Detroit Lions CB Bly bashing Harrington

faba

Report: Bly points finger for firing at HarringtonESPN.com news services

At least two Detroit Lions players remained in Steve Mariucci's corner Monday.

Cornerback Dre' Bly and quarterback Jeff Garcia both thought the blame for the team's poor record shouldn't have rested on the now ex-coach.

"If we'd had production on offense, in particular the quarterback position, Mooch wouldn't have been fired," Bly told the Detroit Free Press. "If Jeff Garcia hadn't gotten hurt, we wouldn't be in this position today. Mooch wouldn't have gotten fired."

Garcia missed the first five games after breaking his leg in the final preseason game. He started twice -- winning in Cleveland and losing to Chicago -- but then missed the Minnesota, Arizona and Dallas games with soreness in the leg.

"We're all at fault, but I just feel like Joey [Harrington]'s been here four years, and being the No. 3 pick in the draft, he hasn't given us anything," Bly told the paper. "He hasn't given us what the third pick in the draft should give us."

Garcia, who played for Mariucci in San Francisco, pointed to the Lions front office.

"You start to question whether the organization has the people in place who can go about making the proper selections," Garcia told WXYT-AM, according to the paper. "You really have to question that."

General manager Matt Millen hired both Mariucci and his predecessor, Marty Mornhinweg, and drafted or signed most of the current players. Since Millen took over in 2001, Detroit is an NFL-worst 20-55.

He fired Mariucci after two-plus seasons and a 15-28 record.

The Lions promoted defensive coordinator Dick Jauron to succeed him on an interim basis.

Let me tell you all something. With the exception of my 3 year stint living in Germany, I've been in Detroit since 1990 now and I can comfortably say that just when you think things are bad with the Jets, just when you think the Jets organization is beyond hope, step back, count to ten and take pride and comfort in the fact you're not a Lions fan. This is EASILY one of the worst owned, managed, planned, and executed franchises in football. You want to talk about a franchise heading blindly down the road to nowhere, this is it.

- The owner William Clay Ford Sr. is clueless. I mean absolutely clueless. From personnel, to coaching, to the general manager position, Ford has struck out on them all for decades.

- The second in command, WCF Jr is too busy keeping Ford Motor Company afloat to worry about football.

- Matt Millen is an incompetent boob. he has NO buisness being a GM. His personnel moves have been garbage.

- This is a team mired in misery. Their playoff record features one win since they last won an NFL title in 1957. ONE WIN IN 48 years!!!!

- This franchise is mired in dispair and misery so deep, that any coach or player who comes to down is destined to fail. Detroit is a GRAVEYARD for coaches.

- If any team needs an oil change it's this one. When you live in an NFL city for 15 (12) years, it's only natrural to follow its team even if it's not your favorite. Watching the Lions for years, it's just sickening.

- And something we all know. Harrington is absolute garbage. Detroit needs a new QB in the draft. The talent he has around him is sick and Joey can't do a thing with it.

- And something we all know. Harrington is absolute garbage. Detroit needs a new QB in the draft. The talent he has around him is sick and Joey can't do a thing with it.

Kinda hard to do anything when your WR's are dropping everything and you o-line can't pick up the blitz. That thanksgiving day game was not his fault - as a matter of fact I couldn't figure out why they pulled him.

Kinda hard to do anything when your WR's are dropping everything and you o-line can't pick up the blitz. That thanksgiving day game was not his fault - as a matter of fact I couldn't figure out why they pulled him.

yes, thursday's games were on the WRs.. but let me tell ya, there's plenty of film on why Harrington sucks.

yes, thursday's games were on the WRs.. but let me tell ya, there's plenty of film on why Harrington sucks.

Oh, I bet there is and I bet Bly is not exadurating when he said Harrington was always ******* off in practice. But to blame it on one guy? Idk about that. So many players including bly have not lived up to thier billing. I hope Jauron straightens this team out - there is an awful lot of talent there.

Oh, I bet there is and I bet Bly is not exadurating when he said Harrington was always farging off in practice. But to blame it on one guy? Idk about that. So many players including bly have not lived up to thier billing. I hope Jauron straightens this team out - there is an awful lot of talent there.

Sorry rsherry I misread your statement. I completely agree, Thursday wasn't Harrington's fault and to blame Mooch's dismissal on one guy (Harrington) was BS.

Why isn't Mike Williams playing? I thought he was a can't-miss coming out of USC...

Roy Williams is the only guy who has shown a little something this year. Rogers is looking like a bust, even though I think he excels with another team, and Mike Williams just hasn't been getting involved out there. It's nothing against MW, I just haven't seen him out there that much and when the Lions do pass, it's been disaterous anyways.

Roy Williams is the only guy who has shown a little something this year. Rogers is looking like a bust, even though I think he excels with another team, and Mike Williams just hasn't been getting involved out there. It's nothing against MW, I just haven't seen him out there that much and when the Lions do pass, it's been disaterous anyways.

How is this any different to what TO did? Dre bly

ought to be suspended for rest of season!!

[-X

If the Lions were smart they would kill this cancer.

While there is alot of film showing Joey sucks, there's some showing that he's good. He was improving under Mornhenweg (or however it's spelled). Then he totally regressed under Mooch, who made it no secret that he didn't like Joey. When the coach doesn't like you, it's going to rub off, eventually, on the other players.

As for Thanksgiving? I've seen that game, at least, 12 times over the past two years. No one says how Joey played well the two games prior. And how he wasn't garbage in the Thanksgiving game either. The INT wasn't his fault, or Roy's fault. It just happened. If Roy didn't stumble, he would have caught it.

About Bly firing off about Harrington: it speaks to the divided locker room that's been rumored about. Defense vs Offense. How so? Roy Williams took up for Joey on Detroit radio. The locker room is split, which is a coaching problem. That and Bly's pissed because the next Lions coach isn't going to be someone who's soft on the players, like Mooch was. So, of course he's pissed. Not that he doesn't bust his ass (he obviously does, considering he's playing with a broken wrist), but Mooch took it easy on the team. The next coach will, most likely, be a hard ass.

In the end, no, Bly shouldn't be suspended by the team. Not only was he taking up for his boy (the fired coach), it's not the first time anyone has bashed Joey. Hell, Mooch did it all the time! No one suspended him. That and Bly isn't starting fist fights in the locker room, either.

Archived