What is this nonsense about firing Rex?.

Freemanm

I've been hearing people say that Rex should be fired, and that's just plain nonsense. The players love playing for him, he hasn't had a sub 500 record since he's gotten here, we've went to two AFC title games, etc. Plus we still have (albeit slim to none) a chance to grab the last wc spot with a win this Sunday.

Yes, this season hasn't gone as planned, and yes, it's time to dump Brian Schottenheimer (and that isn't reactionary, in nearly three seasons now the criticism of him hasn't changed). But fire Rex?? I think that's just jumping the gun. If the Jets can find a way to shore up the OL this off-season (Slauson and Hunter are back ups/practice squad players at best, plus the Jets never really got over Woody retiring) and get an OC who an come up with more creative plays than two yard dump passes to LT or Keller, we'll be in good shape. Another DT who specializes in stuffing the run wouldn't hurt either.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I actually like the fact that Rex has a big mouth. He's brash and entertaining. Let's not forget the days when Herm Edwards was HC, and the guy's expression never seemed to change and at times the stuff he said in the post game didn't make sense.

Tannenbaum is a good GM. He'll have an entire off season to make the right moves.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, good post Freeman.

Some of the reactions on this message board have been (predictably) comical.

Rex definitely needs to tone it down in the news conferences. I had a chat with Marvin Jones yesterday, who believes that Rex's problem right now is that the locker room is not comprised of guys who share his personality. The Jets are actually a soft spoken, wannabe finesse team right now, and not the hard-nosed run-it-down-your-throat team they've been the past 2 years.

Rex and Tannenbaum have a ton of work to do in the offseason, but to suggest (especially in a conclusory way, like some people around here have) that Rex has to go...well...get a friggin clue.

Nonsense? The man has lost two games in a row and we might not make the playoffs for the first time under him as a HC. He and his coaching staff just don't even muhfckin know.

Just to play the contrarian, has the team progressed? Or is it getting worse?

Has the team tuned him out? Are the players getting tired of all his talking?

Has he slowed down Sanchez' progress? Does Sanchez want him around?

I do not think he gets fired, but I would not be real surprised if he does.

I've been hearing people say that Rex should be fired, and that's just plain nonsense. The players love playing for him, he hasn't had a sub 500 record since he's gotten here, we've went to two AFC title games, etc. Plus we still have (albeit slim to none) a chance to grab the last wc spot with a win this Sunday.

Yes, this season hasn't gone as planned, and yes, it's time to dump Brian Schottenheimer (and that isn't reactionary, in nearly three seasons now the criticism of him hasn't changed). But fire Rex?? I think that's just jumping the gun. If the Jets can find a way to shore up the OL this off-season (Slauson and Hunter are back ups/practice squad players at best, plus the Jets never really got over Woody retiring) and get an OC who an come up with more creative plays than two yard dump passes to LT or Keller, we'll be in good shape. Another DT who specializes in stuffing the run wouldn't hurt either.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I actually like the fact that Rex has a big mouth. He's brash and entertaining. Let's not forget the days when Herm Edwards was HC, and the guy's expression never seemed to change and at times the stuff he said in the post game didn't make sense.

Tannenbaum is a good GM. He'll have an entire off season to make the right moves.

Tanny had this offseason to improve on a team that went to the AFCCG and at the most important time for a GM to shine he failed In a big time way.

I don't think anyone is calling for Rex's job, so the OP reaction is silly. Eat a dick.

At least 3 posters have suggested it in the past 24 hours. OP is right on to call attention to this nonsense. Good post, good thread.

Tanny had this offseason to improve on a team that went to the AFCCG and at the most important time for a GM to shine he failed In a big time way.

Ummmm... how could he be expected to make major upgrades when the team was up against the wall with the cap and had perhaps as many players headed to free agency as any other team in the league?

. Tanny had this offseason to improve on a team that went to the AFCCG and at the most important time for a GM to shine he failed In a big time way.

Actually, he didn't. The lockout didn't end until mid-august, and before then no teams could make any player/personell moves.

Anyway, it's looking more and more like an inevitability that Schotty will go at the end of the season. I know Rex won't say it publicly, but I get the feeling that even he knows that.

As I coined here on this website, "SOJ" means "Same'Ol Jetfans". Someone actually posted about missing Mangini in another thread and Holmes having fumbling/dropped ball issues since his career as a Jet. You cant take some Jetfans seriously.

Put up Rex's record against any other Jets coach in their first 3 years and that will tell you alot. You cant listen to some fans (including myself at times) because we get too emotional. Thats what happens when you have the history the Jets have...to be fair.

We're not giving Rex ANY leeway and we're placing an entire history of franchise failure upon his shoulder as if he's been the coach for 4 decades. You can tell just by some comments like "Im getting tired of this, I've been a fan for 30 years". Now I understand the frustration, but Rex has been the most successful Jets coach in decades and he hasnt even completed his 3rd year. He hasnt even had a losing season as a Jet headcoach. Could you imagine the fervor and the foaming at the mouth if Rex were to ever go 6-10? The attacks on Rex is just ridiculous. He's not the perfect coach, but he's the best we had in a VERY LONG TIME. We talk about how bad some of the key players are so I see that being a compliment to Rex for getting us to 2 AFCC games in a row, though some would then downplay with "but he lost them". I'd just ask them, whens the last time we even been in that situation, over a decade ago, and a decade ago before that? Like I said, you cant listen to Jetfans when they're emotional.

Good post.

At least 3 posters have suggested it in the past 24 hours. OP is right on to call attention to this nonsense. Good post, good thread.

Ummmm... how could he be expected to make major upgrades when the team was up against the wall with the cap and had perhaps as many players headed to free agency as any other team in the league?

Actually, he didn't. The lockout didn't end until mid-august, and before then no teams could make any player/personell moves.

Anyway, it's looking more and more like an inevitability that Schotty will go at the end of the season. I know Rex won't say it publicly, but I get the feeling that even he knows that.

I got news for you guys. Every team in the NFL knew that lockout was looming years in advance. There was no reason at all to believe any different. I guess the better GM's in the league prepared for it and the Jets were in terrible shape with so many players up for contracts. At some point you would think (even a few years in advance ) that Tanny would have noticed all the players that were due for FA that year and made some pre emptive moves or extentions. Sorry but every team in the league was under the same pressure. Even when we all saw the disaster that was our O-line in pre season and Turner got hurt I remember the Ravens signing 2 FA lineman soon after. Did we even make a play for those guys I cant remember the names but I think they were cap casualties and one had been to a pro bowl.

The arguement about the skill players aside the Jets failed miserably in one of the most important areas on the football field the O-Line and when you have a young Qb who is learning why put him under the constant pressure he had to deal with early in the season ? It obviously had an effect and still does because at times this line has been so bad I think the kid is completely shell shocked if you cant trust your line as a QB you start to see the bad Habits you all rip Sanchez for.

I got news for you guys. Every team in the NFL knew that lockout was looming years in advance. There was no reason at all to believe any different. I guess the better GM's in the league prepared for it and the Jets were in terrible shape with so many players up for contracts. At some point you would think (even a few years in advance ) that Tanny would have noticed all the players that were due for FA that year and made some pre emptive moves or extentions. Sorry but every team in the league was under the same pressure. Even when we all saw the disaster that was our O-line in pre season and Turner got hurt I remember the Ravens signing 2 FA lineman soon after. Did we even make a play for those guys I cant remember the names but I think they were cap casualties and one had been to a pro bowl.

The arguement about the skill players aside the Jets failed miserably in one of the most important areas on the football field the O-Line and when you have a young Qb who is learning why put him under the constant pressure he had to deal with early in the season ? It obviously had an effect and still does because at times this line has been so bad I think the kid is completely shell shocked if you cant trust your line as a QB you start to see the bad Habits you all rip Sanchez for.

Though I emphasized the bottom portion, this entire statement made sense. This offensive line was a complete horror this season and vets like Mangold and D'brick werent their usual self. Brick was getting owned more than usual this year and Mangold had injury issues. Our entire right side of the O-line is suspect and because of this our running game was practically nonexistent.

Sanchez needs 4 seconds between the snap and the throw to grow and develop. Dude was getting hammered all year. As I said, he's had some horrible games but given this O-line and a coordinator named Schotty I'd give this kid 2 years under a competent OC and a rebuilt O-line to show that he can play this game at this level.

Though I emphasized the bottom portion, this entire statement made sense. This offensive line was a complete horror this season and vets like Mangold and D'brick werent their usual self. Brick was getting owned more than usual this year and Mangold had injury issues. Our entire right side of the O-line is suspect and because of this our running game was practically nonexistent.

Sanchez needs 4 seconds between the snap and the throw to grow and develop. Dude was getting hammered all year. As I said, he's had some horrible games but given this O-line and a coordinator named Schotty I'd give this kid 2 years under a competent OC and a rebuilt O-line to show that he can play this game at this level.

Think we're on the same page villian.

Every NFL team with a potential HC vacancy would presumably fall all over each other to have Cowher as their HC, as his name gets mentioned as the dream-type HC hire every off-season for years now.

This year Rex will be either 9-7 or 8-8 with a team that lost the AFCCG the prior year.

In Cowher's last year coaching he went 8-8 with a team that won the SB the prior year.

Rex is not getting dumped, you crazies.

Guys the reality is this....2008 we already were a playoff team.

Rex is NOT a good HC just because he says so.

I am not saying for Rex to get fired.

All I am saying is that he needs to STFU and pay attention to what is going on here instead of BSing the people and his team.

Be smart and prepare your team for this coming week. For this game against the Dolfins....have a great game.

Talk is cheap...always will and always has been.....

Guys the reality is this....2008 we already were a playoff team.

Rex is NOT a good HC just because he says so.

WTH? We didn't make the playoffs in 2008, we went from a hall of fame QB to a rookie with 1 year of experience in college, and implemented a whole new defensive system. Yet, STILL we had much more success in 2009 than 2008.

I've only been a Jets fan since the Carter administration and was abusively dressed in Jets gear since Nixon. I owe my undying loyalty to a 25 year-old bundle of nerves who can't throw a football exactly where he wants it to go.

Nixon predates carter....so shouldn't you have said "I have been a Jets fan since Nixon and abusively dressed in Jets gear since Carter?...Just saying or are you trying to rewrite history?

Has nothing to do with the lockout.... has everything to do with the fact that some years, you are going to have more $$$ to spend than others. This happened to be the first season in a very long time where we did not have much room for the cap. That hasn't happened in years. Every other year where we have had cap room to spare, Tanny has made brilliant moves. He'll do it again if he has some room next year.

WTH? We didn't make the playoffs in 2008, we went from a hall of fame QB to a rookie with 1 year of experience in college, and implemented a whole new defensive system. Yet, STILL we had much more success in 2009 than 2008.

What I was trying to say was if Favre did not get hurt we were going to the playoffs and would have competed deep into them....2008 we beat argueably the two best teams in the AFC in back to back weeks..Tenn and then the Pats..remember.

Nixon predates carter....so shouldn't you have said "I have been a Jets fan since Nixon and abusively dressed in Jets gear since Carter?...Just saying or are you trying to rewrite history?

I was dressed in Jets baby/kids gear during Nixon. I became aware of the Jets being a football team during Carter. What are you talking about?

I've only been a Jets fan since the Carter administration and was abusively dressed in Jets gear since Nixon. I owe my undying loyalty to a 25 year-old bundle of nerves who can't throw a football exactly where he wants it to go.

Ha ha! I blame my Jets loyalty on Wesley Walker, who made a brilliant over the shoulder catch on a 45 TD bomb from Richard Todd late in the 4th quarter in the div. round against the Raiders in 1982. the catch set up a last minute 17-14 win and got us in to the mud bowl. If I only knew then, at nine years old, what I know now...

He gets 2 more seasons until the whole split head coaching thing officially runs its course. At the very least he deserves a full year without Sanchez.

Rex doesn't deserve sh*t until he decides to actually be the HC rather than a glorified DC. If he fails to be a real HC next year he should be on the hot seat.

He gets 2 more seasons until the whole split head coaching thing officially runs its course. At the very least he deserves a full year without Sanchez.

Kinda-stupid-but-legitimately-serious question: do we overstate the split HC thing? Seems to me it works just fine for McCarthy and Payton.

Kinda-stupid-but-legitimately-serious question: do we overstate the split HC thing? Seems to me it works just fine for McCarthy and Payton.

Of course we do. Its retarded. I really cant think of too many examples of successful HC's that have complete control of both sides of the ball. Where are they going to find enough time in the day to do it? There is a reason why you have DC's and OC's and they often go on to find HC'ing jobs.

Couple of examples: What has BB won since Wiess and Crenell left the team? What does Mike Tomlin know about offense? He never played it, never coached it. Further, what is he going to tell Dick LeBeau about coaching the 3-4? I could go on.

Archived