Herm IS NOT Going Anywhere

nj meadowlands

Herm's job quite secure

Thursday, November 24, 2005

By RANDY LANGE

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Woody Johnson finally saw the opening he was looking for and powered through it.

"Herm's not leaving," Johnson said about coach Herm Edwards in a rare address to the Jets after practice Wednesday. "It's a free world, but I don't want him to leave. I've never wanted him to leave. He doesn't want to leave. We talk all the time. And I'm very happy with Herm."

Before he talked to the team, the Jets' owner on Tuesday called Edwards and delivered the same theme, and Wednesday he answered reporters' questions on the subject for the first time.

Thus Johnson, who declined to respond about Edwards' status after Sunday's 27-0 loss at Denver, made his strongest bid to quash the rumors of the past few weeks that Edwards could leave the Jets at the end of this disappointing season for Kansas City or elsewhere.

Edwards declined to comment before practice about the call from the boss a day earlier. After turning his post-practice huddle over to Johnson, he told reporters his rapport with Johnson remains the same as it was when he was hired to coach the Jets in 2001.

"I know where I stand with Mr. Johnson," Edwards said. "Our relationship's formed on one thing only and that's trust. We both understand what we're trying to do here. I'm thankful to be in partnership with a man like Mr. Johnson."

The Jets' players, mired in one of the worst seasons in franchise history and about to put their problems on display nationally Sunday night against New Orleans, seemed appreciative to hear from the boss.

"It was good that he and Herm let us know it's a dead issue about Herm leaving," wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. "I know it made me feel a lot more confident knowing Coach Edwards will be back next year."

Linebacker Jonathan Vilma said the message was: "We're going to live with Herm, die with Herm, and get back on the winning track."

Center Pete Kendall said Johnson is not an aloof owner but also hadn't talked to the entire team in Kendall's two seasons as a Jet.

"Really, the speculation has been out there about Herm's job status and Woody's reaction to it," Kendall said. "I guess they both felt it was time, once and for all, to put that one to bed."

Not all rumors were scuttled. Johnson declined to comment on a possible contract extension for Edwards despite the Jets' enduring a 2-8 start with an offense that is vying to become one of the worst in NFL history.

"We're not going to talk about an extension - he's got two years left. He wants to be here and I want him here," Johnson said. "I can't make it any clearer: I think Herm's great."

Johnson's statements Wednesday were as strong and sincere as his silence had been deafening in the weeks before. Said Kendall: "I've been through stuff like this before, the tempered vote of confidence. This was anything but."

Johnson even offered strong support for the front office led by general manager Terry Bradway and assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum, who also haven't had a great year.

"I think we've got a great team here, although it's discouraging when you're 2-8," the owner said. "I don't like the record, but we're going to win this week ... or we're going to try. I'm not going to make any guarantees."

Except for the seeming guarantee he had just issued about Edwards' prospects of remaining the Jets' coach for, as he put it, "many years to come."

Archived