Jets veteran says Santonio Holmes must go in 2012

Jetfan13

The Jets could be stuck with Santonio Holmes, who was shipped out by the Steelers one season after he was the Super Bowl MVP according to Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. He made $8.25 million in 2011. His $7.75 million base salary for 2012 is fully guaranteed. In 2013, $7.5 million of his $11 million base salary becomes guaranteed if he is on the roster Feb. 8 of this year. It becomes a tremendous waste of money if Holmes is cut and it also causes big salary cap problems. What makes it worse is the Jets were bidding against themselves.

There are going to be some unhappy players if he’s back. “His practice habits were terrible,” a source said. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“I don’t see how he can come back,” one respected Jets veteran said.

Is that the majority opinion in the locker room?

“Yes,” the veteran said.

Holmes’ antics have been going on all year but exploded in Miami when he pouted during the game, ignored Sanchez in the huddle and infuriated his teammates.

“Go home. Go to the sidelines,” one player yelled at him.

Holmes and the player began screaming at each other in the huddle. On the next series, tackle Wayne Hunter and Holmes got into it in the huddle. Soon after, Holmes was benched by Schottenheimer. Holmes then sulked on the bench. He alienated so many players in the locker room that the Jets have to get rid of him.

“He’s a cancer. It’s like dealing with a 10-year-old,” a Jets source said Monday.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be nice if one of these "respected Jets veterans" had the guts to put their names to one of these quotes, otherwise they should shut up. It's a locker room full of A-holes.

Put your name on it! Be a man. Or a woman.

Brandon Moore is a notorious "unnamed Jet." I'd imagine it's him.

Come to think of it...you might be right.....this whole thing just sucks...no Jets in the Playoffs, and we have a slapdick Giants team in there...Come On!!!!!

Getting him for a 5th round pick for the one season was not the problem. Investing a big contract was the issue.

Agree

The original deal was a good one. Nerver should have re-signed this guy.

I doubt it was Slauson he always has a lot to say, and is quoted. This is probably someone who is really disgusted, and seldom squaks to the press. Moore came out early in the season and slammed him.

My guess would be D-Brick, or Mangold

Let's be honest here--can you point to one thing I've said about this Jets team that didn't turn out to be 100% accurate?

This hasn't happened (yet)

snapback.pngMatt39, on 27 December 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

Plaxico wont be back next season.

Tannenbaum will overpay for him, beating an imaginary market. Guaranteed.

Getting him for a 5th round pick for the one season was not the problem. Investing a big contract was the issue.

Yup. I would surrender our 5th round pick every year for 1 year (or 12 games) of someone like Holmes. The problem wasn't getting him in the first place. The problem was locking us into him before he showed he was worthy.

It's confusing since they had Edwards in a similar situation and only signed on with him for 1 more year at his high RFA number. They knew enough to play wait & see with him for 1 year but didn't know enough to do that with Holmes. And if they couldn't have, then cut bait. Holmes is not Larry Fitzgerald and you don't let yourself get backed into a corner for someone like him.

Whatever. I was pretty sure the thoughts, from the PC, was that we're stuck with him but with the newer quotes coming out of the locker room (anonymous as most may be), now I'm not so sure. Barring the ability to find someone who, by some miracle, wants to take on Holmes's contract I'm now thinking it's actually possible they flat-out cut him. I still think they'll just continue to try to put on the best face possible and keep him for the next 2 years. But if there are 40+ guys returning who say it is an untenable situation with him there then that's different than just LT and Hunter (neither of whom will be instrumental to the team's success next year anyway) plus Brandon Moore.

I don't think many people on here complained when The Jets invested the $$$$$$ in Santonio Holmes after last season

None of us really knows what went on, but in Santonio's defense, he was rarely getting targeted by a woeful QB who at this point is a huge question mark.

On the other hand, Santonio has won a superbowl, and had a 1200 yard receiving season. This year was Tone's worst year statistically.

Most of you here want to blame the player. I, on the other hand blame the QB

Agree

The original deal was a good one. Nerver should have re-signed this guy.

I doubt it was Slauson he always has a lot to say, and is quoted. This is probably someone who is really disgusted, and seldom squaks to the press. Moore came out early in the season and slammed him.

My guess would be D-Brick, or Mangold

MAngold was his team mate in College. No way he said anything

But if there are 40+ guys returning who say it is an untenable situation with him there then that's different than just LT and Hunter (neither of whom will be instrumental to the team's success next year anyway) plus Brandon Moore.

I know you are no fan of Cotch but,

How bad, annoying, grating is Holmes that Cotchery was willing to take a million dollars less because he couldnt bare the thought of sitting in the wr meetings with him?

MAngold was his team mate in College. No way he said anything

Or maybe that's why he said something. He knows the guy really well.

I complained last year about giving a guy with 3 pot busts, and a crappy attitude 23 million guaranteed. That was insame.

Actually I don’t blame him for remaining anonymous. The discipline here is handed out very weirdly. Mike T came out and said on Kay's how yesterday, that the teams response to Scott’s giving a reporter the finger, for asking a very stupid question, would remain “in house”. Indicating there would be some discipline. In the mean time both he and Rex defended Holmes quitting on the team by talking about what a great player he was.

Go figure

I don't think many people on here complained when The Jets invested the $$$$$$ in Santonio Holmes after last season

None of us really knows what went on, but in Santonio's defense, he was rarely getting targeted by a woeful QB who at this point is a huge question mark.

On the other hand, Santonio has won a superbowl, and had a 1200 yard receiving season. This year was Tone's worst year statistically.

So then shouldnt Plax, Keller, Kerley all have acted the same way as Holmes?

Holmes attitude is all his own, cant blame anybody else for it.

I know you are no fan of Cotch but,

How bad, annoying, grating is Holmes that Cotchery was willing to take a million dollars less because he couldnt bare the thought of sitting in the wr meetings with him?

Cotchery said he couldn't stand sitting in the same WR meetings specifically with Holmes or specifically with WRs who the team felt were better, more talented, and more valuable football players?

What Cotchery couldn't stand was being passed over by any WR the Jets brought in from '09 to '10. He was insulted that he wasn't awarded a starting job and he didn't take any amount less than he'd have made on the Jets. The Jets were going to insist that he take a pay cut, since he wasn't going to be a starter again, which was a double insult to him. He asked to get out and the Jets obliged him.

The rest is Cotchery saying stuff after the fact to save face. What's he going to say, "The Jets thought I wasn't good enough to start and they're right."?

i guess all players don't just love playing for rex?

imo, this is up to rex to fix, he's supposed to be a players coach, how did he let this fester???

Agree. I think things will calm down, at least somewhat, over the next few months. Everyone's hot right after a season that ends badly.

His contract dictates he will be back.It was incredibly stupid to overpay him coming off a contract year.Sanchez and Holmes because of their contracts are here in 2012.The Jets would have to be insane to bring back the other offensive variable, Schitty. Schitty is the easiest and cheapest variable to change in this mess.Telling us on Monday wahat a great guy he was with the 27th best offense in a 32-team NFL was a joke.

But this is all the more reason why the PC was so pointless. Becoming clearer that Tannebaum and Ryan think we are all idiots and this is Podunk.That PC was an insult. We really don't need or want to know. We saw enough crap on the field to know they lied through their teeth. Best to keep their mouths shut.

I hate the Giants. But I cannot recall ever hearing Floyd Reese speak, and Coughlin says a bit above the Bellichickian NFL-mandated mimimum. The Jets had best begin to grasp the idea is to win football games, not be a media darling. And if the owenr thinks nonsense this helps him he can find someone to buy our 6 PSL seats in the 200 level.

Am I crazy? When I read that I see he is getting cut before the draft. Otherwise he is due $15M instead of $7.75M. Having him around one year to turn it around is a pretty big risk, but you can't gamble on 2 years of that kind of money. Of course it's Gary Meyers so it's all probably wrong.

It'd be nice if one of these "respected Jets veterans" had the guts to put their names to one of these quotes, otherwise they should shut up. It's a locker room full of A-holes.

Two different linemen told him to go **** himself ON THE FIELD. LT said this exact thing after the game. What more do we need?

We are again now going to hear a bunch of crap about "chemistry". Holmes was the same bad guy last year. But when you go to your 2nd straight AFC title game somehow all those "bad chemistry" stories don't seem to leak out. In fact I recall more than a few wonderful, heartwarming tories about how Holmes had become such a wonderful teammate and big contributor on a winning team. If Jim Leonhard makes a tackle in Denver, and Sanchez manages to hang onto the ball a bit more or the defense makes a few stops this team would've been in the playoffs. So please, enough with the "good character/chemistry" nonsense. Football teams are like any workplaces. There are a-holes, and not everyone loves everyone else. Chemistry is a BS excuse for a bad outcome. Otherwise you draft a bunch of boar hunters and Rhodes scholars.

What this team really lacks is speed. Since Leon Washington got hurt and left we have no one on offense like that. And perhaps Tannebaum can interrupt his busy media interview schedule to scout Jersey kids or players at his alma mater or both, like he DID NOT DO with Victor Cruz.

We are again now going to hear a bunch of crap about "chemistry". Holmes was the same bad guy last year. But when you go to your 2nd straight AFC title game somehow all those "bad chemistry" stories don't seem to leak out. In fact I recall more than a few wonderful, heartwarming tories about how Holmes had become such a wonderful teammate and big contributor on a winning team. If Jim Leonhard makes a tackle in Denver, and Sanchez manages to hang onto the ball a bit more or the defense makes a few stops this team would've been in the playoffs. So please, enough with the "good character/chemistry" nonsense. Football teams are like any workplaces. There are a-holes, and not everyone loves everyone else. Chemistry is a BS excuse for a bad outcome. Otherwise you draft a bunch of boar hunters and Rhodes scholars.

What this team really lacks is speed. Since Leon Washington got hurt and left we have no one on offense like that. And perhaps Tannebaum can interrupt his busy media interview schedule to scout Jersey kids or players at his alma mater or both, like he DID NOT DO with Victor Cruz.

heh, i don't think Tanny scouts anythings besides Woody's backside

ANd totally agree on the chemistry stuff, a few more wins and everyone is happy

Holmes with all his talent, and his Super Bowl MVP award, was kicked out of Pittsburgh.

I guess using your logic they should have gotten rid of Big Ben. It was more then just the pot busts, or they would have kept him till his contract was up.

The teams that are consistently in the playoffs, and Super Bowl hunt get rid of locker room cancers no matter the costs.

We have a good idea what went on here. It’s not only the press, and fanss that he’s having trouble with it’s the players

how did he let this fester???

He allowed this to fester by not realizing that by being someone's best friend, is also to be a critic in order to make them better.

Rex can't do that.

he is the manager of a department that brings pizza to the employees every day for lunch, and thinks that makes him a good leader

He allowed this to fester by not realizing that by being someone's best friend, is also to be a critic in order to make them better.

Rex can't do that.

he is the manager of a department that brings pizza to the employees every day for lunch, and thinks that makes him a good leader

lol... probably some truth to that last statement

Archived