Shaun Ellis Says Jets have no loyalty

Lego My Lageman

INDIANAPOLIS -- After 11 seasons of trying to beat 'em, Shaun Ellis decided to join 'em -- and he ended up in the Super Bowl with the team he used to hate.

The former New York Jets defensive end is on Cloud XLVI, enjoying life as a member of the New England Patriots, but he still harbors some bitterness toward his former team. Ellis, recalling his divorce from the Jets, said Tuesday he found their contract offer insulting -- a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum, $910,000.

"Yeah, I did. No loyalty," Ellis said at media day. "They preached that the whole time -- loyalty, loyalty, blah, blah, blah."

Ellis, 34, the longest-tenured defensive lineman in Jets history, was an unrestricted free agent last offseason after starting 15 games for them in 2010. But once they used their first-round pick on defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, Ellis felt like he was cast aside.

Not only was he upset with their offer, but Ellis said "it was how they made it" that really peeved him. He suggested general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan weren't upfront with him.

"They called and said, 'We're going to let Rex speak with you,' " Ellis said. "He said, 'We want you to come back, but we're not going to start you.' I'm like, OK. Tannenbaum said, 'We've got other guys in front of you, we're offering you the minimum. We'll get back to you.'

"It's all how it went about. Just be stand-up, straight up. Just tell me the truth from the start. I'm a big boy, I can handle it. I just felt like there was a lot of sugar coating."

Soon after the lockout was settled, Ellis signed a one-year, $4 million contract with the Patriots, the Jets' longtime nemesis. You could argue that loyalty is a two-way street, and that Ellis was a sell out, but he insisted that wasn't the case.

"I didn't. They didn't want me," said Ellis, revealing that he will consider retirement after the Super Bowl. "That was obvious by what they offered me. ... It was a no-brainer. I gave them an opportunity and they said, 'Nope.' "

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, looking for an experienced defensive lineman with the versatility to line up in 3-4 and 4-3 schemes, jumped at the chance to sign Ellis. Belichick, a former Jets assistant, has signed many ex-Jets over the years. Even though the so-called Border War is intense, he has no problem reaching across the rivalry to grab a player.

"He has brought a level of maturity and professionalism that has been very well-received by our players and the entire organization," Belichick said.

Ellis hasn't produced big numbers (14 tackles and one sack), and he appeared in only three plays in the AFC Championship Game, but he's okay with that. He's in the Super Bowl. He came tantalizingly close with the Jets, reaching the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010.

"It's been a huge ride for me, being on the other side for so long, watching them go to Super Bowls and losing to them," he said. "Then I come on their side, and it all happens again, they make the Super Bowl. It's amazing."

Ellis said several former teammates have reached out to him, wishing him luck on Sunday against the New York Giants. He said he didn't pay too much attention to the Jets' locker-room turmoil, but he was taken aback when he saw LaDainian Tomlinson -- in a recent TV interview -- describing the discord.

"He's definitely one of the most respected guys in the league and for him to say something of that magnitude, you know it's a serious problem," he said.

Describing the difference in styles between the Patriots and Jets, Ellis said players are required by Belichick to check their ego at the door. Under Ryan?

"They can go through the door," he said, laughing. "At the Patriots, everybody is treated the same, even (Tom) Brady. He gets yelled at, too."

After years of trying to beat them in the AFC East, Ellis said he now realizes why the Patriots have been so successful.

"They just outwork everybody," he said.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much money did this guy make over his lifetime with the Jets? Shut up

That is why players, by and large, make me sick when they open their mouths. Does this guy want the Jets to send him Social Security checks? They are like spoiled children. They have no thought process.

After years of trying to beat them in the AFC East, Ellis said he now realizes why the Patriots have been so successful.

"They just outwork everybody," he said.

This is the only portion of the article that matters. And, if it's not just based on bitterness, it's really a problem.

"They called and said, 'We're going to let Rex speak with you,' " Ellis said. "He said, 'We want you to come back, but we're not going to start you.' I'm like, OK. Tannenbaum said, 'We've got other guys in front of you, we're offering you the minimum. We'll get back to you.'

"It's all how it went about. Just be stand-up, straight up. Just tell me the truth from the start. I'm a big boy, I can handle it. I just felt like there was a lot of sugar coating."

I don't know what else he wants them to tell him. That's not sugar coating it and I don't hate Ellis for taking the money, but he doesn't need to hate the jets for not paying him 4 mil. to be a backup

Don't think this is about money. Hell, the Pats let Bruschi, Vrabel and Seymour go after they all dedicated the whole careers to the Pats and they're still Patsie Homers. It is what it is, but I think it's telling that Ellis says the Pats outwork everyone.

I dont really think its that telling. Belly had the benefit of finding a QB and winning the Super Bowl in his second season. We tried the take it or leave it approach with Mangini and it didnt work. The Pats can afford to out work everybody because they have a HOF coach and QB.

You try that in Seattle and the players will tell you to go F yourself.

Ellis hasn't produced big numbers (14 tackles and one sack), and he appeared in only three plays in the AFC Championship Game, but he's okay with that. He's in the Super Bowl. He came tantalizingly close with the Jets, reaching the AFC title game in 2009 and 2010.

So lets see, $4 mill for 15 impact plays...$266,666 per play..

$910k for 15 impact plays...$60,666 per play

Good job Beli

glad you got your money but STFU.

He is ok that he played only 3 plays in the AFCC game but Rex and Tanny TELL him he will be a back-up and he feels slighted...RIGHT

I don't know what else he wants them to tell him. That's not sugar coating it and I don't hate Ellis for taking the money, but he doesn't need to hate the jets for not paying him 4 mil. to be a backup

EXACTLY.. read that and was just thinkin, sounds like he heard what they were sayin.. he just didnt want to hear it

Yeah, you beat me to it on that one, but my thoughts exactly. How much more straight up can they possibly be then telling him they're only offering him the minimum and he won't be a starter? Was always a fan of the guy, but he's definitely come off as a bit of a crybaby. Truth is, despite the fact that he's got himself playing in a Super Bowl, he's been far from impressive this year, so it's not exactly like it was such an awful decision by the Jets to go with the guy that's over 10 years younger than him.

seriously Shaun

the Jets kept you around and paid you big bucks for 11 seasons in which you were an underwhelming invisible man for about 14 out of 16 games a season.

and now, you've been pretty much "Haynesworth Invisible" for another season while Vince Wilfork carried your whole defense

so, do us a favor, you overrated piece of snowball trhowing garbage and please just STFU

How much money did this guy make over his lifetime with the Jets? Shut up

I totally agree, and nice way to put it. Where was his loyalty to the Jets for paying him over $21 million between '07 and '11 for being a - at best - slightly above average player. At 34 years old, and with a top rookie in Wilkinson being drafter, how much did he expect to make? He was bitter also (although this isn't in the article in this thread) that the Jets gave Harris the franchise over him at the end fo last season.

Hello? Shaun? Anyone home? Harris is 28 and still has at least four more years in his prime left. You barely had anything to do with the Patriots going to the Superbowl. What a selfish *$&%.

what is it with so many players now saying all these horrible things about the Jets? Just one more thing that I have never seen so much of when it comes to the Jets and this current regime...something's wrong with this team-I think it may just be that Mike Tannenbaum is the problem and I hope that unless he absolutely NAILS the draft and the off season then this SHOULD be his last year of ruining this team

I dont care that he took the money. Thats kind of the point though, he is complaining about loyalty and he left for more money. He made probably 15+ million here and left. LOL at Shauns tears. Im glad he is at the Super Bowl handing down life lessons.

Jets have paid Ellis $40 million over his career. He can go F-himself. I pray they don't let him retire in green

Jets have paid Ellis $40 million over his career. He can go F-himself. I pray they don't let him retire in green

Please. The guy was an absolute horse here. He makes one comment--the comment every vet makes about their team when they're cut--and now he's a pariah? The guy should go in the Ring of Honor.

Please. The guy was an absolute horse here. He makes one comment--the comment every vet makes about their team when they're cut--and now he's a pariah? The guy should go in the Ring of Honor.

actually, mostly the wrong end of a horse -- with the drug thing, the snowballs thing, and the disappearing for most of 11 seasons thing

Yes, but he is over looking the fact that the Jets are usually very loyal, when it comes to stupidity.

Yeah, I'm with you. I still think he looks like a bit of a douche and crybaby, but that doesn't change anything about the prior 11 years. Truth is, Jets did great by him for many years, and they absolutely made the right decision in handing the job to their young rookie over a guy on the downside of his career who's seen less and less playing time on the league's worth defense this season. Pretty much everyone involved did what was best for them last offseason, so there's no reason to try to blame anyone for anything. Ellis should have shut his mouth, but he's a dipsh*t and that's what NFL players do. Either way, here's hoping that after Sunday he still doesn't have a ring.

Why? He never ever realized his potential. He was never a difference maker. I hope he retires a Pat

Archived