Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wayne Hunter NOT released. Salary guaranteed.

71 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Jets RT Wayne Hunter's $2.45 million base salary became guaranteed Wednesday because the team did not release him.

The Jets seemed to protect themselves in Hunter's 2011 contract by writing in a loophole to get out of the deal if they released him on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of this week. It never happened. Hunter, 30, was a media whipping boy in his first season as a starter, and for good reason. Pro Football Focus graded Hunter as the fifth-worst offensive tackle in football. Considering his salary, Hunter figures to return as a starter in 2012.

Posted · Report post

Kill me now

Posted · Report post

Jets RT Wayne Hunter's $2.45 million base salary became guaranteed Wednesday because the team did not release him.

The Jets seemed to protect themselves in Hunter's 2011 contract by writing in a loophole to get out of the deal if they released him on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of this week. It never happened. Hunter, 30, was a media whipping boy in his first season as a starter, and for good reason. Pro Football Focus graded Hunter as the fifth-worst offensive tackle in football. Considering his salary, Hunter figures to return as a starter in 2012.

OMG

Is this true???????

On on board with the suicide Broadway

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weird move. It's too obvious to cut him. Must know things we don't. Maybe they're just freaking out about depth, because this was the first time in a loooong time that our line took some injuries. Or maybe Hunter was injured and it wasn't disclosed but they trust in his health now. Who knows... either way, doubt he'll be the starter.

Edited by stoicsentry

Posted · Report post

Best RT in NFL per Rexey

Posted · Report post

one step closer to NOT watching the Jets in 2012-now if YOU were oh say, a future Hall of Fame QB considering WHICH team you might want to go to, AND you're coming off a major surgery on an important part of your body that oh let's just say SUPPORTS YOUR GIANT FRICKIN HEAD would you go to a team with Wayne Hunter starting on your right side? Yea, me neither...

Posted · Report post

All we need is Mulligan and Eric Smith to come back and we can start talking how great an 8-8 season its going to be!

Posted · Report post

Weird move. It's too obvious to cut him. Must know things we don't.

Geez

What could they know? They just guaranteed the guy starters money. He probably would have resigned for vets min.

Posted · Report post

All we need is Mulligan and Eric Smith to come back and we can start talking how great an 8-8 season its going to be!

their are jet fans in denver? i would luv to move to rado

Posted · Report post

This really is scary

The Jets haven't had a OL as bad as him since Adrian Clarke.

SFJ. Do you know any high buildings to jump from in So Florida?

Posted · Report post

I just laugh. That's all. I laugh and wish I were a Giant fan.

Posted · Report post

Geez

What could they know? They just guaranteed the guy starters money. He probably would have resigned for vets min.

I dunno, it's a damn mystery.

I know how fans are on here, they will go crazy about this. But even for those who don't like Tanny (and perhaps they have their reasons), still gotta recognize that he's not a complete idiot.

Just looked up Kareem McKenzie's average salary over his current contract and it's $5,357,143.

Posted · Report post

WTF? This franchise makes me want to punt puppies.

Posted · Report post

RYANSET.gif

Posted · Report post

Kill me now

Only after you kill Hunter. That way, your death can have some meaning.

Posted (edited) · Report post

it's not a huge salary. they still could make a move to provide competition, possibly thru the draft. it's actually closer to a backup tackles salary than a starters.

Edited by bitonti

Posted · Report post

Coach em up Rex

Posted · Report post

I dont mind having him as a backup, but I just hope, for the love of god, he isn't a starter, again.

He is getting paid too much to be a back up. This probably isn't the last we have heard of Hunter's situation.

Posted · Report post

it's not a huge salary. they still could make a move to provide competition, possibly thru the draft. it's actually closer to a backup tackles salary than a starters.

No it’s not a huge salary, but there are about 100 JAG’s out there, as good as him, who would play for vets min. The guy was horrible. I don’t blame them for signing him last year, he was off a good season.

Hell Vernon Carey played for 2.5 million this year. He started 87 straight games for the Fish at three OL positions. He’s a FA

Maybe Mike T just forgot about the guarantee.

Lord this is getting silly

Posted · Report post

one step closer to NOT watching the Jets in 2012-now if YOU were oh say, a future Hall of Fame QB considering WHICH team you might want to go to, AND you're coming off a major surgery on an important part of your body that oh let's just say SUPPORTS YOUR GIANT FRICKIN HEAD would you go to a team with Wayne Hunter starting on your right side? Yea, me neither...

I'd go to the Dolphins or the Cardinals. Those two have been the epitome of well-run franchises over the past decade, wouldn't you say?

Posted · Report post

You're right, I think. It's hard to say without one of those cap experts that really understands. I just looked up Eric Pears starting RT for the Bills and he signed a 3 year contract for $9.3 mil, so about $3.1m for a scrub starter. Though that's not guaranteed money and whatnot.

Other thing, maybe Wayne agreed to take a paycut and that hasn't been disclosed yet? That would explain it, too.

Posted · Report post

Clearly its so he can be a back up to a soon to be signed top tier tackle.

RIGHT???

Posted · Report post

Mike Tannenbaum brought us to back to back near-Super Bowls, you guys.

Posted · Report post

RIGHT???

My guess is Trader Mike will return and be a player in the first round, for a safety and a right tackle. With his extra draft picks this year from compensatory picks he might feel confident to play with the Jets picks

Posted · Report post

RIGHT???

I tend to think so - well, it depends on what you mean by top tier. Who is free this season?

Point being, I'm betting they will try to plug RT with a veteran presence rather than a rookie or Hunter because it's one position where they desperately need consistency at.

You know, we would actually have good O-Line depth if we end up with Hunter, Rob Turner and Ducasse on the bench.