Matt Slauson's Base Salary Increases

denden29

I like Maybin he gives a great effort but if the Jets pay him 1.3-1.6 million I'll be sick. Right now Maybin is part-time player used only in passing situations. Every time on the field he was sent after the QB. Yes, he got 6 sacks but disappeared with zero in the last four games.

Now with a full camp and some work he might become more but the fact is Maybin walked the streets in 2011 for three weeks until the Jets picked him back up. No team in the NFL will pay him that type of money so why should the Jets? 600K is what I'm paying him and he'll take it because no one else wants him and the Jets need the other million to spend elsewhere. If he has a nice 2012 then a better 2013 deal would be in the works but not right now.

so you actually think the Jets should cut a player who got 6 sacks last season on a defensive front seven with a huge pass rush problem because he might earn 1.6 million of the projected 121 (probably 130 when it finally gets set) salary cap??

so you actually think the Jets should cut a player who got 6 sacks last season on a defensive front seven with a huge pass rush problem because he might earn 1.6 million of the projected 121 (probably 130 when it finally gets set) salary cap??
wait now some poster is complaining about paying 1 million of the cap for the starting LG?

Why don't I explain. I've said repeatedly in this post that I agree Slauson is a bargain, you can go back and look. If the Jets had more Slauson like contracts they would be better off but they don't. The fact is the Jets FO had so much money $91 million tied up in 13 players. The Jets are up against the cap tight, in fact they are over the cap.

All the money that has been added this week has not helped. The team has needs and is getting old. Hunter was supposed to have his cap number lessened, if not be released, but instead his salary is guaranteed. They are going to have to play hard ball with someone to try and create cap space. Here are the raises; Slauson $800k, Greene $50K, Keller $2 million, DeVito $300k and Patrick Turner resigned $615K the total $3.765 million 2012 cap charge. The Jets have 13 URFA, 3 RFA, and 2 ERFA, obviously they will not keep all of them but Pouha, for one, will not come cheap and he seems to be the biggest priority. The Jets may be forced to cut or trade someone to stay under the cap. Why do you think their shopping Keller around?

Aaron Maybin had 6 sacks, not 16, oh and how many did he have in the last four games, zero. He came in only on passing downs and was always sent after the QB, frankly he should have had more then 6. Maybin is a speed rusher that's it. Once some film on Maybin got out he was done. I would see him running 20 yards up field because tackles knew he was going outside. When he stunted inside he got eaten up, just look at the Victor Cruz TD when Maybin stunted inside and went nowhere. Now I like Maybin he tries hard but let's say the Jets draft Upshaw are you taking him out for Maybin? The fact is who has leverage here the Jets or Maybin? You think teams are going to offer him more the $600K, if they do, I say let him walk. Why pay so much for a part-time player $1.6 million, did he even play in the Denver game? Sorry I'd rather put the money somewhere else, like resigning Leonhard maybe.

The bottom line is you can go to NYJETSCAP page and research this yourself but there is opportunity cost every time NFL team spend money. Teams have limited resources and the Jets are very limited. The Jets need to sign their 2012 draft class along with other FA. I just don't know how they can continue to lessen cap space and fill the many holes on htis team.

Here is some news on the 2012 potential salary cap there is no increase:

"According to Charley Casserly, on Sunday's CBS pre-game show, the NFL sent a Grinch like message to all NFL teams last week, that the 2012 salary cap will not increase, or at best only increase very, very slightly"

The NFL's salary cap will be essentially flat in 2012, staying in the range of $120 million.

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1lztRQtCY

The Jets are already $3 million over the 2012 cap and now with the salary incentive raises that puts them more over the cap. Here are the raises; Slauson $800k, Greene $50K, Keller $2 million, DeVito $300k and Patrick Turner resigned $615K. The total $3.765 million add that to the $3 million already over the cap and you have to sign FA like Pouha the carry over is gone.

The forum post are often about NFL free agents and draft picks we'd all like to see as Jets but right now the Jets have little if no cap room. My question is "Who is taking a pay cut?"

Best shot at significant cap relief is trading Cromartie or Keller.

Doubt we're going to find many willing to take a pay cut they don't have to take.

He's a solid jag but that's jag money and well deserved. Part of me would prefer an all out Dominant OL but whatever. He's not going anywhere as he's probably a good deal/value still at 1.3.

Well Maybin is restricted so do you tender him and how high? If the Jets don't tender him they could match other offers. Do you risk having another team offer more then $1.3 milion to him?

He's a solid jag but that's jag money and well deserved. Part of me would prefer an all out Dominant OL but whatever. He's not going anywhere as he's probably a good deal/value still at 1.3.

There's nothing wrong with a competent JAG at guard spot at reasonable money.

A RT getting big bucks doing a bad job...that's a problem.

As to cap room, didn't a certain team in green end the season with between $8 and 10 million of open cap room which could help out on 2012?

There's nothing wrong with a competent JAG at guard spot at reasonable money.

A RT getting big bucks doing a bad job...that's a problem.

As to cap room, didn't a certain team in green end the season with between $8 and 10 million of open cap room which could help out on 2012?

Please excuse my ignorance but what does jag mean?

Here's where the $8 million 2011 cap room carry over is now:

The Jets are already $3 million over the 2012 cap and now with the salary incentive raises that puts them more over the cap. Here are the raises; Slauson $800k, Greene $50K, Keller $2 million, DeVito $300k and Patrick Turner resigned $615K. The total $3.765 million add that to the $3 million already over the cap and you have to sign FA like Pouha the $8 million carry over is gone.

Is anyone really worried about a cap problem? With Tannenbaum at GM has money every really been an issue? If anything they've been hurt by not being allowed to spend on FAs the past couple of offseasons.

Well the Jets did try for Nnamdi Asoumugha last year's biggest free agent. The jets are about even with the cap right now. They will have to get cap relief from restructured contracts or cuts/trades. So I guess we'll see if Tanny is a real "cap genius"? They will need about $5 million for their draft class so whatever is left can be used on free agents.

cap numbers as of February 10 are completely useless

Once the teams are allowed to make moves such as releases of deadwood -- Hi Bryan Thomas -- and restructures of existing players contracts- the Jets will probably be in the area of 15 million or more below the cap

Another big factor (for not gettting all alarmed) is that the new CBA includes that rookie salary cap -- so that no team (including the Jets) will have to spend the formerely exhorbitant amount of cap space on untried and unproven college players

Well Maybin is restricted so do you tender him and how high? If the Jets don't tender him they could match other offers. Do you risk having another team offer more then $1.3 milion to him?

Well the difference is $1.3M guarantees his return. No one's matching that and giving up the draft pick on top of that. In Maybin's case I think it's a 2nd rounder (highest a team can recover if he is tagged with the lowest RFA tender) even though he was originally drafted in round 1. Or that's the way it used to be.

The other thing to consider is, slimy as the practice may be, that we can renegotiate right before the final cutdowns at the end of the summer. RFA tenders aren't guaranteed like franchise tags. We did it with Clemens 2 years ago, as was well-documented on Hard Knocks. Pretty shameful practice and one the NFLPA should have put up a bigger fight over. Nothing wrong with the tag, but if you're going to tag him and he signs it you should have to pay him (or at least pay half of the tender amount or something).

Given Tannenbaum's willingness to do it in the past, I'd say that there's a good chance he does this. Maybin will have the choice of taking the guaranteed lesser amount for the season (10 minutes before final cutdowns) or take his chances that someone else will sign him for more and keep him on their roster for the season. Maybin would be in a better position than Clemens was, probably, just because teams keep more LBers than QBs and unlike a 3rd string QB he could contribute on special teams every week.

So that's my prediction, unless he somehow earns a starting role - or at least a more significant one than last year - over this summer. In that case they'll just leave the tender alone as-is. We'll see what happens.

cap numbers as of February 10 are completely useless

Once the teams are allowed to make moves such as releases of deadwood -- Hi Bryan Thomas -- and restructures of existing players contracts- the Jets will probably be in the area of 15 million or more below the cap

Another big factor (for not gettting all alarmed) is that the new CBA includes that rookie salary cap -- so that no team (including the Jets) will have to spend the formerely exhorbitant amount of cap space on untried and unproven college players

It looks like the Jets can create the $15 million or more in 2012 cap space. Tannenbaum may guarantee money in 2013/14 that he takes away in 2012 to make room. I’m sure they will work things so they can sign their draft class, probably $5 million, and any current FA they really need. Thomas is an unrestricted FA so he doesn’t count against the cap.

Like Edwards said the Jets may tender Maybin at a 2nd but he really isn’t worth it so they may need to play hard ball to get his number down same with other guys. Nickels and dimes add up when you increase salaries or decrease them. Take Ducasse the Jets should get around $300K back from him, not much, but if you get a few like that it adds up.

I think my point is the way the Jets built the team in the past has lead to the tough spot they are in now. As a team they’re in transition and need to use a different building strategy. The Jets need to build through the draft this year because, Mario Williams, Matt Forte, LaRon Landry are not coming to the Jets. The Jets will not be able to afford many luxuries this year and have to compete with other teams with more cap room for certain players. The Nnamdi Asoumugha’s of the world are probably out of reach they’ll have to be frugal with free agents and have a great draft.

Let’s get some younger, cheaper, and more athletic players here to push these high priced ‘deadwood’ out and set the team up for the future as well.

one really good reason why the Jets and all the other NFL teams will make moves to defer cap to 2013/14 is that the impact on revenues of the new explosively increased league TV contracts will first begin to affect the salary cap for that season and those after. It's been reported that the cap could increase to something in the area of 150K per team for the 2013 season and then go up from there

Archived