Some college football news

faba

For Brodie Croyle fans!!!

I believe in this kid and hope he ends up going to a great franchise, not this one.. i said great!

Croyle not injured but `beat up'

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

STEVE KIRK

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - Alabama quarterback Brodie Croyle is not injured, but he did play while "severely beat up" during the final weeks of the Crimson Tide's regular season, his father, John Croyle, said Monday.

John Croyle was responding to questions about his son's health following 11 sacks during Alabama's 28-18 loss to Auburn on Nov. 20.

After the game, Alabama's all-time passing leader paused when asked if he was playing hurt: "No," he said. "Just every day bumps and bruises, nothing big."

He was sacked 26 times and hit countless others during Alabama's final five Southeastern Conference games, in which he led the offense to only three touchdowns. Freshman backup John Parker Wilson directed the only other TD drive late in the Auburn game.

As Alabama's offensive line's protection broke down during the second half of the season, so did the fifth-year senior's effectiveness. He posted his three lowest efficiency ratings of the season - the only three less than 100 - in the final three weeks against Mississippi State, LSU and Auburn.

It's Tide coach Mike Shula's job to figure out how to improve his line's protection between now and a likely Jan. 2 bowl game. Shula said Monday that his 14th-ranked Tide (9-2) would hold a practice Saturday, then likely take a week off before resuming daily practices Dec. 10.

Either way, the bowl game will be one more tough day for his parents to endure.

"Literally, we pray between every play - his mom (Teresa) and I do - and just ask God to be merciful and let him get up," John Croyle said. "When he gets really hammered, his mom just buries her head in my shoulder and screams, `Is he up?' I'll say, `Yes, he's up.' That's our concern: Get up. His whole focus is, you never lay down. That's why he gets up (quickly)."

Brodie, in his role as team captain, has not publicly criticized his offensive line, consistently saying that those players needed to play well and improve their game.

"I've just admired the way he's played in these tough times," John said. "And hopefully he'll get a chance to move on to the next level, which we're hearing he is, and get to play not being handcuffed. Because, Coach Shula inherited a mess. These seniors have really, really shined and proven their mental toughness. It's one thing to be physically tough. It's a totally different animal to be mentally tough."

Still, a chance remains for Croyle and the other seniors to end on a positive note. Alabama expects to receive a Cotton Bowl invitation Sunday - likely to play Texas Tech (9-2) - barring a Georgia victory over LSU in Saturday's SEC Championship Game doesn't make the Dallas-based bowl rethink its position.

Croyle, who suffered knee injuries as a high school senior and college junior, didn't get to play in last year's Music City Bowl loss to Minnesota while recuperating from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"I'm going to have fun," Croyle said. "This is the first bowl game I'll have played in. I'm going to enjoy it. Bowl games are a reward for all the hard work you did during the season. But we know we've got to handle our business. We're representing our team and the SEC."

Croyle is in better spirits than immediately after the Auburn game. He now looks on the positive side of a 9-2 record that assured the program of at least a three-game improvement over 2004.

"When you sit back and look at it," Croyle said, "we're 9-2. We had everybody talking about a national championship and playing in a Rose Bowl (when the team was 9-0). We lost to the No. 3 team in the country (LSU) in overtime and played one bad quarter against Auburn. If you look past the one quarter, we won the game 18-7.

"But (Auburn) got on us in a hurry and we never recovered. We never rebounded. But we're proud of what we've done. We're proud we got Alabama back in the same breath with some of the prominent teams in the country."

As for the program after he leaves, the senior was realistic.

"We've got a long way to go," he said. "We've got to get more depth. When we do, Alabama's going to be back. We're taking steps."

E-mail: skirk@bhamnews.com

afosomf, did your boy Brodie get dissed by the Senior Bowl?

We confirmed last week that D.J Shockley and Cutler were added to the roster....Today Darrell Hackney was added...

That's 3 QB's from the South -- all that's needed.

By the way, if Shockley was added over Broyle, that's a complete joke [-X

We confirmed last week that D.J Shockley and Cutler were added to the roster....Today Darrell Hackney was added...

This game is played in Mobile.. correct

I would bet that Croyle plays, he has to? Is Shockley a Senior

Shockley is a senior--have to be senior to play in that game (East-West and Hula take juniors).....One Northern QB named is Kellen Clemens, but he could miss the game with a leg injury...

I assume a spot is being left for Leinart, who wont risk injury and won't play.

Brodie belongs there, for sure.

Shockley is a senior--have to be senior to play in that game (East-West and Hula take juniors).....One Northern QB named is Kellen Clemens, but he could miss the game with a leg injury...

I assume a spot is being left for Leinart, who wont risk injury and won't play.

Brodie belongs there, for sure.

The Senior Bowl always has a bunch of Bama and Awbun

Players, if anything just to sell tickets.

I am 99.9% sure brodie will be there if healthy. He has taken a beating.

This is surprising they would not invite the local Bama guy to the game. Shockley also missed a couple of games this year I think.

The North QB's possibly the guy from Fresno St R44 Pinegar?

Archived