Report: Colts have already decided on Andrew Luck

F.Chowds

It's not shocking news, except perhaps that it comes so early. ESPN's Chris Mortensen says that the Indianapolis Colts have already decided to draft Andrew Luck first overall in the 2012 NFL draft.

Tony Dungy noted on Saturday afternoon that Bill Polian, who was the Colts' general manager before being fired on Monday, had been studying a lot of film on Robert Griffin III, the Heisman-winning quarterback out of Baylor. With Polian gone, though, Dungy said that Irsay was likely to draft Luck.

The other option would be to trade the pick, with some reports out there that it could net the Coltsthree first-round draft picks and two second-rounders. Mort says that's not an option anymore, either.

The Colts have been down the "Which QB will they take?" road before. Back in 1998 when they drafted Peyton Manning, speculation continued right up until draft time on whether or not they'd take Manning or Ryan Leaf. The media scrutiny of today probably makes keeping a secret like that impossible, though. The days of the first overall draft pick being a surprise are over.

As for Andrew, he spent his day hanging out with his dad (West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck

Manning isn't going to go free. They'll keep Luck and 2 and let him learn from the Master, just like Rodgers with Favre. Why rush?

it's not comparable.. Rodgers slid to 22 or whatever and was much more of a project, Luck is more pro ready then our QB... plus, the colts won't want to get stuck between build for future and win now modes. If they keep Manning and try and load up for 1 more run, you're sabotaging Luck in the future...

Manning isn't going to go free. They'll keep Luck and 2 and let him learn from the Master, just like Rodgers with Favre. Why rush?

A 28 million dollar bonus that is due in March.

I think if the cap boost due to TV money in 2014 was next year, Manning might retire a Colt.

However, 28 million is going to bump Manning's cap hit even higher while also committing to Luck all the while trying to stay competitve and/or rebuild.

The Colts can be mired in mediocrisy for years to come. It is not like they were great in 2010.

I still say Miami. Dungy or Fisher. Bring Reggie along and you have a hell of head start to the Superbowl.

I nearly throw up in my mouth when discussing the possibility of this.

I still say he comes to the Jets, I think he'll want the big stage, I think he'd love to play in the same division as Brady, Rex loves him and I think Woody/Tanny will want to make a splash after the way this year ended

Manning is going to come free, but where will he play?

Charlie Casserlie said Arizona makes sense, I still think we have to be near the top

Why the F would Manning want to play for a dysfunctional clown college like the Jets? Because he likes Patrick Turner?

I still say he comes to the Jets, I think he'll want the big stage, I think he'd love to play in the same division as Brady, Rex loves him and I think Woody/Tanny will want to make a splash after the way this year ended

Lolol Archie wouldn't let Eli go to San Diego because he thought AJ Smith was a low-rent jackass. You really think that family wants any part of Rex and Tanny's pirate funhouse? Come on now.

So does San Francisco, except that one's better. The Dolphins will be very good defensively and they already have better offensive personnel. Arizona and Fitzgerald? Come on.

the joy you seem to derive in squashing peoples hopes is disturbing.

So does San Francisco, except that one's better. The Dolphins will be very good defensively and they already have better offensive personnel. Arizona and Fitzgerald? Come on.

Sf's defense isn't better.... Miami's a possibility, but think NY is a bigger draw.. Arizona's a possibility too..

I think you undersell the opportunity here greatly, plus I think the Jets will make the strongest push

Sf's defense isn't better.... Miami's a possibility, but think NY is a bigger draw.. Arizona's a possibility too..

I think you undersell the opportunity here greatly, plus I think the Jets will make the strongest push

So will the Redskins. They won't get him either.

You think the Colts will deal in conference? No way.

SFs is alot better. They held teams to nearly 30% below their average this season, just behind what the Jets did in 2009. The Jets were about average this year. There is usually no carryover year to year so it doesnt mean anything but they blew the Jets away this year. The team that should make a move for him is Baltimore once they lose in this years playoffs. That team has missed out so may times because of the QB situation and for whatever reason they are one of the few teams that consistently has a pretty good defense.

SFs is alot better. They held teams to nearly 30% below their average this season, just behind what the Jets did in 2009. The Jets were about average this year. There is usually no carryover year to year so it doesnt mean anything but they blew the Jets away this year. The team that should make a move for him is Baltimore once they lose in this years playoffs. That team has missed out so may times because of the QB situation and for whatever reason they are one of the few teams that consistently has a pretty good defense.

No.

I'm only somewhat familiar with your methodolgy, but I know it's nowhere near as sophisticated as FO, who has us above SF. The jets offense was terrible and gave up many points on it's own this season. Even looking at something as simple as drive stats shows us better then SF, we gave up 24.78 yards per drive, just behind Baltimore at 24.62... SF was 7 at 26.41

Lolol Archie wouldn't let Eli go to San Diego because he thought AJ Smith was a low-rent jackass. You really think that family wants any part of Rex and Tanny's pirate funhouse? Come on now.

Archie's handling of a 22-year old, fragile Eli has no bearing on any advice he may offer to a 34-year old man.

Archived