****The Official Gameday Thread: New York Jets vs. Jacksonville Jaguars****

JetsFanFromQueens

EY, not going to quote you since you BG it and got long winded.

First, Mark Sanchez has to improve, without question.

Second, when a perennial winning team like the Jets (which the Jets have been in the Rex era), is 2-0 record with a blow out and a come from behind victory against a good team, yeah I base it on pedigree. Plus, a perennial losing team doesnt get a benefit of the doubt after 2-0. Plus they've beat the Chiefs.

Third, Chad won 32 games and lost 29, so he was about a 50/50 QB. So I dont know if your crit was the same because while you said it wasnt good enough to win you were right half the time. Jets win way more games now. So your points hold less water.

I'm here for the long haul. With Chad, and with Sanchez, it's not, nor was it ever, about winning against a lesser opponent. It's about being good enough to win a championship. The team as it's currently composed, does not look to be there yet. Sanchez doesn't look good enough, just as Chad wasn't good enough. Sanchez > Chad, but the question is, is it by enough to matter? The league isn't about shutting teams out on D anymore, we need to score to win. Chad couldn't do it, and Sanchez is only a step or two better.

And calling this team a 'perennial winner' is a bit of a stretch I'd think. We currently have back to back AFC Championship losses. Those are good seasons, but not exactly juggernauts.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not calling out the D. That would be absurd. Opposing the idea that this defensive performance means much as far as the season goes.

Why, because of last week? Maybe, just maybe last week was a fluke? The D did play "well" in the 2nd half last week. I don't know what else the D could have done today to make you feel that way.

Why, because of last week? Maybe, just maybe last week was a fluke? The D did play "well" in the 2nd half last week. I don't know what else the D could have done today to make you feel that way.

You see, there's NOTHING the D could have done today to make me think they're going to be great all year. That doesn't mean they're not going to be good, or they're not going to be great... but it's too soon to tell anything about them, especially after last week, which may have had a better 2nd half, but still was far from a dominating performance.

I'm here for the long haul. With Chad, and with Sanchez, it's not, nor was it ever, about winning against a lesser opponent. It's about being good enough to win a championship. The team as it's currently composed, does not look to be there yet. Sanchez doesn't look good enough, just as Chad wasn't good enough. Sanchez > Chad, but the question is, is it by enough to matter? The league isn't about shutting teams out on D anymore, we need to score to win. Chad couldn't do it, and Sanchez is only a step or two better.

And calling this team a 'perennial winner' is a bit of a stretch I'd think. We currently have back to back AFC Championship losses. Those are good seasons, but not exactly juggernauts.

Oh my! They have flaws! I have watched the Pats and the Packers and neither seems to play any D whatsoever. Never mind the Saints and Steelers. The Ravens? Hasselbeck just bitchslapped them back to reality. Are they perfect? No. Good enough to win a championship? Hell yeah.

You see, there's NOTHING the D could have done today to make me think they're going to be great all year. That doesn't mean they're not going to be good, or they're not going to be great... but it's too soon to tell anything about them, especially after last week, which may have had a better 2nd half, but still was far from a dominating performance.

You know as well as I do that the Jets are notorious for being slow out of the gate. The fact that the D has played this well this early, and has forced so many turnovers has me believing it will be a top 5 defense again.

BTW, EY and Aten are killing Sanchez for this game, but he had a 85 QB rating. The significance of that is that his floor is raising.

Before his bad games were worse. Raising the floor is importsnt, not just the ceiling.

BTW, EY and Aten are killing Sanchez for this game, but he had a 85 QB rating. The significance of that is that his floor is raising.

Before his bad games were worse. Raising the floor is importsnt, not just the ceiling.

He's upping his completion % and that's great... seriously. But, he's shown nothing as far as eliminating his mind numbing mistakes. Both of those picks today were horrendous. He still misses open WRs, he still stares down WRs. He looks to me like another guy with the physical tools but not the poise or the head for the game.

He's upping his completion % and that's great... seriously. But, he's shown nothing as far as eliminating his mind numbing mistakes. Both of those picks today were horrendous. He still misses open WRs, he still stares down WRs. He looks to me like another guy with the physical tools but not the poise or the head for the game.

He's only a 3rd year QB. I guess you've missed what Sanchez has done during the playoffs... He's been elite. One thing about Sanchez... He's a winner. It's nice to know, that when our QB has an off game (today-some-what), he still finishes the game with a QB rating of 80+.

He's only a 3rd year QB. I guess you've missed what Sanchez has done during the playoffs... He's been elite. One thing about Sanchez... He's a winner. It's nice to know, that when our QB has an off game (today-some-what), he still finishes the game Owith a QB rating of 80+.

His playoff performances weren't elite. They were good, even very good. He stepped up, we all know that. But calling him elite is just blind homerism:

What you call an 'off game', others recognize as pretty standard.

I have to admit that I for one am at a total loss as to why you think this is so profoundly significant.

So you really can't see the connection between zero front-side pass protection, and how it exacerbates the struggles of an already erratic QB? I don't expect Sanchez to be perfect, and those of us that do are unrealistic, however when he can see his pocket collapse time after time on the front-side (where he can see the pressure coming) it is going to have a negative impact on his play, as it did today. If. He feels hurried, he will lock onto receivers, make hurried throws, etc.

Just about every QB in football is a product of his offensive line... Our O-line looked awful today.

Only the casual fans who really don't understand the game will be carrying on about Sanchez after the way today went. The O-line killed our rushing attack and nearly got Sanchez killed today. What as once our strength has become a liability.

Sanchez has to clean up the mistakes he continues to make. ( Staring down the receiver, not seeing wide open guys in some spots and careless ball protection when being sacked) but to compare him to Chad is crazy. If we were down by four with three minutes to go on our 20 yard line with Chad it was game over. I don't think anyone feels that way with Sanchez.

Only the casual fans who really don't understand the game will be carrying on about Sanchez after the way today went.

That's because all the smart guys are starting fap threads over an easy win against a bad team with a career third stringer at quarterback.

I'm here for the long haul. With Chad, and with Sanchez, it's not, nor was it ever, about winning against a lesser opponent. It's about being good enough to win a championship. The team as it's currently composed, does not look to be there yet. Sanchez doesn't look good enough, just as Chad wasn't good enough. Sanchez > Chad, but the question is, is it by enough to matter?

I think so. I havent read this entire thread and wasnt really paying attention to the game, but something I havent seen anyone take into consideration is that the Sanchez of old, would have never snapped out of that funk today. He would have shriveled up and kept that game close to the wire. The guy got pulled from a game and the only defensive points were on a safety.

The Jags arent a great team, I get it...but he did his job. He's learning how to win and is doing some things a lot better than his has. I think denying that at this point is just being hard headed.

The way I see it, if all the stars align and we actually have the team to win the SB, I dont think Sanchez will hold us back. But I dont see him being a Qb that puts the team on his back and carries them through the postseason to a SB.

Back from my first time at the new stadium, all in all the stadium itself isn't bad, I was sitting in the very top row and still had great views of the game. However the stadium is pitifully quiet. I was in a section where I expected everyone to be yelling and standing but that was not the case, everyone sat and there was rarely noise. Maybe I'm spoiled by being at one of the loudest stadiums in college football the last four years for games but Metlife was extremely disappointing when it comes to crowd advantage.

Back from my first time at the new stadium, all in all the stadium itself isn't bad, I was sitting in the very top row and still had great views of the game. However the stadium is pitifully quiet. I was in a section where I expected everyone to be yelling and standing but that was not the case, everyone sat and there was rarely noise. Maybe I'm spoiled by being at one of the loudest stadiums in college football the last four years for games but Metlife was extremely disappointing when it comes to crowd advantage.

Really? The crowd sounded pretty loud to me on TV.

His playoff performances weren't elite. They were good, even very good. He stepped up, we all know that. But calling him elite is just blind homerism:

Lets not talk about "blind homerism", because you've been nothing but a negative nancy. If you can't admit that Sanchez has performed elite during the playoffs, well, then, you're just a blind fan.

Sanchez has put up a 4-2 road playoff record, where he's gone 95/157, 1,155 yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's with an average QB rating of 97.45 after 6 career playoff games.

If that's not elite during the playoffs, I'm not sure what elite really is.

And to say that he'll never become a top 10 qb, after he's improved from his rookie to sophmore season last year, and also showing signs of improvements this year is just plain ignorant.

His career completion % is 54.6. His career QB rating is 71.1. His career yards per game is 191.1 yards per game.

This year? His completion % is WELL over 60%. His QB rating is up to 87.25 and he's averaging 258 yards per game (behind an awful offensive line thus far).

Anyone who's been HARPING all over Sanchez, after two wins this season, is simply... "ugh" in terms of paying attention to QB development..

Sanchez is just inconsistent. He runs hot and cold. The kid makes throws that some of the so-called elite QB's only make in their dreams. The only thing they have over him is consistency and experience -- and that will come. Don't forget his limited playing time in college. He is basically figuring it out at the NFL level.

Really? The crowd sounded pretty loud to me on TV.

There was only two times when it really sounded loud to me and that was the two 3rd downs where the Jags had to waste a timeout. The rest of the time it was extremely quiet. Maybe being all the way at the top of the stadium had something to do with it as well, I don't know,

Lets not talk about "blind homerism", because you've been nothing but a negative nancy. If you can't admit that Sanchez has performed elite during the playoffs, well, then, you're just a blind fan.

Sanchez has put up a 4-2 road playoff record, where he's gone 95/157, 1,155 yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's with an average QB rating of 97.45 after 6 career playoff games.

If that's not elite during the playoffs, I'm not sure what elite really is.

And to say that he'll never become a top 10 qb, after he's improved from his rookie to sophmore season last year, and also showing signs of improvements this year is just plain ignorant.

His career completion % is 54.6. His career QB rating is 71.1. His career yards per game is 191.1 yards per game.

This year? His completion % is WELL over 60%. His QB rating is up to 87.25 and he's averaging 258 yards per game (behind an awful offensive line thus far).

Anyone who's been HARPING all over Sanchez, after two wins this season, is simply... "ugh" in terms of paying attention to QB development..

fap_fap_typing_cat.jpg?w=405&h=539

Archived