What is this nonsense about firing Rex?.

Freemanm

Kinda-stupid-but-legitimately-serious question: do we overstate the split HC thing? Seems to me it works just fine for McCarthy and Payton.

That was only after Payton fired his DC because the D sucked and hired Greg Williams.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda-stupid-but-legitimately-serious question: do we overstate the split HC thing? Seems to me it works just fine for McCarthy and Payton.

Probably. You can hear it in the post game press conferences with him though, even at the end of his 3rd year he speaks as if he had no clue what the offensive gameplan was prior to kickoff. Can't say the same for anyone else in the league. Can't say I've ever seen it with any coach really.

Rex doesn't deserve sh*t until he decides to actually be the HC rather than a glorified DC. If he fails to be a real HC next year he should be on the hot seat.

The thing is that coaches get judged on wins and losses. The fact that he's had so much success in his first 3 seasons with a QB this bad is pretty inpressive. That has to earn a guy some benefit of a doubt. The personnel was mismanaged so poorly this year that it's hard to put all of it on him. But the offense is by far the largest problem and that's where he has the least amount of impact. It makes you wonder just how much he's even able to help fix any of it.

Probably. You can hear it in the post game press conferences with him though, even at the end of his 3rd year he speaks as if he had no clue what the offensive gameplan was prior to kickoff. Can't say the same for anyone else in the league. Can't say I've ever seen it with any coach really.

EXACTLY. The post game presser was the kicker. And he LIED about the game too in giving an excuse. He said that throwing so much was because they were down big, but it was a close game until the 4th. Sanchez had already thrown it 28 times in the 1st half in a 7-10 game.

Rex had no idea what the offensive gameplan was, did nothing while Schitty called the game right in front of him (the offensive playcalls go through Rex's headset) and then proceeded to throw Schitty under the bus after the game.

Rex went to 2 straight AFFCG because Schitty and Westhoff didn't embarrass themselves. Now that both units have taken a step back, Rex is completely clueless.

The thing is that coaches get judged on wins and losses. The fact that he's had so much success in his first 3 seasons with a QB this bad is pretty inpressive. That has to earn a guy some benefit of a doubt. The personnel was mismanaged so poorly this year that it's hard to put all of it on him. But the offense is by far the largest problem and that's where he has the least amount of impact. It makes you wonder just how much he's even able to help fix any of it.

I agree with that because of his success, but the Ronald Reagan act is killing the team. This is Rex's Iran Contra scandal.

Rex needs to know what the heck is going on in all facets and have ultimate authority over it.

Rex earns the benefit of the doubt as a DC, but we can't give it to him as a HC until he demonstrates that he is actually going to be the HC.

He is the best coach in the league- just ask him.

I disagree with several posts defending Tannenbaum. I think he is a horrible football guy. remember, he was a cap expert under Parcells- not much of a talent evaluator or just a football guy. He has made some interesting personnel moves and his drafts have been less that stellar. Wilkerson this year was a good pick. But there have been plenty of stinkers, and the depth on the team is thin, which goes back to how he assembles a team.

Rex is safe for at least another year. Woody likes him. But if 2012 looks anything like 2011, I think both will be fired.

I disagree with several posts defending Tannenbaum. I think he is a horrible football guy. remember, he was a cap expert under Parcells- not much of a talent evaluator or just a football guy. He has made some interesting personnel moves and his drafts have been less that stellar. Wilkerson this year was a good pick. But there have been plenty of stinkers, and the depth on the team is thin, which goes back to how he assembles a team.

Rex is safe for at least another year. Woody likes him. But if 2012 looks anything like 2011, I think both will be fired.

Fired without having a single sub .500 season and multiple playoff appearances? Wow. The guy has a .600+ winning percentage.

I think Jason's right in that he and Schottenheimer are at loggerheads over the structure of the offense (which is how you end up throwing 59 times for 4.3 Y/A), but him saying things like "you can't win throwing it that many times" begs the question of why he doesn't step in and put a stop to it. I wonder if there's a weird power imbalance because Schottenheimer predates Rex. Sanchez being ungodly terrible certainly doesn't help either, because it blurs the line between gameplans and playcalls that are poorly planned and gameplans and playcalls that are planned with the express purpose of minimizing Sanchez's ability to make the big mistake.

I wonder if there's a weird power imbalance because Schottenheimer predates Rex.

I think the apparent weird power imbalance has more to do with the fact that it's starting to look like Schottenheimer will be here after Rex is gone.

I think what he's done with such a lousy QB is very impressive. Maybe even some of the most impressive coaching in the NFL. Especially when you consider what he's done on the road against elite QB's in the playoffs. This day in age, that just doesnt happen anymore.

I really dont think he's alone when it comes to being lost in offensive meeting or whatever. I mean, you look around the league and there are tons of coaches who all they've done is coach offense or defense - can you really expect them to just turn it on and be able to coach/fix both sides of the ball?

John Harbaugh has been a ST's coach since the 80's before getting hired as HC. WTF does he know about offense or defense for that matter?

What did Andy Ried tell Jimmy Johnson about coaching defense all those years?

What does McCarthy tell Dom Capers about coaching defense?

Again, I could go on. But it is quite common for a HC to be great on one side of the ball to keep their focus their and essentially outsource the other 2 phases of the game.

I think Jason's right in that he and Schottenheimer are at loggerheads over the structure of the offense (which is how you end up throwing 59 times for 4.3 Y/A), but him saying things like "you can't win throwing it that many times" begs the question of why he doesn't step in and put a stop to it. I wonder if there's a weird power imbalance because Schottenheimer predates Rex. Sanchez being ungodly terrible certainly doesn't help either, because it blurs the line between gameplans and playcalls that are poorly planned and gameplans and playcalls that are planned with the express purpose of minimizing Sanchez's ability to make the big mistake.

This is my only gripe. I have no problem with him not being involved in the game plan. I dont think its uncommon around the league. But I do have a problem with stepping in and smacking him in the face if the game isnt going the way he wanted it.

I think the apparent weird power imbalance has more to do with the fact that it's starting to look like Schottenheimer will be here after Rex is gone.

Really? Why?

Really? Why?

Because of the extension we can keep Schottenheimer without promoting him if we make a head coaching change. Fire Tannenbaum, fire Rex, cut Sanchez, promote Pettine, and hire whatever GM can deliver the best quarterback. Pretty quick fix as total rebuilds go.

Because of the extension we can keep Schottenheimer without promoting him if we make a head coaching change. Fire Tannenbaum, fire Rex, cut Sanchez, promote Pettine, and hire whatever GM can deliver the best quarterback. Pretty quick fix as total rebuilds go.

So you are predicting Rex to be a victim of black monday?

No. Woody's not going to have Tannenbaum fire Rex only to get fired himself and it'll take some time to get the new GM lined up.

So this is 2012 prediction? I'm just curious. Its a new take. One I havent seen. Many seem to think Schotty is done, extension be damned. I dont see it. But I dont see Rex going anywhere any time soon unless Woody gets fed up with his mouth.

I agree with that because of his success, but the Ronald Reagan act is killing the team. This is Rex's Iran Contra scandal.

Rex needs to know what the heck is going on in all facets and have ultimate authority over it.

Rex earns the benefit of the doubt as a DC, but we can't give it to him as a HC until he demonstrates that he is actually going to be the HC.

This.

He is the best coach in the league- just ask him

This statement is ridiculous. Rex has stated on several occasions that BB is a better coach that he is as just one example.

There's plenty of things about Rex that you can criticize, but this isn't one of them.

But I dont see Rex going anywhere any time soon unless Woody gets fed up with his mouth.

Of course Woody is fed up with his mouth. He overpromises and underdelivers. You really think guys as rich as Woody just chalk that up to personality and chuckle at Rex being Rex? Of ******* course not.

Of course Woody is fed up with his mouth. He overpromises and underdelivers. You really think guys as rich as Woody just chalk that up to personality and chuckle at Rex being Rex? Of ******* course not.

I honestly dont know. The Jets have never had this much press/coverage in my life time. Something to be said for that if you are a owner. That and he's the best HC we've had maybe ever.

I honestly dont know. The Jets have never had this much press/coverage in my life time. Something to be said for that if you are a owner. That and he's the best HC we've had maybe ever.

Maybe? Definitely! Even the almighty Tuna couldn't get back to back champ games. You could make a case for Weeb since he won a SB, but other than that ....

Woody cares about $$$, not wins or losses. having big mouth as HC of the NYJ keeps the interest in the team high, which will generate more $$$.

Sanchez is not a terrible qb. He hasn't had much time in the pocket at all this year and he still tends to hold on to the ball too long. But he makes good throws and has shown that he can come through under pressure (remember the final drive against the Colts in last year's playoffs that led to Folk's gw fg?). I do agree that Schottenheimer's time is done here, but Rex or Tannenbaum or Woody aren't going to come right out and say it. They'll do it with class and wait until the end of the season (which very well could be on Sunday). If they don't let him go then I'll seriously wonder about their judgment and if they've been watching something different than the rest of us these past three seasons. But I think Callahan, who has shown that he's a WC offensive guru, will takeover.

Sanchez is not a terrible qb. He hasn't had much time in the pocket at all this year and he still tends to hold on to the ball too long. But he makes good throws and has shown that he can come through under pressure (remember the final drive against the Colts in last year's playoffs that led to Folk's gw fg?). I do agree that Schottenheimer's time is done here, but Rex or Tannenbaum or Woody aren't going to come right out and say it. They'll do it with class and wait until the end of the season (which very well could be on Sunday). If they don't let him go then I'll seriously wonder about their judgment and if they've been watching something different than the rest of us these past three seasons. But I think Callahan, who has shown that he's a WC offensive guru, will takeover.

I hope they dont make callahan the oc. bring in fresh blood from the outside who wasnt part of the failure of this team.

Hey, welcome back lol

• 11 months later...

I've been hearing people say that Rex should be fired, and that's just plain nonsense. The players love playing for him, he hasn't had a sub 500 record since he's gotten here, we've went to two AFC title games, etc. Plus we still have (albeit slim to none) a chance to grab the last wc spot with a win this Sunday.

Yes, this season hasn't gone as planned, and yes, it's time to dump Brian Schottenheimer (and that isn't reactionary, in nearly three seasons now the criticism of him hasn't changed). But fire Rex?? I think that's just jumping the gun. If the Jets can find a way to shore up the OL this off-season (Slauson and Hunter are back ups/practice squad players at best, plus the Jets never really got over Woody retiring) and get an OC who an come up with more creative plays than two yard dump passes to LT or Keller, we'll be in good shape. Another DT who specializes in stuffing the run wouldn't hurt either.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I actually like the fact that Rex has a big mouth. He's brash and entertaining. Let's not forget the days when Herm Edwards was HC, and the guy's expression never seemed to change and at times the stuff he said in the post game didn't make sense.

Tannenbaum is a good GM. He'll have an entire off season to make the right moves.

How about now???

I not only advocate it, I will be incredibly pissed if they don't do it.

Get rid of Buddy Jr!

Name one head coach you would prefer.

There's nothing out there. Rex has a lot more upside than Reid and Turner. Cowher isn't coming here but even if he would, stop sugarcoating his success. Look at how many failed years he had.

You guys are ridiculous.

Name one head coach you would prefer.

There's nothing out there. Rex has a lot more upside than Reid and Turner. Cowher isn't coming here but even if he would, stop sugarcoating his success. Look at how many failed years he had.

You guys are ridiculous.

Woody is probably too tight to eat some cash and can Rex but at the moment anyone is better suited for the job. Rex showed signs of being lost last year. This year it is without question that he is not HC material. He benefited from a talented roster and some major luck in 09 and 10.

Archived