Thoughts on the offensive line?

Maxman

Hard to tell from TV and without the benefit of watching the game again. BUT --

• The right side of the line seems to be the problem. There was one play when Sanchez was crushed and Wayne Hunter wasn't actually blocking anybody. Whatever the issue is, it needs to be fixed soon.
  • The rookie center didn't seem terrible...but Mangold hurry up and get well soon.
  • Could Vlad actually replace Wayne Hunter at RT if this level of play continues?

Thoughts?

simms said he noticed the raiders testing baxter early, but he held his gorund and they went back to regular fronts.

the TE's were getting abused as well.

hunter remains a problem.

I would start working vlad in with unbalanced lines, short yardage, he is a very powerful man when he doesn't have to think about who to block, and maybe start working him into hunters spot

Baxter was one of the most encouraging things for me today-maybe he can be the next Matt Slauson and take over for Hunter-also Brandon Moore is not playing the way we saw him play in the past-the injury took it's toll. What I was just saying to my wife is how badly making a lousy high draft pick can really hurt a team. We saw it with Gholston and we still don't have that pass rusher. Ducasse was supposed to be starting right now. The O-line IS the problem

Its terrible. The three guys in the middle were constantly driven back. Id call Hunter a turnstile, except those players at least see a guy coming around them and get turned around. He doesnt even notice rushers. And the tight ends are all a mess blocking. Maybe letting Hartsock go was a mistake.

Eh. They weren't good. I think Baxter looked okay. No worse than expected. I don't think Hunter was as bad as everybody else. Not good, but the play where he didn't block anybody I'm pretty sure that Keller jumped up on the DE and let the other guy run around the end. It was kind of tough for Hunter to get out there around Keller. There was another play where Hunter pushed his man wide but a delayed blitz came right up the middle and Sanchez couldn't step up. They just aren't working as a unit. I don't think it's so much WAYNE HUNTER SUCKS! as they simply aren't working well together. Moore still looks off and that isn't helping.

Eh. They weren't good. I think Baxter looked okay. No worse than expected. I don't think Hunter was as bad as everybody else. Not good, but the play where he didn't block anybody I'm pretty sure that Keller jumped up on the DE and let the other guy run around the end. It was kind of tough for Hunter to get out there around Keller. There was another play where Hunter pushed his man wide but a delayed blitz came right up the middle and Sanchez couldn't step up. They just aren't working as a unit. I don't think it's so much WAYNE HUNTER SUCKS! as they simply aren't working well together. Moore still looks off and that isn't helping.

That is why I said it is hard to say who is to blame without watching it a 2nd time. But the pressure consistently seems to come from the right side,,,

simms said he noticed the raiders testing baxter early, but he held his gorund and they went back to regular fronts.

the TE's were getting abused as well.

hunter remains a problem.

I would start working vlad in with unbalanced lines, short yardage, he is a very powerful man when he doesn't have to think about who to block, and maybe start working him into hunters spot

Baxter wasn't bad, but obviously the line is much better with the best center in football in there.

The play calling/design is still bad. I don't know how many hundreds of times Schottie has to plow Greene into the center of the OL on first down for him to realize it's not working, but we've got to be close. The runs to the outside were much more successful. They did a nice job with the roll outs early, but when the Raiders adjusted the Jets failed to readjust.

I definitely agree that they need to figure out how to work Vlad in, if only to get him some experience. With Cumblerland potentially gone for the year, maybe they can line him up at TE with some frequency.

Baxter wasn't bad, but obviously the line is much better with the best center in football in there.

The play calling/design is still bad. I don't know how many hundreds of times Schottie has to plow Greene into the center of the OL on first down for him to realize it's not working, but we've got to be close. The runs to the outside were much more successful. They did a nice job with the roll outs early, but when the Raiders adjusted the Jets failed to readjust.

I definitely agree that they need to figure out how to work Vlad in, if only to get him some experience. With Cumblerland potentially gone for the year, maybe they can line him up at TE with some frequency.

that's a good idea slats-that's what they did with Rob Turner and with him hurt they haven't been doing it anymore-using Mulligan instead-Oakland was using an extra O-Lineman yesterday a lot too.

THIS... it was extremely more successful than running up the middle. It seems we cannot open holes up the middle anymore and Greene was actually able to make something happen on runs to the outside. Maybe our olinemen are better on the move on run plays because it seems they cant push people back right now to make runs up the gut successful.

and let me also add, Baxter did fine. the OL wasn't great but they were good enough to win. Yesterday's loss was on 1) poor run defense 2) bad special teams (Cro kick KR was a huge play, without that it could have been 24-24 at the end with Mark driving for the win) and 3) terrible refs. the offense not putting up 35 points i'd put at 4 on that list of reasons.

Baxter played well. Hunter is a joke. Alli I keep remembering is him clowning on the sidelines all preseason. Dude needs a reality check, and fast. Honestly, if I were the coaching staff I'd start floating the idea that they are going to look at Vlad as a possibility to replace him as a starter for nothing else but to see if it lights a fine under him. Even hearing Hunter after the game yesterday it just doesn't seem like he takes his sucking very seriously. I think the guy needs a wake up call, and fast.

The oline is currenty the reason for the woes. Cant protect or open up run lanes. Thats bad. This team was built to win games at the LOS on both sides of the ball...and they cant. Its not good.

Everyone can blame Sanchez, Cro, Greene, whoever they want...but the bottom line is, we're losing the battle of the trenches. And when you lose that battle, you lose the war.

The oline is currenty the reason for the woes. Cant protect or open up run lanes. Thats bad. This team was built to win games at the LOS on both sides of the ball...and they cant. Its not good.

Everyone can blame Sanchez, Cro, Greene, whoever they want...but the bottom line is, we're losing the battle of the trenches. And when you lose that battle, you lose the war.

Not counting extending the contracts of Brick, Mangold and Moore, the last substantial investment they made in the O-line was signing Faneca and Woody to play alongside those 3. That was Mangini era for crying out loud... since then, we've seen them replace top-tier O-linemen with scrubs. I guess you can call Ducasse an investment since he was a 2nd rounder, but they also took him knowing he was a project.

Now, we just came out of this years draft with our first 2 picks being DL. I know you can't plan for multiple injuries on the line, however, I do think that the FO needs to restore balance to how they proactively build depth for both our lines. Not just the DL.

Knowing the new DL just got ran all over is like salt in the wounds too... knowing they chose to address that side of the ball first, and they've gotten worse... ugh.

That is why I said it is hard to say who is to blame without watching it a 2nd time. But the pressure consistently seems to come from the right side,,,

Yeah. Let me state that while my post starts with "I don't think Hunter was as bad as everybody else" I meant everybody else here. He is still one of the worst we've got. .I don't think he played so poorly yesterday. I wouldn't give him a great grade, but they could have won easily enough. They should have put more points on the board despite him.

I don't agree. They put up points. They don't run outside because those are high risk plays. They are more likely to result in a loss and that toss is way more complicated than a handoff. Like the rollout when the D has seen a few they are more likely to sniff one out and end up with a loss. Also the runs up the middle are part of the scheme. Sure they don't go for much, but why do you think those rollouts work? It's because the D is packing the box. Once they start looking outside the rollout gets eaten alive. That's another reason to try them again later..The rollout softens up the middle. I am surprised that we don't see more stretch plays. They have done that to Greene with success in the past.

Not counting extending the contracts of Brick, Mangold and Moore, the last substantial investment they made in the O-line was signing Faneca and Woody to play alongside those 3. That was Mangini era for crying out loud... since then, we've seen them replace top-tier O-linemen with scrubs. I guess you can call Ducasse an investment since he was a 2nd rounder, but they also took him knowing he was a project.

Now, we just came out of this years draft with our first 2 picks being DL. I know you can't plan for multiple injuries on the line, however, I do think that the FO needs to restore balance to how they proactively build depth for both our lines. Not just the DL.

Knowing the new DL just got ran all over is like salt in the wounds too... knowing they chose to address that side of the ball first, and they've gotten worse... ugh.

When the Jets made those investments in Woody and Faneca they were able to be done because they had two young guys on rookie contracts essentially lowering the cap cost that was associated with the o-line. Now that Mangold is the 2nd highest paid center in the NFL and Ferguson is in the top 5, you can not go out and start spending $8 and $5 million per year on other linemen. The Jets need those two (and I understand Nick is hurt, but the O-line was a problem the first 2 games as well) and Moore to help settle down Slauson and Hunter. It hasnt happened. The Jets have drafted to fill their O-line and get younger. When you draft a 2nd round lineman you expect him to be your starter for the next few years. He flopped. It happens. But they did look every year for late round talent for depth and the guys just were no good.

When the Jets made those investments in Woody and Faneca they were able to be done because they had two young guys on rookie contracts essentially lowering the cap cost that was associated with the o-line. Now that Mangold is the 2nd highest paid center in the NFL and Ferguson is in the top 5, you can not go out and start spending $8 and $5 million per year on other linemen. The Jets need those two (and I understand Nick is hurt, but the O-line was a problem the first 2 games as well) and Moore to help settle down Slauson and Hunter. It hasnt happened. The Jets have drafted to fill their O-line and get younger. When you draft a 2nd round lineman you expect him to be your starter for the next few years. He flopped. It happens. But they did look every year for late round talent for depth and the guys just were no good.

I know what you are saying - and get the salary side of it. It really comes down to them not using the draft as well as they did under... dare I say, Mangini.

Also, they are spending money on other positions, specifically on offense with the WR's... which is ironic if you have an O-line that cannot protect long enough for the expensive WRs to get involved.

I know what you are saying - and get the salary side of it. It really comes down to them not using the draft as well as they did under... dare I say, Mangini.

Also, they are spending money on other positions, specifically on offense with the WR's... which is ironic if you have an O-line that cannot protect long enough for the expensive WRs to get involved.

I think the draft is just kind of a crapshoot. They were a very by the numbers drafting team from 2006-2008 which was probably the Mangini influence since it seems the coach works very closely with Mr. T. They have been a bit more risky with the selections from 2009-2011 and thus far it hasnt worked great, but whose to say the more conservative approach would have worked with Mangini here now. He was here when the took the Ghost who is one of the worst picks in the history of the organization. The Jets really have no invested much in WRs. Almost every team has a guy paid as a 1 and the Jets got that in Holmes. Mason and Burress make nothing. The overinvestments from the Jets come at corner and ILB. Those are the two positions where you can probably say they may have been able to save some money and look elsewhere, specifically at corner.

Baxter played like an average NFL starting C. That's great for an UFA rookie. Hunter is what he is, A veteran journeyman back up. Guys not a starter, and that is going to be a major problem for the Jets this year if Vlad is a bust.

Can't believe no one is talking about Moore. He had hip surgery in the off season. Don't think he took a single snap in preseason. He just isn't the same player right now. No pop at the POA, seems to be very slow. Frequently the last player to get up. I think he is still hurt.

Right side of the Jets OL in in very bad shape. I can't think of anything thing to fix it, except 1) Mangold getting healthy, 2) Moore getting healthy. 3) Vlad developing very quickly. (Doubt it)

Honestly, the Oline was the last unit in terms of talent I was worried about on this team. Slauson had his moments of badness last year, but overall, he was solid. Hunter outplayed Woody when given the chance. I honestly, wasnt worried at all. Right now, they are the worst unit on the team by far, when it was supposed to be our best.

Honestly, the Oline was the last unit in terms of talent I was worried about on this team. Slauson had his moments of badness last year, but overall, he was solid. Hunter outplayed Woody when given the chance. I honestly, wasnt worried at all. Right now, they are the worst unit on the team by far, when it was supposed to be our best.

We all should have been worried. After Brick and Mangold, whats left? Love Moore but he's coming off hip surgery. So we basically had 2 1/2 holes on the line coming in this year. If I hear the term "ground and pound" anymore I'm gonna lose it. We can't gound and pound - we lack the talent on the Oline to do that = the biggest problem for all.

Archived