Jets Thinking Big ?

flgreen

Kiper's mock: Jets thinking big

February, 17, 2012

Feb 17

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Mel Kiper's mock draft, the 2.0 version, is up. He projects the Jets (16th overall) to pick Georgia G Cordy Glenn (6-5, 346). His explanation:

The Jets like to bill themselves as a ball control team on offense, able to run to set up the pass, and put away games with physical play up front. Well, it's hard to do that if you're 29th in the NFL in yards per rush, as they were in 2011. With Tony Sparano coming to town, my guess is shoring up the offensive line will be a priority (just as it was with his last pick in Miami) as the Jets try to get the offense back where they want it. Glenn is a really versatile guy who could probably be adequate at tackle, but could dominate inside. He could start there immediately.

My analysis: A guard is a possibility. LG Matt Slauson is coming off major shoulder surgery and RG Brandon Moore, soon 32, is entering the final year of his contract. The Jets like second-year G Caleb Schlauderaff, but he might be best suited to a Rob Turner-type role. Vladimir Ducasse is a bigger question now than the day he was drafted in the second round.

i cant help but hate this move at 16

If you look at the baffling move they made by picking up the option on Hunter, it kind of makes me think they are going to go RT in the first. Maybe not at 16 though.

I can’t see them signing an expensive FA RT now after paying Hunter 2.5 million. Could very well be that they are going to draft an OL lineman and let Vlad, Hunter, and the rookie fight it out.

If both Upshaw, and Ingram are gone at 16, who else has good value there at a need position?

Happy to have a top-flight OL in the early rounds. I truly believe that star Olineman are more valuable than star RB's or WR's in the long run. They are invlolved in every play, every second of every down. And without a good OL unit, there is no offense. Having said that...the Ducasse reach in round two has haunted us and will continue to haunt us for seasons to come. If you're going that high on an OL, it can't be a "project". Those guys are drafted in rnds 5 and up.

If you look at the baffling move they made by picking up the option on Hunter, it kind of makes me think they are going to go RT in the first. Maybe not at 16 though.

I can’t see them signing an expensive FA RT now after paying Hunter 2.5 million. Could very well be that they are going to draft an OL lineman and let Vlad, Hunter, and the rookie fight it out.

If both Upshaw, and Ingram are gone at 16, who else has good value there at a need position?

I wouldn't put anything past Tannenbaum

Why a strong inside presence??? When was that our issue???

Yeah. I have a hard time seeing them go guard, unless it's DeCastro. I was thinking more along the lines of Mike Adams.

Like always, it depends how the draft falls. If Ingram, or Upshaw are there, I jump on them. Just don't think so

yeah thats true... i really don't know, it will become more clear after the combine.. i just dont a guard that early

No on the guard theres other ways to build the Oline with the base w have in place we would only need one maybe 2 giuys and that can be done in the late round or FA. We shopuld always have a high ranked defense because we have a good defensive coach bring in some young guys in the mid rounds and use the 1st and second rounds to finally get some skill in here on offense

No on the guard theres other ways to build the Oline with the base w have in place we would only need one maybe 2 giuys and that can be done in the late round or FA. We shopuld always have a high ranked defense because we have a good defensive coach bring in some young guys in the mid rounds and use the 1st and second rounds to finally get some skill in here on offense

Skillz position in the first 2 rounds? Who?

Skillz position in the first 2 rounds? Who?

Honestly JIF I dont pay as much attention to the College game as I used to but it would not be a bad idea to get some real speedd threats on offense ,Im not sure who is available but Im sure we have needs at the skill positions. the question is do we draft for need or best available and we wont know that until our pick comes up . Im basicly saying its what I would like to see happen

The Jets should figure out who will be the next UDFA's to become stars playing with good QB's and snatch them up in the draft instead. Our offense would become elite.

Apparently thats the recipe for success.

Honestly JIF I dont pay as much attention to the College game as I used to but it would not be a bad idea to get some real speedd threats on offense ,Im not sure who is available but Im sure we have needs at the skill positions. the question is do we draft for need or best available and we wont know that until our pick comes up . Im basicly saying its what I would like to see happen

Thats my point, just because you need, doesnt mean you draft. I dont like the early round skills players this season...at all.

Sure. Every one would like to get some high skill player here. But who?

If some great player falls, sure. It’s possible that either Ingram, or Upshaw falls, and if so take them. I didn’t think either Wilkerson, or Wilson was going to fall to us the last two years. Ya never know.

If all the skill players are gone, and this isn’t a really strong draft, than you take the BPA at a need position.

I wouldn’t be stunned to see the Jets trade out of 16 if someone is willing to move up, and take an OL later in the first.

looking historically (last 15 years)

the Jets are most likely to pick a DL in rd 1. 2nd most likely to pick a CB, 3rd most likely to pick an OL. that's the raw percentages, not my opinion.

there are many mocks that have them taking a RB, WR, LB, S, it's possible but unlikely.

looking historically (last 15 years)

the Jets are most likely to pick a DL in rd 1. 2nd most likely to pick a CB, 3rd most likely to pick an OL. that's the raw percentages, not my opinion.

there are many mocks that have them taking a RB, WR, LB, S, it's possible but unlikely.

RB--If Richardson is there sure. WR-- I just don't see any game changer WR's that will be there at 16. LB--Ingram, or Upshaw I'm good with. S----What a waste that would be.

IMO it will either be Ingram, or Upshaw, (that's my hope) a trade out, or OL

No way Richardson falls to 16. Not worth trading up for a RB in the top 5 either with all the holes we have to fill on this team. Plus, he is smore of a replacement for Green, at this point I think we need a complimentary speed/shifty type back to compliment Green, which could be Mcknight. This could be a break out year offensively for Mcknight.

It doesn't matter who they draft as long as they get guys that can play. The Jets have so many needs almost any position taken fills a hole. Good old 'Trader Mike’ has gutted the draft so bad in the past the Jets cannot afford big swings and misses this year. How about a third or fourth rounder doing something in 2012 unlike Ellis and Powell last year?

The draft, for the most part, is supposed to be about the future but since the Jets had so few picks over the years it is now about their needs mostly. They need to get like 6 or 7 quality players, not necessarily starters though that would be nice, out of this draft.

No way Richardson falls to 16. Not worth trading up for a RB in the top 5 either with all the holes we have to fill on this team. Plus, he is smore of a replacement for Green, at this point I think we need a complimentary speed/shifty type back to compliment Green, which could be Mcknight. This could be a break out year offensively for Mcknight.

Could LaMichael James drop to 16? If going RB, I would love this pick. No way they go with Nostrakiper's pick. A tackle, OK. A guard, no %$^#ing way!

I am not a big fan of James' prospects in the NFL. He is really small. I wouldn't want to spend our 1st round pick on him. If he fell to the 2nd rd, then maybe. His size really make me apprehensive. He is like a Dexter Mccluster, super talented and quick, but doesn't really do much in the NFL.

I am not a big fan of James' prospects in the NFL. He is really small. I wouldn't want to spend our 1st round pick on him. If he fell to the 2nd rd, then maybe. His size really make me apprehensive. He is like a Dexter Mccluster, super talented and quick, but doesn't really do much in the NFL.

The difference is James, despite currently being a little light by NFL standards, has always run very tough between the tackles. He's not a scat-back and should put on additional muscle at the pro level. No way he lasts until the middle of the second round. My bet is he beats the "too small" rap as a pro, just as he has throughout his career.

The difference is James, despite currently being a little light by NFL standards, has always run very tough between the tackles. He's not a scat-back and should put on additional muscle at the pro level. No way he lasts until the middle of the second round. My bet is he beats the "too small" rap as a pro, just as he has throughout his career.

James has like a 3-4 grade the Jets better not take him with 1 or 2.

I have looked at several mock drafts over the last few days and none of them have James going in the first rd. In fact, in pretty much every mock so far Richardson is the only RB taken in the first round. James is ranked as the 5th best RB in this years class, so that means there will most likely be 3-4 more RBs chosen before James in the 2nd round, so it is totally possible he falls to the middle of the second, maybe further, as of now.

Archived