50 Greatest Jets as per ESPN

shawn306

If you are talking most importat momenents in jet history you are right.

If you are talking best player in jets history it's revis by far. Was Namath ever the best player at his position in the nfl? Revis has been a majority of his career

I don't think best and greatest are the same thing. To me greatest means most important. And that is Namath, hands down. Without Namath, there probably are no more Super Bowls, there definitely is no merger and professional football looks very different. No other player in any other franchise (or in any other sport, for that matter) can claim this.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a bar somewhere telling anyone who will listen about the time he intercepted Gary Hogeboom.

Find out where. I want to go buy him a beer!

If you are talking most importat momenents in jet history you are right.

If you are talking best player in jets history it's revis by far. Was Namath ever the best player at his position in the nfl? Revis has been a majority of his career

Yes.

I always hear Maynard wasn't a top 3 NFL WR his entire career and that Namath is apparently the most over rated player due to one game

Martin on the other hand was always the most known Jet and our biggest weapon for a good 5-6 years during the Parcells/Groh/Dumbass era

I don't know who says Maynard was not a top 3 NFL WR, but they are wrong. He was always rated behind Lance Alworth as the best WR in the AFL, and back in the sixties, the only WR in the old NFL that was as good as those two was Paul Warfield. Otis Taylor was in the conversation too, he had tremendous talent, but the Chiefs were a run first team.

You have to be kidding me. No John Elliot??? No, not Jumbo, the real John Elliot. #80 - defensive tackle of the Super Bowl team. His development as a penetrating, disruptive DT in his second season (he was a LB in college) along with the acquisition of veteran all AFL guard Bob Talamini before the season started are the two biggest reasons a good 1967 Jets team became SB Champs in 1968. He only played 4 seasons before he tore up his knee and was never the same, but during the those seasons (especially 1968 - 1970), he was as good as any DT in a league that had other DTs by the names of Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alex Karras and Buck Buchanon. Just ask Buddy Ryan, the Jets d-line coach at the time. He was so good, the Raiders always double teamed him with HOFers Gene Upshaw and Jim Otto and they still could not slow him down. You want to penalize him because he only played 4 full seasons? Not even on the list of 50 top Jets when he should be in the top 5??? Do you think a Bears list would not include Gale Sayers because he only had 4 1/2 seasons in his prime? And Sayers was not part of a SB winning team.

Give me a break. Why can't these idiots do a little extra research when they put together lists like this and actually talk to people who were around?

I don't think best and greatest are the same thing. To me greatest means most important. And that is Namath, hands down. Without Namath, there probably are no more Super Bowls, there definitely is no merger and professional football looks very different. No other player in any other franchise (or in any other sport, for that matter) can claim this.

lets not go overboard on what Super Bowl 3 was. It took Super Bowl 4 and KC winning before it was considered not a fluke.

Archived