Wayne Hunter NOT released. Salary guaranteed.

BroadwayJ667

Jets RT Wayne Hunter's $2.45 million base salary became guaranteed Wednesday because the team did not release him.

The Jets seemed to protect themselves in Hunter's 2011 contract by writing in a loophole to get out of the deal if they released him on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of this week. It never happened. Hunter, 30, was a media whipping boy in his first season as a starter, and for good reason. Pro Football Focus graded Hunter as the fifth-worst offensive tackle in football. Considering his salary, Hunter figures to return as a starter in 2012.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets RT Wayne Hunter's $2.45 million base salary became guaranteed Wednesday because the team did not release him.

The Jets seemed to protect themselves in Hunter's 2011 contract by writing in a loophole to get out of the deal if they released him on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of this week. It never happened. Hunter, 30, was a media whipping boy in his first season as a starter, and for good reason. Pro Football Focus graded Hunter as the fifth-worst offensive tackle in football. Considering his salary, Hunter figures to return as a starter in 2012.

OMG

Is this true???????

On on board with the suicide Broadway

Weird move. It's too obvious to cut him. Must know things we don't. Maybe they're just freaking out about depth, because this was the first time in a loooong time that our line took some injuries. Or maybe Hunter was injured and it wasn't disclosed but they trust in his health now. Who knows... either way, doubt he'll be the starter.

one step closer to NOT watching the Jets in 2012-now if YOU were oh say, a future Hall of Fame QB considering WHICH team you might want to go to, AND you're coming off a major surgery on an important part of your body that oh let's just say SUPPORTS YOUR GIANT FRICKIN HEAD would you go to a team with Wayne Hunter starting on your right side? Yea, me neither...

Geez

What could they know? They just guaranteed the guy starters money. He probably would have resigned for vets min.

I dunno, it's a damn mystery.

I know how fans are on here, they will go crazy about this. But even for those who don't like Tanny (and perhaps they have their reasons), still gotta recognize that he's not a complete idiot.

Just looked up Kareem McKenzie's average salary over his current contract and it's $5,357,143.

it's not a huge salary. they still could make a move to provide competition, possibly thru the draft. it's actually closer to a backup tackles salary than a starters.

No it’s not a huge salary, but there are about 100 JAG’s out there, as good as him, who would play for vets min. The guy was horrible. I don’t blame them for signing him last year, he was off a good season.

Hell Vernon Carey played for 2.5 million this year. He started 87 straight games for the Fish at three OL positions. He’s a FA

Maybe Mike T just forgot about the guarantee.

Lord this is getting silly

one step closer to NOT watching the Jets in 2012-now if YOU were oh say, a future Hall of Fame QB considering WHICH team you might want to go to, AND you're coming off a major surgery on an important part of your body that oh let's just say SUPPORTS YOUR GIANT FRICKIN HEAD would you go to a team with Wayne Hunter starting on your right side? Yea, me neither...

I'd go to the Dolphins or the Cardinals. Those two have been the epitome of well-run franchises over the past decade, wouldn't you say?

it's not a huge salary. they still could make a move to provide competition, possibly thru the draft. it's actually closer to a backup tackles salary than a starters.

You're right, I think. It's hard to say without one of those cap experts that really understands. I just looked up Eric Pears starting RT for the Bills and he signed a 3 year contract for $9.3 mil, so about $3.1m for a scrub starter. Though that's not guaranteed money and whatnot.

Other thing, maybe Wayne agreed to take a paycut and that hasn't been disclosed yet? That would explain it, too.

Clearly its so he can be a back up to a soon to be signed top tier tackle.

RIGHT???

My guess is Trader Mike will return and be a player in the first round, for a safety and a right tackle. With his extra draft picks this year from compensatory picks he might feel confident to play with the Jets picks

Clearly its so he can be a back up to a soon to be signed top tier tackle.

RIGHT???

I tend to think so - well, it depends on what you mean by top tier. Who is free this season?

Point being, I'm betting they will try to plug RT with a veteran presence rather than a rookie or Hunter because it's one position where they desperately need consistency at.

You know, we would actually have good O-Line depth if we end up with Hunter, Rob Turner and Ducasse on the bench.

I tend to think so - well, it depends on what you mean by top tier. Who is free this season?

Point being, I'm betting they will try to plug RT with a veteran presence rather than a rookie or Hunter because it's one position where they desperately need consistency at.

You know, we would actually have good O-Line depth if we end up with Hunter, Rob Turner and Ducasse on the bench.

Marcus McNeil is going to be released

Kill me now

Depth. You cant release a guy and not already have his replacement in a situation like the Jets are in. The depth on this oline is the worse ever. They have to keep him and hope that they can pick someone up that can either bench him or at worse be as good as him...if I can even call that "good".

Great point, however we have a QB. If Peyton would have that thought, just imagine what sanchez feels actually having this guy as your RT

yeah hopefully the Jets are going down that road with Turner and Hunter on the bench with a new RT in the works via FA or trade and Ducasse the hell out of here.

I'd go with Vernon Carey

6'5" 350 30 YO Had 87 straight starts for the Dolphins at RT, LT, and guard only gave up 6 sacks as a LT. IR'ed in week 13 2010 with a knee. Health status wasn't sure in 2011, redid his contract and played RG. Made Pro Bowl as an alternate. Had a high ankle sprain in the Dallas game late in the season. Should play fairly cheap.

The only thing that makes any sense here is perhaps they are close to re-doing Hunter's deal, and had a hand shake agreement to let the deadline pass until it is complete.

Archived