Pennington imparting wisdom to Sanchez?

Pac

Regardless of which QB sucks worse, I'm not sure Pennington has anything remotely resembling "wisdom" to impart to anyone.

What a load of horsecrap.. Just because you have an inexplicable hatred (which is mostly contrived) for Pennington, you can't dispute the fact that he's a smart dude. His intelligence and savvy are what kept him in the league despite his physical limitations.

I've used the analogy before but who would win in a match between Tiger Woods and Butch Harmon? Just because Tiger would destroy him doesn't mean Butch can't teach him how to be a better golfer.

I'll tell you this much.. Chad would have put Holmes in his place last year once he started getting lippy.. Put Penningtons brain and swag in Sanchez and we'd have one hell of a QB.

What a load of horsecrap.. Just because you have an inexplicable hatred (which is mostly contrived) for Pennington, you can't dispute the fact that he's a smart dude. His intelligence and savvy are what kept him in the league despite his physical limitations.

I've used the analogy before but who would win in a match between Tiger Woods and Butch Harmon? Just because Tiger would destroy him doesn't mean Butch can't teach him how to be a better golfer.

I'll tell you this much.. Chad would have put Holmes in his place last year once he started getting lippy.. Put Penningtons brain and swag in Sanchez and we'd have one hell of a QB.

There's really no evidence that exists for him being a "smart dude", or at least any more so than every other NFL QB. The only reason it's been repeated so often is people like you using it as an excuse for why you think he's great despite his endless sucking. If you combined Pennington's brain and Sanchez's body, you'd have a QB who inaccurately threw checkdowns on every play and, after not hitting the broad side of a barn for the entire first quarter, would manage to actually play even worse if ever expected to lead a comeback of any sort.

There's really no evidence that exists for him being a "smart dude", or at least any more so than every other NFL QB. The only reason it's been repeated so often is people like you using it as an excuse for why you think he's great despite his endless sucking. If you combined Pennington's brain and Sanchez's body, you'd have a QB who inaccurately threw checkdowns on every play and, after not hitting the broad side of a barn for the entire first quarter, would manage to actually play even worse if ever expected to lead a comeback of any sort.

Rhodes scholar candidate?

Rhodes scholar candidate?

Scholastic award that favors athletics and community service. Typically there are roughly 80 finalists nominated by their own university.

He scored the same Wonderlic as Big Ben and below Cutler, Freeman, Flacco, Orton, Ryan, Quinn, Losman, Edwards, Bradford, Romo, Frye, Stafford, Eli, Smith, Brady, Both Mannings, and Fitzpatrick. He was one point better than JaMarcus Russel.

Not saying he's stupid by any means, but the idea that he possessed some intelligence that other players at the position do not have is silly.

Scholastic award that favors athletics and community service. Typically there are roughly 80 finalists nominated by their own university.

He scored the same Wonderlic as Big Ben and below Cutler, Freeman, Flacco, Orton, Ryan, Quinn, Losman, Edwards, Bradford, Romo, Frye, Stafford, Eli, Smith, Brady, Both Mannings, and Fitzpatrick. He was one point better than JaMarcus Russel.

Not saying he's stupid by any means, but the idea that he possessed some intelligence that other players at the position do not have is silly.

No one here would have the ability to say anything about his football "smarts". You would have to sit with him in a film study and listen to him analyze plays. You would have to witness him process an offensive scheme.

While we as fans are somewhat privy to watching a critiquing physical play on the field, to pretend to understand the ability of a player to process the game and impart wisdom related to game play, without ever having heard the player do this is downright arrogant and idiotic.

No one here has any idea how Pennington can speak to the game.

No one here would have the ability to say anything about his football "smarts". You would have to sit with him in a film study and listen to him analyze plays. You would have to witness him process an offensive scheme.

While we as fans are somewhat privy to watching a critiquing physical play on the field, to pretend to understand the ability of a player to process the game and impart wisdom related to game play, without ever having heard the player do this is downright arrogant and idiotic.

No one here has any idea how Pennington can speak to the game.

I'm sure he can "speak to the game" fine. The point is, there's literally nothing we've seen that says he's this special intellect that stands out above other NFL QBs.

I'm sure he can "speak to the game" fine. The point is, there's literally nothing we've seen that says he's this special intellect that stands out above other NFL QBs.

As well there is literally nothing that there is nothing that says it is "below" other qb's.

We just don't know. Personally, as in any profession, I think it is best to talk with as many people as you can. It is up to the individual to ferret out what they feel is pertinent to them. The more you can expose yourself to others that have worked your craft, regardless their success, regardless their Wonderlic score, the better for that individual.

As well there is literally nothing that there is nothing that says it is "below" other qb's.

We just don't know. Personally, as in any profession, I think it is best to talk with as many people as you can. It is up to the individual to ferret out what they feel is pertinent to them. The more you can expose yourself to others that have worked your craft, regardless their success, regardless their Wonderlic score, the better for that individual.

The difference is, I'm not sure anyone is really arguing that he's below average in intelligence. Rather, it's his never-ending fan club that is always touting his vastly superior intellect as his most immeasurably awesome trait (of which there are apparently many). It's just that some of us take issue with these constant statements of supposed "facts" that have absolutely no evidence to support them whatsoever.

The difference is, I'm not sure anyone is really arguing that he's below average in intelligence. Rather, it's his never-ending fan club that is always touting his vastly superior intellect as his most immeasurably awesome trait (of which there are apparently many). It's just that some of us take issue with these constant statements of supposed "facts" that have absolutely no evidence to support them whatsoever.

Incorrect assumptions go both ways.

If Sanchez is able to glean any type of information regarding:

-What is Sparano's approach to qb leadership on the field and in the huddle

-What does Sparano like to see in a leader

-What are Sparano's offensive tendencies

-etc.

Any information regarding those types of points gets Sanchez ahead of the game, thinking forward and is beneficial to the team. No harm, no foul. Hopefully, it shows a focused Sanchez.

Only good can come out of it

Incorrect assumptions go both ways.

If Sanchez is able to glean any type of information regarding:

-What is Sparano's approach to qb leadership on the field and in the huddle

-What does Sparano like to see in a leader

-What are Sparano's offensive tendencies

-etc.

Any information regarding those types of points gets Sanchez ahead of the game, thinking forward and is beneficial to the team. No harm, no foul. Hopefully, it shows a focused Sanchez.

Only good can come out of it

There's literally no correlation to what you stated here and any evidence whatsoever that Chad is any more or less intelligent than any other QB that steps under center in the NFL. I can at least understand this stance you outlined here, even if I may completely disagree with it. The truth is I want Chad nowhere near Sanchez, and it has nothing to do with his intelligence level, and everything to do with my absolute disagreement with every way Chad handles the QB position. There is no single QB I would want the Jets QB, be it Sanchez or anyone else, modeling themselves after than ole Penny boy. Bottom line is it's my own personal opinion on the matter, and I don't need to fabricate any nonsense about superior intellect to justify it.

There's literally no correlation to what you stated here and any evidence whatsoever that Chad is any more or less intelligent than any other QB that steps under center in the NFL. I can at least understand this stance you outlined here, even if I may completely disagree with it. The truth is I want Chad nowhere near Sanchez, and it has nothing to do with his intelligence level, and everything to do with my absolute disagreement with every way Chad handles the QB position. There is no single QB I would want the Jets QB, be it Sanchez or anyone else, modeling themselves after than ole Penny boy. Bottom line is it's my own personal opinion on the matter, and I don't need to fabricate any nonsense about superior intellect to justify it.

I made no assertion to the relative intelligence of one Chad Pennington, other than saying the truth-none of us here are qualified to make statements about it.

The "gloomers" want to have it all their way. Imagine the uproar if there was a headline "Sanchez declines opportunity to meet with Pennington to chat about new boss"

See, Sanchez doesn't care about football, he has other priorities. At the very least, Sanchez could have accelerated his understanding from a QB perspective of the offense.

One can't win in that game.

You are certainly correct that there are three other qualifications for a Rhodes Scholar finalist,but the primary requirement is Academic achievement.

The answer was given to the statement "There's really no evidence that exists for him being a "smart dude""

Being a Rhodes Scholar finalist is certainly proof that he is a "Smart Dude" As you mentioned, there are only 80 awarded globally, Oxford isn't "The U"

Pennington may not be an All Pro QB, but he is certainly a "smart dude. Comparing the Wonderlic to a Rhodes Scholar is a bit of a reach no?

The truth is I want Chad nowhere near Sanchez, and it has nothing to do with his intelligence level, and everything to do with my absolute disagreement with every way Chad handles the QB position.

ACM lament # 144...

Just because I can't throw a ball 90 MPH doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to teach my son the proper technique to maximize his potential.

This notion that Chad would want to create a clone of himself on the field is absurd.

ACM lament # 144...

Just because I can't throw a ball 90 MPH doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to teach my son the proper technique to maximize his potential.

This notion that Chad would want to create a clone of himself on the field is absurd.

There's certainly a chance that could be the case, but I had such an issue with just about everything Chad did for so long, the last thing I want is him being back anywhere near this team or its players again. I have seen nothing out of him that gives me any reason to believe he would be any better of a teacher for Sanchez than any other veteran QB or coach, including Sanchez's best buddy these past two years, Brunell. For a guy who was so incapable of admitting his own faults, and was always impressed with his own crappy performances (e.g., "outside of one or two passes..."), I'd rather not take the risk of him teaching anyone to be more like him.

I think it's fine that he talks to Sanchez. Doesn't mean much to be honest. My point is more about this idea that he has any business being a QB coach or anything more than just another conversation with someone's who's been there.

ACM lament # 144...

The notion he wants to help is absurd. Remember the way he treated Henne getting benched for him? Remember how he literally did nothing to help Kellen Clemens? He'd never talk to him on the sidelines.

I could see Chad grandstanding Sanchez thinking he could do better because beneath it all, Chad is an ego maniac and it would be a priviledge for Sanchez to learn from him. That would be his approach and it would be a disaster.

I think it's fine that he talks to Sanchez. Doesn't mean much to be honest. My point is more about this idea that he has any business being a QB coach or anything more than just another conversation with someone's who's been there.

Personally, I have no interest in him being a qb coach.

If he has some ideas on how a QB relates to Sparano and his offense, I think that is great.

There is really not more than it can be. This is much ado about nothing. other than those to just want to beat the same dead horse.

I don't know that Wonderlic scores are obviously transferable to football smarts, but Pennington scored significantly lower (25) than many you mentioned like Stafford and Eli and Romo (all 37-39) and Fitzpatrick (48).

BTW, Sanchez (28) scored higher on his Wonderlic than Pennington.

In fact, I think you can rule-out Wonderlic scores as having a significant relation to football smarts when Kellen Clemens (35) scores significantly higher than Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (28 each).

Honestly from a football standpoint the wonderlic test is a freakin joke. IQ tests in general are a joke ...Yes some people are smarter than others but most of it comes down to putting in the work. A lazy genius is not going to fair as well as a hard working average person . What makes a guy like Peyton Manning a great QB ? Sure hes smart and has the Physical tools but hes also known for the hard work he puts into film study which is the difference between being good and great IMHO. Some of the best teachers when it comes to sports were not very good at the game itself or we would see a lot more superstars in the coaching field how many HOF Players are currently head coaches in the NFL ? How many are even coaches at any level ? These arguements are pointless because the only way to judge these type of situations is from actual performance.

maybe our little guy is growing up ?

Quarterback Mark Sanchez is learning the New York Jets' new offense from one of the Jets' old quarterbacks -- Chad Pennington.

Sanchez met Pennington in South Florida recently for a crash course in Tony Sparano's offense, ESPNNewYork.com confirmed. Pennington brought an old Miami Dolphins playbook and began teaching the system and terminology to Sanchez. The two quarterbacks met more than once for classroom-type sessions.

Sanchez reached out to Pennington because, under the new collective bargaining agreement, players aren't allowed to meet with their coaches and discuss football until April 16 -- the start of the offseason program.

Sparano was hired Jan. 11 to replace offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Instead of waiting around for three months, Sanchez took the initiative.

Pennington, unceremoniously released by the Jets before the 2008 season, signed immediately with the Dolphins and directed Sparano's offense in 2008 and 2009. Pennington played brilliantly in 2008, leading Miami to the AFC East title.

Pennington, 35, who worked last season as an NFL game analyst for FOX Sports, has a home in South Florida. He missed last season because of major knee surgery and is considering retirement after a career filled with several shoulder injuries.

Interestingly, Pennington's former backup in Miami -- Chad Henne -- is on the Jets' free-agent radar, according to sources. The Jets are looking for a veteran to back up Sanchez. Obviously, Henne would be a fit because of familiarity with Sparano's system.

Pennington, unceremoniously released by the Jets before the 2008 season

I resent this. There was plenty of ceremony. Wailing and gnashing of teeth among the terminally stupid. Dancing and singing and La Marseillaise among those of us with a brain. Come on.

Archived