Shaun Ellis Says Jets have no loyalty

Lego My Lageman

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Dude had to choose between 970 k and 4 million. Guy is at the end of his high earning period at 34 years of age. Gotta get it while he can.

$4 million > $970,000.

The rest is nonsense.

It's not like Ellis has 15 sacks and plays every down. Don't fault him for a minute for taking the money. But spare us the violins. If the Pats decide to cut him loosee, is he going to cry about that?In fact, it sounds like the Jets were very honest and upfront with him. It doesn't make them any more or less loyal, merely they are an NFL team like the Pats. Problem also is that the media hasn't had a football to write about for 10 days and they have to write something.

Why? He never ever realized his potential. He was never a difference maker. I hope he retires a Pat

this

underwhelming as a Jet for 11 overpaid seasons.... and even more underwhelming while stealing his 4 million from the Pats this season

Ring of Honor??? not even close

Funny how the Jets could not find money for Ellis, but were able to pay Plax $3 Million. I side with Ellis on this one- Jets showed more loyalty to an ex-con who did not play in two years over a long-time Jet veteran. $4 Million vs. $900,000? Not a tough decision.

Funny how the Jets could not find money for Ellis, but were able to pay Plax $3 Million. I side with Ellis on this one- Jets showed more loyalty to an ex-con who did not play in two years over a long-time Jet veteran. $4 Million vs. $900,000? Not a tough decision.

I hope he loses in the SB, and tries to mend fences with the Jets when the Pats say C-Ya at the end of the season

He's one Jet I never want to see back at Jet Life Stadium. I hope his $3,000,000.00 serves him well in his retirement, as he tries to figure a way back with the team and fanbase that really appreciated him after some pretty good moments

The Pats and Pats fans could give a crap about Shaun Ellis once he's gone

I hope he loses in the SB, and tries to mend fences with the Jets when the Pats say C-Ya at the end of the season

He's one Jet I never want to see back at Jet Life Stadium. I hope his $3,000,000.00 serves him well in his retirement, as he tries to figure a way back with the team and fanbase that really appreciated him after some pretty good moments

The Pats and Pats fans could give a crap about Shaun Ellis once he's gone

"with a team and fan base that really appreciated him..." Really? Maybe the fans did, but offering him the vet minimum is not a sign of appreciation. He took the money- and so would anyone. Steve Smith was in the same situation- he chose the Eagles over the Giants. Pissed off a lot of Giant fans, but how can you blame him? Make the money when you can. If you want loyalty, get a dog.

So you wanted the Jets to pay $4 million to a backup DE? That's basically what you're saying. A backup player shouldn't be making $4 million a year, especially when he only managed 14 tackles in a year.

Anyone know if this guy has Twitter. I'd love to send a message ;)

One has nothing to do with the other, and has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty, and everything to do with the needs of the football team. Regardless of whether you liked the Plaxico signing or your opinion on how it worked out, there's not even a slight bit of question that WR was a FAAAAAAAAAR greater need for the Jets this past offseason than DL. It wasn't a matter of the Jets not finding the money for him, they simply offered him what they thought he was worth. The Jets owed him nothing, they paid him an exorbitant amount of money in his 11 years with the team, and there's no reason they should have shelled out millions more just because that's what Ellis decided he wanted, that's a load of sh*t. The truth is, I'm willing to bet that the Jets would have never even offered Ellis any contract at all if it weren't for them trying to be loyal. But they wanted to make sure he at least had an opportunity to play in the NFL again if he wanted to, and were very up front with him about what his place on the team would be. I don't fault him for a second for going and taking the bigger offer, but there is absolutely no merit whatsoever to Ellis being even the slightest bit of a victim here.

By the same asinine logic trying to be used here, it's actually Ellis that wasn't loyal to the Jets because instead of accepting the vet minimum offer of a team who paid him tens of millions of dollars for his career before that, he ran off to their division rival for nothing but the money. Again, I don't blame him for doing that at all, but if he wants to really try to make the case, he's the one who looks far less loyal out of those two sides. Like I said earlier, I was always a big Ellis fan and will always appreciate his years here, but this whole thing is a heaping load of crap.

"with a team and fan base that really appreciated him..." Really? Maybe the fans did, but offering him the vet minimum is not a sign of appreciation. He took the money- and so would anyone. Steve Smith was in the same situation- he chose the Eagles over the Giants. Pissed off a lot of Giant fans, but how can you blame him? Make the money when you can. If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Please explain how exactly a team offering a vet minimum contract to a guy they only intend to bring back as a backup, after paying him tens of millions over the prior 11 years, is showing a lack of loyalty, yet a guy running from the team who paid him for the past 11 years for more money is not? Both sides did what was in their own best interest, just as they should, but the bottom line is Ellis should shut his damn mouth, because he has absolutely no room to talk.

One has nothing to do with the other, and has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty, and everything to do with the needs of the football team. Regardless of whether you liked the Plaxico signing or your opinion on how it worked out, there's not even a slight bit of question that WR was a FAAAAAAAAAR greater need for the Jets this past offseason than DL. It wasn't a matter of the Jets not finding the money for him, they simply offered him what they thought he was worth. The Jets owed him nothing, they paid him an exorbitant amount of money in his 11 years with the team, and there's no reason they should have shelled out millions more just because that's what Ellis decided he wanted, that's a load of sh*t. The truth is, I'm willing to bet that the Jets would have never even offered Ellis any contract at all if it weren't for them trying to be loyal. But they wanted to make sure he at least had an opportunity to play in the NFL again if he wanted to, and were very up front with him about what his place on the team would be. I don't fault him for a second for going and taking the bigger offer, but there is absolutely no merit whatsoever to Ellis being even the slightest bit of a victim here.

By the same asinine logic trying to be used here, it's actually Ellis that wasn't loyal to the Jets because instead of accepting the vet minimum offer of a team who paid him tens of millions of dollars for his career before that, he ran off to their division rival for nothing but the money. Again, I don't blame him for doing that at all, but if he wants to really try to make the case, he's the one who looks far less loyal out of those two sides. Like I said earlier, I was always a big Ellis fan and will always appreciate his years here, but this whole thing is a heaping load of crap.

yeah, we can all see how well Plax worked out and the defensive line play was awesome!!

I am not saying the Jets should have matched NE's offer. Some on the board questioned SE's loyalty and all I am saying is, by offering the vet minimun, the jets showed they had no interest in bringing Ellis back.

yeah, we can all see how well Plax worked out and the defensive line play was awesome!!

I am not saying the Jets should have matched NE's offer. Some on the board questioned SE's loyalty and all I am saying is, by offering the vet minimun, the jets showed they had no interest in bringing Ellis back.

But the whole point is that it's Ellis who's questioning the Jets' loyalty, which is a heaping load of crap. Again, as I said in the very post you responded to, regardless if you think the Plax signing didn't work out, it doesn't change the fact that WR was a far greater need, and so it made far more sense to allocate that money towards a starting WR than a backup DL (although I still say one had nothing to do the other, but that was simply in response to your comparing the two). As far as the DL, if you're really trying to paint them as an issue with this team, that's just laughable, it's one of the strongest and deepest positions on the Jets. I would just love to hear how the DL would have been better with Ellis, the same guy who was demoted to a backup on the league's worst defense.

I just find it hilarious how much the Jets got trashed over the years for being the team that held onto guys too long and were overpaying players on their last contracts, yet based on all of the evidence it looks like they finally played this one perfectly, and now they're "not loyal". It's just ridiculous.

But the whole point is that it's Ellis who's questioning the Jets' loyalty, which is a heaping load of crap. Again, as I said in the very post you responded to, regardless if you think the Plax signing didn't work out, it doesn't change the fact that WR was a far greater need, and so it made far more sense to allocate that money towards a starting WR than a backup DL (although I still say one had nothing to do the other, but that was simply in response to your comparing the two). As far as the DL, if you're really trying to paint them as an issue with this team, that's just laughable, it's one of the strongest and deepest positions on the Jets. I would just love to hear how the DL would have been better with Ellis, the same guy who was demoted to a backup on the league's worst defense.

I just find it hilarious how much the Jets got trashed over the years for being the team that held onto guys too long and were overpaying players on their last contracts, yet based on all of the evidence it looks like they finally played this one perfectly, and now they're "not loyal". It's just ridiculous.

i hear what you are saying, but I disagree that the DL is any good. Played well vs. the run at times, and at other times did not. Absolutely no pressure on the opposing QB.

Shhhhhh....stop with your facts and logic.

There's a long list of former Jets that have the same gripe about HOW they were let go. Ellis doesn't complain about anything other than his treatment, as evidenced by his statement claiming there was a lot of sugar-coating and unclear messages. He stated he wanted the Jets to be straightforward. I think That's fair considering he dedicated 11 yrs to the team. There's no shortage of players that have hinted at Tannenbaum's slimy tactics in how he treated them. Pennington, Leon Washington, L. Coles, etc. Just watching the way he basically cut off Kellen Clemens' balls on camera in Hard Knocks speaks to this treatment. Ellis deserved a fond farewell, not a runaround and a token crappy contract that basically gave the FO a way out of re-signing him. They knew he wouldn't take it. But it made Ellis look like the bad guy for "jumping ship". A cruddy tactic and nothing more. Ellis was a good Jet, and he still sees himself as a Jet. Otherwise he wouldn't be refering the the Patriots as "they" still. toeing the company line and hating on him is myopic and rediculous.

There's a long list of former Jets that have the same gripe about HOW they were let go. Ellis doesn't complain about anything other than his treatment, as evidenced by his statement claiming there was a lot of sugar-coating and unclear messages. He stated he wanted the Jets to be straightforward. I think That's fair considering he dedicated 11 yrs to the team. There's no shortage of players that have hinted at Tannenbaum's slimy tactics in how he treated them. Pennington, Leon Washington, L. Coles, etc. Just watching the way he basically cut off Kellen Clemens' balls on camera in Hard Knocks speaks to this treatment. Ellis deserved a fond farewell, not a runaround and a token crappy contract that basically gave the FO a way out of re-signing him. They knew he wouldn't take it. But it made Ellis look like the bad guy for "jumping ship". A cruddy tactic and nothing more. Ellis was a good Jet, and he still sees himself as a Jet. Otherwise he wouldn't be refering the the Patriots as "they" still. toeing the company line and hating on him is myopic and rediculous.

That would be one criticism I have of Tanny, though he is not alone in this tactic. It seems like 95% of the GM's do it. Remember in the offseason the Giant and Osi. I'm not sure why GM's just can't be straightforward with the players.

It's like the cold war never ended. It just switched to the NFL.

Don't think this is about money. Hell, the Pats let Bruschi, Vrabel and Seymour go after they all dedicated the whole careers to the Pats and they're still Patsie Homers. It is what it is, but I think it's telling that Ellis says the Pats outwork everyone.

Pats never let Bruschi go. And Vrabel didnt dedicate his whole career to Pats, he played for Pittsburg before. Get your facts straight man!

"They called and said, 'We're going to let Rex speak with you,' " Ellis said. "He said, 'We want you to come back, but we're not going to start you.' I'm like, OK. Tannenbaum said, 'We've got other guys in front of you, we're offering you the minimum. We'll get back to you.'

"It's all how it went about. Just be stand-up, straight up. Just tell me the truth from the start. I'm a big boy, I can handle it. I just felt like there was a lot of sugar coating."

I don't know what else he wants them to tell him. That's not sugar coating it and I don't hate Ellis for taking the money, but he doesn't need to hate the jets for not paying him 4 mil. to be a backup

I think the fact that they paid him 4 mill for 1 sack and a couple of tackles says it all. He got a pass to the SB. So did the Pats, courtesy of one lazy a$$ wideout who failed to do his job.

How much money did this guy make over his lifetime with the Jets? Shut up

Because loyalty for a 34 year old 11 year vet (with only one team) only means something when the price is over 910,000.

Loyalty was them even offering him an extension in the first place. He's only talking sh*t because he's in the superbowl. I remember back when we had the thread "who's going to boo Ellis" when the Pats were coming to the stadium and people here were getting bent out of shape toward the people who was going to boo him.

I call that being overly emotional, kinda like Ellis talking smack to a team that made him rich playing a sport that he loves very much for as long as they could allow him to play in their Jersey.

Im going to boo him again at the superbowl, and hopefully the people that were super emotional about booing him before will put on some grown man pants and get with the program

Ellis was not worth what New England paid him; 4-5 million. He certainly was not worth that on the Jets.

Exactly. If the Jets had re-signed Ellis to the same contract he got from the Pats, these very same people would be trashing the Jets for signing a washed-up player to a huge contract and how it affected their ability to sign other players. The whole thing is such nonsense.

Ellis was practically non existent for the Pats this year- on a team desperate for defense

Desperate for PASS defense. Get it right. If they were relying on Ellis to pressure the opposing QB, the Pats would be even more effed. Too bad Ellis can't play nickle. Sad for me, neither can Edelman.

Desperate for PASS defense. Get it right. If they were relying on Ellis to pressure the opposing QB, the Pats would be even more effed. Too bad Ellis can't play nickle. Sad for me, neither can Edelman.

Boooo F-ing Hoooooo

Sad for me you and your Pats Pukes can't just STFU You jerkoffs are like bees on honey, swarming trying to play the underdog role. Good luck with that

I think that Ellis wasnt talking about the money being a slap in the face as much as the way they handled it. Not that Ellis is a Jets legend or anything, but he had been there a long time. I think what a player would want in that spot is for the team to be honest and say that they cant offer more than the veterans minimum because they dont feel like you can start for them anymore and wont be in the rotation as much. Then say about how you meant alot to the organization and are hoping you want to retire as a Jet and we hope this is enough to get you to come back, but we understand if you can get something elsewhere but we hate to see you go. Sounds like the Jets just threw him some money and figured Rex could make nice, though there were always rumors that Rex didnt care for Ellis and wanted to replace him 2 years ago. If true it may have rung hollow.

Regardless the Jets handled the exit of Thomas Jones, who was here all of 3 years, only 2 of which were productive, as if he was the greatest of all time. They were more honest with him about the money based on what they thought they could get out of him and then took out a full page in the local KC paper to thank Jones for his service to NY. I dont care if Ellis played in NE or not the Jets should have given him that same treatment. The fact that they did not is what I think lends some credence to the rumors that he was almost gone in 2010.

I think that Ellis wasnt talking about the money being a slap in the face as much as the way they handled it. Not that Ellis is a Jets legend or anything, but he had been there a long time. I think what a player would want in that spot is for the team to be honest and say that they cant offer more than the veterans minimum because they dont feel like you can start for them anymore and wont be in the rotation as much. Then say about how you meant alot to the organization and are hoping you want to retire as a Jet and we hope this is enough to get you to come back, but we understand if you can get something elsewhere but we hate to see you go. Sounds like the Jets just threw him some money and figured Rex could make nice, though there were always rumors that Rex didnt care for Ellis and wanted to replace him 2 years ago. If true it may have rung hollow.

Regardless the Jets handled the exit of Thomas Jones, who was here all of 3 years, only 2 of which were productive, as if he was the greatest of all time. They were more honest with him about the money based on what they thought they could get out of him and then took out a full page in the local KC paper to thank Jones for his service to NY. I dont care if Ellis played in NE or not the Jets should have given him that same treatment. The fact that they did not is what I think lends some credence to the rumors that he was almost gone in 2010.

They'll throw Ellis and Cotchery off the roster and make Santonio Holmes a captain and full court press Plaxico Burress.

Rex Ryan, ladies and gentleman.

He was benched for the 247th player taken in last year's draft.

The Pats were total retards for paying him $4M and Ochozero $3M. And people complain about $3.5M for Plaxico who started all 16 games and caught 8 TD passes from one of the league's worst starting QB's.

Belichick is a weird dude. If he ever submitted to having a real GM again, he could probably get the Pats to five of the next ten Super Bowls.

Archived