Woody Johnson backs Herm at press conference today: MERGED

faba

'Herm's not leaving,' Jets owner Johnson saysAssociated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets owner Woody Johnson vowed coach Herman Edwards would return to the team next season, saying Wednesday "Herm's not leaving."

Speculation has centered around Edwards being a candidate for a possible job opening in Kansas City should Dick Vermeil retire. Edwards did little to quell the talk last week when he wondered about his future with the organization, then backpedaled and said he wanted to stay with the team.

The vote of confidence came three days after Johnson brushed aside questions on Edwards' future following a 27-0 loss to Denver. Rather than comment on the coach, Johnson would only say the team "gave it all it gave" and kept walking as reporters tried to ask him questions.

On Wednesday, Johnson discussed his coach and struggling team (2-8), mired in a five-game losing streak.

"I think he's performing fabulously," Johnson said. "We're not winning, but he's doing everything he can to win and I think the team is doing everything they can to win. When I'm down at league meetings and I talk to my colleagues down there, they say, 'Woody, this happens, unfortunately."'

Edwards has two years left on his contract, and it is believed he wants an extension because he is faced with another rebuilding effort. When asked about the prospects of giving Edwards an extension, Johnson declined comment.

"The answer of the question is that he wants to be here and I want him here," Johnson said. "We're not going to talk about contracts and so on, but I can't make it any clearer: I think Herm's great. He's great for this team."

Johnson addressed the team following practice and pledged his support to the team and Edwards.

"He didn't have to do that because I know our stand with Mr. Johnson, we've had a relationship for five years, a very good working relationship," Edwards said. "Our relationship was formed on one thing and one thing only: trust. We both trust each other, we both understand what we're trying to do here."

This proves that Woody Johnson is full of sh!t when he says that he's a fan first.

He's just like everybody else. He's just in this for the money. The only way for this team to do what we want them to do is stop going to games & stop buying Jets merchandise.

When Woody feels the pinch of no merchandise sales and less & less people going to Jets games, that's when he do something to improve this team.

As far as Bradway goes, he won't fire Herm either because he, Herm & Hackett were all friends when they were with Kansas City.

IMO we're all screwed for the next 5 years because even if Herm does go after next year, he's ruined this team so bad that it will take at least 5-6 years to make this a team that makes a run at the playoffs again.

F Herm, F Bradway, & F Johnson!!! :evil:

Here is the transcript:

New York Jets' Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson

On how Coach Herm Edwards is performing in his job.

I think he's performing it fabulously. I mean, we're not winning, but he's doing everything he can to win and I think the team is doing everything they can to win. It's just one of those things with team sports, I never have had to go through this. When I'm down at league meetings and I talk to my colleagues down there. They say, "Woody, this happens unfortunately."

On the speculation of Herm leaving.

Herm's not leaving. It's a free world, but I don't want him to leave. I've never wanted him to leave. He doesn't want to leave, we talk all the time and I'm very happy with Herm. Herm and I discussed the possibility of losing years ago, when I first interviewed him. We sat down for a couple of hours to speak after we hired him and looked at (Don) Shula and what kind of coach Shula was, and that's the coach I admire because he was with essentially two teams his whole career. You don't want to lose, but losing is inevitable if you're in this sport long enough. What Herm is doing is trying to build a culture here, a culture of winning. If we have a bad year, we're still building the culture. We want the best for our young players on this team. We feel we have a responsibility to build a winning environment and to try to win.

On the injuries.

Well it is what it is. I wish it was 8-2 rather than 2-8. We're going to do everything we can when we play NO in an evening game. It'll be nice and cold but we're going to do everything we can to win. We haven't lost our focus on winning and we're going to do everything we can to win. I have confidence with this coaching staff they will give it everything they have and the players are good.

On giving Herm an extension.

We're not going to talk about that. He's got two years left. The answer of the question is that he wants to be here and I want him here. Extensions and all of that are just part of what we do.

On the possibility of giving Herm an extension.

We're not going to talk about contracts and so on, but I can't make it any clearer, I think Herm's great. I think he's great for this team and I personally like him. Players respond to him.

On the losing season.

This is just something I know. I mean, you're going to have bad years like you do in a business like anything, in life. At the first sign of something going wrong, we're not going to jump ship. We're going to try and win games, but we realize that you might lose some games. I go into the season thinking we'll win all 16. I don't think we'll be 10-6 or anything like that.

On anything happening in the next six weeks that would altar his feelings towards Herm.

No, I think we all see what's going on. We're trying to work it out and hopefully we'll be successful on Sunday.

On giving KC permission to speak with Herm.

I'm not going to get into that. Herm's going to be here. Herm's here.

On talking with Herm about him going to KC.

No. We've been on the same page for five years now. Herm and I speak multiple times a week and so I can tell when somebody wants to be here. Herm wants to be here and I want him here.

On if another team at the end of the year has an interest in Herm what would happen.

I don't know, that's speculation. He wants to be here. He likes it here. He has a job to do and he's doing a good job. We want him here; I want him here.

On if another team called what would he say.

My response is that I'm not going to speculate on speculation. I'm just going to tell you that he wants to be here and I want him here. We're very happy. We're not happy losing and we want to win this week, but I'm very happy with Herm. I think he's a great leader for the team and hopefully he'll be a great leader for many years to come.

On his confidence in Herm.

I have 100 percent confidence in Herm. I really do.

On his confidence in other members of the organization.

Well, Herm is in charge of the coaches. I like the coaches but that's in Herm's department. If Herm is happy, than I am happy.

On his confidence in Terry Bradway and Mike Tannenbaum.

I think we have a great team here, I really do although it's a little discouraging when you're 2-8. Not really discouraging, but we don't like the record but we're going to win this week. I'm not going to make any guarantees, but we're going to try.

On seeing everyone the he placed here as being part of the "winning culture".

Absolutely. You have to have a culture of life and responsibility. It's very important that the players know that, the coaches know that and the fans know that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2234809

Woody Johnson is a nice guy, and has some money; But he cares about the Jets winning about as much as Mayor Bloomberg does.

Woody is a businessman, and he bought the Jets in hopes to get that stadium deal, and make a big profit off of it.

He doesn't care about the fans or the overall outcome on the field, and WOULD move this team if he could profit of it, and he may if he doesn't get his stadium..

Why is Herm still here? Woody doesn't care.. Why is Bradway still here? Woody doesn't care..

I have never seen an owner more out of the loop then Woody Johnson.. Terry Bradway has the keys to this organization(personel wise) and its not right..

We won't win a superbowl with Woody as owner..

Not that Im blaming the guy.. If he can make a buck he has every right to do it.. This ain't communism.. its the FREE MARKET BABY!!!

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets owner Woody Johnson vowed coach Herman Edwards would return to the team next season, saying Wednesday "Herm's not leaving." "I think he's performing fabulously," Johnson said. "We're not winning, but he's doing everything he can to win and I think the team is doing everything they can to win. .... I think Herm's great. He's great for this team."

THAT IT! F THAT! I AM NOW A COLTS FAN!!!

Here is the transcript:

New York Jets' Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson

On how Coach Herm Edwards is performing in his job.

I think he's performing it fabulously. I mean, we're not winning, but he's doing everything he can to win and I think the team is doing everything they can to win. It's just one of those things with team sports, I never have had to go through this. When I'm down at league meetings and I talk to my colleagues down there. They say, "Woody, this happens unfortunately."

The first bolded statement is the problem. Woody is clearly not a fan if he says he has never been through this before. Also, wtf was he talking to at the owners meetings? Tom Benson?

Herm is to Woody what Kotite was to Hess. He has a soft spot for him.

BTW Woody Shula had 2 losing seasons in 30 years of coaching. Herm has 2 in 5. Big difference moron. I know you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and now have a fat trust fund and people thinking for you. But could you show a little intelligence here?

Bottom line is I do not care anymore. I will not watch the 2006 new york jets if Herm Edwards is the coach and seriously think about getting onto the Patriots season ticket waiting list. Kraft maybe slimmy but atleast he cares about his fans.

The first bolded statement is the problem. Woody is clearly not a fan if he says he has never been through this before. Also, wtf was he talking to at the owners meetings? Tom Benson?

Herm is to Woody what Kotite was to Hess. He has a soft spot for him.

BTW Woody Shula had 2 losing seasons in 30 years of coaching. Herm has 2 in 5. Big difference moron. I know you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and now have a fat trust fund and people thinking for you. But could you show a little intelligence here?

Bottom line is I do not care anymore. I will not watch the 2006 new york jets if Herm Edwards is the coach and seriously think about getting onto the Patriots season ticket waiting list. Kraft maybe slimmy but atleast he cares about his fans.

Its just a game pal chill out.. You would never be a REAL Pats fan anyway..

Why does Woody have to care about the fans? He purchased the Jets as a FINANCIAL INVESTMENT!! As long as hes making $ the team record is irrevlevant, and if he has every right to feel this way. Its his team.. he owns it..

If some mystical creature came up to Woody, and said "Woody.. who would you want to win the superbow?" Im sure he would say the Jets..

Its just a game pal chill out.. You would never be a REAL Pats fan anyway..

Why does Woody have to care about the fans? He purchased the Jets as a FINANCIAL INVESTMENT!! As long as hes making $ the team record is irrevlevant, and if he has every right to feel this way. Its his team.. he owns it..

If some mystical creature came up to Woody, and said "Woody.. who would you want to win the superbow?" Im sure he would say the Jets..

I'm really not angry about this. It is no big deal. This notion of "real fan" is where fans make a mistake. There is no loyalty in sports anymore. Therefore, why should fans be loyal? The players, coaches, and owners are all not loyal. Therefore fans don't have to be either. When you root for a team you also buy a product. And if that product is not up to your standards then you shouldn't have to buy it anymore and after this season, I will no longer buy this product. It is just like cars. Lets say I always buy Fords. But this year VW's are the better built, and better bargain. Can I then not switch what I like? The answer is - yes, I can. Again, we are all just consumers and not fans. And at this point I'm a very unsatisfied consumer and like I stated earlier if Herm is not here I will put myself on the Pats waiting list. I will scan it and post it here along with my cancelation off the Jets waiting list. I will then study the Pats history and be a knowledgable Pats fan.

This proves that Woody Johnson is full of sh!t when he says that he's a fan first.

He's just like everybody else. He's just in this for the money. The only way for this team to do what we want them to do is stop going to games & stop buying Jets merchandise.

When Woody feels the pinch of no merchandise sales and less & less people going to Jets games, that's when he do something to improve this team.

As far as Bradway goes, he won't fire Herm either because he, Herm & Hackett were all friends when they were with Kansas City.

IMO we're all screwed for the next 5 years because even if Herm does go after next year, he's ruined this team so bad that it will take at least 5-6 years to make this a team that makes a run at the playoffs again.

F Herm, F Bradway, & F Johnson!!! :evil:

Showing up at the stadium with a bag on your head -or not showing up at all- isn't going to change anything, cause the tickets were sold in advance, so Woody already got his money. Cancelling your season subscription won't solve the problem, neither, since there is a waiting list full of suckers ready to take your place.

The only way I see we can really affect change is to boycott CBS. Just flood them with letters, telling them that not only will you be unplugging the tv when the Jets are broadcast- or for you guys outside the NY area who get two games, you will turn on the other network- but you will boycott all CBS shows because you are absolutely disgusted with the product Woody Johnson puts on the field.

If we stopped watching, advertisers will request lower rates and as the ratings dropped, CBS could lowball Woody during the next contract negotiation. If the ratings dropped low enough, no other network would even bid for the rights to broadcast this garbage.

I know I'll do my part. I know that I'll experience some satisfaction in shutting the tv off or changing the channel when the Jets go on. Because I have finally had it.

To all you Hermaphrodites, I have but one thing left to say to you:

You deserve this team. You really do. By golly, you earned it.

I've seen this on this board. And now it's creeping into the Jets' own statements by the owner, the GM and the coach. IT'S INJURIES!The reality is much worse than that. And its' crept into this team's psyche that this whole year is a do over and we can just blame it all on injuries and it's no big deal.

Everyone seems far too comfortable with the injury excuse. There are other teams like the Pats and the Bears with injuries as bad or almost as bad who will make the playoffs.The Eagles are a mess, and I'd bet today they finish .500. The 1999 Jets were as devastated as this team and finished a respectable 8-8.

Simple fact-everyone associatd with this franchise is taking the easy way out and not holding anyone accountable. Someone has to answer for this.

If Pennington wasn't ready, why did he start over Fielder?

If Bollinger is so deficient that a 42-year old, winging nerfs to his kids while Bolly was in camp, starts over him, why was he on the roster in the first place? And what kind of camp and program are the Jets running?

And as to injuries, what role did John Lott's departure play in them? Lott was a no nonsense Parcells holdover guy. In Parcells' first season, he laid down the law about how many games were lost to injury before he got here, "voluntary" workouts and conditioning were made pratically mandatory. It's clear soemthing has since changed under this regime, and not for the better.

Simply if Johnson doesn't recognize there's a serious problem with the way this franchise is being run, then he needs to know we as fans recognize the problem. And how we go about that is something to think about between now and 1/1/2006 if those responsible for this debacle aren't fired. And sadly right now Johnson seems to view this franchise as a plaything, a crapped out longshot bet he had on a Manhattan stadium.

I'm all ears.

I'm really not angry about this. It is no big deal. This notion of "real fan" is where fans make a mistake. There is no loyalty in sports anymore. Therefore, why should fans be loyal? The players, coaches, and owners are all not loyal. Therefore fans don't have to be either. When you root for a team you also buy a product. And if that product is not up to your standards then you shouldn't have to buy it anymore and after this season, I will no longer buy this product. It is just like cars. Lets say I always buy Fords. But this year VW's are the better built, and better bargain. Can I then not switch what I like? The answer is - yes, I can. Again, we are all just consumers and not fans. And at this point I'm a very unsatisfied consumer and like I stated earlier if Herm is not here I will put myself on the Pats waiting list. I will scan it and post it here along with my cancelation off the Jets waiting list. I will then study the Pats history and be a knowledgable Pats fan.

I hear you. I'm done with the Jets. I really am. For the first time in my life, I've not only looked at something logically, rationally and pragmatically, but I'm actually going to put into action steps that will remove a pathology from my behavior.

And if all fans of this team did that, they would abandon ship, too.

The only thing that keeps us coming back to this ring to get beaten, over and over and over, year after year, is emotion and blind loyalty.

It's all a bunch of psychological buggery.

Look, I've always been able to rationalize the Jets as something symbolic, but it's not. In reality, it's an institution; a franchise. The institution is made flesh by Woody, Terry and Herm.

Three dildo's. No idea can prevail it's reality.

It is what it is. LOOK AT IT. Describe what you see.

What's going to change? Nothing.

I feel nothing but pain. It's up to me to CUT THIS ABCESS FROM MY LIFE, ONCE AND FOR ALL!

Tomorrow I'm removing my Jets license plate frame, and scraping the Jets bumper sticker from my car. Days from now, I'm going to burn all my Jets shirts and stuff. I want to be purified of this, once and for all. I ridicule myself for all the things those symbols stood for. I believed in an idea; a vision.

All fairy tales and lies.

To Herman Edwards: I see right through you! You ain't nothing but a confidence man. I admire your nerve though; it takes sheer balls to go back to the same well twice- the sheer brilliance employed in planting that "Atlanta wants to hire me" story in the press to get your first contract extension would have made Josef Goebbels blush, but to do it again, during a season of monumental collapse, and using Dick Vermeil and Lamar Hunt as dupes-

Goebels would have thrown up all over himself.

To Terry Bradway: What you have done to this offensive line, that alone should be enough to demonstrate your total incompetence.

To Woody Johnson: Bow down before the one you serve YOU'RE GOING TO GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! :evil:

Dear Moses, and Sherry

Buh-Bye

Buh-Bye

I will be back to post ffrom time to time because I consider some of you my freinds. But I'm no longer a Jet fan - not sure for how long. But it is apparent that I have been spending 25 years waisting my time buying a product that fails all tests.

I cannot bring myself to do what they're doing-yet.

If they-the trimuverate of dunces as above-think they're going to do the same nonsense in 2006, I really have to question hwy anyone would root for this team.

Definition of clinical insanity is to see the same exact set of variables over and over and to inexplicaby expect a different outcome. And when you plug in at least 2 of those variables-Bradway and Edwards-the outcome is not going to be good. The only variable in play really is what Johnson wants to do. And based on this, nothwthstanding today's comments, it might not be set in stone.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

WOODY CALLS OUT KING CARL

While the ward of words between Steve Young and Phil Simms has gotten far more play, another verbal confrontation of note occurred during the recent owners' meetings in Kansas City, between Jets owner Woody Johnson and Chiefs G.M. Carl Peterson.

Per a league source, Johnson confronted Peterson regarding rumors that Jets coach Herm Edwards could try to replace Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil, if Vermeil retires.

Peterson, we hear, denied responsibility for the rumors, and suggested instead that Johnson explore whether the story first came from his own organization.

Indeed, we'd heard from multiple league sources that Edwards privately has been talking about his desire to get out of New York. We've also heard that a long list of potential candidates has been assembled for the Chiefs job, and that the team has in no way locked its focus onto Edwards.

So, in hindsight, Edwards should have kept his mouth shut. By commenting on a "don't tell anyone" basis with a handful of folks, most have spread the information on a "don't tell anyone" basis.

And, as we all know, most people tell at least one person something they've heard on a "don't tell anyone" basis, on a "don't tell anyone" basis. Inevitably, the media catches wind of it, questions are asked on the record, and everyone involved gets backed into a corner.

That's precisely what happened here. Now, Edwards is stuck with Johnson, and vice-versa.

I can't get past the fact that one kick kept us from the AFC Championship last year. And herm coached that team.

If we had that team (with it's health) this year, we'd own this division.

Jerry-

Problem with that kind of thinking is that one year means nothing for the next year.

Will never forget Parcells press conference after Denver in January 1999 when the press was trying tog et him to say the Jets were in good shape for the 1999 season. And Parcells stopped that talk cold by saying that each year is a new enterprise.And way too often under Edwards this team and it's players talk a load of sheet without doing the hard work the task requires. And that includes Hermie.

You look at that missed kick and see greatness. I see a lost opportunity that wasn't grasped fully because of incompetence. And based on this franchise we don't get them often. Besides, had they played the Pats in the AFC title game in Foxboro, Bellichick steals Hermie's lunch money again.

JEJ-

You root for the Yankees as well. Even if he was constrained by the cap, would Steinbrenner take this casual injury excuseathon so gently?

JEJ-

You root for the Yankees as well. Even if he was constrained by the cap, would Steinbrenner take this casual injury excuseathon so gently?

I think he'd have too

Bugg

We're not talking about just the 1st and 2nd string QB's here....we're talking about a good portion of the team being out for the season

WE have an offensive line that might not start for a college team right now, yet we still are looking for wins?

This team has a nice base of talent that an offseason, and a solid draft can fix

What the Jets lost would be equivalent to the Yanks losing their entire infield, and Mo

No chance to save the season

That's how I look at it. moist of these clowns think winning a football game is easy stuff. Most of these guys who feel this way more than likely played Atari football, not the real thing

Woody Johnson could care less about what happens on the field. All he knows right now is he wants a stadium and a traning facility and the on field product is a distant second. The man has no clue how to own a football team and deep down the fact is he could care less about the on the field product. Woody is just as bad as Hess. Deep down he gives 2 craps less about what happens on the field. Sure every so often he provides some lip service, but in the end he could care less. Could you imagine Kraft or Jerry Jones sitting back watching his team go to crap like Woody has?

I think someone had it right. Enough yelling at Herm, yell at Woody for being the overall leader of this franchise where failure is such a foundation that 1st round playoff wins equate to Super Bowl victories.

This season has been weird. Usually watching the games at home my parents and I couldn't watch it in the same room(I'd just get too angry)

This year I watch and I don't even care anymore. I really don't. Herm's taken everything out of me. It's the same nonsense week after week. He's not getting better. If, herm, Bradway, Chad, Curtis are all back next season starting-- I'm done. The crazy thing is, IT MAY ACTUALLY HAPPEN.

I see some stupid commericial last weekend, and who's the first idiot I see flashing the biggest sh*t eating grin flying some spaceship? It was Herm. The guy looks for press. The rest of America see's herm everywhere, talking about nothing and it blinds them from seeing his true incompetance to be a head coach.

Archived