NFL Combine at Indy

sg3

Pre-Combine News & Notes

14 Feb

As we move closer to the combine here’s the latest news and notes making their way around the scouting world as players, coaches and NFL decision makers prepare to descend on Indianapolis. Feb 14th: Updates on Toone, Burfict & Boykin

- Sources tell me the recent injury, or re-injury. to the foot of Nick Toon/WR/Wisconsin, continues to be an issue. Evidently in recent training for the combine, specifically when working on starts for the forty, Toone was experiencing significant foot pain. Everyone we’ve spoke with say its unlikely the Wisconsin receiver runs at the combine.

- On the other hand I’ve been told the reported broken leg suffered by Brandon Boykin/CB/Georgia at the Senior Bowl was nothing more than a leg injury and is a dead issue as far as teams are concerned. Boykin has been training for the combine and we hear he looks sharp. There’s been no definite word on whether or not he’ll run in Indianapolis.

- The buzz around Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict unfortunately continues to be negative. I was told at the Senior Bowl when he showed up for combine training in January, Burfict looked soft and out of shape. Latest word has him completing less than 15 reps on the bench recently and Burfict has been slowed by a leg (hamstring) issue. All that we’ve talked with say the biggest issue surrounding the often times dominant linebacker is work ethic.

http://www.draftinsi...et/blog/?p=6131

- The buzz around Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict unfortunately continues to be negative. I was told at the Senior Bowl when he showed up for combine training in January, Burfict looked soft and out of shape. Latest word has him completing less than 15 reps on the bench recently and Burfict has been slowed by a leg (hamstring) issue. All that we’ve talked with say the biggest issue surrounding the often times dominant linebacker is work ethic.

http://www.draftinsi...et/blog/?p=6131

i am unbelievably disappointed in this kid... i love watchin him, but all this bad news is making me nervous.... the more i hear about the guys i like at our position, the less i like anyone... barron, burifect, mercilus... all have flags

i am unbelievably disappointed in this kid... i love watchin him, but all this bad news is making me nervous.... the more i hear about the guys i like at our position, the less i like anyone... barron, burifect, mercilus... all have flags

He is on Mayocks do not touch list

Vontaze Burfict - LB - Player After watching "a bunch of tape" on Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict recently, NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes Burfict is not worth a first-round pick in April's draft.

"I'm not a fan at all," said Mayock. "I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed." Mayock said he tried to filter out Burfict's off- and on-field behavioral issues and graded him strictly off game tape. "His instincts aren't good," Mayock observed. "He gets enveloped by bigger bodies and he runs around blocks. I don't see first round at all."

Vontaze Burfict - LB - Player One NFL scout told ESPN's Todd McShay that Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict was flagged for 17 personal fouls in his college career.

Burfict was a third-year junior before he declared for the draft, so the 17 personal foul penalties occurred only in a 35-game span. And that's not including other, lesser penalties. On-field character is a real concern for Burfict. His work ethic and 2011 performance have also been criticized widely.

https://twitter.com/#!/McShay13/statuses/169955301561339905

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Alshon Jeffery - WR - Player Appearing on media conference call Wednesday, NFL Network's Mike Mayock confirmed that he's heard the rumors about South Carolina WR Alshon Jeffery's weight ballooning before the Combine.

Mayock emphasized that Jeffery needs desperately to get in shape and run well in the forty-yard dash. "Alshon Jeffery does not separate," said Mayock. "What those guys run is important. He needs to run somewhere in those mid-4.5s." Mayock recently bumped Jeffery down his receiver rankings and does not believe he'll be a first-round pick. "Big and fast is good," said Mayock. "Big and slow is bad. Bottom line is, he has got to run well."

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

This logic doesnt make sense. He's either going to be a disaster or he's not.

that is assuming that every player will have the same career, regardless of where he is picked or what team he goes to... that it's all about the player and nothing about the match between player and team.

in Burfict's case, in rd 1 he's expected to start right away and be a beast. in rd 3 he can learn for a year or 2 behind a vet (like Bart Scott perhaps) get his body in shape in a strength program etc.

also to put Mayock's comments in light, that was primarily a discussion about Luke Kuechly and how he's the supposedly best ILB in the nation. Mayock is from BC and was dissing Burfict, compared to Kuechly. Burfict is certainly riskier. but he possibly has a higher upside.

Personally I think Alabama's Dont'a Hightower is better than both and he should be the 1st ILB off the board.

This logic doesnt make sense. He's either going to be a disaster or he's not.

that is assuming that every player will have the same career, regardless of where he is picked or what team he goes to... that it's all about the player and nothing about the match between player and team.

in Burfict's case, in rd 1 he's expected to start right away and be a beast. in rd 3 he can learn for a year or 2 behind a vet (like Bart Scott perhaps) get his body in shape in a strength program etc.

also to put Mayock's comments in light, that was primarily a discussion about Luke Kuechly and how he's the supposedly best ILB in the nation. Mayock is from BC and was dissing Burfict, compared to Kuechly. Burfict is certainly riskier. but he possibly has a higher upside.

Personally I think Alabama's Dont'a Hightower is better than both and he should be the 1st ILB off the board.

The lower in the draft he goes also affects the player's motivation...in the first round he thinks he's arrived...in the third round he has something to prove.

Big difference.

Last thing we need is a prospect with flags.

2012 Scouting Combine preview

Story Highlights

Pass-rushers Courtney Upshaw and Vinny Curry will have to post fast 40 times

Expect Melvin Ingram, Fletcher Cox to boast surprisingly strong workout numbers

Another weak workout might move CB Alfonzo Dennard to safety in the NFL

Defensive tackle Fletcher Cox is expected to boast a strong Combine workout, which could send his already-high stock skyrocketing.

Shelby Daniel/Icon SMI

The NFL descends upon Indianapolis for the second time in February, though for very different reasons this time around. More than 325 NFL hopefuls will arrive at the NFL Scouting Combine to be tested physically, mentally and medically by prospective future employers. The Combine offers prospects another opportunity to impress NFL decision-makers. Here's some insight on who to keep an eye on.

Who has the most to gain?

Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor -- Several draft boards around the league list Wright as the top receiver prospect. Game film shows Wright is football fast, but is he stopwatch fast? Running under 4.4 in the 40 would help secure Wright as a top-15 choice.

David DeCastro, OL, Stanford -- DeCastro closely resembles Steve Hutchinson on the field with his aggressive nature and dominant strength. Scouts wonder if DeCastro can make the move from guard to right tackle in the NFL. He's listed at 6-foot-5 on the Stanford website, the perfect height for a right tackle prospect. If his Combine measurement is close to that number and DeCastro turns in a good workout, franchises around the league could place him on their draft board at the right tackle position. His draft stock would then soar.

Courtney Upshaw, DE-OLB, Alabama -- Upshaw has a lot riding on his 40 time. A performance in the low 4.7s will ease the minds of 3-4 teams around the league who project Upshaw to outside linebacker.

Vinny Curry, DE-OLB, Marshall -- The situation is much the same for Curry, one of the best pass rushers in college football the past two seasons. He possesses the quickness and movement skills to line up at outside linebacker, but many wonder if he has the speed necessary to run with tight ends in coverage. Forty times in the low 4.7s could push Curry into the late part of the first round.

Shea McClellin, LB, Boise State -- McClellin has made a steady climb up draft boards. He was a devastating pass rusher at defensive end for Boise State, then made the seamless transition to linebacker at the Senior Bowl. He's another hybrid prospect who will jump up draft boards with good postings in the 40. A time no worse than 4.72 seconds could move him into the late part of the second round.

George Iloka, S, Boise State -- In a position group lacking talent, Iloka impressed teams during the Senior Bowl. He's currently the top free safety on draft boards around the league. If Iloka performs as expected (4.50 seconds and 25 reps on the bench at 225 pounds) he'll likely secure a spot in the early part of the second round.

Marvin Jones, WR, California -- Jones was cast as a possession wideout with minimal upside entering the 2011 campaign. He topped off a tremendous season by impressing NFL decision-makers at the Senior Bowl. The question remains: How fast is Jones? If he matches his 40 times in recent workouts (low 4.4s), Jones will be viewed in a whole new light and could jump into the second round.

Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt -- Hayward is one of the most polished cornerbacks in the draft. He offers next-level ball skills, size and top-notch instincts. But his lack of foot speed concerns scouts. The cornerback position has four top prospects, then its anyone's guess. Hayward could slide into the middle of the second round if he runs in the very low 4.5 area.

Philip Thomas, S, Syracuse -- Thomas is building a buzz in scouting circles. He was a ballhawk at Syracuse, with a relatively complete game. But he was also dismissed from the program during the 2011 season for violation of team rules. Workouts and interviews are critical for Thomas.

Ladarius Green, TE, Louisiana Lafayette -- The NFL is a copycat league, and now every offensive coordinator is looking for the large tight end who can get downfield and create mismatches in the secondary. Green has the size (6-5, 240), but scouts want to see if he can run fast.

Who needs a good workout?

Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama -- The Alabama junior is universally graded as the second-best cornerback in this draft. Where he lands in the first round depends on his 40 time (Kirkpatrick was beaten deep on a number of occasions) and how he answers questions about character and work ethic.

Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College -- Kuechly was a tackling machine for the Eagles and may have the best instincts of any defensive prospect in this draft. His size and speed are a concern, though, and many wonder if Kuechly is nothing more than a two-down run-stopper in the NFL. He could quell those concerns with solid performances on the bench press and in the 40.

Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina -- Jeffery is known for his highlight-reel receptions and the ability to beat defenders to come away with the ball. But questions about his speed, quickness and conditioning linger. Jeffery needs to arrive at the Combine in shape and ready to work out.

Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska -- Dennard was a solid cornerback the past two seasons at Nebraska, but a poor week at the Senior Bowl has raised concern. If he doesn't run fast times in the 40 (at least mid-4.4 range), teams will take him off their cornerback list and move him to safety.

Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State -- There's not much that can be written about Burfict that hasn't been already said. He needs to show he's the complete package both on the field during workouts as well as in the interview room for any chance of restoring his draft stock.

Who will surprise?

Melvin Ingram, DE-OLB, South Carolina -- Ingram has been lightning fast in recent workouts leading up to the Combine. At 275 pounds, he's expected to run under 4.7 seconds in the 40. If he does, Ingram will move into the draft's first dozen choices.

Fletcher Cox, DL, Mississippi State -- Cox is another big man who will boast surprisingly strong workout numbers. He's expected to run slightly under 4.8 in the 40 after tipping the scale at 300 pounds. Cox will also excel in many of the other Combine tests. Insiders have said he could make a Tyson Jackson-like sprint up draft boards after his workout.

Lamar Miller, RB, Miami -- Miller has not let postseason shoulder surgery slow him down. The speedy back recently returned to training after rehabbing his shoulder and has been posting times in the mid-4.3s.

Oliver Vernon, DE-OLB, Miami -- Vernon sat on the sidelines for half of last season, serving an NCAA suspension. His stats, including 3.5 tackles for loss and 1.5 sacks, are nothing to get excited about. But on film Vernon looks fast and athletic. He could be the talk of the Combine; at more than 260 pounds, he has been regularly posting times in the low-4.6-second range

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1nH38TS3x

2012 Scouting Combine preview

Shea McClellin, LB, Boise State -- McClellin has made a steady climb up draft boards. He was a devastating pass rusher at defensive end for Boise State, then made the seamless transition to linebacker at the Senior Bowl. He's another hybrid prospect who will jump up draft boards with good postings in the 40. A time no worse than 4.72 seconds could move him into the late part of the second round.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1nH38TS3x

Any insight on McClellin would be appreciated. Havent heard much about him yet.

Any insight on McClellin would be appreciated. Havent heard much about him yet.

I didn't think he was special at Senior Bowl. Didn't flash or get off blocks well. Certainly a good athlete and maybe that just wasn't a good system for him (Lamarr Woodley also had a bad SB week). but Shea didn't go to Michigan, probable 4th rd player if he doesn't blaze on the track.

I didn't think he was special at Senior Bowl. Didn't flash or get off blocks well. Certainly a good athlete and maybe that just wasn't a good system for him (Lamarr Woodley also had a bad SB week). but Shea didn't go to Michigan, probable 4th rd player if he doesn't blaze on the track.

Agreed on that...getting alot of talk but strictly a development guy.

Edit: I'm thinking late 2nd-early 4th is his range.

Alshon Jeffery - 6'3'', 216 pounds

WOW...Dude is gonna be an early 1st rounder

if he's been on a lose-weight-fast program it will have sapped his strength and possibly his speed. in other words he still has to run to be that early 1st, just weighing in, isn't enough.

especially when he's got the exact same height/weight as Sanu and Randle.

Cordy Glenn put 225 up 31 times. that's a great number for a guy with 35 inch arms. Mike Adams (who also has long arms) put up 19 reps, Reily Reiff did 23, that's to be expected (last year Nate Solder put up 21).

But Glenn putting up 31 that's unexpected. Great number for a tackle prospect. He's turning into a real nice prospect. Other names:

Kalil did 30 that's pretty awesome for a guy his size. Decastro did 34. osemele did 32. Konz did 18 which hurts him.

Cordy Glenn put 225 up 31 times. that's a great number for a guy with 35 inch arms. Mike Adams (who also has long arms) put up 19 reps, Reily Reiff did 23, that's to be expected (last year Nate Solder put up 21).

But Glenn putting up 31 that's unexpected. Great number for a tackle prospect. He's turning into a real nice prospect. Other names:

Kalil did 30 that's pretty awesome for a guy his size. Decastro did 34. osemele did 32. Konz did 18 which hurts him.

thanks for the updates, bit

is Draftdaddy live in Indy?

Archived