Jets Trade Tebow For 4th Round Pick

JetsFan220

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a good move. It gives us more flexibility on offense with different looks & uses with Tebow as an RB/TE. The cost is minimal since it involves a fourth round pick. We're getting a 7th along with comp picks before the draft. The gadget plays are going to be interesting.

i don't like Tebow as a qb but running the wildcat (1-3 times a game), an occasional option as a rb for a 4th rounder-why not, it a different look, adds a little spice to the O. I seriously doubt Rex, Tanny and the rest are thinking of him as a full time QB. A fourth rounder is a question mark at best-here at least you have some idea of what you're getting and your getting a useful tool.

Post image for Tebow Trade Not Finalized

The Tim Tebow trade that was reported earlier today, seems to be on hold for the moment.  There are some contract details that the Jets were apparently not aware of originally.  The Denver Post has an excellent break down of the current issue:

The Jets were apparently in too much rush to make a news splash for their New York tabloids. They didn’t look at Tebow’s contract until after agreeing to the deal.

Would you buy a home without an inspection?

The contract says any team acquiring Tebow has to kick back $5.06375 million to the Broncos in advanced salaries from the 2012, 2013 and 2014 seasons, according to an NFL source.

Tebow was to receive a base salary of $405,000 in 2011. But five days after the start of the league season — which turned out to be Aug. 6, 2011 because of the lockout — the Broncos exercised a $6,277,500 advance in guaranteed salaries.

The $6,277,500 million in advances came from salaries of four seasons: 2011 ($1,213,750); 2012 ($1,425,000); 2013 ($1,691,250) and 2014 ($1.92 million).

The Broncos agree to their 2011 advanced portion (and got their money’s worth as Tebow led them from a 1-4 start under Kyle Orton to the playoffs). But as Tebow would be a Jet today with completion of trade, Jets would be assigned Tebow’s contract.

The Broncos paid the advance, but the 2012, 2013 and 2014 salaries still go to team that gets Tebow’s services.

The Broncos expect the Jets to pay them back those salary advances from 2012-14 per Tebow’s contract. The Jets are balking.

This is what the Jets thought was Tebow’s remaining contract: $1.1 million in 2012; $1.055 million in 2013; $895,000 in 2014.

Three years, $3.05 million. Instead, they’re looking at three years, $8.11 million. Huge difference. Although it wouldn’t take long for the human revenue machine that is Tebow to make up that $5.06 million in Tebowmania sales.

There is a decent chance this deal may die.

Based on the initial feedback from the Jets Nation forum, it seems like many Jets will be happy if this deal did indeed die as the Denver Post suggests.

di
di

w8C9CfWS-dE

View the full article

Those QB's are starters and not built like Tebow is physically, esp Vick. Tebow will be used in in a package. Just like you have a short yardage package, or a long yardage package. Pats fans out of all people should understand this concept. Your whole team is built around this concept.

I like the move in the sense that you have acquired a weapon.

I still maintain the Wildcat's death was because it was figured out.The Patriots were gutted the first time the Phins and Sparano sprung it on them and were never victimized again that bad. Even Teebow and the Broncos ran rampant over them in the first quarter last year for a 150 plus yards. In the remaining 7 quarters they did run well at times, but they were shut down.

Again, I like it from a weapon stand point and if he has hands even better for the Jets, but do not think it is worth the aggravation the Jets might bring upon themselves.

I like the move in the sense that you have acquired a weapon.

I still maintain the Wildcat's death was because it was figured out.The Patriots were gutted the first time the Phins and Sparano sprung it on them and were never victimized again that bad. Even Teebow and the Broncos ran rampant over them in the first quarter last year for a 150 plus yards. In the remaining 7 quarters they did run well at times, but they were shut down.

Again, I like it from a weapon stand point and if he has hands even better for the Jets, but do not think it is worth the aggravation the Jets might bring upon themselves.

Yeah I agree its not as effective as it was. It does however force the defense to play assignment football and Tebow also adds the inside run as a threat as well as the option which is a little different that most of the ways this was run. Everyone is calling this the "wildcat" but technically it will be different than that I think. I think it will be two formations that are both different than the wildcat. The first will be the Bronco Heavy which has 2 FB's, 2 TE's and 1 WR. This emphasises more of the power, counter, and off tackle runs as well as an option run. Its different than the wildcat because the wildcat doesnt have the power run threat because the set up is different. Also I think there will be a spread option that will have 4wr's and 1 rb. This will spread the defense out and force the defense into a smaller set which will be a mismatch. As far as Mark goes and the problems this causes him, I believe what the Jets say. Every QB has a back up. I mean if the Pats start off slow after their super bowl appearance I could see chants for Mallet. Its just the way the league is. Backup QB's are almost always the most popular players on a team that is struggling.

Yeah I agree its not as effective as it was. It does however force the defense to play assignment football and Tebow also adds the inside run as a threat as well as the option which is a little different that most of the ways this was run. Everyone is calling this the "wildcat" but technically it will be different than that I think. I think it will be two formations that are both different than the wildcat. The first will be the Bronco Heavy which has 2 FB's, 2 TE's and 1 WR. This emphasises more of the power, counter, and off tackle runs as well as an option run. Its different than the wildcat because the wildcat doesnt have the power run threat because the set up is different. Also I think there will be a spread option that will have 4wr's and 1 rb. This will spread the defense out and force the defense into a smaller set which will be a mismatch. As far as Mark goes and the problems this causes him, I believe what the Jets say. Every QB has a back up. I mean if the Pats start off slow after their super bowl appearance I could see chants for Mallet. Its just the way the league is. Backup QB's are almost always the most popular players on a team that is struggling.

I could to. :screwy: And that is the fickle nature of the fan.

Again, I like the idea of picking up Tebow as a weapon. I think Sanchez is still the future and will do well. With all the issues in the locker room, I think it brings aggravation to Sanchez.

Archived