Greg Mccelroy trashes the Jets

Matt39

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not what he said.

I've never seen a fan base so worried about what other people think of their team. Especially considering we've sucked for how long? Who gives a **** what some talking head who gets paid to stir up controversy says about your team. They know no more than you or I.

This place cracks me up with their Fancesca venom, waiting on pins and needles for Rex to speak at a presser, waiting to hear what Namath says...I could give a sh*t. When people tell me the Jets suck - I say tell me something I dont know. lol

I've never seen a fan base so worried about what other people think of their team. Especially considering we've sucked for how long? Who gives a **** what some talking head who gets paid to stir up controversy says about your team. They know no more than you or I.

This place cracks me up with their Fancesca venom, waiting on pins and needles for Rex to speak at a presser, waiting to hear what Namath says...I could give a sh*t. When people tell me the Jets suck - I say tell me something I dont know. lol

I love Francesa, he's hysterical. But he was just speaking on what Mccelroy said. That's what was passed along to me- if it was incorrect my bad.

But what did Mccelroy actually say?

It was not Fatcessa who said it was Mcelroy (sp sorry). He is in the locker room every day you have to take what he says at face value. just listen to the interview.

Well I guess my buddies lied to me. What were his exact words?

They heard it through Francesa

They're not far off, but he didn't carpet-bomb the whole team, he called out "selfish individuals" and "certain guys" who cared about their own stats more than they cared about winning. That said, he did use the word "corrupt" to refer to the locker room atmosphere. Could be nothing more than imprecision of language, but if it was a considered choice it sure sounds a hell of a lot like a shot at Rex.

I love Francesa, he's hysterical. But he was just speaking on what Mccelroy said. That's what was passed along to me- if it was incorrect my bad.

But what did Mccelroy actually say?

It was not Fatcessa who said it was Mcelroy (sp sorry). He is in the locker room every day you have to take what he says at face value. just listen to the interview.

My bad. I didnt realize who this was at first. lol. Thought it was just another talking head radio personality that everyone clings to their every word. Didnt realize this was a player.

I'm curious to hear his opinion as well.

Rookie QB Greg McElroy says there was a 'corrupt mindset' in Jets locker room with 'extremely selfish individuals' this season

BY MANISH MEHTA

Two days after Rex Ryan admitted that he didn’t have his finger on the pulse of the Jets this season, rookie quarterback Greg McElroy revealed a toxic attitude that permeated the lockerroom.

“It’s definitely not a fun place to be,” McElroy told an Alabama radio station on Wednesday. “I can assure you.”

McElroy, who was placed on Injured Reserve due to a thumb injury, reiterated the vibe that several players talked about on Monday.

“It’s the first time I’ve ever been around extremely selfish individuals,” said McElroy, who was a seventh round pick out of Alabama. “I think that’s maybe the nature of the NFL. But there were people within our lockerroom that didn’t care whether we won or loss… as long as they got their… they really had a good game individually. And that’s the disappointing thing."

"It’s going to take a lot to kind of come together next year," he added. "I think the fact that we struggled at times this year really led to a really corrupt mindset within the lockerroom. But I think we’re going to regroup and I know that we’ll be a better team because of the trials and tribulations this year.”

On Monday, one player told the Daily News that “this place is a zoo.”

Bickering between Santonio Holmes and several teammates in Sunday’s season-ending loss to the Dolphins took center stage as the Jets missed the playoffs for the first time since Rex Ryan took over in 2009.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

I’d say for a 3 rd string QB he was trashing, at least telling the truth

“First time in my life I’ve been around such selfish people”

“No reason we shouldn’t have made a Super Bowl run.” “Some people refused to buy in, we’ll see if their still on the team next year?”

Loves Schotty: “Thought he did a great job. He was put in a bad situation. Team (read Rex here) has to decide what type offense we will be.”

Pretty balsy statements for a 7th round pick

Love this kid and really think the Jets have found an excellent back up. I hate Bama and still feel that way

I will say this makes Sanchez look bad.. a rookie who was on friggin IR just put his name to it while Mark is too afraid to upset anyone.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do it takes some balls and I applaud him. I thought he was showing some heart in the pre season before getting hurt. He took a beating in a couple games and got up and continued to make plays.

They're not far off, but he didn't carpet-bomb the whole team, he called out "selfish individuals" and "certain guys" who cared about their own stats more than they cared about winning. That said, he did use the word "corrupt" to refer to the locker room atmosphere. Could be nothing more than imprecision of language, but if it was a considered choice it sure sounds a hell of a lot like a shot at Rex.

Did you listen to the interview? He talked up Rex (and even Schotty) big time. He said he loves playing for Rex, and said when Rex talks up his players it's intended to help boost their confidence.

Listen to the interview. What he actually said is quite different than what people on here are "quoting" from the interview.

My bad. I didnt realize who this was at first. lol. Thought it was just another talking head radio personality that everyone clings to their every word. Didnt realize this was a player.

I'm curious to hear his opinion as well.

Jif I know you have seen this kid play a lot. He is going to be a good player. I'm glad he didn't take the PC route, spoke the truth, and put hisname to it.

That's what a leader does, Sanchez should listen to this interview

Did you listen to the interview? He talked up Rex (and even Schotty) big time. He said he loves playing for Rex, and said when Rex talks up his players it's intended to help boost their confidence.

Listen to the interview. What he actually said is quite different than what people on here are "quoting" from the interview.

I only heard the excerpt Francesa played. Not surprising he'd cull the most damning portions.

Shut up. You live in the panhandle.

Best as I can figure, he couldn't have been referring to anyone other than Holmes and Plax. He says more than 1, I'm at a loss as to who that would be.

Sanchez does not strike me as a guy that cares about stats more than wins. Greene? He didn't get that many carries and yet you never heard a story about him whining, you never saw him act upset. L.T. is definitely not "that guy." Obviously, O-linemen are pretty much exempt from that category. Kerley strikes me as a team player.

Keller? Eh, I dunno. I kinda doubt it was Keller, too. I think he's actually developing into a leader of sorts, and he was the one that basically held Santonio back which was to me a sign of "buying in."

Frankly, I can't think of anyone else who this would apply to other than Holmes and POSSIBLY Plax (though Plax has been on good behavior in public for the most part.)

Did he mean someone on defense? I don't think the d-line gives a damn about stats at all. I dunno...

Jif I know you have seen this kid play a lot. He is going to be a good player. I'm glad he didn't take the PC route, spoke the truth, and put hisname to it.

That's what a leader does, Sanchez should listen to this interview

Meh, he's Pennington part 2. All intangibles, no physical skills. I agree though, Sanchez could learn something from this kid.

You know what I find interesting? Maybin's interview I heard on Jim Rome is completely the opposite of everything we are hearing now. He said, that during the early 3 game skid, that spirits remained high and that Rex kept everyone together. He said it was a really impressive environment with great leaders and nobody ever felt out of it. Obviously he could be looking for a contract but I find that interesting.

Shut up. You live in the panhandle.

I live in a city that has a NFL team and their radio station is the flag ship station for the Florida Gators. And I dont listen to any of it becaue they are morons that dont know sh*t, just like you.

You know what I find interesting? Maybin's interview I heard on Jim Rome is completely the opposite of everything we are hearing now. He said, that during the early 3 game skid, that spirits remained high and that Rex kept everyone together. He said it was a really impressive environment with great leaders and nobody ever felt out of it. Obviously he could be looking for a contract but I find that interesting.

Well, the offense and defense can be kind of segregated, and there aren't nearly as many character issue guys on the defense, heck even the guy you would think would be the biggest character issue (Cro) was verbal in calling out the BS with some of the offense. Maybe the perspective is different, or was different, on the defensive side. No mercs there and ya gotta think guys like leonard, scott, and revis would hold it down on their side of the ball, leaders that we sadly do not have on the offensive side.

Best as I can figure, he couldn't have been referring to anyone other than Holmes and Plax. He says more than 1, I'm at a loss as to who that would be.

Sanchez does not strike me as a guy that cares about stats more than wins. Greene? He didn't get that many carries and yet you never heard a story about him whining, you never saw him act upset. L.T. is definitely not "that guy." Obviously, O-linemen are pretty much exempt from that category. Kerley strikes me as a team player.

Keller? Eh, I dunno. I kinda doubt it was Keller, too. I think he's actually developing into a leader of sorts, and he was the one that basically held Santonio back which was to me a sign of "buying in."

Frankly, I can't think of anyone else who this would apply to other than Holmes and POSSIBLY Plax (though Plax has been on good behavior in public for the most part.)

Did he mean someone on defense? I don't think the d-line gives a damn about stats at all. I dunno...

BINGO

Think you got a bullseye. He did say they, and I'm sure it's Holmes, and more then likely Plax

Meh, he's Pennington part 2. All intangibles, no physical skills. I agree though, Sanchez could learn something from this kid.

I live in a city that has a NFL team and their radio station is the flag ship station for the Florida Gators. And I dont listen to any of it becaue they are morons that dont know sh*t, just like you.

I agree he is a Pennington clone. Difference is Pennington was a 1st round pick, and the heir apparent. This guy is a 7th rounder, and as I said eariler is going to be a great BACK UP.

Find it a bit strange that you don't think chemistry, leadership, and intangibles matter, but think Tebow is a great QB. I actually like Tebow, and think he is going to be in the league for 10-12 years, but what else does he have?

I will say this makes Sanchez look bad.. a rookie who was on friggin IR just put his name to it while Mark is too afraid to upset anyone.

Whether or not it was the right thing to do it takes some balls and I applaud him. I thought he was showing some heart in the pre season before getting hurt. He took a beating in a couple games and got up and continued to make plays.

Now THAT'S what a true leader sounds like-too bad he'll never get a chance to sniff the turf unless it's in meaningless pre-season games. Mark Sanchez could take some lessons from this kid

I agree he is a Pennington clone. Difference is Pennington was a 1st round pick, and the heir apparent. This guy is a 7th rounder, and as I said eariler is going to be a great BACK UP.

Find it a bit strange that you don't think chemistry, leadership, and intangibles matter, but think Tebow is a great QB. I actually like Tebow, and think he is going to be in the league for 10-12 years, but what else does he have?

When it comes to McElroy, it's not only what you said (although you are absolutely right about all of that), but also the fact that as one of Pennington's biggest haters I can say that, as much as his physical skills were part of the problem, his cowardly play and being the least-clutch QB in NFL history were far bigger issues. Combine that with being insanely injury prone (and we won't even get into the debate of him as a teammate) and suddenly arm strength isn't exactly enough to compare McElroy to him.

Archived