Send Curtis Martin to the Hall of Fame - As a member of the New York Jets!

BaumerJet

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. The single player I attribute the to the turnaround of the New York Jets. Since his trade, they've been a pretty consistent playoff team...every other year type. Sucks, but good if you grew up a Jets fan in the 80's and early 90's, its an improvement.

I really dont get it. He was really ******* good. Its almost like his haters have argued that he sucks for so long that they forget he's was pretty awesome. They act like he just fell over every time he touched the ball, you dont just fall over and end up being the 4th leading rusher of all time. You dont just fall over but go for 1000 yards 10 straights season in a row, if you did, there would be more than 2 players who've ever done it.

F that. Homeboy will always be 13 carries for 14 yards to me.

Or 19 for 74 vs. the Steelers. That j=highlight of Riggins running over Dolphins to win the Super Bowl? Martin doens't have that.

Grant you he was durable and stat-wise very good, if that's what matters.

add Curtis Martin to the LOOOOONG list of Jets that Bugg hates

It's not hate. Martin was a servicable, decent durable back. By all accounts he is a very decent fellow. But he wasn't great. But when the games mattered most he wasn't usually better than pedestrian.And in his biggest game as a Jet, he was awful.

Look at it like this-Reggie Jackson was a very good hitter. But what set him apart from other good hitters was that in a big game there was almost no one better. Martin was never Reggie Jackson. It's why he waltzed into the baseball HoF and Jim Rice waited years. Martin is Jim Rice, which is still very good, may be even HoF worthy. But there are no 3 HR World Series clinchers on Rice's resume. And there are no Riggins running ove Dolphins in the Super Bowl footage for Martin. Had he done things like that that day in Denver or that day in Pittsburgh and the Jets advance to the Super Bowl, I might be as vocal as you are in support.

Reggie Jerkson is in the HOF for those three HRs only --- he did lead MLB in only two categories when he retired --- most strikeouts in a season and most strikeouts in a career....

he, BTW is also an abominable human being --- went to the BAT dinner a couple of times at a table with some nice young minority kids from a high school in the Bronx --- ever single player there signed the baseballs they were given for autographs --- except Jerkson who sneered at them and blew them off

Reggie Jerkson is in the HOF for those three HRs only --- he did lead MLB in only two categories when he retired --- most strikeouts in a season and most strikeouts in a career....

he, BTW is also an abominable human being --- went to the BAT dinner a couple of times at a table with some nice young minority kids from a high school in the Bronx --- ever single player there signed the baseballs they were given for autographs --- except Jerkson who sneered at them and blew them off

He also had 500 HRs pre-roids and was part of 5 championships. It wasn't only those 3 homers. Eddie Murray and Rice were not beloved, but they did get in.

As to anyone not being a nice guy or a jerk; doesn't really matter, or shouldn't when evaluating what they did on the field. Same goes for Martin . If the writers gave him a leg up because he was a nice guy, that's a mistake.

Agreed. The single player I attribute the to the turnaround of the New York Jets. Since his trade, they've been a pretty consistent playoff team...every other year type. Sucks, but good if you grew up a Jets fan in the 80's and early 90's, its an improvement.

I really dont get it. He was really ******* good. Its almost like his haters have argued that he sucks for so long that they forget he's was pretty awesome. They act like he just fell over every time he touched the ball, you dont just fall over and end up being the 4th leading rusher of all time. You dont just fall over but go for 1000 yards 10 straights season in a row, if you did, there would be more than 2 players who've ever done it.

Pretty amazing what talent can do for a football team at the skill positions. I would not mind seeing the Jets make a big splash similar to that this year by going after a guy like Matt Forte .

JIF I dont get the Curtis Martin hate either. He was solid year in and year out. He was not a tremendous threat but he certainly contributed to moving the chains and defenses had to accont for him, not so much when he got older but thats every player I would love to see the Jets grab a true feature back that defenses will have to worry about

Pretty amazing what talent can do for a football team at the skill positions. I would not mind seeing the Jets make a big splash similar to that this year by going after a guy like Matt Forte .

JIF I dont get the Curtis Martin hate either. He was solid year in and year out. He was not a tremendous threat but he certainly contributed to moving the chains and defenses had to accont for him, not so much when he got older but thats every player I would love to see the Jets grab a true feature back that defenses will have to worry about

Hating Curtis Martin is like hating Sandra Bullock--there's really no objective reason to do it. Sandra Bullock love only becomes problematic when you start comparing her to Meryl Streep.

Hating Curtis Martin is like hating Sandra Bullock--there's really no reason to do it. Sandra Bullock love only becomes problematic when you start comparing her to Meryl Streep.

I dont hate Cmar, he is prob a better person than a football player

watching his highlights does not exude HOFer and doesnt pass eye test, sorry if i offend

Klecko did pass eye test and why is not in and Cmar gets in after 2 tries is a crime.

Yeah, I've heard it all before. Plenty of all time great RB's didnt show up in a big game/s. It happens. He also was unstoppable the game before vs. Jax. But whatevs, people care to remember him one way...thats fine. I'll remember him my way, and thats fine too.

Yeah, I've heard it all before. Plenty of all time great RB's didnt show up in a big game/s. It happens. He also was unstoppable the game before vs. Jax. But whatevs, people care to remember him one way...thats fine. I'll remember him my way, and thats fine too.

I am merciless to those that have wronged me. That Denver game absolutely devastated me. I have never been the same since. The very mention of Curtis Martin and Victor Green will always cause my left eye to start twitching. In my mind, I know how good Curtis was, but in the part of my brain that deals with the inexpressibility of trauma, Curtis appears twice--once because of Denver, then again because he was Herm's favorite and Herm took Parcells' foundation and drove it into the ground in front of me. My apologies to Curt--congrats on the Hall. But, F Curt.

Here are the per-game stats for two RB's with 10,000+ career rushing yards in the NFL. Both went to 5 Pro Bowls. Which is a HoF resume?

Player A - 4.1 ypc, 103.4 rushing/receiving Y/G, .641 TD/G

Player B - 4.0 ypc, 103.7 rushing/receiving Y/G, .602 TD/G

they guy with 100 TD's wins everytime :-)

Here are the per-game stats for two RB's with 10,000+ career rushing yards in the NFL. Both went to 5 Pro Bowls. Which is a HoF resume?

Player A - 4.1 ypc, 103.4 rushing/receiving Y/G, .641 TD/G

Player B - 4.0 ypc, 103.7 rushing/receiving Y/G, .602 TD/G

Gaston Green.

I am merciless to those that have wronged me. That Denver game absolutely devastated me. I have never been the same since. The very mention of Curtis Martin and Victor Green will always cause my left eye to start twitching. In my mind, I know how good Curtis was, but in the part of my brain that deals with the inexpressibility of trauma, Curtis appears twice--once because of Denver, then again because he was Herm's favorite and Herm took Parcells' foundation and drove it into the ground in front of me. My apologies to Curt--congrats on the Hall. But, F Curt.

I remember his fumble and the Byars fumble vividly. Sad day that was. ******* Jets.

Brutal brutal game.... Atlanta had upset seemingly unbeatable Minn earlier that day and we had crushed Atlanta earlier in the year.. Was sitting around at halftime thinking we were going to win the sb

The game after the Denver game wasn't any fonder memory. Without the fumble, Vinny doesn't rupture his Achilles in game 1 of a season we were the odds-on favorite to win the SB.

I haven't said anything since the announcement and am not going to pile on any further. I've said plenty in the past and because I can't help myself I'm sure I'll say more in the future. But this is a great weekend for Martin and the majority of Jets fans who have only fond memories of him, so I'm going to let it go because I'm such a great guy.

The game after the Denver game wasn't any fonder memory. Without the fumble, Vinny doesn't rupture his Achilles in game 1 of a season we were the odds-on favorite to win the SB.

I haven't said anything since the announcement and am not going to pile on any further. I've said plenty in the past and because I can't help myself I'm sure I'll say more in the future. But this is a great weekend for Martin and the majority of Jets fans who have only fond memories of him, so I'm going to let it go.

I am happy a jet is in, still feel Kelcko deserves it way more

Brutal brutal game.... Atlanta had upset seemingly unbeatable Minn earlier that day and we had crushed Atlanta earlier in the year.. Was sitting around at halftime thinking we were going to win the sb

10-0 nothing lead at halftime, Testaverde outplaying Elway a lead going into the 4th.

And it all went to sh!t IN ABOUT 5 minutes. Parcells has said ti was far and away his biggest disappointment in his career. Byars and Martin fumbling, Chrebet dropping passes, Meggett muffing a punt. It's are recurring nightmare. And there are a bunch....Gastineau's RTP call in Cleveland....Edwards stupidly ordering Pennington to center the ball and put it back a yard or 2 in Pitt for Brien(in a game Martin did very little).....Indy with the lead and Green running downhill until he gets hurt...last year's debacle....

ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITHOUT THE JETS.

10-0 nothing lead at halftime, Testaverde outplaying Elway a lead going into the 4th.

And it all went to sh!t IN ABOUT 5 minutes. Parcells has said ti was far and away his biggest disappointment in his career. Byars and Martin fumbling, Chrebet dropping passes, Meggett muffing a punt. It's are recurring nightmare. And there are a bunch....Gastineau's RTP call in Cleveland....Edwards stupidly ordering Pennington to center the ball and put it back a yard or 2 in Pitt for Brien(in a game Martin did very little).....Indy with the lead and Green running downhill until he gets hurt...last year's debacle....

Wanna come over and kick my dog while you're at it?

yeah that sums it up nicely the frustration of being a Jets fan

Archived