flgreen

Update on coaching rumors

January, 8, 2012

Jan 8

4:19

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The coaching carousel continues to spin:

1. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday that former NFL coach Marty Schottenheimer is in the mix for the Bucs' head-coaching vacancy. Three other former head coaches, Brad Childress, Mike Sherman and Wade Phillips, also are reportedly in play. How does this affect the Jets? If Schottenheimer landed the job, you'd think he'd want his son, Brian, to run his offense.

2. Contrary to reports, Brian Schottenheimer hasn't withdrawn as a candidate for the Florida coordinator position, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

3. The Jaguars are said to be very interested in Falcons coordinator Mike Mularkey for their HC opening, but the Falcons' no-show against the Giants isn't going to help his chances. Maybe that gives Schottenheimer a boost; he interviewed with the Jaguars on Friday.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only in my world do the Jets finally rid themselvse of Schotty only because he was hired by my Alma Mater.

These rumors surprise me though...who leaves the NFL as coordinator to take a coordinator job in college?...other than Charlie Weiss.

Only in my world do the Jets finally rid themselvse of Schotty only because he was hired by my Alma Mater.

These rumors surprise me though...who leaves the NFL as coordinator to take a coordinator job in college?...other than Charlie Weiss.

JiF I really think its because the Jets are NOT bringing him back and he knows it. He'll make that move because it will be his only other option for a job. Reading between the lines of all this crap with Mike T and Rex constantly talking about his interview with Jax and Rex saying 50/50 chance he's back, not withdrawing from Florida OC job...it just all points to him being gone.

JiF I really think its because the Jets are NOT bringing him back and he knows it. He'll make that move because it will be his only other option for a job. Reading between the lines of all this crap with Mike T and Rex constantly talking about his interview with Jax and Rex saying 50/50 chance he's back, not withdrawing from Florida OC job...it just all points to him being gone.

I've thought about this scenario. They always say, its easier finding a job when you have one then it is when you dont. Probably why they havent given him the axe. They are probably trying to boost him up to help him find something else and try to look like the good guys who havent used the OC as the sacrificial lamb...but, part of thinks that they really believe that retaining him is the best thing for Suckez.

This. Sounds like Schotty is a guy who knows he needs to find himself a new job. Since Rex has such a hard-on for that dipsh*t, my guess is they already sat down and had a talk about it and the Jets told him they would wait until he found himself a new job and then let him out of his contract as opposed to firing him. Not withdrawing from the Florida job I think really speaks volumes.

But Weiss took the HC job at Notre Dame. Did he recently take an OC job in college?

I've thought about this scenario. They always say, its easier finding a job when you have one then it is when you dont. Probably why they havent given him the axe. They are probably trying to boost him up to help him find something else and try to look like the good guys who havent used the OC as the sacrificial lamb...but, part of thinks that they really believe that retaining him is the best thing for Suckez.

If they actually think that...good god. We're in trouble. That is the worst thing that can happen for Sanchez. If you watch the Broncos last night the play designs are so much better than ours its ridiculous. Tebow played well but look how opened they got their WR. Why is it that we NEVER get that opened. Schottys play designs are awful and until I see Sanchez under a competent play designer I just can't throw in the towel on him.

This. Sounds like Schotty is a guy who knows he needs to find himself a new job. Since Rex has such a hard-on for that dipsh*t, my guess is they already sat down and had a talk about it and the Jets told him they would wait until he found himself a new job and then let him out of his contract as opposed to firing him. Not withdrawing from the Florida job I think really speaks volumes.

I think it is telling too! Best news I have seen today haha

If they actually think that...good god. We're in trouble. That is the worst thing that can happen for Sanchez. If you watch the Broncos last night the play designs are so much better than ours its ridiculous. Tebow played well but look how opened they got their WR. Why is it that we NEVER get that opened. Schottys play designs are awful and until I see Sanchez under a competent play designer I just can't throw in the towel on him.

Meh, if you watched that game last night...the Broncos were running the simplest game plan EVER!!! The Steelers just got eaten up. The last play is the perfect example. 1st down play action and they sold out for the run. By the time the ball was snapped, both safeties had creeped up 5 yards in anticipation for the run. Thomas, was the only WR on the play. You can see Polamalu literally stop, turn around and run full sprint to try to catch up to the play once he realized it was a play fake. Tebow sold it well and delivered a perfect strike in stride that allowed for the long run after the catch.

I've seen this very site bitch and moan about a similar play call. For example: the INT that Sanchez threw to Holmes was literally the same design but Sanchez doesnt know how to throw a receiver open and lead them for YAC. Same exact play call, safeties didnt bite as much and but our QB is really bad...that play was there with a the proper throw.

Meh, if you watched that game last night...the Broncos were running the simplest game plan EVER!!! The Steelers just got eaten up. The last play is the perfect example. 1st down play action and they sold out for the run. By the time the ball was snapped, both safeties had creeped up 5 yards in anticipation for the run. Thomas, was the only WR on the play. You can see Polamalu literally stop, turn around and run full sprint to try to catch up to the play once he realized it was a play fake. Tebow sold it well and delivered a perfect strike in stride that allowed for the long run after the catch.

I've seen this very site bitch and moan about a similar play call. For example: the INT that Sanchez threw to Holmes was literally the same design but Sanchez doesnt know how to throw a receiver open and lead them for YAC. Same exact play call, safeties didnt bite as much and but our QB is really bad...that play was there with a the proper throw.

I'm convinced that if Ryan Clark out there, this wouldn't have happened. Polamalu likes playing up in the box looking for big hits over the middle or to stop the run, while Clark plays like a true safety. The Steelers didn't seem to adjust their gameplan to account for not having a QB-of-the-defense type back there, and Ike Taylor got abused on an island against speedy receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eddie Royal all day long.

Not to mention, no Maurkice Pouncey = that high snap fumble to kill Pittsburgh's drive at the end of the 1st half.

New England won't be so generous on Saturday.

Exactly, they are letting him find another job to save face. Then he wasn't fired, dudes a goner

Someone that has a handshake agreement with his current employer to leave for whatever job he can find, in exchange for not being fired.

haha.. come on... Play designs are better, lmao..

Broncos are one of the few offenses that have been more inept then us

I'm convinced that if Ryan Clark out there, this wouldn't have happened. Polamalu likes playing up in the box looking for big hits over the middle or to stop the run, while Clark plays like a true safety. The Steelers didn't seem to adjust their gameplan to account for not having a QB-of-the-defense type back there, and Ike Taylor got abused on an island against speedy receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eddie Royal all day long.

Not to mention, no Maurkice Pouncey = that high snap fumble to kill Pittsburgh's drive at the end of the 1st half.

New England won't be so generous on Saturday.

Injuries play a huge part...but thats why I picked the Broncos to win that game. Big Ben cant be Big Ben with that injury. Troy P. is way overrated IMO - if he didnt have a funky name with crazy hair and make an incredible play here and there...he'd be a run of the mill player. He gets burned a lot.

Either way, the Broncos had a great game plan. They really roped in the Steelers. Stayed the course in the first quarter, run run pass...but then in the 2nd, they let the kid play. Actually throwing on 1st and 2nd instead of only throwing on 3rd and long and they baited them with big sets, double TE's and play action. I dont think I saw more than 3 WR's on the field at one time the whole game.

Dont be so sure that the Pats are going to roll them. Steelers were suppossed to as well. They can afford to sell out for the run (typically), Patriots cant.

Exactly. This is the best I've ever felt about the possibility of Schotty really being gone.

I told you during the presser.. Sanchez too.. As soon as coaches start saying "he's under contract" as a rational for a guy keeping his job, there's trouble

haha.. come on... Play designs are better, lmao..

Broncos are one of the few offenses that have been more inept then us

Maybe I should have worded that differently...they're play designs are better fir what they have. They made adjustments and played to their strengths. Schotty doesn't do that.

Injuries play a huge part...but thats why I picked the Broncos to win that game. Big Ben cant be Big Ben with that injury. Troy P. is way overrated IMO - if he didnt have a funky name with crazy hair and make an incredible play here and there...he'd be a run of the mill player. He gets burned a lot.

Either way, the Broncos had a great game plan. They really roped in the Steelers. Stayed the course in the first quarter, run run pass...but then in the 2nd, they let the kid play. Actually throwing on 1st and 2nd instead of only throwing on 3rd and long and they baited them with big sets, double TE's and play action. I dont think I saw more than 3 WR's on the field at one time the whole game.

Dont be so sure that the Pats are going to roll them. Steelers were suppossed to as well. They can afford to sell out for the run (typically), Patriots cant.

Come on, Tebow made some beautiful throws last night.. Perfect actually, I didn't think it was possible

Someone that has a handshake agreement with his current employer to leave for whatever job he can find, in exchange for not being fired.

Sure...but he's an NFL coach. I think he's only spent like a total of 2 years in the college ranks. His daddy was an NFL coach. Just dont see him going to the NCAA. It all but kills any chance he has at being an NFL HC.

I told you during the presser.. Sanchez too.. As soon as coaches start saying "he's under contract" as a rational for a guy keeping his job, there's trouble

Pipe dream. Sanchez is going nowhere. He gets at least another year with different OC.

The Patriots don't have an injured Brady, aren't missing their center, safety, and starting RB, etc. And without Brian Dawkins, there's no just no way the Broncos can handle the two New England TE's. Both Gronk and Hernandez are vastly better than Heath Miller, and Heath had a pretty good game himself (5 catches, 60 yards).

The Broncos had to play pretty much a perfect game just to beat the banged up Steelers at home in overtime. Do you really think they can play another perfect game? The only way they do so is by hitting Brady repeatedly with their talented front 7, something they couldn't do the last time they played NE back on 12/18 (a 41-23 NE win in Denver).

Maybe I should have worded that differently...they're play designs are better fir what they have. They made adjustments and played to their strengths. Schotty doesn't do that.

Again, then why were they worse then us all year?

Last night Tebow made some throws that nobody thought he was capable of, I was shocked. Even the few big throws he had made earlier in the year were too wide open receivers. Last night Pitts always had a defender on them and Tebow just put the ball exactly where it had to be.

Def agree the steelers missed Clark and Hampton and Kiesel, but Tebow played by far his best game as a pro and shocked me

Come on, Tebow made some beautiful throws last night.. Perfect actually, I didn't think it was possible

So? Whats your point?

They made the game easier for him. All season long he'd been only asked to throw on the hardest down, 3rd and long situations. They've been running it on 3rd and short. They finally let him throw on easier downs, had the protection and made the throws. Tebow can throw when you give him time to let him wind up or whens he's creating on the run. He's the most efficient passer in the history of the SEC but its hard to pass at the NFL level when the only time you are doing it is 3rd and long. I'm not shocked at all.

Oh, I know, and I even agreed with you at the time. I just can't help but to be endlessly pessimistic about this team when it comes to things like this, so there was a part of me that was still worried that somehow he would still end up being here, but the evidence keeps on mounting. I really was starting to be convinced that come next season all of Schotty, Sanchez and Holmes would be employed / starters and we would ultimately be just one year removed from yet another rebuilding project.

Pats can and will score though. I bet Beli keeps everything in front of them, lets them run it a bit, holds them to a FG or two, maybe another drive is derailed by a penalty, and before you know it, it's 21-6 and tebow HAS to throw and starts throwing picks

Sure...but he's an NFL coach. I think he's only spent like a total of 2 years in the college ranks. His daddy was an NFL coach. Just dont see him going to the NCAA. It all but kills any chance he has at being an NFL HC.

He's a young guy.

He goes down to college and has success for the next 5 years, and I guarantee he's right back at the NFL level. This is what mediocre, young coaches do... they go back and forth to build their resume.

Whatever, I don't care what happens to his career... just want him gone.

So? Whats your point?

They made the game easier for him. All season long he'd been only asked to throw on the hardest down, 3rd and long situations. They've been running it on 3rd and short. They finally let him throw on easier downs, had the protection and made the throws. Tebow can throw when you give him time to let him wind up or whens he's creating on the run. He's the most efficient passer in the history of the SEC but its hard to pass at the NFL level when the only time you are doing it is 3rd and long. I'm not shocked at all.

Tebow normally looks how I'd imagine Manning would look throwing with his left hand. He throws wounded ducks all the time. Guys is not a good passer, numerous times last night when throwing short he missed by a solid 5 yards. He just had 6=8 great passes in him last night. THe pass to Royal was placed perfectly, I doubt Tebow could do that again if you gave him 20 tries

The Patriots don't have an injured Brady, aren't missing their center, safety, and starting RB, etc. And without Brian Dawkins, there's no just no way the Broncos can handle the two New England TE's. Both Gronk and Hernandez are vastly better than Heath Miller, and Heath had a pretty good game himself (5 catches, 60 yards).

The Broncos had to play pretty much a perfect game just to beat the banged up Steelers at home in overtime. Do you really think they can play another perfect game? The only way they do so is by hitting Brady repeatedly with their talented front 7, something they couldn't do the last time they played NE back on 12/18 (a 41-23 NE win in Denver).

Then you dont remember that game. Denver was controlling the game, jumped out to a 16-7 lead, then turned the ball over on like 3 straigh possession basically handing the Pats the game. They scored 20 pts in the 2nd and it was too much even with the Broncos pretty much keeping them at bay for the 2nd (scored 14, and 7 was off a turnover).

Keep Brady off the field and when he's on it..get after him and they have a shot.

Archived