Torn Achilles for Cumberland ?

Maxman

logo.gif

As Tight End Jeff Cumberland limped off the field during the NY Jets game today, his limp put the fear in the minds of Jets fans.  Could it be a torn Achilles Tendon?  The way he was trying to walk off the field made that seem like a distinct possibility.  According to Manish Mehta at the Daily News that may indeed be what happened:

Manish MehtaMore sobering news for the Jets. I’m told that Jets are concerned thatTE Jeff Cumberland may have torn his Achilles.
#
nyj
#
Jets
Cumberland is scheduled to have an MRI tomorrow. Obviously, he would be out for the season if the MRI confirms a torn Achilles.
#
nyj

We will have more on this as the details become available, be sure to check for updates in http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/101038-torn-achilles-for-cumberland/.  If this is indeed true, it would put an end to Cumberland’s season and remove a huge pass catching option for Mark Sanchez.

di</img>di</img>

UZG2bedh-LE

View the full article

This is actually really bad. He's the only TE on the roster who can block and catch the ball when it hits him in the numbers.

that play he got hurt on the TD throw actually DID hit him between the 8 and the 6 and he dropped it. God help us because Mulligan is HORRIBLE

Josh Baker. I believe he's on the practice squad.

Makes sense to dial him up. He did look good in preseason. You'd hope a guy like Patrick Turner could step in a be a big receiver, but he doesn't seem to be so good at the receiving part of the deal.

Makes sense to dial him up. He did look good in preseason. You'd hope a guy like Patrick Turner could step in a be a big receiver, but he doesn't seem to be so good at the receiving part of the deal.

yea i was telling the wife and son how critical that drop was for him-he PROVES that he doesn't belong out there everytime he and every other borderline WR we've had here does that-Clowney was the last one

I wonder if his achilles snapped a half second before that ball hit him in the chest. either way he's done.

No I meant Patrick Turner Matt. Only in the movies can guys suffer through stuff like that (J-Cumb's injury) and come through victorious-how many times do we see guys taking bullets and still having enough to kill the bad guys and then limp off into the sunset

No I meant Patrick Turner Matt. Only in the movies can guys suffer through stuff like that (J-Cumb's injury) and come through victorious-how many times do we see guys taking bullets and still having enough to kill the bad guys and then limp off into the sunset

at least Patrick Turner run blocks, I don't know what Cumberland offers to the offense. Both are decent on specials but Cumby's probably the most overrated 2011 Jets player. Preseason some people said he was better than Keller (!). yeah right.

at least Patrick Turner run blocks, I don't know what Cumberland offers to the offense. Both are decent on specials but Cumby's probably the most overrated 2011 Jets player. Preseason some people said he was better than Keller (!). yeah right.

he did look good in PS-he was McElroy's go-to guy and he came through. Turner was pointed out by Sims for "a nice block" I didn't see it but...

Guys in THAT position absolutely HAVE to make those plays-how can he be trusted on the next throw? Logan Payne where are you?

Logan Payne? Why this guy is taking up a roster spot is baffling. He's a good ST'er, but as a WR he's a 0. He was injured in the Giants game. Up until then he had 0 receptions on 4 targets.

Cumberland on the other hand in 3 games (he didn't play in the Giants game) had 11 catches for 156 yards on 16 targets. Even though he hasn't put up big numbers in the regular season, he was a big reason the Jets 3 TE set was effective.

This is a significant loss for the Jets. It's being reported he is out for the year.

aking News:Jeff Cumberland Out for the Season

AUTHOR: Alan Schechter | IN: Jets | COMMENTS: None Yet |

Home » Jets » Breaking News:Jeff Cumberland Out for the Season

Bad news for the Jets backup TE.

Manish Mehta of the NY Daily News has reported that an MRI on Jeff Cumberland has confirmed a torn achilles tendon, which will sideline him for the rest of the season. Tough break for a guy primed for a breakout year.

Timeable for his recovery is 6 months.

September 26, 2011 12:39 PM 1 comment

Source: Tight end Jeff Cumberland out for the season with torn Achilles

BY Manish Mehta

Update: Cumberland is keeping a positive attitude and told the News: "I'll be okay... and come back stronger than before."

The Daily News has learned that tight end Jeff Cumberland is out for the season with a torn right Achilles suffered in yesterday's loss to the Raiders. Cumberland underwent an MRI this morning that revealed the tear, according to a source. The recovery timetable will be six months.

The News reported last night that the Jets had feared that the pass-catching tight end may have torn his Achilles. Cumberland had made great strides in training camp and the preseason. The Jets had incorporated him more in their two- and three-tight end sets.

Cumberland was injured on the second play of the second quarter on an incompleted pass in the end zone. He came up limping right after the play. The team announced shortly thereafter that he underwent x-rays for an ankle injury.

The second-year tight end had two catches for 35 yards in the first two games. His presence had given the Jets a dimension that they wanted to use more often as the season progressed.

A significant loss? C'mon. The guy was a decent player, but this I'd rather lose Cumberland for the season than Mangold for 3 weeks. He was primed for a breakout season of 15-20 catches. They have a few options, they can promote Josh Baker from the practice squad. They can add some additional special teamers or OLinemen or whatever is of need next week. They also might add a another true blocking TE.

I saw Turner's "nice block". It wasn't particularly nice. He ran in to hold the edge and kind of fell down/smushed somebody. Did his job, but it seemed like through no fault of his own. I was impressed with it, not because of how he blocked, but because they obviously used him in place of Cumberland on the play and he did fine.

It will be interesting to see who is active next week. They will probably want to have Trufant in because of Cromartie, but without Cumberland they will want to keep Turner and/or Baker. I thought Turner was going to get extra run because Kerley seemed dinged on the helmetless kick return, but Kerley was right back at it in the start of the 2nd half.

I was also shocked they kept Payne active. Never saw him make a catch and it seemed unlikely anybody was going to snatch up an injured special teams player.

Could be a blessing in disguise. Cumberland and Keller were the finesseiest pair of TEs in the league and that's a large part of what's killing the run game right now. I hope they go out and get a legit mauler who can reel in the occasional pass.

Might be, but it doesn't look like it. It sounds like they are bringing Josh Baker up from the practice squad. He is not a mauler. He's a little undersized H-back type, maybe 245. They could probably bring Zinger back. Zinger is a big bruiser, but I don't think he was practice squad eligible. I don't think anybody has signed him.

Archived