Ten-Point Stance: Revis getting star treatment from refs

hawksown14

Ten-Point Stance: Revis getting star treatment from refs

Over the past few years there's been an almost weekly ritual before Jets games. In the minutes before the contest begins an opposing assistant or head coach will approach game officials with a request: watch that Darrelle Revis. He holds every play.

Now, that isn't true. Revis doesn't hold every play. Not even close. He doesn't need to. He's that good. But about the only thing that can stop Revis these days are faux warnings to the refs before the contest itself begins.

One coach admitted to me Revis doesn't pass interfere any more or less than other defensive backs but feels crying wolf to officials before the game might get Revis flagged and hamper his aggression. "It didn't work," he said. "Revis still killed us."

Coaches have tried this, I'm told, repeatedly going back to last year. How it works is simple. An assistant coach will approach one or more refs before the game and say watch out for Revis holding our guys out of breaks. Refs will nod their heads and say sure. Then ignore the request once the game begins.

The strategy isn't working since penalties aren't being called in excessive numbers on Revis and Revis continues on an arc to be one of the best corners the sport has ever seen.

This is how good Revis has become. The only way some teams see as a viable option to really stop him -- besides not throwing in his direction -- is to try and sway game officials to call penalties on him.

In some ways the opposite is happening. Revis is beginning to get Michael Jordan type treatment from game officials. His 100-yard interception return against Miami was sparked after he basically Ju-Jitsu'd Brandon Marshall to get to the football. Refs are barely calling penalties on him even when he does interfere.

Revis' play over the past two years has been historic. In many ways, Revis is doing for the cornerback position what Aaron Rodgers is doing for the quarterback position. Both men have people in football searching for new adjectives and historical comparisons to describe them.

His interception return against the Dolphins turned the game on its head, and that's an ability only a handful of corners throughout history possess.

The five best corners ever are Deion Sanders, Darrell Green, Dick Lane, Rod Woodson and Mel Blount. There are many in the greatness mix, including Lester Hayes, Herb Adderly, Champ Bailey and others (sorry, Ronde Barber isn't). Revis is becoming so good he's already working himself into the group of elites just outside the top five.

If you took Sanders and combined him with Blount, you'd get Revis. His physicality, combined with great speed, make him extremely difficult to beat.

And, it turns out, not even coaches whining to refs can stop him.

You know what? This is absolutely true, and I don't give a sh*t. The Jets have had their fair share of getting f'd the other way around. What's fair is fair.

+1

Revis is the only Jet of my lifetime good enough to get benefit-of-the-doubt treatment from officials, so Gruden can eat sh*t and die. Just enjoy the ride.

Like I stated two nights ago, Revis has became the MJ23 of the CB position. He's changed the culture of the game, during a time where passing attacks have transformed into an all-time high. WR's are better than ever. What Revis is doing, has never been done before. Watching Revis perform, is truly watching greatness take place. He runs opposing WR routes, better than the WR's themself. It's scary good.

Like I stated two nights ago, Revis has became the MJ23 of the CB position. He's changed the culture of the game, during a time where passing attacks have transformed into an all-time high. WR's are better than ever. What Revis is doing, has never been done before. Watching Revis perform, is truly watching greatness take place. He runs opposing WR routes, better than the WR's themself. It's scary good.

Changed the culture of the game?! I think Revis is awesome but the hell are you talking about?

revis holds a lot, and micheal irvin is in the HOF because he was the MASTER of pushing off. for the record, marshall pushed off on one of his first receptions with both hands....

the great players not only get calls, but they know what they can get away with, where the line is

Interesting use of commas.

That INT by Revis COULD have been flagged for a PI, but it wasn't because it was Revis."Stars" do get preferential treatment. Be glad that you have a "star" on your team. I'm glad the Pats have Brady. ;)

We can all only hope that one day a rule is created for Revis because that big of a star.

:cool0019: Gruden was gettin under my skin w that crap he was spoutin!! Marshall clearly initiated contact, then lost his balance, stumbling and bumbling into Revis. Revis , then did a Dennis Rodman, and pulled the chair back on Marshall., the ball came right to him! The refs knew it. Further....Marhsall thought he was going to out-muscle Revis ( they ALL try to ) but he found out quickly thart THE "R", dont play that either!! Now shut up, and crawlback in ur little fish-bowl, and take Gruden , and his POM POMS with u!!!! GO JETS!!!

With the empahsis on Offense over Defense in the NFL now-a-days, I doubt it. Be happy he gets away with what he gets away with.

I am and you're probably right. However, I do wonder if his stardom gets so big that one day, if he ever gets beat deep (highly doubt it) if he will just fall over and bang on the turf and scream at the refs to get them to throw a flag...and actually get it. That would be really cool.

I am and you're probably right. However, I do wonder if his stardom gets so big that one day, if he ever gets beat deep (highly doubt it) if he will just fall over and bang on the turf and scream at the refs to get them to throw a flag...and actually get it. That would be really cool.

I think a new plan should be every time some whiny bitch WR starts complaining about Cromartie interfearing with him and the ref starts immediately reaching for his flag despite not having seen a thing, Revis should just run and claim another WR picked him on the same play and watch the ref put it back into his pocket.

Even cooler would be the day when Jest fans see that soooo many players do just that, not just the one that they envy the most. What a day that will be!

Even cooler would be the day when Jest fans see that soooo many players do just that, not just the one that they envy the most. What a day that will be!

I never see Aaron Rodgers do that and he's the best player in all of sports at his particular position.

I never see Aaron Rodgers do that and he's the best player in all of sports at his particular position.

I've never seen him do it either, doesn't mean he doesn't. I don't exactly catch every GB game from start to finish. Do you? And no, NFL Redzone does not count. LOL!

Watch as many games as possible this Sunday and tell me how many "whines for flags" you see. I guarantee you will see plenty.

Peyton Manning says "hi" by the way.

My tweet immediately after the interception last week was something to the effect of;

'2 offsetting opinions on that call. 1. That wasn't PI on Revis. 2. Any other CB in the game gets flagged for that play, cromartie gets flagged twice.

You Guys r RIGHT ON !!! Im so glad that it wasnt " Homerism" on my part. I was going to complain here, that Cromartie gets dumped on by the refs, but didnt want to come off as a WHINNER. This is what I see. a) WR goes out for a pass..(usually smthng dwnfield) . B) WR bangs into CB and/or pushes off c) WR feigns attmptng to catch ball d) WR flails arms and whines c) Crowd cheers/boos loudly, reacting to WR antics d ) Ref throws flag !!! This is ( to me), taught and practiced by All recievers. Its obvious cheating, we are insulted to think otherwise. CB's dont stand a chance with this BS. It may seem like a long process, but wat I see is that it takes a second or two, and out comes the flag. They "invented this rule for D-Lineman who induce false-start penalties. I lthink they should call OFFENSIVE pass interference when WR's continue this obvious cheating!! Thoughts Anyone? GO JETS!!!! :box:

Changed the culture of the game?! I think Revis is awesome but the hell are you talking about?

I stand by what I've stated in regards to Revis. He's revolutionized the CB position.

Revis led the league with a 35.4 percent in 2009 and 2010, and he ranks second this season with a 32.3 mark, according to STATS LLC. The Pittsburgh Steelers' Ike Taylor (20.0) is the leader.

Impressive stuff, but Ryan believes those numbers don't tell the entire story because Revis is often assigned to the opposing team's best receiver with "zero" coverage on his side of the field -- meaning no help from a safety.

That, Ryan said, is a revolutionary approach, one they began in 2009.

"The first year we got here, we did something that's never been done in the history of the NFL -- that's what this guy has done," Ryan said. "It used to be, if you had an elite corner like Deion Sanders or Willie Brown, you'd put them on the second receiver and say, 'OK, we're going to lock him up and roll coverage to the good receiver.

"We put him on the best guy with no help, and it's never been done in the history of the game."

Revis often knows where the receiver is going because he spends an inordinate amount of time breaking down tape, studying everything from body language to feet and hand placement. That part of his game -- his cerebral approach -- often is overlooked.

"He's playing a game of chess with you, and you're playing a game of chess with him," Holt said. "The problem is, he's playing chess better than anybody in the league."

Before Revis, I've never heard of a corner studying body language, all the way to feet and hand placement during the offseason. Never. He's treating these WR's like a game of poker. Reading them. It's mind boggling. I've never seen anything like this in regards to the CB position. Neither have you.

I stand by what I've stated in regards to Revis. He's revolutionized the CB position.

How? Unless you actually elaborate this is a laughable statement. He hasn't done anything insane to change the sport, he's just extremely good, that doesn't make him revolutionary.

How? Unless you actually elaborate this is a laughable statement. He hasn't done anything insane to change the sport, he's just extremely good, that doesn't make him revolutionary.

don't be stubborn. I'm sure you saw this

Impressive stuff, but Ryan believes those numbers don't tell the entire story because Revis is often assigned to the opposing team's best receiver with "zero" coverage on his side of the field -- meaning no help from a safety.

That, Ryan said, is a revolutionary approach, one they began in 2009.

"The first year we got here, we did something that's never been done in the history of the NFL -- that's what this guy has done," Ryan said. "It used to be, if you had an elite corner like Deion Sanders or Willie Brown, you'd put them on the second receiver and say, 'OK, we're going to lock him up and roll coverage to the good receiver.

"We put him on the best guy with no help, and it's never been done in the history of the game."

never been done = revolutionary

Archived