Reggie Nelson Visits The Jets: MERGED

MTJ06

Oh and don't forget a Pass-rusher we have been lucky to be a top 5 defense without those two components

there's no luck about it. Rex schemes pressure. He doesn't need a Demarcus Ware to provide all the pass rush just by rolling out of bed.

fwiw i've heard from Cowboys fans who say a player like Ware is a blessing and a curse, in that the team relies on 1 player to get half of their pressure and it's easy to counter that over the course of a 16 game season. Rex is at least creative, coming up with wierd schemes on cocktail napkins. obviously Rex + Ware would be amazing but they don't need a 20 sack a year pass rusher and they aren't lucky to have been so good without one. It's a different way to build a defense.

most internet posters would take Ware over Revis. I think for Rex it's the other way around. the corner who can shut down in man to man is more important than the pass rusher.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a visit to the Jets, safety Reggie Nelson is close to making a decision and is weighing offers from the Jets, Bengals and a mystery third team. The Bengals talks had been going slow, but the team has raised its offer in the past couple of days and is firmly in the running to re-sign him.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120317/SPT02/303170069/Bengals-sign-Wharton?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Bengals

jets are getting used

god will tell him to stay with the bengals

hope landry's visit goes better

I said that as soon as he left the Jets Facility and took a day to "think" about it.

Absolutely.

It's not a done deal, but the longer it takes, the less likely it happens.

Landry will be nice, but that still leaves us with a hole at FS. Landry and Smith play the same position and neither can cover.

We kind of need Nelson unless we're going to bring back Jim Leonhard.

The mystery teams are usually the team the player signs with. It's usually the team the player wants to sign with all along. Player will just use the public teams to raise the stakes.

Aso and the eagles are a perfect example.

Jets need this guy. not that he's a great player but he is the only cover S available. The next option,(Landry) is a bad choice.

It's not looking good right now. if I'm the Jets I over pay Nelson just to get the position secured. It's also possible there is no mystery team and Nelson's agent is just trying to rape the Jets knowing their need

Is it my imagination or is there any "real" money to get out of Bengals for Reggie? I think they might give him the same or something extra but for me, I would also take into consideration that Jets is a better team and he will have a good chance of playoff time. What I am trying to say is that this should be a no brainer for him. We have a real good D and he would really fill a hole. Why not take the chance and play for a real team?

I hope that he signs and then I hope we can sign Landry on a one year deal, filled with incentives.

Sick all weekend and nothing better to do than to press F5 waiting for Nelson to sign. So please sign godammit!

Is it my imagination or is there any "real" money to get out of Bengals for Reggie? I think they might give him the same or something extra but for me, I would also take into consideration that Jets is a better team and he will have a good chance of playoff time. What I am trying to say is that this should be a no brainer for him. We have a real good D and he would really fill a hole. Why not take the chance and play for a real team?

I hope that he signs and then I hope we can sign Landry on a one year deal, filled with incentives.

Sick all weekend and nothing better to do than to press F5 waiting for Nelson to sign. So please sign godammit!

That may be a consideration for an older player who doesn't have a ring. Most player have a very short shelf life, and have to earn enough money to live well on for the rest of their lives.

They sign where the most money is. We see these contracts and think "ah, what the hell is another $300,000 when he can play on a better team?"

$300,000 buys a lot of toys

That may be a consideration for an older player who doesn't have a ring. Most player have a very short shelf life, and have to earn enough money to live well on for the rest of their lives.

They sign where the most money is. We see these contracts and think "ah, what the hell is another $300,000 when he can play on a better team?"

lol...got to feed the family.

True, but that does the same x amount that he will get in either team. An extra 300k vs playoff?! Also where is the competitor? Doesn´t every athlete want to win? I can understand players chosing top dollar over a better team but this is more of a pocket change vs playoff imo.

For the record I would love 300k a year, guaranteed that is. :)

I just sent Reggie the JetNation logo and told him he can use it as his avatar on Twitter when he signs with the Jets.

Just doing my part in recruiting. :)

I think that's awesome. Let's him know what kind of fan base the Jets have.

Good stuff Max!!

They said expect a decision by tomorrow morning. The sun will set in about 2 hours and still no word. What the **** is taking so long.

I'm with ya. Let's go already! Any news on Landry or Nelson whatsoever????

While you're calling the Bengals "not a real time"... You do realize that Cincinnati had a better record than the Jets last year, right?

While you're calling the Bengals "not a real time"... You do realize that Cincinnati had a better record than the Jets last year, right?

Yes. With that said, I think they are a...lets say less good team. They have some good players for sure but I can´t take them seriously as a team.

Yes. With that said, I think they are a...lets say less good team. They have some good players for sure but I can´t take them seriously as a team.

I can. You know why? QB.

I can. You know why? QB.

That Dalton guy is good! And he has a few fellow friends that also does not stink. But as a team...

Can´t we as good Jets fans help Fins out and trade them the GQ star qb for a 1-2 round pick? They seem to have a real problem finding that star quality qb they need to lure the fans back.

Nelson to Bengals via Shefter on Twitter.

Yup. Just saw it.

We knew that would happen the moment he need "more time". If the money's close, knowing the system and not having to move is big.

This is a bad loss not as much because of the player but because of the hole. Signing Landry doesn't fill the void of cover safety.

Bringing Leonhard back is a bit of a travesty. Shame.

Yup. Just saw it.

We knew that would happen the moment he need "more time". If the money's close, knowing the system and not having to move is big.

This is a bad loss not as much because of the player but because of the hole. Signing Landry doesn't fill the void of cover safety.

Bringing Leonhard back is a bit of a travesty. Shame.

Yep. He's an average Safety but was the best available. You know you're team is ****ed when you can't pull a player away from Cincinnati of all places, this is of course, after they franchised the kicker instead of you. LOL. Really not a good sign.

To everyone that quoted me earlier in this thread bashing my "ridiculous" opinion that Brodney Pool is better than Reggie Nelson, I'm certainly not the only one.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/12/all-free-agent-team/

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/07/pff%e2%80%99s-top-75-free-agents/

Those articles are both from Pro Football Focus, which is a pretty damn credible site.

The grass is not always greener. If you thought Brodney Pool sucked, you would have really been surprised with Reggie Nelson.

next

Jets express interest in free agent safety Oshiomogho Atogwe

BY Manish Mehta

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have expressed interest in free agent safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, who was released by the Redskins last week. The 30-year-old Atogwe spent six seasons with the Rams before being signed by Washington last offseason.

He was limited by knee and hamstring injuries last season in 13 games, including eight starts.

The Jets desperately need safety help after Reggie Nelson spurned them on Sunday by re-signing with the Bengals. Free agents Jarrett Bush and LaRon Landry also visited the Jets this weekend.

Eric Smith is the only safety under contract with significant playing time.

Atogwe, who led the NFC with eight interceptions in 2007, fits the profile of an intelligent safety with cover skills that the Jets are lacking. He's received interested from at least a half dozen teams and will start making visits this week. The Jets have not yet set up a visit.

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

To everyone that quoted me earlier in this thread bashing my "ridiculous" opinion that Brodney Pool is better than Reggie Nelson, I'm certainly not the only one.

http://www.profootba...ree-agent-team/

http://www.profootba...75-free-agents/

Those articles are both from Pro Football Focus, which is a pretty damn credible site.

The grass is not always greener. If you thought Brodney Pool sucked, you would have really been surprised with Reggie Nelson.

Good links...been meaning to post them at some point but you know...general laziness.

If this guy didn't go to the University of Florida and get drafted in the first round, would anyone give a damn who he is? He's slightly above JAG level.

Archived