The Jets do not look good at all offense

HockeyFan

We win 32-3 and people still complain...come on dude

Its amazing. 2-0. Pulled our starters with 10 to go in the 4th and its like they played the worst game ever.

You know who has an awesome offense. The Patriots. You know who beat in the playoffs with the same mediocre offense? The Patriots.

You know who has a lights out offense every year, San Diego. When was the last time San Diego won a playoff game?

Its amazing. 2-0. Pulled our starters with 10 to go in the 4th and its like they played the worst game ever.

You know who has an awesome offense. The Patriots. You know who beat in the playoffs with the same mediocre offense? The Patriots.

You know who has a lights out offense every year, San Diego. When was the last time San Diego won a playoff game?

The texans have an awesome offense every year, when is the last time they even made it to the playoffs?

basically they need to throw to PLAXICO more dammit

No, the Jets need to throw upwards in the seam every single time an opposing defense leaves it there. Jacksonville did because their DB's were dropping back in zone almost exclusively and the LB's couldn't get their sh*t together in coverage. There's a reason Keller was targeted on about 25% of Sanchez's throws yesterday.

The texans have an awesome offense every year, when is the last time they even made it to the playoffs?

Yep. I think we all want to light up the scoreboard and want Sanchez to be a Football god. But the reality is, its not necessary. We have the right forumla we just havent put it all together. Sanchez has NOT been the reason why we didnt make it to the SB the last 2 seasons.

Hell, Drew Brees and the amazing Saints offense lost to the ******* Seahags last year in the playoffs. The Seahags.

Yep. I think we all want to light up the scoreboard and want Sanchez to be a Football god. But the reality is, its not necessary. We have the right forumla we just havent put it all together. Sanchez has NOT been the reason why we didnt make it to the SB the last 2 seasons.

Hell, Drew Brees and the amazing Saints offense lost to the ******* Seahags last year in the playoffs. The Seahags.

That Lynch run was the saddest piece of tackling I've ever seen.

basically they need to throw to PLAXICO more dammit

Sanchez had no protection for long routes.

To me, the lack of Plax was an admission by the coaches that the Oline was hosed. They know Hunter is a joke. But as soon as Mangold left, they went to the Run, setting up play-action short pass.

This worked for one game, but if we don't shore up that line, next week's opponent will sell-out to the run and we're screwed.

I don't think I want or need him to be a god. I just don't want him to be a ruhtard.

/door meagerly opens

Sanchez: Hey guys

Team: Sup

Sanchez: Sorry I wasn't very good today.

Greene: Shut up fag

Sanchez: HEY! That's not very nice!

/throws soda can at Greene

//wildly overthrows him

///Revis intercepts

Here to me is the biggest issue and why folks feel that way.

The last AFC QB not named Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Ben Roethlisberger to lead his team to the Super Bowl was Rich Gannon in 2002. That is 8 years and counting.

Alot of really good QB's have taken their shots at them and they have ALL come up short.

Phillip Rivers

Joe Flacco

Carson Palmer

Steve McNair

David Garrard

Mark Sanchez

etc

etc

etc

The nice thing about Sanchez is that he has helped in beating all three of them last year, each in their respective homes as a second year QB. He has probably already pulled more games out of the fire in his two years than Chad, Vinny,Favre, and probably O'Brien did combined their entire careers with the Jets.

Yes he does some things that make you scratch your head, and yes there are times where he and Schotty don't seem to be in the same universe but when the chips are down and the big money is on the table I am pretty confident that Sanchez is going to go out there and give you a really good perfomance.

Will he be Manning or Brady ? No: those are first ballot HOF'ers but if he is the first to break through the Rivers, Flacco, Ryan, Bradford group then I think and get the Jets to a Super Bowl then hopefully most of the detractors will start to back off some.

Through 2 weeks it looks like teams are fully committed to stopping the run vs. the Jets. Sanchez has a lot of success using play-action on 1st and 2nd down and still struggles on 3rd and long. If the Jets can continue to complete passes early and avoid Hunter 15-yard penalties then the offense should continue to get better.

The way I see it, we are winning DESPITE Schotty. I know you can't blame him for everything, but sometimes I feel like he just gets angry at the offense and puts them into a position to fail. Schotty's primary job is to put our players in positions to succeed, but he doesn't do it. 2 sequences I can think of were the drives when Hunter had the penalties. 1st time we were 1st and 25. The play calls? Run up the middle, screen pass. 3rd and long, Sanchez gets picked off. Schotty did not put Sanchez in a position to succeed there. Later on there was another penalty and it was 1st and 15. The playcalls? Run, run, run. Complete bailout, Schotty throwing in the towel for the offense. I have no patience for that crap. What do you think 30 of 32 other teams in the league do in that situation? YOU PASS. You should pass every down on a 1st and 25. Sanchez should not be forced into 3rd and longs every time that happens.

Don't forget that Holmes was playing beat up and wasn't his usual self.

Saying the Jets didn't look good at all is dishonest. 200 yards and 2 TDs ain't bad. We had MUCH worse offensive games last season and yes we are improving.

JackTheRipper?

Is that the same JTR that claimed to be a Russian Martial Arts expert and challenged all of JI to "take a full powershot" from him?

That sounds obscene and we're the gay ones?

That Lynch run was the saddest piece of tackling I've ever seen.

Tackling? What tackling?

Sanchez had no protection for long routes.

To me, the lack of Plax was an admission by the coaches that the Oline was hosed. They know Hunter is a joke. But as soon as Mangold left, they went to the Run, setting up play-action short pass.

This worked for one game, but if we don't shore up that line, next week's opponent will sell-out to the run and we're screwed.

I don' think anybody has time for long passes. I also don't think that Burress is supposed to be such a deep threat. Burress is supposed to help the short game.

If only Dwight Lowery showed up to t-bone him.

One thing Sanchez seems to have learned is how to whine for roughing calls. That fruity Tom Brady sh*t really works.

Through 2 weeks it looks like teams are fully committed to stopping the run vs. the Jets. Sanchez has a lot of success using play-action on 1st and 2nd down and still struggles on 3rd and long. If the Jets can continue to complete passes early and avoid Hunter 15-yard penalties then the offense should continue to get better.

I agree. The difference is that this season the Jets are able pass when teams stack the box. They weren't so good at that before.

The way I see it, we are winning DESPITE Schotty. I know you can't blame him for everything, but sometimes I feel like he just gets angry at the offense and puts them into a position to fail. Schotty's primary job is to put our players in positions to succeed, but he doesn't do it. 2 sequences I can think of were the drives when Hunter had the penalties. 1st time we were 1st and 25. The play calls? Run up the middle, screen pass. 3rd and long, Sanchez gets picked off. Schotty did not put Sanchez in a position to succeed there. Later on there was another penalty and it was 1st and 15. The playcalls? Run, run, run. Complete bailout, Schotty throwing in the towel for the offense. I have no patience for that crap. What do you think 30 of 32 other teams in the league do in that situation? YOU PASS. You should pass every down on a 1st and 25. Sanchez should not be forced into 3rd and longs every time that happens.

Don't forget that Holmes was playing beat up and wasn't his usual self.

Saying the Jets didn't look good at all is dishonest. 200 yards and 2 TDs ain't bad. We had MUCH worse offensive games last season and yes we are improving.

I don't think you are being fair at all. First of all, you blame Schottenheimer trying to get the first down for Sanchez throwing the pick, but they you cry about him "throwing in the towel for the offense". WIth a lead like that and the Jaguars with no offense at all why take any risks? These decisions are not made in a vacuum. Far as I remember the first Hunter penalty he threw a short pass to Mulligan and then had a run before Sanchez threw the pick. After Hunter's second penalty they actually converted the 3rd down albeit on a Sanchez scramble. You can't automatically pass and run on any particular down and distance or you are giving half the game away. Something for which we often blame Schotty. You can't blame him for everything, but you sure can try.

The way I see it, we are winning DESPITE Schotty. I know you can't blame him for everything, but sometimes I feel like he just gets angry at the offense and puts them into a position to fail. Schotty's primary job is to put our players in positions to succeed, but he doesn't do it. 2 sequences I can think of were the drives when Hunter had the penalties. 1st time we were 1st and 25. The play calls? Run up the middle, screen pass. 3rd and long, Sanchez gets picked off. Schotty did not put Sanchez in a position to succeed there.

...the fact that they gained no yards on 1st or 2nd down didn't put them in a position to succeed either.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying we should have gone for the chains on 1st and 25? Or...? What exactly?

Later on there was another penalty and it was 1st and 15. The playcalls? Run, run, run. Complete bailout, Schotty throwing in the towel for the offense. I have no patience for that crap. What do you think 30 of 32 other teams in the league do in that situation? YOU PASS. You should pass every down on a 1st and 25. Sanchez should not be forced into 3rd and longs every time that happens.

...if you miss the first two passes, you're 3rd and long and you're probably blaming Shotty for not calling some runs or screens to make the 3rd manageable. Right or wrong?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just still don't get it. It's easy to criticize plays after they don't work, that's all.

I don't think you are being fair at all. First of all, you blame Schottenheimer trying to get the first down for Sanchez throwing the pick, but they you cry about him "throwing in the towel for the offense". WIth a lead like that and the Jaguars with no offense at all why take any risks? These decisions are not made in a vacuum. Far as I remember the first Hunter penalty he threw a short pass to Mulligan and then had a run before Sanchez threw the pick. After Hunter's second penalty they actually converted the 3rd down albeit on a Sanchez scramble. You can't automatically pass and run on any particular down and distance or you are giving half the game away. Something for which we often blame Schotty. You can't blame him for everything, but you sure can try.

I'm not blaming him for everything. I realize it's also the oline and Sanchez, but Schotty still needs to help them succeed. We need to do better on 1st and 2nd down so Sanchez isn't always forced into those 3rd and longs. Go for the 1st EVERY DOWN, not just on 3rd and long, or at least try to make the 3rd down manageable. You completely missed my point. I'm concerned with the 1st and 2nd downs. If we're going to take pressure off Sanchez, we need to get him in 3rd and manageable situations. We seem to do nothing but screen plays and run plays on 1st and 2nd when you have 15+ yards to go. Every play is a risk, even a run or screen pass (especially for us because we suck at screen plays). You risk fumbling, so don't tell me it's ok to play it safe, and throw in the towel. That is not safe, especially when Sanchez is trying to make up for penalty yards and Nick Mangold is out of the game.

...the fact that they gained no yards on 1st or 2nd down didn't put them in a position to succeed either.

I don't understand your point. Are you saying we should have gone for the chains on 1st and 25? Or...? What exactly?

That was my exact point. 1st and 2nd downs have been bad in long situations. I'm not saying go for the 25 yard pass every time, but even a few short reliable 7-8 yard passes there, get us into a 3rd and short. Sanchez bailed out Schotty several times last game. Running the ball isn't the best option for long yard situations when our pro bowl center is out. That's football 101. I could see doing a run on 1st, but 2 out of 3 downs in those situations doesn't make sense to me and the defense seems to read us like a book the majority of the time when we do that.

I'm not blaming him for everything. I realize it's also the oline and Sanchez, but Schotty still needs to help them succeed. We need to do better on 1st and 2nd down so Sanchez isn't always forced into those 3rd and longs. Go for the 1st EVERY DOWN, not just on 3rd and long, or at least try to make the 3rd down manageable. You completely missed my point. I'm concerned with the 1st and 2nd downs. If we're going to take pressure off Sanchez, we need to get him in 3rd and manageable situations. We seem to do nothing but screen plays and run plays on 1st and 2nd when you have 15+ yards to go. Every play is a risk, even a run or screen pass (especially for us because we suck at screen plays). You risk fumbling, so don't tell me it's ok to play it safe, and throw in the towel. That is not safe, especially when Sanchez is trying to make up for penalty yards and Nick Mangold is out of the game.

That was my exact point. 1st and 2nd downs have been bad in long situations. I'm not saying go for the 25 yard pass every time, but even a few short reliable 7-8 yard passes there, get us into a 3rd and short. Sanchez bailed out Schotty several times last game. Running the ball isn't the best option for long yard situations when our pro bowl center is out. That's football 101. I could see doing a run on 1st, but 2 out of 3 downs in those situations doesn't make sense to me and the defense seems to read us like a book the majority of the time when we do that.

The offense is not doing well on first and second down. That we agree on. What we should do on 1st and 25 is another matter entirely. The team doesn't just have to hold Sanchez' hand. They also have to get the running game going. Busting off a nice run on 1st and 25 can sometimes do that. They fact that they couldn't is another matter. Every ****er on this website has blamed Schotty for a lack of screen passes. Now you see them as a risk? Maybe this blowout was the time to get them into the game. The game was over before Mangold got hurt. It was over well before the Jets scored their 2nd TD. If Football 101 says to do something the defense should be prepared for it and you should consider doing something else. Sanchez bailed Schotty out? Nice. What was he doing when he threw those picks? Throwing a shovel of dirt onto Schotty?

Yeah I see what your saying, and I agree it can be good to run on the 1st down, as Greene did and was successful. On that 1st and 25 I believe he ran for 10 yards making it a 2nd and 15. From there it was a short 2 yard screen pass, and then an interception, if I'm remembering this correctly. I know Sanchez isn't completely blameless, but if we had a 3rd and 7 or better that pick probably would not have happened. Again, I'm not blaming Schotty completely, I just feel he needs to pay more attention in long yardage situations. 3 straight running plays on 1st and 15 is not smart and most teams see it coming from a mile away. Sanchez and Schotty need to be on the same page. Sanchez needs the execution (which he did for the most part, other than the picks, 63% competed is good). It's not always execution, but it's not always Schotty either. I think they should share the blame instead of everyone putting Sanchez down. So Sanchez is improving, he's still got a little ways to go, but Schotty does not seem to be getting any better in the past 4 years. I'll admit sometimes he comes up with genius plays, but it's not the norm. Also lets not forget that the Jags best part of their defense is stopping the run. Their weakness is in the secondary and that should have been exploited on the long yard situations.

Yeah I see what your saying, and I agree it can be good to run on the 1st down, as Greene did and was successful. On that 1st and 25 I believe he ran for 10 yards making it a 2nd and 15. From there it was a short 2 yard screen pass, and then an interception, if I'm remembering this correctly. I know Sanchez isn't completely blameless, but if we had a 3rd and 7 or better that pick probably would not have happened. Again, I'm not blaming Schotty completely, I just feel he needs to pay more attention in long yardage situations. 3 straight running plays on 1st and 15 is not smart and most teams see it coming from a mile away. Sanchez and Schotty need to be on the same page. Sanchez needs the execution (which he did for the most part, other than the picks, 63% competed is good). It's not always execution, but it's not always Schotty either. I think they should share the blame instead of everyone putting Sanchez down. So Sanchez is improving, he's still got a little ways to go, but Schotty does not seem to be getting any better in the past 4 years. I'll admit sometimes he comes up with genius plays, but it's not the norm. Also lets not forget that the Jags best part of their defense is stopping the run. Their weakness is in the secondary and that should have been exploited on the long yard situations.

Schottenheimer has been our offensive coordinator for six years, including four different starting quarterbacks in the first four years and a head coaching change halfway through his tenure. The year we hired Rex and drafted Sanchez, both of the other two teams that would draft quarterbacks in the first round wanted to interview him for their respective OC positions. Two teams in our division have offered him interviews for the head coaching job, including Miami after his first season here. At what point does it become clear that maybe there's just a little bit more to this stuff than that he 'needs to pay more attention' and come up with some 'genius plays?'

Archived