Senator Specter defending Terell Owens rights

faba

Specter of antitrust: Senator says T.O. mistreatedAssociated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Sen. Arlen Specter is accusing the National Football League and the Philadelphia Eagles of treating Terrell Owens unfairly.

Owens

The Pennsylvania Republican says he might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which he is the chairman.

Specter said at a news conference Monday in Harrisburg it was "vindictive and inappropriate" for the league and the Eagles to forbid the all-pro wide receiver from playing and to prevent other teams from talking to him. He said, "It's a restraint of trade for them to do that" and "it might be a violation of antitrust laws."

Some other legal experts disagree.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch said last week the team's actions were supported by the labor agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

The Eagles suspended Owens on Nov. 5 for four games without pay for "conduct detrimental to the team." They deactivated him with pay on Sunday after the suspension ended.

Classic case of where politicians should not get involved in

Lets get New Orleans fixed and helped instead of Owens

Strictly from a legal perspective I think a case could be made that this violates anti trust laws. Only problem is that like with other licenses/professions if you violate a policy or the law you risk losing your license and no longer being able to practice that profession.

This is exactly the kind of political bs that grinds my gears.

Specter is putting his nose in a sports issue, meanwhile, in NY, a kid died because he did not have medical coverage and the hospital delayed performing life saving surgery.

Why doesn't Specter stick his nose into that?

Hundreds, maybe thousands of people go thrrough this same sh*t every day, yet our politicians do nothing. Not one damn thing. They hold sessions with Jose Canseco, and the heads of the other major sports, yet they do nothing to help the people that need their help the most.

**** TO. He signed a deal, kills his teammates, faked injuries, and now some rat pol comes to his defense. What about coming to the defense of this kid, and others like him, that die inexcusably?

Complete bullsh*t.

This is exactly the kind of political bs that grinds my gears.

Specter is putting his nose in a sports issue, meanwhile, in NY, a kid died because he did not have medical coverage and the hospital delayed performing life saving surgery.

Why doesn't Specter stick his nose into that?

Hundreds, maybe thousands of people go thrrough this same Sh#t every day, yet our politicians do nothing. Not one damn thing. They hold sessions with Jose Canseco, and the heads of the other major sports, yet they do nothing to help the people that need their help the most.

F#ck TO. He signed a deal, kills his teammates, faked injuries, and now some rat pol comes to his defense. What about coming to the defense of this kid, and others like him, that die inexcusably?

Complete bullsh*t.

yeah, what he said!!!! :mrgreen:

I agree with MJ - As a card carrying Republican myself, Specter has the right to STFU and go back to actual political concerns affecting real people, not some overpaid, big mouthed, spoiled ass professional athelete who rolled the dice and crapped out. F Owens. I'm so sick of hearing about him. I commend for the Eagles for having the balls to step up to the plate and call his bullsh*t. boo hoo, he can't talk to anyone right now, I guess sitting at home and making millions is a rough gig. If I work for a Fortune 500 company and am expected to leave, you think Company 'X' is going to let me talk to Company "Y" on X's paid time?? Don't freaking think so.

yeah, what he said!!!! :mrgreen:

I agree with MJ - As a card carrying Republican myself, Specter has the right to STFU and go back to actual political concerns affecting real people, not some overpaid, big mouthed, spoiled a$$ professional athelete who rolled the dice and crapped out. F Owens. I'm so sick of hearing about him. I commend for the Eagles for having the balls to step up to the plate and call his bullsh*t. boo hoo, he can't talk to anyone right now, I guess sitting at home and making millions is a rough gig. If I work for a Fortune 500 company and am expected to leave, you think Company 'X' is going to let me talk to Company "Y" on X's paid time?? Don't freaking think so.

It is a violation of anti-trust, they are not allowing him to work, if a company fired you, you would be allowed to look elsewhere. It is irrelevant whether the iggles want to pay him or not, he would forfeit this "paid vacation". The iggles and arbitrater had no right to extend this sentence. I am really surprised the NFL union is not going nots on this one. By all rights Dre Bly committed a bigger crime than TO, where is his ban for the season?

It is a violation of anti-trust, they are not allowing him to work, if a company fired you, you would be allowed to look elsewhere. It is irrelevant whether the iggles want to pay him or not, he would forfeit this "paid vacation". The iggles and arbitrater had no right to extend this sentence. I am really surprised the NFL union is not going nots on this one. By all rights Dre Bly committed a bigger crime than TO, where is his ban for the season?

again;

who is your top drafted fantasy receiver????? :lol:

By all rights Dre Bly committed a bigger crime than TO, where is his ban for the season?

Bly ripped a fellow player as did TO. However, Bly did not rip his organization by calling them classless and hypocritical. I think that by ripping your EMPLOYER in public as opposed to a co-worker would give the person that signs your checks the right to say "get the hell out of here". Thats what the Eagles did and I applaud them for it.

Bly ripped a fellow player as did TO. However, Bly did not rip his organization by calling them classless and hypocritical. I think that by ripping your EMPLOYER in public as opposed to a co-worker would give the person that signs your checks the right to say "get the hell out of here". Thats what the Eagles did and I applaud them for it.

That is BS and you know it, TO apologized to Org, he did not to "SoupNazi" and that is why he is banished.

Bly ripped to shreds Joey while TO just agreed with what "Cokey" stated about Favre

That is BS and you know it, TO apologized to Org, he did not to "SoupNazi" and that is why he is banished.

Bly ripped to shreds Joey while TO just agreed with what "Cokey" stated about Favre

It's called the real world. Rip your employer publicly and you get fired. And please, lets not sit here and pretend TO had been a stand up guy prior to that incident. The Eagles let the guy get away with a ton of sh*t before putting their foot down. Good job Philly.

Dre Bly on the other hand, should just bite his tongue and play football

The problem with that argument is that he violated the rules set forth by the league. This is no different than if he was a CPA and made a mistake. He also would be punished by his license being taken away. Therefor not able to work in the same capacity. It is not an anti trust mattter really. Now if no team will sign him next year and they can prove colusion - then they would have an anti trust case.

Bly is wrong to come out publicly and put all the blame on Harrington-

That does not change all the things ansd comments Owens has done to put himself in this situation. I give props to Philly to take a stand and hold to it

The problem with that argument is that he violated the rules set forth by the league. This is no different than if he was a CPA and made a mistake. He also would be punished by his license being taken away. Therefor not able to work in the same capacity. It is not an anti trust mattter really. Now if no team will sign him next year and they can prove colusion - then they would have an anti trust case.

sherry you are wrong, if i'm a CPA and i call my boss a turd, i am fired.. i am then free to go to another CPA firm and call that boss a turd as well :)

sherry you are wrong, if i'm a CPA and i call my boss a turd, i am fired.. i am then free to go to another CPA firm and call that boss a turd as well :)

Are the Eagles still paying TO? If so, he's an employee...just happens to be an employee that doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut so he's been given an extended vacation.

Are the Eagles still paying TO? If so, he's an employee...just happens to be an employee that doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut so he's been given an extended vacation.

Sorry we live in the greatest country in the world, if they do not want to have him come into work, then

they should fire him, this paid vacation statement is a bunch of crap. Fire his ass and let him try and seek employment elsewhere. BTW it is not a paid vacation when you subtract $1.7m in forfeited signing bonus from $1m salary for next 5 weeks

So spare me your dribble and get your facts right.

Sorry we live in the greatest country in the world, if they do not want to have him come into work, then

they should fire him, this paid vacation statement is a bunch of crap. Fire his a$$ and let him try and seek employment elsewhere. BTW it is not a paid vacation when you subtract $1.7m in forfeited signing bonus from $1m salary for next 5 weeks

and where does TO owning fantasy owner assmop want him to be re-employed 8)

they should fire him, this paid vacation statement is a bunch of crap. Fire his a$$ and let him try and seek employment elsewhere. BTW it is not a paid vacation when you subtract $1.7m in forfeited signing bonus from $1m salary for next 5 weeks

Greatest country in the world with an astounding number of people who do not believe in holding adults accountable for their actions. It makes me sick to see so many people paint TO as the victim here. He signed the friggin contract despite being told not to by the players association. As a grown man that was his decision. Then after being told he could refuse to play to get a new contract a year later, he decided as a grown man to pout, cry, and turn his teams training camp in to a circus. They sent him a letter telling him to stop acting like a little kid or there would be be a price to pay. As a grown man he decided to do what he wanted to and essentially told his emplyer to go to hell. Got in to fights in the locker room, publicly criticized his team leader, told his coach not to talk to him a certain way becuse he was what? Thats right...a grown man, bashed his employer publicly and then "apologized" to the team but yet for some odd reason did it again a couple of days later (because he didn't get it right the first time)

THANK GOD the Eagles have a backbone and are willing to hold somebody accountable for their actions instead of making weak ass excuses.

What next? TO was just acting out becuase his mommy and daddy didn't love him so he deserves YET ANOTHER free pass?

Greatest country in the world with an astounding number of people who do not believe in holding adults accountable for their actions. It makes me sich to see so many people paint TO as the victim here. He signed the friggin contract despite being told not to by the players association. As a grown man that was his decision. Then after being told he could refuse to play to get a new contract a year later, he decided as a grown man to pout, cry, and turn his teams training camp in to a circus. They sent him a letter telling him to stop acting like a little kid or there would be be a price to pay. As a grown man he decided to do what he wanted to and essentially told his emplyer to go to hell. Got in to fights in the locker room, publicly criticized his team leader, bashed his employer publicly and then "apologized" to the team but yet for some odd reason did it again a couple of days later (because he didn't get it right the first time)

THANK GOD the Eagles have a backbone and are willing to hold somebody accountable for their actions instead of making weak a$$ excuses.

What next? TO was just acting out becuase his mommy and daddy didn't love him so he deserves YET ANOTHER free pass?

relax, he has TO as his #1 WR in fantasy and is PISSED.

Greatest country in the world with an astounding number of people who do not believe in holding adults accountable for their actions. It makes me sick to see so many people paint TO as the victim here. He signed the friggin contract despite being told not to by the players association. As a grown man that was his decision. Then after being told he could refuse to play to get a new contract a year later, he decided as a grown man to pout, cry, and turn his teams training camp in to a circus. They sent him a letter telling him to stop acting like a little kid or there would be be a price to pay. As a grown man he decided to do what he wanted to and essentially told his emplyer to go to hell. Got in to fights in the locker room, publicly criticized his team leader, told his coach not to talk to him a certain way becuse he was what? Thats right...a grown man, bashed his employer publicly and then "apologized" to the team but yet for some odd reason did it again a couple of days later (because he didn't get it right the first time)

THANK GOD the Eagles have a backbone and are willing to hold somebody accountable for their actions instead of making weak a$$ excuses.

Lighten up Francis, He paid $1m for his crime(actually $3.7M) Fire him and move on. I'm not saying he should not have been suspended. They are going overboard and should not be allowed to pull this crap.

Lighten up Francis, He paid $1m for his crime(actually $3.7M) Fire him and move on. I'm not saying he should not have been suspended. They are going overboard and should not be allowed to pull this crap.

Actually I don't think they're doing enough. In a perfect world, Lauria would consider the fact that he's got a trillion dollars in his pocket, is consistently well below the salary cap, and just keep TO under contract and never play the clown. If I had the money he has, it would be worth every penny to essentially end TOs career (see how much his agent "loves" him then). The next five years riding the pine.

Actually I don't think they're doing enough. In a perfect world, Lauria would consider the fact that he's got a trillion dollars in his pocket, is consistently well below the salary cap, and just keep TO under contract and never play the clown. If I had the money he has, it would be worth every penny to essentially end TOs career (see how much his agent "loves" him then). The next five years riding the pine.

that would be great. the eagles could hire him out for kid's birthday parties as a clown.

Why don't you send TO to Siberia and hang him there by his balls!

Let's see Diarreah of the mouth vs Murder or Vehicular manslaughter or Drug Dealer or Ramming into a car that your wife and baby is in or raping a young woman or beating your wife..

Yeah i think we should hang TO, the others are fine

gentlemen that should play in the league and be adored!!!!!!

BTW Lurie is one of the cheapest owners in the league, his team is always under the cap.

Let's see Diarreah of the mouth vs Murder or Vehicular manslaughter or Drug Dealer or Ramming into a car that your wife and baby is in or raping a young woman or beating your wife..

BTW Lurie is one of the cheapest owners in the league, his team is always under the cap.

that would make him one of the smartest then as they have been to finals and super bowl.

I said nothing about inflicting any harm upon TO, just suggested letting him pout from the bench from now on. And just as I am a fan of holding TO accountable for his actions, I feel the same way about criminals. If you do the crime, do the time.

I'm also well aware of how cheap Eagles ownership is, thats why I said "in a perfect world" which we don't live in because if we did, people like TO wouldnt exist. Nor would the killers, rapists, drunk drivers, etc...

So for the record, my suggestion is bench him for the remainder of the contract. I don't recall saying anything different since the beginning of this discussion, so why don't you ummm...settle down francis.

coyuld be, but point is that he has had great results with a low outlay of cash..

If Lurie had spent $ , his team may have made it to SB b4 TO and who knows maybe they win 1? His team has always had crappy WR's!!!!!!!

so as a fan i would say he did a crappy job, it is all about winning championships not playing for 2nd.

You should know that SJ, just because our team sucks pondscum....

If Lurie had spent $ , his team may have made it to SB b4 TO and who knows maybe they win 1? His team has always had crappy WR's!!!!!!!

quote]

Actually, that has nothing to do with being cheap..it has to do with drafting poorly at the WR position (which is biazrre because they draft so well otherwise). The Eagles have used a couple of high picks on WRs that havent panned out. Todd Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell come to mind.

Jets SB victories 1

Iggles Zerooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

nuff said

So let me get this straight. Because Joe Namath led the Jets to a SB victory before many of us were even born, you would rather have the current Jets FO in place over the Eagles current FO. Is that what you're telling me? Please tell me it isn't, despite the fact that it would cause me to laugh uncontrollably, tell me thats not what you're saying.

Personally I think it has more to do with being financially responsible and not over-paying for players (Justin McCariens) Granted the Eagles FO is cheap, but that does not change the fact that TO is a POS and as an organization (wins/losses, cap management, doing whats best for the team) the current jets FO does not hold a candle to Philly. Thems the facts.

Archived