Newsday: Callahan For Schotty Could Jump-Start Jets

SoFlaJets

Callahan for Schotty could jump-start Jets

Updated: Dec 25, 2011 09:58 PM

By BOB GLAUBER

With his team facing a worthy NFC foe on Christmas Eve and a playoff spot hanging in the balance, the quarterback produced a miserable performance in a blowout loss, leading to increasing questions about whether he truly is the long-term answer for the franchise.

He had been acquired in a blockbuster first-round trade three years earlier, but the wretched showing in the next-to-last game of the season created even more uncertainty about his future. There was a growing consensus from the fans -- and even many in the pro football personnel community -- that the quarterback might amount to nothing more than the latest NFL bust.

Mark Sanchez ?

No, Eli Manning .

Go back exactly five years to the day, and you'll see that Manning was coming off an atrocious showing in a 30-7 loss to the Saints in New Orleans. He was 9-for-25 for 74 yards, one touchdown and an interception. The Giants fell to 7-8, Tom Coughlin 's job was on the line, and only a win over the Redskins in the final week of the season would put them in the playoffs and get Coughlin into the 2007 season as head coach.

The Giants got that win, but not before Coughlin made a bold move that ultimately benefited his franchise quarterback.

With major questions swirling about how the Giants were handling the play-calling for Manning, Coughlin replaced offensive coordinator John Hufnagel with quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride , who previously had called plays for Coughlin in Jacksonville.

A year later, Coughlin, Manning and the Giants won the Super Bowl .

Now it's time for Rex Ryan to make a similarly bold move and replace Brian Schottenheimer with offensive line coach Bill Callahan .

With Sanchez struggling to take the next step in his development and with Schottenheimer's inconsistent play-calling adding to the problem, Ryan needs to take decisive action and turn to Callahan, a former offensive play-caller who led the 2002 Raiders to Super Bowl XXXVII with journeyman quarterback Rich Gannon .

Ryan might not consider the timing right to make that change for this week's game against the Dolphins because of his fierce loyalty to Schottenheimer, who might wind up as a candidate for Miami's head-coaching position. But the Jets' third-year head coach needs to find a better answer for dealing with Sanchez, who is coming off one of the most ineffective performances in his three years with the Jets.

Sanchez threw two interceptions, was sacked for a safety, fumbled once and had two other fumbles reversed by replay review in a 29-14 loss to the Giants on Saturday. The Jets' chances of making the playoffs now are perilously thin.

But it's not just the fact that the Jets lost; it's the way they lost as it related to Schottenheimer's play-calling and a continuing pattern of failing to get the most out of his young quarterback.

Like Hufnagel with Manning five years ago, Schottenheimer isn't putting Sanchez in the best position to succeed. The fact that he had Sanchez drop back a whopping 64 times -- 64! -- against a Giants team that features the best pass-rushing defensive line in the game was stunning. Especially when the Jets' running game was performing so well, especially on inside runs that attacked the Giants' defensive tackles.

Sanchez wound up being sacked five times, was hit hard on several other occasions after releasing the ball and couldn't sustain the Jets' offense late in the game.

He may be the NFL 's most prolific comeback quarterback of the last two seasons with 10 wins in the final quarter or overtime, but not getting his 11th against the Giants -- or leading the Jets to a victory of any kind -- was a huge miss.

Questions now are swirling about whether Sanchez really is the future of the franchise or whether the team will consider other alternatives. Some have suggested trading for Peyton Manning if he's available, but the Jets have been down this road before with Brett Favre . Not only that, but there's no guarantee that Manning, who has had three neck surgeries in the last two seasons, can continue much longer.

You want to draft another quarterback and spend another three years waiting for him to develop? With very few viable alternatives on the free-agent or trade markets, there isn't much out there.

The feeling here is that Ryan needs to go with Callahan and install the simpler, higher-percentage passing game of his West Coast offense before scrapping the Sanchez era altogether.

It may be that Sanchez isn't the answer. But it also may be that he's not in a system that allows him to flourish the way Gannon, a fourth-round pick in 1987, once did for Callahan.

It's easier -- and better -- to change a coach to see if he can fix the quarterback. Whether it's this week or next, when the Jets might be out of the playoff picture, it's time for Ryan to make his move.

After another Christmas Eve nightmare showing, it's time to see if he can do for Sanchez what Coughlin did for Manning.

inconsistent play calling, what does that even mean lol

I certainly agree we threw too much against the giants, but attack the weak secondary seemed to be the plan... it's almost like they don't realize the qb stinks

I certainly agree we threw too much against the giants, but attack the weak secondary seemed to be the plan... it's almost like they don't realize the qb stinks

What baffles me Chan is there we saw Rex Ryan on Post Game Live saying that "we're not built to play that kind of offensive game" but WHERE THE FVCK WAS HE during the game then? Why didn't he go over to Schottenheimer hiding behind his plastic covered (and probably tear-soaked) play calling sheet and TELL his SUBORDINATE, the guy who is BELOW him and that he has hired and DEMAND that he call a Jets ground and pound ballgame?

Rex Ryan has lost control of this team-both players AND coaches. Bart Scott is yelling and cursing at Sanchez for "going away from what was working" when he should have been yelling at either Rex Ryan or the offensive coordinator. I swear, I'm not even WATCHING us lose to the Dolphins this week...

What baffles me Chan is there we saw Rex Ryan on Post Game Live saying that "we're not built to play that kind of offensive game" but WHERE THE FVCK WAS HE during the game then? Why didn't he go over to Schottenheimer hiding behind his plastic covered (and probably tear-soaked) play calling sheet and TELL his SUBORDINATE, the guy who is BELOW him and that he has hired and DEMAND that he call a Jets ground and pound ballgame?

Rex Ryan has lost control of this team-both players AND coaches. Bart Scott is yelling and cursing at Sanchez for "going away from what was working" when he should have been yelling at either Rex Ryan or the offensive coordinator. I swear, I'm not even WATCHING us lose to the Dolphins this week...

I dunno, i really think sanchez is given a lot of rope in order to create the perception that he's a great player...our defense was shutting them down, and I'm sure they all thought that he'd break through with a TD or two at some point.. ANd I have to be honest, after eli threw that pick, and we scored, I thought the kid was going to pull it out again too

I dunno, i really think sanchez is given a lot of rope in order to create the perception that he's a great player...our defense was shutting them down, and I'm sure they all thought that he'd break through with a TD or two at some point.. ANd I have to be honest, after eli threw that pick, and we scored, I thought the kid was going to pull it out again too

I had NO hope that we would win that game-I really didn't not before, or at any time during. I knew we'd lose and I was just waiting for inevitable to happen-a Wayne Hunter sack, a Matthew Mulligan drive-killing penalty, an Eric Smith/Brodney Pool getting burned due to lack of speed at the position TD and the always reliable Mark Sanchez pick 6 or fumble that always seems to happen at the worst time. The only one of those things that DIDN'T happen was Matthew Mulligan getting penalized after a big play-every other thing DID happen-I would have listed a special teams turnover had it been a couple of weeks ago but Westhoff-our seemingly ONLY competent coordinator got that cleaned up

I had NO hope that we would win that game-I really didn't not before, or at any time during. I knew we'd lose and I was just waiting for inevitable to happen-a Wayne Hunter sack, a Matthew Mulligan drive-killing penalty, an Eric Smith/Brodney Pool getting burned due to lack of speed at the position TD and the always reliable Mark Sanchez pick 6 or fumble that always seems to happen at the worst time. The only one of those things that DIDN'T happen was Matthew Mulligan getting penalized after a big play-every other thing DID happen-I would have listed a special teams turnover had it been a couple of weeks ago but Westhoff-our seemingly ONLY competent coordinator got that cleaned up

the only reason i thought we were winning is cause the giants are also a bad team that were desperately trying to hand the game to us

the only reason i thought we were winning is cause the giants are also a bad team that were desperately trying to hand the game to us

Not with an offense that still looks like it's trying to sort itself out in August-we've NEVER gotten any better or shown any cohesiveness

I am torn because I am not sure Callahan is the answer. But I do generally like the thought of promoting from within. Keeping the terminology the same could be helpful. The offensive line has more continuity under Callahan and you replace the broken parts ... Hunter, possibly Moore.

But even though that helps with the transition, the way this offense has been I would be open to a complete change. Top to bottom on offense. I am not ready to give up on Sanchez. Any way you slice it, there is just no way that Schotty can call the plays next year.

It will be interesting to see if Tom Moore is still involved. Is he the offensive consultant that is in charge of everything? And he decides who gets what role?

It is going to be an interesting offseason.

When you fumble on the 1 yard line and the other team hands the ball right back to you, it is hard to tell who is trying to hand the game over more.

Not with an offense that still looks like it's trying to sort itself out in August-we've NEVER gotten any better or shown any cohesiveness

Can someone help me understand how we still have so many inconsistencies and lack of cohesiveness this late in the season? It's not like we changed any of the players around? Keller still seems to forget to look for the ball half the time and I feel like we hit our receivers less as the season has gone on.

I am torn because I am not sure Callahan is the answer. But I do generally like the thought of promoting from within. Keeping the terminology the same could be helpful. The offensive line has more continuity under Callahan and you replace the broken parts ... Hunter, possibly Moore.

But even though that helps with the transition, the way this offense has been I would be open to a complete change. Top to bottom on offense. I am not ready to give up on Sanchez. Any way you slice it, there is just no way that Schotty can call the plays next year.

It will be interesting to see if Tom Moore is still involved. Is he the offensive consultant that is in charge of everything? And he decides who gets what role?

It is going to be an interesting offseason.

callahan had a great reputation until the SB. if he had played anyone but gruden, he probably wins. that's my concern, tho, how dumb was it to not change the calls knowing he was going against gruden ?

moore's health will decide everything, I think he may be done with this mess

I agree

When the Jets pulled up to 20-14 I honestly thought they were going to win 21-20 for Sanchez's 11th 4th quarter come from behinder.

As much as I generally dislike Glauber, I do think this article is right on. Schotty is the perfect fall guy. Fans hate him, offense has been horrible.

Don't think the Jets are dumb enough to go the Peyton route. At least I hope not. If they bring Callahan in as OC they won't have to change all the offensive language. That's a major issue for a young QB. Particularly one who doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb on the tree.

Callahan can keep the same basic play structure, and just move the O to a West Coast type attack, which might suit Sanchez's skill set better. Then again maybe not. It just seems like the smart thing to do.

Pray that Sanchez has a great game against Miami, and the Jets make the playoffs. I think that Ross in Miami is just dumb enough to hire Schotty as HC if his offense trumps the Fish next week.

As loyal as Rex has been to Schotty, his statements after the Giants game lead me to believe that even if the Jets make the playoffs Schotty is gone.

Just my opinion

callahan had a great reputation until the SB. if he had played anyone but gruden, he probably wins. that's my concern, tho, how dumb was it to not change the calls knowing he was going against gruden ?

I would be a little bit surprised if he is back (Moore). You are in your 70's, the Jets are going to be looking for more than just consulting remotely. I can see him saying thanks but no thanks.

Can someone help me understand how we still have so many inconsistencies and lack of cohesiveness this late in the season? It's not like we changed any of the players around? Keller still seems to forget to look for the ball half the time and I feel like we hit our receivers less as the season has gone on.

I think the most frustrating thing ALL YEAR for me has been the total lack of a playcall on a 3rd and long play-how many 3rd and 10+ yard 1st down did we convert this year-I'd really like to know the answer to that-maybe Football Outsiders has it. We would call draw after draw after screen after screen and NEVER throw the ball past the sticks and just cede the ball over to the opponent and say "here defense, YOU stop them again and we'll try on the next possession" That offensive philosophy is exactly the kind that pits a team's offense against it's defense

In the NFL Callahan has been the OC of the Raiders from '98 - '01. Head coach of the Raiders in '02 and '03. His only other non-Jets pro experience has been with the Eagles from '95 - '97.

Is that enough of a body of work to hand the keys over to?

I do not get the collective fixation with Moore. He hasn't exactly shown any semblance of a Midas touch. The offense still stinks. Punk-a$$ Keller bears no resemblance to Dallas Clark and Sanchez's putrid play is in a class by itself. WTF has Moore done? Drool on himself during film sessions? Piss his Depends on in the booth and smile?

And by the way, how is Callahan the answer? The OL looks like crap and that is not limited to Hunter who, if he were a horse, would be taken out back and shot. So, replace one incompetent with another?

Lastly, the last time I checked Rex's business card read Head Coach. Where was he during this debacle? Content to act the fool while the offense imploded on every level? He continues to act more like a maitre d' with comedic aspirations than a competent NFL head coach.

I do not get the collective fixation with Moore. He hasn't exactly shown any semblance of a Midas touch. The offense still stinks. Punk-a$$ Keller bears no resemblance to Dallas Clark and Sanchez's putrid play is in a class by itself. WTF has Moore done? Drool on himself during film sessions? Piss his Depends on in the booth and smile?

And by the way, how is Callahan the answer? The OL looks like crap and that is not limited to Hunter who, if he were a horse, would be taken out back and shot.

he's a consultant-he's not the one calling any plays-he's an observer, another set of eyes for the half blind offensive coordinator we are stuck with hopefully only ONE MORE WEEK before he moves on to greener pastures. I think the Jets are hoping someone hires him before they have to fire him. The Jets seem to ,like Schottenheimer and his family; Marty, and they know Brian has kids to feed and they don't want to ruin the guy or have the perception out there that it was all his fault-this is going to be a sticky situation, and we Jets fans are going to be really angry as we see him not get the Mangini 3 O'clock in the morning treatment.

Good read...Glauber makes sense...Schotty needs to go. Like the comparison to Eli...makes more sense to swap coaches and hope Sanchez can turn it around. Schotty sucks and Callahan would make the easier transition...with that said I don't think Moore stays...too old and his impact was what exactly this year?

If I had the decision, I'd wait to see what happens with Turner in SD...always thought him and Wade Phillips exemplified the "Peter Principle"...always getting promoted to a level of incompetency (hehe...Rex may make the list yet) but look at what Phillips did in Houston this year. I expect Turner to make a similar impact as an OC after he gets sh*t canned from the Chargers. Can he work for Rex after the BS comments Rex made I have no idea.

Callahan for Schotty could jump-start Jets

Updated: Dec 25, 2011 09:58 PM

By BOB GLAUBER

With his team facing a worthy NFC foe on Christmas Eve and a playoff spot hanging in the balance, the quarterback produced a miserable performance in a blowout loss, leading to increasing questions about whether he truly is the long-term answer for the franchise.

He had been acquired in a blockbuster first-round trade three years earlier, but the wretched showing in the next-to-last game of the season created even more uncertainty about his future. There was a growing consensus from the fans -- and even many in the pro football personnel community -- that the quarterback might amount to nothing more than the latest NFL bust.

Mark Sanchez ?

No, Eli Manning .

Go back exactly five years to the day, and you'll see that Manning was coming off an atrocious showing in a 30-7 loss to the Saints in New Orleans. He was 9-for-25 for 74 yards, one touchdown and an interception. The Giants fell to 7-8, Tom Coughlin 's job was on the line, and only a win over the Redskins in the final week of the season would put them in the playoffs and get Coughlin into the 2007 season as head coach.

The Giants got that win, but not before Coughlin made a bold move that ultimately benefited his franchise quarterback.

With major questions swirling about how the Giants were handling the play-calling for Manning, Coughlin replaced offensive coordinator John Hufnagel with quarterbacks coach Kevin Gilbride , who previously had called plays for Coughlin in Jacksonville.

A year later, Coughlin, Manning and the Giants won the Super Bowl .

EY.......you asked a question a few weeks ago ? something about a formula ? there's your answer.....lol

Its not the fact that they threw its how the throws were placed around the field. The Jets offense has been at their worst against teams with weak deep secondary play like the Patriots and the Giants. These are teams where going into the game you say to yourself "this is where Sanchez gets the 300 yards and looks really good". Instead you come out scratching your head. The Giants attempt to play man defense and cant do it. Their LBs are more or less like ours when they switch to deeper zone coverage. But we attack 7 and 8 yards down the field. We had They had 5 pass attempts down the field, most late in the game. The breakdown was 36 passes under 10 yards, 15 over 10 yards. There were also the batted down passes (Clemens used to have the problem too and maybe there is more to that than just the height, maybe the QB coaching has not been good in preparing delivery for the pros) and throw aways to avoid pressure. Maybe those were designed to go down the field.

By comparison, last week the Redskins had 14 passes go more than 10. They had 9 travel under that distance. They had 5 that were longer than 20 yards, same amount as the Jets, clearly a much higher percentage of the offensive design. For as bad as Sanchez has been he certainly is no worse than Rex Grossman.

EY.......you asked a question a few weeks ago ? something about a formula ? there's your answer.....lol

I believe another poster debunked this already... and since when do we believe anything beat writers think, only when it supports our own notions i guess

We all know Sanchez has major flaws. S a OC is 'supposed' to call plays that dont emphasize his flaws. I dont care if Giants secondary was a weakness. #6 couldnt fully exploit it. Add in fact the run game was working with Greene/LT.

The FREAKIN NAIL in coffin for Schotty in my mind and virtually all Jet beat writers was what happened with 5:30 to play.

Rungame workin, we get ball at midfield and we throw 3 passes and punt. MY GOD!!!!!!! That is Football 101 there. Your rungame is working, you are down 6 and 5:30 on clock. You at least TRY a runoriented drive to both Kill the clock and hopefully win the game. Inexcusable and a fireable offense. I do agree Rex SHOULD have told Schotty at 5:30 mark: 'TRY to run ball here on 1st down, see what we get'. I think we could have killed clock there and won game or just missed with a last second 4th down try as clock expired.

If your franchise QB in his 3rd year cannot expose secondaaries like the Giants then you don't have a franchise QB.

People who think Callahan will magically turn Sanchez into a good NFL QB are dreaming.

Finally, I wanted to start a new thread for this but was afraid of the backlash, lol.. Free agent Jason Campbell is a better QB than Mark Sanchez. So why not bring him in for Callahan to work with? Trafe Sanchez for the highest draft pick possible....then start reloading.

Sanchez is not good. Callahan will not make him good. Time to fire Shotty and Sanchez all at once!

If your franchise QB in his 3rd year cannot expose secondaaries like the Giants then you don't have a franchise QB.

People who think Callahan will magically turn Sanchez into a good NFL QB are dreaming.

Finally, I wanted to start a new thread for this but was afraid of the backlash, lol.. Free agent Jason Campbell is a better QB than Mark Sanchez. So why not bring him in for Callahan to work with? Trafe Sanchez for the highest draft pick possible....then start reloading.

Sanchez is not good. Callahan will not make him good. Time to fire Shotty and Sanchez all at once!

that won't happen yet Dirk-not until Woody Johnson knows for sure if it's a bad QB or a bad OC and offensive system that has caused this mess. First Shottenheimer goes, then it's Sanchez and then it should be either Tannenbaum or Ryan if things don't get better quick.

My one biggest fear is that the Jets are too concerned about Brian Schott's reputation and chances in this league and hold on to him too long and we see better options at OC getting hired until there's nobody but Anthony Lynn left-they must be cold and certain and act with much haste to improve this team or I will really start believing that Schott actually DOES have naked pictures of Woody with a sheep

We all know Sanchez has major flaws. S a OC is 'supposed' to call plays that dont emphasize his flaws. I dont care if Giants secondary was a weakness. #6 couldnt fully exploit it. Add in fact the run game was working with Greene/LT.

The FREAKIN NAIL in coffin for Schotty in my mind and virtually all Jet beat writers was what happened with 5:30 to play.

Rungame workin, we get ball at midfield and we throw 3 passes and punt. MY GOD!!!!!!! That is Football 101 there. Your rungame is working, you are down 6 and 5:30 on clock. You at least TRY a runoriented drive to both Kill the clock and hopefully win the game. Inexcusable and a fireable offense. I do agree Rex SHOULD have told Schotty at 5:30 mark: 'TRY to run ball here on 1st down, see what we get'. I think we could have killed clock there and won game or just missed with a last second 4th down try as clock expired.

Bingo. The thread article is also spot on IMO.

Go to any Skins board to see just how good Jason Campbell is. He was run out of Washington.

Rex just now on his beleaguered OC: "We’ll just keep working side by side, shoulder to shoulder and try to find a way to beat Miami."

Rex: "I can say this: I don't know if anybody works as hard as Brian Schottenheimer. ..."

Ryan said It's easy to look back after the game and say you should have run the ball more.

Man, I'm sorry guys but his schtick is starting to get old for this Jets fan

Attack the weak secondary with 5 yard passes?

And inconsistent playcalling is going for it all on 4th and 2 instead of running the football or being in the redzone and completely forgetting the running game.

I do agree with you though, in the position that he's in Sanchez has stunk it up.

Exactly.

In the NFL Callahan has been the OC of the Raiders from '98 - '01. Head coach of the Raiders in '02 and '03. His only other non-Jets pro experience has been with the Eagles from '95 - '97.

Is that enough of a body of work to hand the keys over to?

and I might add as HC of the mighty Nebraska Cornhuskers, he almost destroyed the program.....just say NO to Callahan!!!!

Archived