Jets re-sign Aaron Maybin to active roster

gsnts725

I have been excited about Westerman getting playing time...but in the few games he has been in there, I don't think he has been very impressive. He is young, the jury is still out. But this move (Maybin) sends a pretty loud message.

I have been excited about Westerman getting playing time...but in the few games he has been in there, I don't think he has been very impressive. He is young, the jury is still out. But this move (Maybin) sends a pretty loud message.

...and that message is loud and clear. We miss Vernon Gholston.

Your right Max, Westerman to me is just very average. Maybin, I dont like either but at this point why not? The bottom line is, well, the line. If the oline does not get going our team is in for a 8-8 9-7 type year at best.

On the one hand, good. It shows they're willing to accept imperfect players who don't fit the system to a T in order to address the greater good.

On the other hand, it smacks of desperation.

It smacks of Rex realizing his mistake in relying on Westerman as DPR and considering Maybin a luxury. He would have been a luxury if Westerman hadn't failed in his assigned role

Good, we have a horrible o-line, the defense can't stop the run... And we add a designated pass rusher, who busted out of Buffalo.... Awesome, let me dream up some conjecture about why we should be psyched and get back to you....

Oline has to be fixed from within and the rush defense issue was technique problem--poor angles and tackling. There was no one on the roster with Maybin's speed at LB. This is about the Westerman mistake.

Good, we have a horrible o-line, the defense can't stop the run... And we add a designated pass rusher, who busted out of Buffalo.... Awesome, let me dream up some conjecture about why we should be psyched and get back to you....

I mean, its just a practice squad move, and he's definitely got the most talent of anyone we could bring up. Think a PS guy could solve any of those problems you listed in one fell swoop? No. But the D gave up 34 points to Oakland, and pass rush was AN issue. Even if Maybin can be any kind of a difference maker (at least moreso than Westerman) for 1 or 2 snaps, its worth a try.

Oline has to be fixed from within and the rush defense issue was technique problem--poor angles and tackling. There was no one on the roster with Maybin's speed at LB. This is about the Westerman mistake.

I agree with SMC here. Rex and the Jets seem to like Colin and Caleb on the line. Max Starks has been making trips working out for teams and if they DIDN'T think they had what they need there, he'd be in Florham Park this morning. I'm telling you the most encouraging thing that came out of Sunday's game for me was Colin Baxter. Yea, Westermann hasn't done a THING now the only question is does Maybin actually get a shot to make some plays or will he be just a Westhoff guy

I mean, its just a practice squad move, and he's definitely got the most talent of anyone we could bring up. Think a PS guy could solve any of those problems you listed in one fell swoop? No. But the D gave up 34 points to Oakland, and pass rush was AN issue. Even if Maybin can be any kind of a difference maker (at least moreso than Westerman) for 1 or 2 snaps, its worth a try.

It said they signed him to the active roster. Doesnt that mean he's suiting up?

Maybin is on the active roster. He's not eligible for PS.

Maybin is on the active roster. He's not eligible for PS.

nope-he could just end up inactive

Hmmm, I was thinking the same thing as SMC. If they werent looking to play him wouldnt it just say that Maybin was signed to the practice squad and not the active roster.

Me thinks that means they plan to play him.

On the one hand, good. It shows they're willing to accept imperfect players who don't fit the system to a T in order to address the greater good.

On the other hand, it smacks of desperation.

Nah. Trading for Aaron Curry reeks of desperation. This is just a cheap shot in the dark to find someone that can get into a backfield because the current guys in that role are not cutting it.Its really a move they should have made as soon as Turner got injured. Carrying him for a few weeks on the active roster is a total waste.

Desperate times call for ... Maybin

September, 28, 2011

Sep 28

8:56

AM ET

Email

Print

Comments

By Rich Cimini

With their defense coming off perhaps its worst game of the Rex Ryan era, the Jets re-signed one of the NFL's worst draft picks in recent memory -- former Bills No. 1 pick Aaron Maybin. ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported it.

The Jets originally picked up the pass rusher in the preseason after he was dumped by the Bills, but he was cut by the Jets the day after the final cutdown. He actually looked decent against second- and third-stringers, but not good enough for Rex Ryan.

Two thoughts come to mind on this move:

• Ryan recognizes the need to add speed in the front seven, especially on the edge. That's one thing Maybin has -- speed. Presumably, he'll be used as a pass rusher. Against the Raiders, the Jets didn't get close to QB Jason Campbell.

• This is a message to OLB Jamaal Westerman, the top backup and a situational rusher. Westerman missed a tackle 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage on Denarius Moore's 23-yard TD run on a reverse.

Hmmm, I was thinking the same thing as SMC. If they werent looking to play him wouldnt it just say that Maybin was signed to the practice squad and not the active roster.

Me thinks that means they plan to play him.

Terminology clarification.

"Signed to active roster" means Maybin was signed to the 53 man roster.

"Active" on gameday means 1 of the 46 players suited up to play in a game.

"Signed to practice squad" means signed to the 8-man practice squad which can only participate in practice. They are not on the active roster and, of course, can't be active on game day.

Maybin is on the 53 man roster. Whether he is "active" on gameday is another issue. Maybin is ineligible to be on the practice squad because he played in too many games as a pro.

Nah. Trading for Aaron Curry reeks of desperation. This is just a cheap shot in the dark to find someone that can get into a backfield because the current guys in that role are not cutting it.Its really a move they should have made as soon as Turner got injured. Carrying him for a few weeks on the active roster is a total waste.

Are we on that radar? This guy was supposed to be the "safe pick" from that draft. One of the highest draft Lb'ers ever and one of the highest paid rookie LB'ers ever.

Is he not working out? Dont really follow whats going on up in Seattle.

Any Interest in Aaron Curry?

by Bassett on September 28th, 2011 at 7:45 am

This summer the Jets tried a reclamation project in Aaron Maybin. Maybin didn’t show Rex what he was looking for on the field, and it didn’t work out so the Jets dropped Maybin at cutdowns. It was a signal that the Jets are looking to get better at rushing the passer this year, but even when the Jets brought in Maybin any projected production was more Hail Mary than sure thing. Now, with news that the fourth pick of the 2009 could be available, do you think the Jets are making a play at recently demoted and contract restructured Seahawks OLB Aaron Curry?

It sounds like he’s on the block … get to turning over them rocks, Tanny!

What do you think about Curry? He was a consensus high-pick by many in 2009, but many felt he was a ‘safe’ pick at four. In over two years, he’s only racked up 5.5 sacks for the Seahawks, and has been a disappointment to Pete Carroll’s regime. Could the Jets, who’ve worked on a trade with the Seahawks last year (Leon Washington) reach out to them again?

Here’s what Scouts write about the 6-2 255 OLB Aaron Curry.

Curry is a very intelligent linebacker who can be quick to recognize blocking schemes and locate the level of the ball to take good angles to get involved. He is explosive and shows good acceleration off the edge, but will show a little stiffness in his hips when dropping into coverage. He needs to be a little more physical when taking on and shedding blockers and will try to run around blocks rather than fight through pressure to squeeze the play down. He shows adequate awareness in zone coverage and can recognize routes, but is a bit inconsistent when it comes to breaking on the ball from off coverage. He needs to work on developing a bigger package of counter moves as a pass-rusher as he tends to rely on his raw speed too often.

Is he as bad as Carroll is making him out to be? Would you trade for him to help the Jets pass rush? If so, what’s proper value for him?

I think this shouldn't be a surprise. Maybin had survived the final cuts and then was let go when they added some new pieces - Schlauderaff and Baxter.

It's a funny pickup because Maybin brings to the table what cost the Jet so badly against the Raiders without in any way, shape or form solving the problems. He has the edge speed that was so lacking against McFadden and Moore, but he would probably have been much worse against those runs and generally is way upfield and wide. He is going to rush the passer. I don't see it as any huge indictment of Westerman. The missed tackle on the reverse is expected. He's supposed to force him back and wide. Rex's boys Scott and Leonhard - particularly Scott are the ones that ****ed that play up. It has been obvious for quite some time that Westerman is capable but he's no Derrick Thomas rushing the passer. Rex kept throwing that DPR tag out there, but he's never excelled in that role with the Jets. Not even in the preseason. I thought McIntyre looked better as a pass rusher. I liked what I saw from Maybin, but he looks like he'd be a risk at anything under 3rd and 5 or late in the game/late in the half.

Rex's boys Scott and Leonhard - particularly Scott are the ones that ****ed that play up.

+1 Scott and Leonard missed alot of key tackles last week and generally played like hot garbage. I welcome the addition of Maybin and wish him the best of luck, but the whole defense has to tackle better.

Archived