Matt Slauson's Base Salary Increases

denden29

The problem isn't with the raise it's the cap is getting tighter. The Jets are losing flexibility in their cap situation given the guaranteed moneys and raises. The Jets are going to have to play hard ball with some players to make cap space.

The cap will be increasing this year. This bump is the least of the Jets worries.

The problem isn't with the raise it's the cap is getting tighter. The Jets are losing flexibility in their cap situation given the guaranteed moneys and raises.

This happens to every team every season, there's so many incentives in these contracts that when a 6th rounder becomes a 16-game starter during his rookie contract, his salary is going to end up getting a bump. Yeah, it makes the situation tighter, but they'll make moves to free up space elsewhere on the roster as the offseason moves on and besides, outside of them perhaps deciding to take a shot at Manning I doubt there's anyone the Jets will be trying to throw any big money at in FA this year anyway. There's plenty of people on this roster who the Jets are going to want to restructure or cut to save money on the cap long before they're worrying about Slauson.

I think there is some confusion about this post. There is no problem with Slauson's salary, he is a bargain. Just providing news about the raise and this does make the cap room less.

Here is some news on the 2012 potential salary cap increase:

"According to Charley Casserly, on Sunday's CBS pre-game show, the NFL sent a Grinch like message to all NFL teams last week, that the 2012 salary cap will not increase, or at best only increase very, very slightly"

The Jets have increased a number of player's salaries this week and guaranteed other salaries. The fact is some cap flexibility has been taken away, like trying to lessen Hunter's cap number. The Jets are stuck with Hunter's salary it's guaranteed now and he makes more than Slauson.

What the Jets usually do is get a player to take a cut this year for a guarantee next year but this can be a risky maneuver. Look at Bart Scott, the Jets did that with him, now they are on the hook for his 2012 salary and he may not even stay with the team.

We all know the Jets cap gets tighter the more salaries increase, weather fair or not, the increases hurts the teams ability to sign free agents and draft picks. They are going to have to make up money somewhere, just hope it doesn't affect the team negatively in future years caps.

If you're looking for a reason as to why you spend your late rounders on OL/Front 7 players and not FB's or garbage QB prospects, look no further.

The craziest part of it is that given Mangold's health issues, there's certainly a legit case to be made that Slauson was the Jets most consistent OL last year.

The craziest part of it is that given Mangold's health issues, there's certainly a legit case to be made that Slauson was the Jets most consistent OL last year.

Outside of Mangold, he was.

I am not sure if the gripe that Callahan had with the Jets impacted his coaching at all last year, but the line as a unit sure performed like it.

I think there is some confusion. There is no problem with Slauson's salary. Just providing news about the raise and this does make the cap room less.

Here is some news on the potential salary cap increase:

"According to Charley Casserly, on Sunday's CBS pre-game show, the NFL sent a Grinch like message to all NFL teams last week, that the 2012 salary cap will not increase, or at best only increase very, very slightly"

The Jets have 8.4m in carry over cap from last year.

There are restructures they could make if they want. They can't spend like a drunken sailor, but if there are moves they want to make, they could do them.

The problem isn't with the raise it's the cap is getting tighter. The Jets are losing flexibility in their cap situation given the guaranteed moneys and raises. The Jets are going to have to play hard ball with some players to make cap space.

Me thinks 800k isnt that much in the grand scheme of things

There are restructures they could make if they want. They can't spend like a drunken sailor, but if there are moves they want to make, they could do them.

I guess my question is who are you restructuring and how are you going about it?

Me thinks 800k isnt that much in the grand scheme of things

If you add up all the money the Jets have added this week it is significant. Lots of Jets cap articles about how they would create space had Hunter being cut or restructured to make cap room. This did not happen and these articles didn't take into account the incentive raises that kicked in this week. Like I said the Jets are going to have to find room somewhere, but who is taking a pay cut? The Jets still need to sign some of their own FA back like Pouha, he won't be cheap, and the free space is less.

Again, I'm not judging if the player is worth the money or not, it is simple business the Jets 2012 cap is tight they will have to find ways to save salary this year or back load new deals into future caps. I just don't want to see the tem with so little cap flexibility for years to come. Look at the other teams in the Jets division their cap situation is much better and I'm worried the Jets will miss out on players while our rivals get stronger.

The Jets are already $3 million over the 2012 cap and now with the salary incentive raises that puts them more over the cap. Here are the raises; Slauson $800k, Greene $50K, Keller $2 million, DeVito $300k and Patrick Turner resigned $615K. The total $3.765 million add that to the $3 million already over the cap and you have to sign FA like Pouha the carry over is gone.

The forum post are often about NFL free agents and draft picks we'd all like to see as Jets but right now the Jets have little if no cap room. My question is "Who is taking a pay cut?"

The Jets are already $3 million over the 2012 cap and now with the salary incentive raises that puts them more over the cap. Here are the raises; Slauson $800k, Greene $50K, Keller $2 million, DeVito $300k and Patrick Turner resigned $615K. The total $3.765 million add that to the $3 million already over the cap and you have to sign FA like Pouha the carry over is gone.

The forum post are often about NFL free agents and draft picks we'd all like to see as Jets but right now the Jets have little if no cap room. My question is "Who is taking a pay cut?"

There's still plenty of people I think the Jets have some room to work with: http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

I'd be absolutely shocked if both Sanchez and Scott don't end up taking significant salary cuts. They could probably find $5+ million just between those two easy. Holmes probably should take a cut too, but that will never happen. The Jets can save over $2 million by cutting that useless waste of life Eric Smith. There's plenty of others who I'm sure will be released / renegotiated as well. Of course that's not to say it isn't potentially going to be tight, but I'd hardly say all hope is lost either.

There's still plenty of people I think the Jets have some room to work with: http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

I'd be absolutely shocked if both Sanchez and Scott don't end up taking significant salary cuts. They could probably find $5+ million just between those two easy. Holmes probably should take a cut too, but that will never happen. The Jets can save over $2 million by cutting that useless waste of life Eric Smith. There's plenty of others who I'm sure will be released / renegotiated as well. Of course that's not to say it isn't potentially going to be tight, but I'd hardly say all hope is lost either.

I'm not saying there is no way to get some relief but forget about Scott his money is guaranteed. My point is the Jets are going to have to make very difficult decisions; they may have to cut someone or trade someone they don't want to. If someone makes Pouha a big offer the Jets will not be able to match it. Remember the Jets have only signed one of their own free agents, Turner, and they have to sign their upcoming draft class besides other free agents. The bottom line is the Jets are in a tough spot because the cap space they can create goes very quickly. This is what happens when you build a team, not via the draft, but the way the Jets have.

The Jets traded away draft picks for short term expensive veterans, brought in high priced free agents and was aggressive while drafting trading up often. They built a solid team using these methods and made some runs in the playoffs but it is now time to pay the piper. The shelf life of a team built in this manner tends to be short. The Jets are hit with the double whammy, the team has needs and they are tight against the cap to bring in new players. That is why this year's draft is so important, the Jets need cheaper, younger and more athletic players while pushing the older higher priced players out.

I recall reading someone mention he might command a 1.3 to 1.6 mill range contract. If thats the case i will not shy away.

I like Maybin he gives a great effort but if the Jets pay him 1.3-1.6 million I'll be sick. Right now Maybin is part-time player used only in passing situations. Every time on the field he was sent after the QB. Yes, he got 6 sacks but disappeared with zero in the last four games.

Now with a full camp and some work he might become more but the fact is Maybin walked the streets in 2011 for three weeks until the Jets picked him back up. No team in the NFL will pay him that type of money so why should the Jets? 600K is what I'm paying him and he'll take it because no one else wants him and the Jets need the other million to spend elsewhere. If he has a nice 2012 then a better 2013 deal would be in the works but not right now.

I like Maybin he gives a great effort but if the Jets pay him 1.3-1.6 million I'll be sick. Right now Maybin is part-time player used only in passing situations. Every time on the field he was sent after the QB. Yes, he got 6 sacks but disappeared with zero in the last four games.

Now with a full camp and some work he might become more but the fact is Maybin walked the streets in 2011 for three weeks until the Jets picked him back up. No team in the NFL will pay him that type of money so why should the Jets? $600K is what I'm paying him and he'll take it because no one else wants him and the Jets need the other million to spend elsewhere. If he has a nice 2012 then a better 2013 deal would be in the works but not right now.

Now with a full camp and some work he might become more but the fact is Maybin walked the streets in 2011 for three weeks until the Jets picked him back up. No team in the NFL will pay him that type of money so why should the Jets? 600K is what I'm paying him and he'll take it because no one else wants him and the Jets need the other million to spend elsewhere. If he has a nice 2012 then a better 2013 deal would be in the works but not right now.

All good points. But he has the potential of being a huge playmaker. So given what we pay a Pace, a Maybin at 1.3 million is welcome on the team. Just my opinion.

Archived