How Bad IS Wayne Hunter?

SoFlaJets

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hunter is scary bad and Ducasse may be worse. We are going to be facing some serious issues this offseason and Im not too confident we make the right choices given the ones we've made the past 2 years.

Vlad's ceiling is at guard without a doubt. He is a good run blocker but a horrid pass blocker. That keeps him from being a viable Tackle because of his slow foot speed. I think in time he could become a Slauson level guard, no more no less.

Vlad's ceiling is at guard without a doubt. He is a good run blocker but a horrid pass blocker. That keeps him from being a viable Tackle because of his slow foot speed. I think in time he could become a Slauson level guard, no more no less.

TN im not sure how you can call Ducasse good at anything in his limited time playing he has been a total train wreck so how do we even know if hes a good run blocker ?

TN im not sure how you can call Ducasse good at anything in his limited time playing he has been a total train wreck so how do we even know if hes a good run blocker ?

Because this season I have actually seen him over power a few guys for Greene's long runs. Maybe he only did it 5 or 6 times, but he has done it.

Hunter's suckness might be a bit overstated. Honestly, if Anthony Muñoz was playing RT for the Jets, would Sanchez be a better QB? Would Schotty be a better OC?

Sanchez holds the ball and takes sacks more than the average NFL QB. Wayne Hunter looks especially bad in the matchups against Babin and Ware but those are tough assignments for every right tackle.

let me be perfectly clear I agree generally that Hunter sucks. I just wonder how much of a difference it makes, in the grand scheme of things.

Hunter's suckness might be a bit overstated. Honestly, if Anthony Muñoz was playing RT for the Jets, would Sanchez be a better QB? Would Schotty be a better OC?

In the steaming pile of sh*t that is the Jets offense he stands out like the turd I drop every year after ST Paddys day. He sucks

Its just sad. Hunter is the worst T in the NFL, but that is Sanchez's fault. Jets were 5th in passes over 40 yds last year, get rid of Braylon, have no WR speed, and are now last in that category, but itall Sanchez's fault because he sucks.

So, Tom, you ask if Sanchez would be better with a decent RT, the answer is yes. Good pass blocking helps any QB, even the worst QB in NFL like Sanchez

Ducasse HAS no ceiling TN...he has no awareness out there-I swear it's almost like he's blind or something. Last week or the week before Klecko and Lucas were talking about him on Post Game Live and they charted the plays he was in on-in the 4 or 5 plays that they put him in, he didn't even touch anyone-he's THAT bad. The worst instincts of any offensive lineman I have ever seen in over 4 decades of watching the NFL-and the Jets have had some stinkers

Ducasse HAS no ceiling TN...he has no awareness out there-I swear it's almost like he's blind or something. Last week or the week before Klecko and Lucas were talking about him on Post Game Live and they charted the plays he was in on-in the 4 or 5 plays that they put him in, he didn't even touch anyone-he's THAT bad. The worst instincts of any offensive lineman I have ever seen in over 4 decades of watching the NFL-and the Jets have had some stinkers

Between him and Gholston, I mean...just absolute cant happens within 3 years.

This. For some bizarre reason the notion that Sanchez had the best line in the league for two seasons and yet this season was statistically his best year gets completely ignored. Hunter sucks but no line in the league can be consistent on the sacks end when the QB is holding onto the ball for 4+ seconds regularly, or stepping straight into the line of fire rather than side-stepping anything. Wayne Hunter wasn't the one double clutching on a jailbreak against Baltimore.

Between him and Gholston, I mean...just absolute cant happens within 3 years.

and the thing about drafting busts like that is that it takes years to overcome. I think we have finally gotten over the Gholston disaster by us getting lucky and getting Maybin. Now the Ducasse disaster has yet to be addressed. What kills me I swear is the Jets' front office refusing to call a spade a spade, or in this case a bust a bust and stubbornly insisting on keeping underachieving high draft picks around and NOT cutting them like Belichick has done countless times. We keep guys like Gholston, Clemens, and now Ducasse around insisting that with the proper coaching and with enough time spent on these stiffs that all will eventually be well and good. It also sucks that they are kept around and serve as a reminder to everyone that there was a failure in the ranks and keeping them around is keeping failure around and pissing off REAL talented and underpaid players. A guy like Mikey DeVito and Matt Slauson are getting a lot less $$ than what Ducasse is getting for his 4 crappy plays a game

This. For some bizarre reason the notion that Sanchez had the best line in the league for two seasons and yet this season was statistically his best year gets completely ignored. Hunter sucks but no line in the league can be consistent on the sacks end when the QB is holding onto the ball for 4+ seconds regularly, or stepping straight into the line of fire rather than side-stepping anything. Wayne Hunter wasn't the one double clutching on a jailbreak against Baltimore.

Wait, so you mean that Wayne Hunter wouldn't turn Aaron Rodgers into a jag???

Which is why I keep referring back to what happened with David Carr in Houston. After a while these beleaguered QB's get shellshocked and worry more about the pass rush coming than making the play-I fear that is what has happened to Mark Sanchez. As Jets fans we can only hope that it's a temporary and fixable problem or we ARE screwed and WILL need a new QB.

Sanchez holds the ball and takes sacks more than the average NFL QB. Wayne Hunter looks especially bad in the matchups against Babin and Ware but those are tough assignments for every right tackle.

let me be perfectly clear I agree generally that Hunter sucks. I just wonder how much of a difference it makes, in the grand scheme of things.

This gets overlooked so much it's absurd.

For as lowly-ranked as Hunter is, the reason Sanchez gets let off the hook is there is no measurement of how well Sanchez avoids pressure compared to most. Because I see the pocket collapse on other QB's non-stop. The good ones know when to move up, when to slip up and to the left or up and to the right between his own guard and an over-pursuing DE, and sense how quickly to get rid of it when pressure is there. Sanchez has no instincts for any of this.

As you mentioned, it does not at all absolve Hunter for being generally lousy this year in pass blocking. But I think Sanchezapologists have this notion that every other decent QB in the league has 4+ second pockets every time he drops back to pass, when the reality is most have little time to throw just like Sanchez. He had as good overall pass blocking as there is in the league in the past, and it didn't make him a good passer.

Which is why I keep referring back to what happened with David Carr in Houston. After a while these beleaguered QB's get shellshocked and worry more about the pass rush coming than making the play-I fear that is what has happened to Mark Sanchez.

The only difference between then and now is that Sanchez didn't have Woody masking the fact that he can't get rid of the ******* ball this season. Sooner or later the training wheels have to come off. It's the end of the dude's 3rd year and he still can't grasp what his primary responsibilities are when his line is blocking for 5 and the defense is rushing 6. Shell shocked is right on the money but Sanchez has himself to blame a lot more than Hunter.

The only difference between then and now is that Sanchez didn't have Woody masking the fact that he can't get rid of the ******* ball this season. Sooner or later the training wheels have to come off. It's the end of the dude's 3rd year and he still can't grasp what his primary responsibilities are when his line is blocking for 5 and the defense is rushing 6. Shell shocked is right on the money but Sanchez has himself to blame a lot more than Hunter.

Yea RJF that post isn't so much an indictment on Hunter as it is on the whole offensive mindset going on in Jetsland this year. Is it the crappy right side of the line?, is it because Brandon Moore has never healed up 100%?, Is Hunter REALLY that bad?, is it Brian Schottenheimer's playcalling and inability to adapt to where the pressure is coming from? is it all on Sanchez and his staring down one receiver all year? We just don't really know right now and WON'T until we GET a new RT and possibly RG a new offensive coordinator and a better and more helpful QB coach (which has gone overlooked by almost everyone assessing the Jets decline this year). We also need a better Plan 'B' at the QB position-having essentially another QB coach who nobody sees as an actual player anymore as your backup won't cut it in 2012. I also would like to see a better receiver's coach-Henry Ellard presided over a corps of malcontents all year and I feel was too much of a player's coach.

So the fact that Wayne Hunter leads the team in penalties is Sanchez' fault too?

Oh, and BTW, SoFla, Brandon Moore, even with his bad hip, hasn't allowed a single QB hit this season. Hunter leads the NFL in that category. Of course, that's all Sanchez' fault.

Can Rob Turner perhaps be our starting RT next season?

I've read so many threads indicating that the team was really hurt by the Turner injury. Hunter started over him at the end of 2010 because he was better then him.

He'll still be better then him in 2012.

They are both back up JAG's. Vlad looks like a a bust. They better have a new UFA at RT in 2012 or expect more of the same.

Oh, and BTW, SoFla, Brandon Moore, even with his bad hip, hasn't allowed a single QB hit this season. Hunter leads the NFL in that category. Of course, that's all Sanchez' fault.

Yea I know I saw that stat yesterday too. All I know is I have been watching Brandon Moore play RG on this team for years now and this was the worst I have seen from him sice he became the starter. Besides, if you're a defensive coordinator and you are drawing up a way to attack the Jets QB, who would YOU design it around, going through Brandon Moore or would you slide it over one slot to the left and attack Wayne Hunter and/or Vlad DuCasse and Matthew Mulligan? Yea, me too...

I've read so many threads indicating that the team was really hurt by the Turner injury. Hunter started over him at the end of 2010 because he was better then him.

He'll still be better then him in 2012.

They are both back up JAG's. Vlad looks like a a bust. They better have a new UFA at RT in 2012 or expect more of the same.

I think it's because Rob Turner is much more versatile than any of the other stiffs we have fg-he can play that extra tackle/TE position that they have TRIED to put Ducasse in this year. The O-line is a group of players that can usually play any other position on the line if need be-a guard can usually slide over to either the center or tackle position with the left tackle maybe being the one exception-you need your best lineman of the 4 there

Archived