Darrelle Revis

hawksown14

Island in the Sun

The Chargers may think they beat themselves, but they couldn’t beat Darrelle Revis (+3.9). Revis was targeted six times and gave up just one catch for 15 yards, while he also broke up two passes and had a clutch fourth quarter interception that he returned 62 yards to set up the go-ahead score. Revis isn’t just good in coverage, though. On one play, he made an excellent open field tackle on the edge to prevent what could have been a big gain. If he carries on like this, Revis is going to put together a season to rival his other-wordly 2009 campaign.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...s-jets-week-7/

The QBR against Revis this year is a paltry 2.2. The next closest is in the fifties.

Fun fact #2- Revis has more returned yards than allowed yards.

184-127.

ProFootbalFocus ProFootballFocus.com

QB rating when targeting Revis' coverage went DOWN this week. QBs now have a 2.2 rating when throwing at him through 7 wks.

that last part is what put Revis over the top for me. Better than Deion for all-time CB. He supports in the run.

Especially compared to Cro and Wilson, he looks like a LB compared to those 2.

Cro wants nothing to do with tackling anybody, and Wilson just has zero instincts to even know a run is even happening. I've seen at least 5x this year where Wilson is still covering his receiver while a back is running right past him with the ball.

I've seen at least 5x this year where Wilson is still covering his receiver while a back is running right past him with the ball.

Ok, Wilson can be fresh with running games, but he isn't stupid to not learn about those plays! When he learn, he will be great DB for our D#, just to put him to learn how to read a running game!

that last part is what put Revis over the top for me. Better than Deion for all-time CB. He supports in the run.

Cro wants nothing to do with tackling anybody, and Wilson just has zero instincts to even know a run is even happening. I've seen at least 5x this year where Wilson is still covering his receiver while a back is running right past him with the ball.

Disagree on Wilson. He's a great tackler and has been helping in the run game this season. Kid is a very physical corner.

Disagree on Wilson. He's a great tackler and has been helping in the run game this season. Kid is a very physical corner.

Training with Revis definitely put some weight/muscle on this guy. He's noticeably bigger this year. Starting to remind me a little of Dunta Robinson back in the day...

Deion was so much better than any other corner in coverage it's not even close...including Revis. Example there was an out route early 1st quarter I think it was on Jackson, Revis was right there in perfect position and got his arm out and batted it down. No offense, but Deion picked those balls off for 6. I love Revis and think he'll be in the HOF but I honestly don't think anyone can even touch Deion. Last year Playoff game in Pittsburg, that long bomb Revis dropped, Deion catches that ball with ease. Not trying to knock Revis I just think Deion was the greatest cover corner in the world of all time. So even though Revis is that much better against the run and tackling I still don't think it trumps how much better Deion was than him, and everyone else who's ever played the position, in coverage.

Deion was so much better than any other corner in coverage it's not even close...including Revis. Example there was an out route early 1st quarter I think it was on Jackson, Revis was right there in perfect position and got his arm out and batted it down. No offense, but Deion picked those balls off for 6. I love Revis and think he'll be in the HOF but I honestly don't think anyone can even touch Deion. Last year Playoff game in Pittsburg, that long bomb Revis dropped, Deion catches that ball with ease. Not trying to knock Revis I just think Deion was the greatest cover corner in the world of all time. So even though Revis is that much better against the run and tackling I still don't think it trumps how much better Deion was than him, and everyone else who's ever played the position, in coverage.

I appreciate that but I think they are very different and hard to compare. Revis is more like the Ty Law type corner that beats the crap out of the receivers ruining his timing and then bullying him for the ball. NO... he does not have anything close to Deion's ball skills, maybe only Ed Reed is even close.

I think Aso is a better comparison to Deion because they both rely on crazy athletiscism to play the position.

I appreciate that but I think they are very different and hard to compare. Revis is more like the Ty Law type corner that beats the crap out of the receivers ruining his timing and then bullying him for the ball. NO... he does not have anything close to Deion's ball skills, maybe only Ed Reed is even close.

I think Aso is a better comparison to Deion because they both rely on crazy athletiscism to play the position.

Aso's physical too. It doesn't matter how you want to do it. Pick one corner for a season in his prime for your team and it's Deion every time and it's not even close.

Don't know what games you have been watching, but Wilson has been great against the run.

His tackling is fine, when he's in position to make the play. But rewatch games, zero instincts. Hopefuly it will come with experience.

Hmph. Dont really know what your talking about...but I'll pay attention next time.

From what I've seen and recall, Wilson has been impressive in every facet this season. Right now, he's far and away the most improved player on this team. Not even close really.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...s-jets-week-7/

The QBR against Revis this year is a paltry 2.2. The next closest is in the fifties.

184-127.

ProFootbalFocus ProFootballFocus.com

QB rating when targeting Revis' coverage went DOWN this week. QBs now have a 2.2 rating when throwing at him through 7 wks.

INteresting.. wonder what it was in 2009.. He seemed more dominate that year then this one, although he's obv having a great year..

Deion was so much better than any other corner in coverage it's not even close...including Revis. Example there was an out route early 1st quarter I think it was on Jackson, Revis was right there in perfect position and got his arm out and batted it down. No offense, but Deion picked those balls off for 6.

Deion had 9 pick 6's in 14 years. You make it sound like he had one every game.

He was easily good enough to stand on his own merits without being exaggerated.

Randomly found this in a Cowboys article about their linebacker Sean Lee

"Actually until I was a sophomore in high school, I wanted to play basketball in college," Lee said. "I just wasn't quick enough. The guy I played against in basketball when I knew I couldn't play Division I was Darrelle Revis. We'd play at Duquesne with our AAU teams, and he'd wreck me. That was a Division I basketball player. I wasn't at that level."

184-127.

Thats insane. I said it in 09 and im saying it again, Revis will retire the hands-down greatest CB to ever play the game. This guy is off the charts. I've never seen a stat where the CB has more return yards than allowed yards. Its half way through the season.

I guess this means that Woodson will be DPOTY again.

Its his second year in the league. Not to take away your point, but again what CB do you know looks good when comparing him to Revis? This is why I dont get on Cro too much either. The comparison isnt fair. Revis is not from this planet.

Revis will best his 2009 either this year or in the next 2-3 years. He's now in his prime, and really I don't even buy that he's human anymore. I'm still getting over the batted pass against Vincent Jackson on Sunday...****in peeeeeeeeeeeerfect coverage.

You're right. Check this out, besides Revis coming up short with a hammy against Moss last year, when healthy I couldnt tell you "THE YEAR" in which Revis blew a coverage. Its been that long. This guy is incredible. I said it in 09 and I'll say it again. I've seen Deion Sanders play but I have NEVER seen a CB like Darrelle Revis. This dude is a video game with all the attributes jacked up lol.

EDIT: The last time Revis blew a coverage was against Ted Ginn in 09. And im being nice with that because technically he was supposed to have safety help.

No he's not. You can argue that Sanders is better when taking in an entire 14 year career to what Revis has done in just 5-6 years. Thats a testament to Revis if you ask me by even having this discussion. Sanders had style, the flashiness and carisma which just added to the fact that he was a hands down shutdown CB. I will not deny that because im a Jets fan. Sanders was a shutdown CB with WR hands. This is true.

Revis, though a different type of CB (and a tad slower) not only shuts down every WR he faces bar none, but he also is one of the best run defending CB's in the league which Sanders was not. Revis is one of the best tackling CB's in the league which Sanders was not. Revis block shedding is better than Sanders. In otherwords, "outside of just defending and shutting down wideouts" Revis football awareness of whats happening on the field supersedes Sanders hands down.

Revis can do more with his talent than Sanders did with is. To Sanders praise, he was a turnover machine which in the game of football is of the upmost importance when on defense....but Revis is no slouch either....and to add to that, with revis, you'll get 1 maybe 2 TD's a year on his side. Something Sanders cant say.

No he's not. You can argue that Sanders is better when taking in an entire 14 year career to what Revis has done in just 5-6 years. Thats a testament to Revis if you ask me by even having this discussion. Sanders had style, the flashiness and carisma which just added to the fact that he was a hands down shutdown CB. I will not deny that because im a Jets fan. Sanders was a shutdown CB with WR hands. This is true.

Revis, though a different type of CB (and a tad slower) not only shuts down every WR he faces bar none, but he also is one of the best run defending CB's in the league which Sanders was not. Revis is one of the best tackling CB's in the league which Sanders was not. Revis block shedding is better than Sanders. In otherwords, "outside of just defending and shutting down wideouts" Revis football awareness of whats happening on the field supersedes Sanders hands down.

I would consider an argument for Revis to be in the top 5 already. He's that good. But nobody touches Deion. jmo.

I would consider an argument for Revis to be in the top 5 already. He's that good. But nobody touches Deion. jmo.

When you're in the top 5 then you can make an argument for every one of them. Revis is in the top 2 if thats the case, because I can easily see your reasoning for no one touching Deion, dude was a freak of nature on the field. But Thats the same for Revis.

But like I said, much of Sanders aura is based on his carisma, flashiness, how he interacted with media on camera etc. He was liked by everyone even if you were a fan of the rival team. He was a man that you loved to watch even if he was single handedly beating your team to a pulp. IMO that plays a HUGE part in this discussion. Revis is from the same planet that Sanders and Jordan are from, and on that planet there's a little island called "Revis" and if we were to ever find this planet you'll find all of the stranded WR's . I heard real estate is through the roof because WR's keep ending up on this island. Thats all im saying. lol.

Its his second year in the league. Not to take away your point, but again what CB do you know looks good when comparing him to Revis? This is why I dont get on Cro too much either. The comparison isnt fair. Revis is not from this planet.

I agree, I think had Aso signed here we would of been crucifying him by now.

I agree, I think had Aso signed here we would of been crucifying him by now.

Exactly. Look at Aso's performance in Philly. Not only would we be crucifying him but we'd be talking about how he's not the Aso of Oakland and how we should have kept Cro (Jet fans..... lol).

Revis is just that damn good. You cant compare another CB to Revis. its not going to look good.

Deion Sanders, much like Bo Jackson, has become grossly overrated. He was a puss. If he wasn't such a great return man we wouldn't be rating him so highly. There are several CBs that I would have taken over him. Even if I am undervaluing him, I don't see how he is all of a sudden the gold standard of CBs. Haynes, Minnifield, Lem Barney, Blount. That's not even going back to the old old-timers.

Deion Sanders, much like Bo Jackson, has become grossly overrated. He was a puss. If he wasn't such a great return man we wouldn't be rating him so highly. There are several CBs that I would have taken over him. Even if I am undervaluing him, I don't see how he is all of a sudden the gold standard of CBs. Haynes, Minnifield, Lem Barney, Blount. That's not even going back to the old old-timers.

exactly Dom. Now I wouldnt say he was a puss, but I totally agree that he's definitely overrated in respects to people thinking that "he cant be touched" by other CB's.

Revis is in I believe his 6th year and we've been having this very convo for the past 3 seasons. Seems like Sanders is being asked to remove his behind from his seat.

deion was the best self promoter the sporting world has seen, but whan a man willingly admits he makes "business decisions" when deciding not to tackle a player, he cannot ever be considered the best CB in any reasonable discussion

period

hard to compare lunch pail type versus flashy type.sanders made you pay if you went in his direction too often.qb's already know not to test revis.period.i would like to see a side by side comparison of sanders stats vers revis stats for their first 5 seasons plus.i think that would prove something.who would you draft, a 20 yo sanders or a 20 yo revis? i think i would go lunch pail.

People need to remember the era that Revis is playing in and the era that Sanders played in. Back when Sanders dominated, people were actually allowed to play defense. Revis plays in an era where it's a penalty to even look at a receiver. Sure you can argue Revis gets away with being a little more physical than some other corners, but the fact that Revis is doing this in the era of no contact football puts him over the top for me.

If he keeps this up, with these rules in place to work against him, then he goes down as the greatest ever hands down.

Randomly found this in a Cowboys article about their linebacker Sean Lee

"Actually until I was a sophomore in high school, I wanted to play basketball in college," Lee said. "I just wasn't quick enough. The guy I played against in basketball when I knew I couldn't play Division I was Darrelle Revis. We'd play at Duquesne with our AAU teams, and he'd wreck me. That was a Division I basketball player. I wasn't at that level."

That's pretty awesome. Thanks.

Archived