• Janet McTeer in "Albert Nobbs"
  • Octavia Spencer in "The Help"

Directing

• "The Artist" Michel Hazanavicius
  • "The Descendants" Alexander Payne
  • "Hugo" Martin Scorsese
  • "Midnight in Paris" Woody Allen
  • "The Tree of Life" Terrence Malick

The Tree of Life is in the top five worst movies I have ever seen. The flick belongs in an art museum, not a movie theater.

Did not see it but heard just the same.

And how does Tin Tin not get a nod for best animated film -- came out in December so it should have been eligible

But Rango was a great animated film as well and should win.

The Tree of Life is in the top five worst movies I have ever seen. The flick belongs in an art museum, not a movie theater.

Agree. I HATED that flick. I think a bunch of Hollywood types were smokin dope and said 'this would be cool'. Then some assclown greenlit it

Can someone explain to me wtf was so good about MoneyBall? Don't get me wrong...it was cool that they got the point across really well...beyond that I thought it was pretty flimsy as a movie..plus that little girl sang the same sh*tty song poorly twice.

I thought it started strong and then after a bit I said 'Oh OK, I get it, baseball by numbers'. I thought 2nd half of flick dragged

• 4 weeks later...

Agree. I HATED that flick. I think a bunch of Hollywood types were smokin dope and said 'this would be cool'. Then some assclown greenlit it

I just watched this last night and am soooo glad to see others hated it too. I try to watch any movie with a metacritic score of 75+..but this thing was miserable. It's hard to say exactly why, because it does have some 'pretty' moments and good cinematography. I've decided it's because the movie isn't a movie at all. It's a slideshow.

-whisper gibberish and show us a candle

-pretty planets

-dinosaurs

-sean penn standing around hung over in a suit.

-crying lady

-mean dad

-boys throwing rocks

-more wispering gibberish

...then repeat the last 5 slides for TWO HOURS

I actually wound up seeing Tree of Life twice (once with friends, despite my warnings, and the other as part of the best picture showcase AMC does), and honestly its the first and last half hour that ruin the film for me, easily some of the most pretentious dreck I've ever seen. But the middle part with the boys I actually kind of enjoyed, nothing phenomenal but decent.

This year's Oscars are a sham though, only 9 best picture nominees and movies like 50/50, Drive, and Warrior (among others) ignored for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close..sad

A real down year for movies in general

Can someone explain to me wtf was so good about MoneyBall? Don't get me wrong...it was cool that they got the point across really well...beyond that I thought it was pretty flimsy as a movie..plus that little girl sang the same sh*tty song poorly twice.

Aww I love that part where she sings...you're either Satan or don't have daughters. Anyway I loved the movie but semi agree I certainly wouldn't consider it, like, Oscar worthy. Brad Pitt was great though.

Totally agree with you.

Brad Pitt just showed up, didn't really need to "act" and the fat kid from SuperBad just kept his mouth shut. Otherwise, it was basically a bad documentary.

Totally agree with you.

Brad Pitt just showed up, didn't really need to "act" and the fat kid from SuperBad just kept his mouth shut. Otherwise, it was basically a bad documentary.

Exactly...I'm sick of hearing how great a job he did...Oooh big stretch for him to play an alpha male from Cali in his 40's.

The Artist should clean house and agreed about A Separation with those who mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a good thing since you only saw one of movies nominated :biggrin:

they give the voters the movies, don't they?

I'd watch them for no effort. any day.

and I'd be as opinionated as anyone could ever want, promise.

Much like last year's Kings Speech, I have absolutely no desire to see The Artist. I'll leave that to you cinema elitists. ;)

I was surprised by the Kings Speech's ratings also, but then I saw it and was surprised again. It carries you realistically through the experience of being one of the world's most powerful leaders and having to hide an incredible stutter.

As for the Artist, I suppose I'll be surprised again. Hard to believe I'd be interested in a silent film with some guy dancing like fool in a clown costume...but I probably will like it.

As for the 'Tree of Life'...stay away. piece. of. crap.

I was surprised by the Kings Speech's ratings also, but then I saw it and was surprised again. It carries you realistically through the experience of being one of the world's most powerful leaders and having to hide an incredible stutter. As for the Artist, I suppose I'll be surprised again. Hard to believe I'd be interested in a silent film with some guy dancing like fool in a clown costume...but I probably will like it. As for the 'Tree of Life'...stay away. piece. of. crap.

He dances for 30 seconds and when you see it is relevant.

people dont seem to know the plot of The Artist.

Its basically during the timeframe of the end of silent films and the emergence of talkies. Its 2 main characters are the leading silent male film star of era and a up and coming young starlet in the talkies.

Its a romance story between these two characters and the pitfalls of one on a downslide and the other rising to stardom. Its a very beautiful Love Story. You forget its a silent film 10 minutes in.

Archived