Vontaze Burfict

BroadwayJ667

So I've seen a fair bit of people riding this guys jock. I was one of them until I started looking at the film. There are a lot of highlight hits, but there are way too many misses.

Today at the combine he was a major disaster. For a guy that has been questioned for his discipline and consistency he has done nothing to dispute those claims.

Numbers from the combine today. 5.09 40yd dash, 30 inch vertical, and 8'7" broad jump. All of these numbers are sub-par.

Now I'll break down the film for you and show you the real problem

1st play. No real impact on the play, the interior collapsed on the runner, he helped finish off the pile

2nd play. Recognizes the hole, and direction of the runner well. Beats the blocker to the hole, but gets sloppy with his footwork and can only offer an arm tackle.

3rd play. Waits for the play to come to him. Ole's the blocker, of all things and makes a pitiful diving attempt at the tackle. Runner gains extra yards.

4th play. Sheds the blocker, and sees the runner. Does not square up the runner and gets sideways to him. Is able to make a weak attempt at the tackle.

5th play. Taken out by the fullback.

6th play. Good job recognizing screen. Gets chipped by a low blower but is able to defeat the block. Ball carrier dropped the ball hustles to the play.

7th play. Recognizes a delayed run. Stays home in the middle. A bit hesitant to explode into the runner. Second player to make contact, wrestles runner to the ground.

Field goal attempt: Offsides penalty

8th play. Man coverage. Finds his man covers well, qb sacked

9th play. Run to his side. Fights through a couple blockers, but runner gains three yards before contact.

10th play. Sits in zone, no impact on play.

11th play. Takes on blocker 5 yards downfield. Takes wrong shoulder to attack the blocker, runner runs opposite side and gains more yards.

12th play. Recognizes cut back run. Shadows the runner and finds him, tackles the runner, poor technique allows the runner to slip for another yard or two.

I can keep going but I think you get the point.

I liked the kid but the film does not lie.

Alright Joe,

Just for fun, I guess I'll ride his jock for a while. Should make the Monday go by faster.

1. That offsides penalty was bull-sh*t...and you know it.

2. I respect your analysis, but it's a lil suspect that you stop analyzing him one play before he intercepts the ball (has a 35-yard return)...and then helps Matt Barkely to his feet with a head pat/hug. (Prolly talking smack on his mother at the same time; but it was a visually nice gesture nonetheless).

3. His stat total for that game was 5 tackles, 1 Int.

Nothing to write home about, and perhaps the jury is out (he's not a first-round talent), but he's made enough eye-popping plays for you to take notice, and for guys like you and I to be judging his worth. Call it for what he is, he's a 2nd-4th round prospect who "plummeted" out of a round he had no business being in, anyway.

from this clip only:

bad

1. does not get off blocks well

2. slow to diagnose

3. waits on the play (and therefore is on his heels when taking on blockers)

4. decent in pass coverage (good recognition in zone) but a bit slow

Good:

1. active in pursuit

2. tackles coming forward and delivers a blow

3. wraps well and doesn't get dragged

overall, he's pretty good. not great.

from this clip only:

bad

1. does not get off blocks well

2. slow to diagnose

3. waits on the play (and therefore is on his heels when taking on blockers)

4. decent in pass coverage (good recognition in zone) but a bit slow

Good:

1. active in pursuit

2. tackles coming forward and delivers a blow

3. wraps well and doesn't get dragged

overall, he's pretty good. not great.

He's a classic thumper, and might even play better if he slowed down a little coming down hill.

It should be noted, also, that in this game McNeil (the wiggly USC RB) showed off some great jukes. Burfict isn't the first to whiff on tackling McNeil.

You know how this works out. Everyone trashes Burfict, he gets drafted in the second round, kicks a$$ for some team, then everybody trashes the Jets for passing on him.

are you "everybody"

Can you imagine if he falls to a 3rd day pick, and the Pats pick him up in say the 6th round, we'd be hearing it for years...lol

I am terribly disappointed in Vontaze today...I thought that he would take the opportunity at the combine to show up in shape and try to stop the negative momentum. I still have not completely given up on this kid, but the red flags are mounting. If he represented good value in the third round, I would still take him seeing as how we are likely going to need to replace Bart Scott after today...

You know how this works out. Everyone trashes Burfict, he gets drafted in the second round, kicks a$$ for some team, then everybody trashes the Jets for passing on him.

Who are you kidding, you'll be the one doing the most bitching about it.

Alright Joe,

Just for fun, I guess I'll ride his jock for a while. Should make the Monday go by faster.

1. That offsides penalty was bull-sh*t...and you know it.

2. I respect your analysis, but it's a lil suspect that you stop analyzing him one play before he intercepts the ball (has a 35-yard return)...and then helps Matt Barkely to his feet with a head pat/hug. (Prolly talking smack on his mother at the same time; but it was a visually nice gesture nonetheless).

3. His stat total for that game was 5 tackles, 1 Int.

Nothing to write home about, and perhaps the jury is out (he's not a first-round talent), but he's made enough eye-popping plays for you to take notice, and for guys like you and I to be judging his worth. Call it for what he is, he's a 2nd-4th round prospect who "plummeted" out of a round he had no business being in, anyway.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted it. I didn't want to write a wall of text. The interesting thing was after i finished he had two or three good plays but then he started to get washed away in blocks again.

I'm rooting for the guy, he has a lot of talent, but I've noticed a lot of people thinking he is the best linebacker. He's not, at least not yet. I'm just trying to be objective and inform people who don't have time to break down film.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Burfict went undrafted at this point.

I've said from the beginning that no one would be calling for us to draft this kid if he didn't have the whole "madman" reputation on the field.

Just because Burfict angrily points at opposing QB's before the snap and throws his cleats at people doesn't mean he's the next Ray Lewis. It means he's a f*cking headcase and his little temper tantrums usually end up hurting his team.

He's also so overly aggressive to the point that he often over-pursues and takes himself completely out of plays.

Anyone who has actually followed Burfict's college career knows it was a joke that he was mentioned as a 1st round pick in the first place. A guy like Dont'a Hightower is miles ahead of Burfict as a prospect.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Burfict went undrafted at this point.

I've said from the beginning that no one would be calling for us to draft this kid if he didn't have the whole "madman" reputation on the field.

Just because Burfict angrily points at opposing QB's before the snap and

throws his cleats at people doesn't mean he's the next Ray Lewis. It means he's a f*cking headcase and his little temper tantrums usually end up hurting his team

He's also so overly aggressive to the point that he often over-pursues and takes himself completely out of plays.

Anyone who has actually followed Burfict's college career knows it was a joke that he was mentioned as a 1st round pick in the first place. A guy like Dont'a Hightower is miles ahead of Burfict as a prospect.

Agreed, although with the Jets due a ton of extra 6th round picks, I could see Rex salivating at Burflict if he's still on the board in the 5th. He fits a Rex player.

Agreed, although with the Jets due a ton of extra 6th round picks, I could see Rex salivating at Burflict if he's still on the board in the 5th. He fits a Rex player.

As a sixth round pick, he's worth the risk. Nobody will fault any team for taking him with a 6th or 7th rounder. No one expects players in those rounds to be significant contributors and only look for gems.

The coach in me wants to work with this guy so bad. I see what he can be, but he just needs a lot of guidance.

As a sixth round pick, he's worth the risk. Nobody will fault any team for taking him with a 6th or 7th rounder. No one expects players in those rounds to be significant contributors and only look for gems.

The coach in me wants to work with this guy so bad. I see what he can be, but he just needs a lot of guidance.

I think Rex will see what he can be, and will think he can reach him.

About time we Drafted a Gem. April can't come fast enough.

• 2 years later...

:biggrin:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports it's a four-year, $20.05 million contract for the Pro Bowl outside linebacker, per a source involved in the process.

Archived