Al Davis dead at 82

GreenBeans

http://espn.go.com/n...2-cause-unknown

la_g_davis1x_200.jpg

Davis

Raiders owner Al Davis, whose legend began 60 years ago as an assistant coach with the Chargers and included a 1992 Hall of Fame induction in Canton, has died at 82.

The team's website released the news Saturday morning, posting a simple tribute with his name in large silver letters above "July 4, 1929-October 8, 2011."

The Raiders said the team will issue a statement later Saturday. No cause of death was released.

RIP to one of the pioneers of the AFL.

We sit here as fans of the greatest league with teams to support because he (and a few others) really attacked Rozelle and the NFL over 50 years ago.

I imagine there are about twenty ESPN interns out back burning all the video of ESPN analysts basically calling Davis a senile retard over the last decade, if only to make those analysts' weepy soliloquies seem at least a bit genuine today.

Such a visionary.

I imagine there are about twenty ESPN interns out back burning all the video of ESPN analysts basically calling Davis a senile retard over the last decade, if only to make those analysts' weepy soliloquies seem at least a bit genuine today.

He seemed to be building a good team there as of late.

He lacked a QB to get it done IMO.

For those of you who are too young to remember -he was a pioner who was a driving force resulting in the merger of the AFL and NFL, was the one of if not the first to actively recruit from black colleges, one of first to bring black and hispanics into the coaching ranks and front office. An iconic figure as well as a maverick- Rest in peace Al.

I hated him with every ounce of my being the same way he hated the Jets but you had to respect that bat sh*t crazy SOB. He'll be missed, he definetly marched to the beat of his own drum and the NFL wouldn't be what it is today if he didn't. RIP Crazy Al

It also seems he might have been right about taking that chicken legged, injury prone, human insemination machine with a fast 40 time DMC. I don't know how anyone disagreed with that one

R.I.P. Al. I've always hated your Raiders, but I respect what you did for football.

What he did for FOOTBALL?

1. Brought Steroids to the NFL
  2. Caused the Deaths of John Matuszak and Lyle Alzado due to complications from Steroids

But he changed the game!! :fighting0093:

What he did for FOOTBALL?

1. Brought Steroids to the NFL
  2. Caused the Deaths of John Matuszak and Lyle Alzado due to complications from Steroids

But he changed the game!! :fighting0093:

Ummmm ... really? Al Davis brought steroids to the NFL? Al Davis CAUSED the deaths of John Matuszak and Lyle Alzado due to the complications from Steroids???? Are you some kind of screaming liberal that "feels" that all societal ills should be cast upon someone of money since the person earning less is blatantly a pawn doing the "Rich Man's" bidding? Perhaps then every football player that's ever taken HGH, or whatever, should have the "right" to blame Al Davis for making poor choices? STFU!!!!!!

Archived