Sanchez Sends Holmes Valentine?

flgreen

Mark Sanchez knows the way to Santonio Holmes’ heart

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 15, 2012, 9:18 AM EST

shortbread.jpg?w=250

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez’s first tweet since the Jets’ regular season meltdown was a weird one.

santonio10 you want to be my Valentine?” Sanchez wrote to his temperamental wide receiver Santonio Holmes, complete with the picture to the right.

Cookies are nice, but Holmes would probably prefer a well-thrown deep ball.

Maybe most of Holmes' issues last year were more being pissed at Schotty than Sanchez? It's certainly a possibility. Maybe in those infamous meetings Holmes and Sanchez were getting into it because Sanchez was going over the game plan that Schotty designed and that's what frustrated Holmes. Sanchez has always been the good soldier so he was probably defending Schotty which pissed of Holmes even more. Now that Schotty's gone, maybe that helps the Sanchez/Holmes relationship.

Granted, I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't shock me if that was the case.

It also suggests that the rift probably isn't as bad as the media's made it out to be.

I don't think so. How many times have Rex and Tanny said they should work it out? They have no choice but to try and work it out. When the person writing your check tells you to do something, you usually do it. Unless it is during the season, then you freak out and turn on all of your teammates. The fact they have kept Sanchez and Holmes under lock and key since the season ended is pretty good evidence they were just waiting for the fire to die down a bit. I have no doubts the rift was pretty bad and not just with Mark, but with several teammates. But it has been about 4 weeks and time helps to heal all ills, hopefully. Remember, Holmes was a problem since at least week 4, it didn't just happen in the last game. Once Sanchez has his first game with a QBR of .6, the Santonio we all know and love will come back.

Wayne Hunter didn't yell at Holmes to get off the field because of how he felt about Schotty, he did it because he didn't want Holmes on the field with himself and the team. Every problem on the team was not Schotty's fault. It is just too easy to place all the blame on him and just say everything will be ok because he is gone now.

I don't think so. How many times have Rex and Tanny said they should work it out? They have no choice but to try and work it out. When the person writing your check tells you to do something, you usually do it. Unless it is during the season, then you freak out and turn on all of your teammates. The fact they have kept Sanchez and Holmes under lock and key since the season ended is pretty good evidence they were just waiting for the fire to die down a bit. I have no doubts the rift was pretty bad and not just with Mark, but with several teammates. But it has been about 4 weeks and time helps to heal all ills, hopefully. Remember, Holmes was a problem since at least week 4, it didn't just happen in the last game. Once Sanchez has his first game with a QBR of .6, the Santonio we all know and love will come back.

Wayne Hunter didn't yell at Holmes to get off the field because of how he felt about Schotty, he did it because he didn't want Holmes on the field with himself and the team. Every problem on the team was not Schotty's fault. It is just too easy to place all the blame on him and just say everything will be ok because he is gone now.

NO. It's all Schotty's Fault.

So far, the following have been found to be the responsibility of Brian Schottenheimer:

Out of control inflation

the housing market crisis

global warming

starvation in Africa

poverty worldwide

the last 4 recessions

Whitney Houston's demise

hemorrhoids

and Justin Bieber.

NO. It's all Schotty's Fault.

So far, the following have been found to be the responsibility of Brian Schottenheimer:

Out of control inflation

the housing market crisis

global warming

starvation in Africa

poverty worldwide

the last 4 recessions

Whitney Houston's demise

hemorrhoids

and Justin Bieber.

Umm, no - just the Jets offense sucking. That's all he's truly been responsible for. Well, that and I guess we could add the Chargers offense with some scrub named Drew Brees.

Wow, you extrapolated a lot from my one sentence, most of which wasn't even remotely suggested.

I think the fact that Sanchez feels comfortable enough to do this suggests one of two things: 1. The rift was never as bad as the media suggested or 2. They've already ironed things out to the point that Sanchez can joke around with each Holmes publicly and not worry about Santoni being a dick about it or taking it the wrong way.

Wow, you extrapolated a lot from my one sentence, most of which wasn't even remotely suggested.

I think the fact that Sanchez feels comfortable enough to do this suggests one of two things: 1. The rift was never as bad as the media suggested or 2. They've already ironed things out to the point that Sanchez can joke around with each Holmes publicly and not worry about Santoni being a dick about it or taking it the wrong way.

Or 3. Sanchez is a doofy nerd with a desperate need for approval and a sub-Asperger's ability to read the intentions and emotions of others and the rift is hopelessly unbridgable because 3.a. he sucks at football and 3.b. Holmes is a dick.

Or 3. Sanchez is a doofy nerd with a desperate need for approval and a sub-Asperger's ability to read the intentions and emotions of others and the rift is hopelessly unbridgable because 3.a. he sucks at football and 3.b. Holmes is a dick.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on the bolded part of your post.

Umm, no - just the Jets offense sucking. That's all he's truly been responsible for. Well, that and I guess we could add the Chargers offense with some scrub named Drew Brees.

I hear that TO THIS DAY Drew Brees will say that Schottenheimer f'd up his first 4 years in the NFL. No doubt Sanchez will be saying the same...No doubt at all.

Except "the media" has consistently quoted sources--anonymous and otherwise--who have pointed to the rift between Sanchez and Holmes. There was really no hyperbole necessary beyond what Tomlinson, etc explicitly pointed out.

Archived