whose that guy to replace Bart Scott with the 1st round pick/

BornJetsFan1983

Dom, half of the quotes are by "NFL scouts and assistants" ... Not that Mayock doesn't have credibility I actually like his know-it-all rhetoric, but he's been wrong before, and he's just reporting what he saw from finally watching some tape of some games.

Maybe. I only saw one attributed to an "NFL coach" who called him a knucklehead. The only other quote I saw attributed to an "NFL scout" was the number of personal foul penalties which is just a stat, not even an analysis. The others were McShay, Mayock and numerous "scouts" and "talent evaluators" who may or may not be with NFL teams, but it's probably just Mayock over and over. I didn't see any other NFL scouts or assistants in the posts. Were there more in the links or other articles you've read?

Vontaze Burfict - LB - Player

Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict ran unofficial forty times of 4.93 and 5.10 at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Burfict slimmed down before the Combine, weighing in at 248 pounds, but it didn't help him at all in workouts. He bombed his media interview and the forty-yard dash, and his game tape was unimpressive in 2011, by all accounts. Burfict is headed for a potentially monster draft-day slide.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Maybe. I only saw one attributed to an "NFL coach" who called him a knucklehead. The only other quote I saw attributed to an "NFL scout" was the number of personal foul penalties which is just a stat, not even an analysis. The others were McShay, Mayock and numerous "scouts" and "talent evaluators" who may or may not be with NFL teams, but it's probably just Mayock over and over. I didn't see any other NFL scouts or assistants in the posts. Were there more in the links or other articles you've read?

I really don't feel like debating the merits of a player I'm not completely sold on--especially not one who does have so much bad tape. but it is a slow Monday. So here goes. Dumb penalties will piss anyone off. Coaches, players, fans...and Burfict was flagged for a record-setting number of them. But it's because he is, (for lack of a better word) "thuggish". It's not just sh*t-talking; he makes physical threats to intimidate his opponent, and then fulfills them. He's a dirty, dirty player...and when you play like that the refs are going to take notice and be sensitive to everything you do. I'm not saying his penalities weren't justified, but some were just ticky-tacky bullsh*t flags because of his reputation; and It doesn't help when you constantly talk sh*t to the refs. I read about one play where he noticed the defense wasn't lined up correctly so he literally knocked over a ref to cause a timeout.

He's not going to score well on the Wonderlic, and It wouldn't surprise me if he's illiterate or dsylexic.

But the kid would run head-first through a brick wall...and when he's on the field, he commands attention.

He needs to be on a defense that will be easy to understand, and someone who will line him up on EVERY play.

I really don't feel like debating the merits of a player I'm not completely sold on--especially not one who does have so much bad tape. but it is a slow Monday. So here goes. Dumb penalties will piss anyone off. Coaches, players, fans...and Burfict was flagged for a record-setting number of them. But it's because he is, (for lack of a better word) "thuggish". It's not just sh*t-talking; he makes physical threats to intimidate his opponent, and then fulfills them. He's a dirty, dirty player...and when you play like that the refs are going to take notice and be sensitive to everything you do. I'm not saying his penalities weren't justified, but some were just ticky-tacky bullsh*t flags because of his reputation; and It doesn't help when you constantly talk sh*t to the refs. I read about one play where he noticed the defense wasn't lined up correctly so he literally knocked over a ref to cause a timeout.

He's not going to score well on the Wonderlic, and It wouldn't surprise me if he's illiterate or dsylexic.

But the kid would run head-first through a brick wall...and when he's on the field, he commands attention.

He needs to be on a defense that will be easy to understand, and someone who will line him up on EVERY play.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. I just didn't see anything much of substance coming from legit team sources. When they say talent evaluator it could mean anything. 4.9 and 5.1 basically drop him like a stone. I didn't like him too early, but thought he'd be a decent replacement for Scott. With those times he'll need to be pulled on near any passing down. Maybe he's hurt and will improve at his pro day.

I don't really disagree with anything you said. I just didn't see anything much of substance coming from legit team sources. When they say talent evaluator it could mean anything. 4.9 and 5.1 basically drop him like a stone. I didn't like him too early, but thought he'd be a decent replacement for Scott. With those times he'll need to be pulled on near any passing down. Maybe he's hurt and will improve at his pro day.

God, I hope not. I want to get him as cheaply as possible.

fwiw, Brandon Spikes was a 2nd round pick, he ran a 5.0 forty and had a slower 10-yard split (1.70 to 1.75).

Burfict isn't a world beater, he's a thumper...and I have him rated higher than Anthony Schlegel, who I believe was the last ILB this team has drafted.

I get that this is your opinion, but there is no evidence at all that he will fall that far. He is a first round graded player by basically every single draftnik on the internet...He has some character concerns, but it is still much more likely that he ends up blowing up the combine and going in the top 20.

some character issues. this guy would be in jail if he didn't play football and he probably still will end up in jail at some point of his life.

• 3 weeks later...

• The pro-day events for the week have concluded.

At Arizona State, the downward spiral continues for linebacker Vontaze Burfict. The one-time highly rated linebacker, who struggled through a disappointing 2011 campaign then ran poorly at the combine, looked no better today. Scouts thought Burfict looked poorly conditioned and out-of-place in drills. He was not smooth changing direction, dropped passes in drills and generally looked like a free agent compared to the first-round pick most predicted just six months ago. Several scouts said they felt bad for Burfict, who'll have another chance to redeem himself on March 30.

The Arizona State pro day had some of the excitement taken out of the event, as quarterback Brock Osweiler won't be throwing for scouts until March 30, the same day linebacker Vontaze Burfict will run again and try to improve on his 40 time of 5.00 seconds from the combine. Burfict reportedly completed 16 reps on the bench this morning.

http://www.cnnsi.com...?sct=nfl_t2_a17

Archived