Why not cut Pennington next year?

GlennFoley

There are about 18-24 million reasons why you will not cut him.

Whether he is cut on or after June 1st, swallong that much money is difficult. The Jets would be better served giving him a year to heal and cutting him after 2006.

Unless the TV contract is finalized and cap goes up significantly, like it is anticapted to, it is too early to totally give up on him. Yes, draft/trade for a 2006 starter, but keep the 64 million dollar man around another year to avoid totally nuking your team.

Keep this in mind, if there is not a new CBA, then you can't cut people after June 1st. Well, you can cut them, but you won't get an added savings. This is because you can not spread the cap hit over 2 seasons when one of them is the uncapped year.

With that said, you get 0 savings by cutting him. Unless he's restructured, he counts 12M on our 2006 cap regardless if he's on the team.

The way you save money is by restructuring him.

Cutting him would be a huge mistake. I mean, since he's going to cost the same anyway, you may as well restructure him or just keep him.

There are about 18-24 million reasons why you will not cut him.

Whether he is cut on or after June 1st, swallong that much money is difficult. The Jets would be better served giving him a year to heal and cutting him after 2006.

Unless the TV contract is finalized and cap goes up significantly, like it is anticapted to, it is too early to totally give up on him. Yes, draft/trade for a 2006 starter, but keep the 64 million dollar man around another year to avoid totally nuking your team.

Keep this in mind, if there is not a new CBA, then you can't cut people after June 1st. Well, you can cut them, but you won't get an added savings. This is because you can not spread the cap hit over 2 seasons when one of them is the uncapped year.

With that said, you get 0 savings by cutting him. Unless he's restructured, he counts 12M on our 2006 cap regardless if he's on the team.

Cutting him would be a huge mistake. I mean, since he's going to cost the same anyway, you may as well restructure him or just keep him.

Yes, but everything you said is contingent to THIS year.. If we cut him this year going into a year where we won't win anyway we will have the cap room for the '07 or '08 season.

I rather just take the cap hit right now, and have the space to use it in an important offseason.

Not really. You still have a big cap hit for him this year and it would STILL cost a ton to cut him later. Plus isn't he owed another $4M or something like that in Feb (you're the resident cap guru)? So we'd be ADDING more money that has to come off the cap.

We are not winning a SB next year with all the holes on offense. THAT is a year to take our lumps. JMO.

Yes, but everything you said is contingent to THIS year.. If we cut him this year going into a year where we won't win anyway we will have the cap room for the '07 or '08 season.

I rather just take the cap hit right now, and have the space to use it in an important offseason.

You want to take a 12M cap hit next year with our D in decent shape? You're crazy. You do not want to blow this up totally... that'll be a mistake.

The man risked his entire career last season playing with a torn cuff.

Risked it for the team.

You really think they're cutting him?

No way this FO cuts that kid.

Only a change in GM and coach will not see Chad have one more crack at rehabbing that wing.

IMO he's earned the right to try and come back...he's a freaking warrior that should be commended.

It's almost cheaper to keep him for 2006. He gets to get healthy and compete for the job.

But that's it.

Please-No more of this "warrior" crap.I hate that freaking cliche. He's not a soldier, marine , sailor or airman. You do a disservice to their service by saying it, thougth I'm sure you eamnt no harm or disrespect. And it's empty. You might as well call him a milkman; it's about as logical. He's a football player.

This regime has handed out jobs without any competition on reputation and relationships rather than talent and production.And it's cost them big time. Have a real QB hunt. Heck, do it at every position. Instead, whether you're good buddies with the coach or his wife shops with yours decides who plays.

And hopefully all of this Woody Johnson crap is just that. Because if the Master Motivator is coming back it doesn't even matter.

How does calling him a warrior disrespect our military?

In a world of "me first" players, Chad Pennington is a breath of fresh air.

So says me:

Sgt Korpan

C Co 1/8 Cav

1st Cav Division

Fort Hood, Tx.

I've been to the desert and know what a soldier and hero look like.

I'm not confusing them with football players.

How does calling him a warrior disrespect our military?

In a world of "me first" players, Chad Pennington is a breath of fresh air.

So says me:

Sgt Korpan

C Co 1/8 Cav

1st Cav Division

Fort Hood, Tx.

I've been to the desert and know what a soldier and hero look like.

I'm not confusing them with football players.

My father died in desert storm... Does that make him a hero? I think hes more of a victim..

Heroes get attention.. My father was a "body".. one of 383...

I am probably going to end up in Iraq too, and if I die I don't want to be labled a hero, because im not... You think Im gonna go there because I love America? **** America..I'll go for the $$$. My father went there for America, and America killed him.. If I get into big trouble.. I'll run away like a coward..

I honestly don't like any of you Americans.. I don't consider myself an American, because I am a human being.. Im not afraid to kill a towel head, because they deserve to die as well...

My father died in desert storm... Does that make him a hero? I think hes more of a victim..

I am probably going to end up in Iraq too, and if I die I don't want to be labled a hero, because im not... You think Im gonna go there because I love America? F#ck America..I'll go for the $$$. My father went there for America, and America killed him.. If I get into big trouble.. I'll run away like a coward..

I honestly don't like any of you Americans.. I don't consider myself an American, because I am a human being.. Im not afraid to kill a towel head, because they deserve to die as well...

Will somebody ban this F uck already?

I am probably going to end up in Iraq too, and if I die I don't want to be labled a hero, because im not... You think Im gonna go there because I love America? F#ck America..I'll go for the $$$. My father went there for America, and America killed him.. If I get into big trouble.. I'll run away like a coward..

GF -

"The problem with youth is it is wasted on the young."

You do not consider yourself an American, but yet you are using your rights as an American to express your opinion. The great thing about being an American, you can express yourself and live to tell about it. That is what is afforded to you by people like your father, Jimmy and myself who is currently doing a tour in Iraq.

Enjoy the freedoms people like your father provide.

I am probably going to end up in Iraq too, and if I die I don't want to be labled a hero, because im not...

If you live or die,I don't think you have to worry about anyone calling you a hero ::evil:

If I get into big trouble.. I'll run away like a coward..

Spoken like a true oxygen thief

Penne needs to be cut next year, Again he along with CM,Fabini,Law have got to go. We will suck next year anyway. TAke the big hit.

Penne's career is kaput, if we get Rivers there is nor need for a $64M backup. You cannot have this guy on your roster, do not need a lockerroom divided.

If Herm is still here for next 5 years, we are doomed anyway.

Again , you have no reason to go to Iraq so stop playing that up as if you have just got stricken with some terminal illness.

As for Pennington, the Jets owe him another shot after he cme back and played last year probably because of the Quincy situation.

2002 and 2004 we had a decent ride and something worth watching each week mainly due to Pennington.

Archived