Send Curtis Martin to the Hall of Fame - As a member of the New York Jets!

BaumerJet

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think he deserves first ballot, but def deserves..

Then I guess it's a good thing he already missed out on first ballot last year, huh? Like I said last year, he should defniitely get in, but I t think it's certainly understandable if he doesn't get in right away due to some tough competition (like last year), but he sure as hell better get in before that tubby bastard Bettis.

Then I guess it's a good thing he already missed out on first ballot last year, huh? Like I said last year, he should defniitely get in, but I t think it's certainly understandable if he doesn't get in right away due to some tough competition (like last year), but he sure as hell better get in before that tubby bastard Bettis.

Unfortunately bettis may be ranked higher cause of the SB.. don't agree with it, but it weighs heavily in the minds of votes.. just like the folks who over rate sanchez for going to championship 2x ;)

Unfortunately bettis may be ranked higher cause of the SB.. don't agree with it, but it weighs heavily in the minds of votes.. just like the folks who over rate sanchez for going to championship 2x ;)

It doesn't help Curtis's cause that he didn't exactly seize his opportunities the few times he did see postseason action.

Dammit, not again. Why do I get sucked in?

I know, which is exactly why I said it, because without the Super Bowl it's not even a question. The fact that the guy was a backup on that team only makes it that much more ridiculous. My guess is they'll make it in the same year, which will probably be this year, unless there's a lot of top notch first-year eligibles (which is what happened last year), which I don't think there really are.

compliler, to an extent. for sure

Staying healthy and eating carries is an admirable trait, but to me a first ballot guy has to have elite abilities beyond durability

He will get in based on stats. But this is the truth. Not gonna badmouth him, simply note he was rarely dominant.

Here is the list of finalists. I think Curtis is a shoe-in this year:

Jerome Bettis (RB) 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers

Tim Brown (WR/KR) 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jack Butler (CB) 1951-59 Pittsburgh Steelers

Cris Carter (WR) 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Dermontti Dawson © 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Edward DeBartolo, Jr. (Owner) 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers

Chris Doleman (DE, LB) 1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers

Kevin Greene (DE, LB) 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams, 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers

Charles Haley (LB, DE) 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

Cortez Kennedy (DT) 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Curtis Martin (RB) 1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets

Bill Parcells (Coach) 1983-1990 New York Giants, 1993-96 New England Patriots, 1997-99 New York Jets, 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys

Andre Reed (WR) 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Willie Roaf (OT) 1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs

Will Shields (G) 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs

Dick Stanfel (G) 1952-55 Detroit Lions, 1956-58 Washington Redskins

Aeneas Williams (CB, S) 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals, 2001-04 St. Louis Rams

This would be my list

Cris Carter

Charles Haley

Curtis Martin

Bill Parcells

Willie Roaf

Edward DeBartolo

Stanfel or Butler (One of the old guys will get in)

How on earth could you have Roaf that low?

I give Martin's chances about 50/50 because of his career totals - which are really impressive - but he shouldn't get in this year, again. There were just greater and more dominant, game-changing football players who (appropriately) should be ahead of him.

I give Martin's chances about 50/50 because of his career totals - which are really impressive - but he shouldn't get in this year, again. There were just greater and more dominant, game-changing football players who (appropriately) should be ahead of him.

No.

Looking at that list, I'd really be shocked if Martin doesn't get in this year. Forget for a moment even the argument of how deserving, the truth is in all likelihood in a weaker eligibility year he probably would have been first ballot. Last year was just loaded, and it was certainly understandable he didn't make it. Outside of Roaf, who the hell is a slam dunk as a first ballot this year? All along, I think it was always going to be clear that when he was going up against the real elite level players he would have to wait, but as soon as there was a year not packed with those really big names, he was a shoe-in.

Taking a step back from the view of Jets fans, the rest of the football community knows the guy for being the #4 all-time rusher and matching Sanders record of 10 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. Not to mention, he was always considered one of the "good guys" in the NFL which, right or wrong, counts for a lot in these sort of things. Don't think for a second that if Carter weren't such a giant douche he wouldn't already be in. Besides, with no QBs worth a damn to induct this year, all of the RBs get bumped up a notch.

Looking at that list, I'd really be shocked if Martin doesn't get in this year. Forget for a moment even the argument of how deserving, the truth is in all likelihood in a weaker eligibility year he probably would have been first ballot. Last year was just loaded, and it was certainly understandable he didn't make it. Outside of Roaf, who the hell is a slam dunk as a first ballot this year? All along, I think it was always going to be clear that when he was going up against the real elite level players he would have to wait, but as soon as there was a year not packed with those really big names, he was a shoe-in.

Taking a step back from the view of Jets fans, the rest of the football community knows the guy for being the #4 all-time rusher and matching Sanders record of 10 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons. Not to mention, he was always considered one of the "good guys" in the NFL which, right or wrong, counts for a lot in these sort of things. Don't think for a second that if Carter weren't such a giant douche he wouldn't already be in. Besides, with no QBs worth a damn to induct this year, all of the RBs get bumped up a notch.

If you're not a slam dunk you really shouldn't be there anyway. Shouldn't get in because there has to be 3 every year and the competition is lower.

Good guy stuff is lovely. He should be a Big Brother or director of a 4H club. It didn't make him a more dangerous runner. 5-time pro bowler and one of those was pretty badly undeserved. He had a history of not overcoming good opponents and feasting on crap defenses behind some damn solid run-blocking.

Impressive longevity & stats. Overrated player. That's why Tim Brown and Henry Ellard aren't in and never will be despite each having a zillion receiving yards.

If you're not a slam dunk you really shouldn't be there anyway. Shouldn't get in because there has to be 3 every year and the competition is lower.

Good guy stuff is lovely. He should be a Big Brother or director of a 4H club. It didn't make him a more dangerous runner.

Impressive longevity & stats. Overrated player. That's why Tim Brown and Henry Ellard aren't in and never will be despite each having a zillion receiving yards.

Well that's a different argument of whether you personally feel he deserves it, as opposed to whether or not he will get in anyway. Based on your argument there should be no minimum but also no cap on inductees each year, because a player either deserves to get in or not, period. And frankly, if that were the case, Martin probably would have gotten in last year. I get there's plenty of Jets fans out there who aren't big fans and think he's undeserving, but none of that really makes any difference. You have decided what you think the criteria for entry should be, but I think it's become pretty clear over the years that the HOF committee has a different view of that. The truth is, public perception has just as much to do with it as anything, and Martin certainly had that going for him.

Good guy stuff is lovely. He should be a Big Brother or director of a 4H club. It didn't make him a more dangerous runner. 5-time pro bowler and one of those was pretty badly undeserved. He had a history of not overcoming good opponents and feasting on crap defenses behind some damn solid run-blocking.

How would the NFL's fourth all-time leading rusher not be considered a slam dunk for the Hall of Fame?

I wasn't rating them. Just my guess on who gets the call.

Archived