ties with underacheiving high draft picks. The Jets will hold on to the worst scrubs and give them a roster spot just because he was drafted high. The Pats will cut any player if another is playing better. It doesn't matter if that guy was a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder picked the previous April they will replace them with the better player-the Jets never will...sucks too we lose out on guys who can contribute. Danny Woodhead, Chauncey Washington anyone?

This is dead-on accurate. I'd argue that keeping a high-priced, high profile player that doesn't contribute significantly for more than two seasons hurts your team beyond just a lost roster spot. I believe it negatively effects the locker room as well. Jamaal westerman should've gotten a ton of snaps the last few seasons, instead he's been been on ice waiting for us to cut bait with Gholston. Someone mentioned Gallery earlier. Even though he became a fair/decent guard, he's basically playing a position that could've been filled with a sixth round project for a fraction of the price. Instead he pulled a ton of cash while better players around him played for league minimum. Ducasse was drafted to contribute immediately, though everyone here claims he was drafted, a second rounder, to be a long-term project. He was drafted to fill Faneca's spot and was in a competition with Slauson for the position. He got beat out by a sixth round "project" and has never been close to getting into the linuep. But we won't cut bait with an obvious mistake--because that would be admitting we missed on a draft pick. Just like McKnight (who traded up for) and Wilson (who has proven he just doesn't have it.)

This is dead-on accurate. I'd argue that keeping a high-priced, high profile player that doesn't contribute significantly for more than two seasons hurts your team beyond just a lost roster spot. I believe it negatively effects the locker room as well. Jamaal westerman should've gotten a ton of snaps the last few seasons, instead he's been been on ice waiting for us to cut bait with Gholston. Someone mentioned Gallery earlier. Even though he became a fair/decent guard, he's basically playing a position that could've been filled with a sixth round project for a fraction of the price. Instead he pulled a ton of cash while better players around him played for league minimum. Ducasse was drafted to contribute immediately, though everyone here claims he was drafted, a second rounder, to be a long-term project. He was drafted to fill Faneca's spot and was in a competition with Slauson for the position. He got beat out by a sixth round "project" and has never been close to getting into the linuep. But we won't cut bait with an obvious mistake--because that would be admitting we missed on a draft pick. Just like McKnight (who traded up for) and Wilson (who has proven he just doesn't have it.)

Ducasse was drafted to replace Woody... not Faneca.

QB: Drew Willy (will return to practice squad assuming he clears waivers)

OL: Dennis Landolt, Nevin McCaskill, Peter Clifford, Trevor Canfield, Zane Taylor

WR: Dan DePalma, Michael Campbell, Scotty McKnight, Patrick Turner

RB: Chris Jennings

LB: Joey Laroque, Brashton Satele

OLB: Eddie Jones

CB: Ellis Lankster

TE: Keith Zinger, Josh Baker*

S: Davon Morgan, Byron Landor

DE: Lorenzo Washington

Ducasse was drafted to replace Woody... not Faneca.

Ducasse was most certainly drafted to replace Faneca. The plan was always to convert him to guard due to his footwork. The Jets were ridiculously lucky in the fact that Slauson surprised the hell out of everyone by showing he could actually do the work.

Some big names here...I thought Tate was going to turn into a draft steal for them too once he got healthy...

• Despite two consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, S Brandon Meriweather was cut by the Patriots, who drafted him in the first round in 2007. New England also released WR Brandon Tate, one of the league's top kick returners.
  • The agent for Perrish Cox says the Denver Broncos have waived the struggling CB. Cox started nine times as a rookie and is facing a sexual assault case that is scheduled for trial this year. He has pleaded not guilty and is free on $50,000 bail.
  • The Bears cut RB Chester Taylor after signing him to a four-year, $12.5 million contract with $7 million guaranteed in 2010. He ran for just 267 yards while averaging a career-low 2.4 per carry.
  • The Cowboys cut DT Igor Olshansky, who signed a four-year free agent contract in 2009 and has started 28 games since.
  • The Denver Post reports that TE Dante Rosario has been released by the Broncos. Rosario was drafted by the Panthers in the fifth-round in 2007 and started for the bulk of four seasons.
  • After struggling with a knee injury during his bid to convert to safety, Brandon Underwood was released by the Packers.
  • The Tennessean reports that DE Jacob Ford and WR Justin Gage were both cut by the Titans. Gage had 12 TD catches in four years as a Titan. Ford started five games and had 42 tackles last year.
  • The Colts cut former Bears DT Tommie Harris, according to profootballtalk.com. Harris was a Pro Bowler in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
  • The Bengals released OG Max Jean-Gilles, according to profootballtalk.com. Jean-Giles started 10 games last year for the Eagles.
  • Belichick's Patriots cut RB Sammy Morris, who rushed for 727 yards and seven TDs last year.
  • The 49ers cut No. 3 QB Josh McCown, a starter with the Raiders in 2007 and the Cardinals in 2004.

Archived