Reggie Nelson Visits The Jets: MERGED

MTJ06

The Jets safety play was worse than the play of Sanchez in 13 of the 16 games last year. Discuss.

I love the clip of Eric Smith when he won the game against the Broncos last year with those two key tackles. #Tewbow.

Oh wait, that never happened.

The Jets paid Hunter his bonus and are keeping Smith for the sole purpose of having starters on this team who kinda don't make the QB look so bad.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets paid Hunter his bonus and are keeping Smith for the sole purpose of having starters on this team who kinda don't make the QB look so bad.

13 of 16. My detailed analysis confirms this.

Interesting overall even though our signings unconfirmed Chaz S and Nelson means the Jets arnt going all out in round one for a Saftey or even Reciever. Looks like they make just take the BAP?

The other interesting thing is OLB with the Bill picking Super Mario could Ingram now be in striking range?

Interesting overall even though our signings unconfirmed Chaz S and Nelson means the Jets arnt going all out in round one for a Saftey or even Reciever. Looks like they make just take the BAP?

The other interesting thing is OLB with the Bill picking Super Mario could Ingram now be in striking range?

Which BAP do you think they're leaning towards?

b_15676.jpg

Unless it's for RT I gotta lean towards Halle Berry on this one.

Which BAP do you think they're leaning towards?

b_15676.jpg

Lol I don't like the look of yours... But I guess those clubs are pretty dark, and mixed with free flowing Jäger, it's a heady Mixture.

Unless it's for RT I gotta lean towards Halle Berry on this one.

I love the clip of Eric Smith when he won the game against the Broncos last year with those two key tackles. #Tebow.

Oh wait, that never happened.

Would you be so kind as to NOT remind me of that ? GF says I still wake up occasionally screaming "NOOOO !!!" as I watched Smith slant inside as Tebow was left the outside for an east score. #%$@& !

What non-existent game film are you guys watching that tells you Reggie Nelson is good?

"The best safety available in free agency or the draft". I would be lmao if I weren't so sad.

Aaah you win. You're argument is overwhelming. You're right, there are a ton of better Free Agents and 3rd round prospects than Nelson. Very compelling.

Metro New York: "Jets Are 70 Percent Certain" They're Signing Reggie Nelson On Saturday

136099909_extra_large.jpg

Joe Robbins - Getty Images
More photos »

3 months ago:
CINCINNATI, OH - DECEMBER 24: Reggie Nelson #20 of the Cincinnati Bengals celebrates after a sack against the Arizona Cardinals at Paul Brown Stadium on December 24, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Bengals defeated the Cardinals 23-16. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

Reggie Nelson, the Bengals top free agent that hit the market on March 13, when contracts expired and key defensive players began an exodus out of Cincinnati. Jonathan Fanene and Frostee Rucker, both backups though productive, have already departed to join new teams. Safety Reggie Nelson hasn't developed huge interest on the open market, but the New York Jets invited Cincinnati's starting free safety on Friday for an overnight stay.

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Through a team source in New York, the Jets are 70 percent certain that they'll sign Nelson on Saturday, according to Kristian Dyer, who covers the New York Jets for Metro New York.

It's been assumed that the Bengals are perfectly willing to let Nelson leave, hinting during the NFL Combine last month that they're comfortable giving guys like Taylor Mays and Robert Sands an opportunity if it comes to that. Additionally it was somewhat telling that the team choose to use the franchise tag on place kicker Mike Nugent, rather than Nelson, who would have required a modest $6 million cap number on a team that's currently sitting with $38.9 million against the cap.

http://www.cincyjung...-signing-reggie

Aaah you win. You're argument is overwhelming. You're right, there are a ton of better Free Agents and 3rd round prospects than Nelson. Very compelling.

My bad. It's alright for you to blindly state things and not have to back up your point. I'm not allowed to refute your post which contained ZERO facts with an opinion. I understand. My bad.

Rich Cimini

The Jets are targeting two safeties in free agency -- LaRon Landry and Reggie Nelson, both of whom were first-round picks in 2007. Ideally, you'd like to have both because their skill sets are complementary, but it's unclear if they have enough salary-cap room to make that happen.

One thing to to remember: Landry, plagued by Achilles-tendon issues, is said to be willing to take a one-year deal to prove himself healthy, hoping for a big free-agent score next year. Something to ponder.

Anyway, here's a statistical look at the two safeties, courtesy of the web site Pro Football Focus. Judging from the numbers, it's pretty clear that Nelson is better in coverage and Landry is a better run enforcer around the line of scrimmage. The Jets use a lot of single- high safety looks, which might not be a good thing for Landry. But if you want a "box" safety, Landry gets the edge.

LANDRY (513 total snaps)

Pass coverage:

Time targeted/Completions -- 22/15

Completion pct. -- 71.4

Yards -- 159 yards

Yards after catch -- 99

TDs allowed --1

Interceptions -- 0

Passes defensed --0

Passer rating -- 109.0

Run defense:

Tackles -- 43

Stops -- 22

Missed tackles -- 5

Blitzing:

QB sacks --2

QB hits/pressures -- 8

NELSON (1,049 snaps)

Pass coverage:

Times targeted/completions -- 33/21

Completion pct. -- 63.6

Yards -- 275

Yards after catch -- 74

Interceptions -- 4

Passes defensed -- 4

Tds allowed -- 2

Passer rating -- 70.5

Run defense:

Tackles -- 64

Stops -- 24

Missed tackles -- 8

Blitzing:

QB Sacks --2

QB hits/pressures -- 7

BY MANISH MEHTA

The Jets took a step closer on Saturday to filling their biggest area of need in free agency.

Bengals safety Reggie Nelson finished his visit with the Jets after a “productive” visit with Jets’ officials, his agent Hadley Engelhard told the Daily News on Saturday. Nelson will now weight the Jets’ offer and make up his mind within 24 hours, Engelhard said. In addition to the Bengals and Jets, Nelson has received interest from a third team.

Nelson, 28, revived his career with the Bengals after three seasons in Jacksonsville. Quarterbacks had a 73.9 passer rating throwing at Nelson last season, according to Pro Football Focus. He allowed only two touchdown passes against him in 2011.

Nelson fits the profile of an athletic safety that the Jets were desperately lacking in 2011. Eric Smith was the only safety under contract with significant playing time in the Jets’ defensive system.

Free agent safety LaRon Landry is stilled scheduled to visit the Jets on Sunday, according to a source. The Jets were interested in safety Brandon Meriweather before he signed with the Redskins on Thursday.

The Jets will likely target another safety in the draft next month.

Tanny is demonstrating a clear inability to "Seal the Deal" and overcome the bad locker room issue. No top rated player wants to come to the Jets.

Pfft. Clearly you haven't heard. We signed a back up to our back up quarterback. So your logic is flawed.

*is in denial*

Man, Nelson and Landry.. would be so awesome. I would be happy about that. But honestly, I want Landry on board more than nelson.

If Nelson signs, does that mean definitely no return of Leonard?

i would assume so.. disappointing but he couldnt catch a break... but this is good, keep eric smith to what he's good at.. situational playing

Archived