What are we doing at #2 WR?

RyanBe_Tweetin

Are we going to bring in anyone to play opposite Holmes, or is this it? At the moment these are the WRs on the team:

1. Santonio Holmes

2. Jeremy Kerley

3. Patrick Turner

4. Chaz Schilens

5. Dexter Jackson

I heard we brought in Donnie Avery for a look and had interest in Braylon and Jerricho but so far I haven't heard any significant news about them.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we going to bring in anyone to play opposite Holmes, or is this it? At the moment these are the WRs on the team:

1. Santonio Holmes

2. Jeremy Kerley

3. Patrick Turner

4. Chaz Schilens

5. Dexter Jackson

I heard we brought in Donnie Avery for a look and had interest in Braylon and Jerricho but so far I haven't heard any significant news about them.

Thankfully Avery signed with the Colts. I hope we draft a 1/2 type.

Donnie Avery - WR - Colts

Colts signed WR Donnie Avery, formerly of the Titans.

The snakebitten former 33rd overall pick in the draft, Avery racked up 100 receptions for 1,263 yards and eight touchdowns during his first two NFL seasons before tearing his right ACL in August of 2010. Avery did post three catches for 45 yards and a touchdown in Week 17 of 2011, but he did nothing in between. The 28-year-old (in June) is still certainly worth a flier. While brittle and limited physically, Avery runs like the wind when healthy.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?rw=1

Thankfully Avery signed with the Colts. I hope we draft a 1/2 type.

Donnie Avery - WR - Colts

Colts signed WR Donnie Avery, formerly of the Titans.

The snakebitten former 33rd overall pick in the draft, Avery racked up 100 receptions for 1,263 yards and eight touchdowns during his first two NFL seasons before tearing his right ACL in August of 2010. Avery did post three catches for 45 yards and a touchdown in Week 17 of 2011, but he did nothing in between. The 28-year-old (in June) is still certainly worth a flier. While brittle and limited physically, Avery runs like the wind when healthy.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld...l/football?rw=1

I heard about this guy Tommy Streeter from Miami who could be a good pick

I heard about this guy Tommy Streeter from Miami who could be a good pick

Supposed to be a deep draft for WR.

Rueben Randle was a projected late first to second round, but he had a good pro day today increasing his stock.

Rueben Randle - WR - Player

LSU WR Rueben Randle clocked forty times of 4.33 and 4.37 at the Tigers' Thursday Pro Day.

Randle ran 4.50 and 4.56 at the Combine. While LSU has a fast track (Mo Claiborne improved from 4.50 to 4.39), Randle clearly is not speed deficient. Randle also drew praise for his work in position drills. "He did an outstanding job of reaching out and plucking the ball with his hands," said one source at the workout. Sporting News' Russ Lande expects Randle to be a top-20 pick.

Source: Sporting News

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

More on Randle

Randle’s excellent performance likely locked up a spot in the draft's top 20 which the first round is called on April 26. According to two NFL people, Rueben timed between 4.33 and 4.37 on both of his 40 times. In addition, he ran exceptional routes.

At 6-3 and 212 pounds, Randle displayed the ability to get in and out of his cuts with quickness. According to a source at the workout, “He did an outstanding job of reaching out and plucking the ball with his hands.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-22/morris-claiborne-lsu-pro-day-nfl-draft-2012-vikings#ixzz1q03hLKw6

More on Randle

Randle’s excellent performance likely locked up a spot in the draft's top 20 which the first round is called on April 26. According to two NFL people, Rueben timed between 4.33 and 4.37 on both of his 40 times. In addition, he ran exceptional routes.

At 6-3 and 212 pounds, Randle displayed the ability to get in and out of his cuts with quickness. According to a source at the workout, “He did an outstanding job of reaching out and plucking the ball with his hands.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...s#ixzz1q03hLKw6

In a perfect world we go

1.OLB

2. WR

3. FS or RT

In that order

I think the Jets will go WR or TE in the first round. I would like to see them pick Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech. The guy is an absolute beast. Floyd and Randle are Jags, imho. Hill played in a triple option offense so his route running is a question mark. He was only really asked to run a go route. Which is why he caught 28 balls for an eye popping 810 yards last season. 6'5" 220 and ran a 4.36 at the combine. Also he had an olympic verticle and tested in only slightly shorter than what Calvin Johnson did when he came out. Also he passes the thug test and seems to be of high character. If its not him I would bet it could be the Tight End from Stamford. But I'm hoping it is Hill. Here is a great highlight video of him.

http://youtu.be/1kQWb4NXvJc

As far as taking an OLB in the first round, it honestly doesn't make much sense. Rex's defense is predicated on blitzing DB's as well as LB's. This does not necessarily mean sending numbers - but scheming his blitzes. I think based on the personnel moves, the Jets believe that the big problem with those blitzes effectiveness was the lack of running game. In 2009 the Jets ran it 58% of the time, in 2011 just 48%. Jmho - but we will see on draft day.

I'm not as excited about as Jorge but I think Hill in the 2nd would be good or Floyd in the 1st. It's all depending on where we draft an OLB since it's our biggest need.

Hill wont be there in the 2nd.......he is going late first at the latest.

I think the Jets will go WR or TE in the first round. I would like to see them pick Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech. The guy is an absolute beast. Floyd and Randle are Jags, imho. Hill played in a triple option offense so his route running is a question mark. He was only really asked to run a go route. Which is why he caught 28 balls for an eye popping 810 yards last season. 6'5" 220 and ran a 4.36 at the combine. Also he had an olympic verticle and tested in only slightly shorter than what Calvin Johnson did when he came out. Also he passes the thug test and seems to be of high character. If its not him I would bet it could be the Tight End from Stamford. But I'm hoping it is Hill. Here is a great highlight video of him.

**** no on getting Fleener or Hill in the 1st unless we trade down late and get a few more picks. We don't need a TE in the 1st there's a bunch of blocking TEs around 5th and 6th (we should pick up a few comp picks) and Hill isn't worth a 1st. He has a high ceiling but he's to raw for 16.

**** no on getting Fleener or Hill in the 1st unless we trade down late and get a few more picks. We don't need a TE in the 1st there's a bunch of blocking TEs around 5th and 6th (we should pick up a few comp picks) and Hill isn't worth a 1st. He has a high ceiling but he's to raw for 16.

If Hill had a QB and played in anything other than the triple option, he would be a top 5 pick. He is also a true Junior. He will be the 3rd WR taken in this draft. Randy Moss made a HOF career out of running one route. He can do enough in his first year to warrant the pick.He is also the best run blocking WR in the draft.

I'm not as excited about as Jorge but I think Hill in the 2nd would be good or Floyd in the 1st. It's all depending on where we draft an OLB since it's our biggest need.

HIS SIZE ALONE BUT HEY FLOYD HAD SOME TROUBLE IN SCHOOL DRINKING FUTURE PROBLEM HILL IN THE 2ND IS A GOOD FIT

Thats the first time I've heard Fleener at 16. Hills impressive and has a good upside but as long as we get an OLB or WR in rounds 1 and 2 I'll be satisfied.

If Hill had a QB and played in anything other than the triple option, he would be a top 5 pick. He is also a true Junior. He will be the 3rd WR taken in this draft. Randy Moss made a HOF career out of running one route. He can do enough in his first year to warrant the pick.He is also the best run blocking WR in the draft.

I agree the O Hill played in college hurts his draft position but it is what it is. He's to unknown to be taken at 16. He'll be the 4th WR taken I think.

I agree the O Hill played in college hurts his draft position but it is what it is. He's to unknown to be taken at 16. He'll be the 4th WR taken I think.

You could be right. You know how the Jets do at drafting combine workout warriors. lol! But this guy legit pops off the film. Something a lot of workout warriors never do.

Thats the first time I've heard Fleener at 16. Hills impressive and has a good upside but as long as we get an OLB or WR in rounds 1 and 2 I'll be satisfied.

I agree OLB/WR in any order. I just dont think Hill lasts to the second and I feel like all of the first round LB's are equal to the ones in the second. None of them get me too excited.

I agree OLB/WR in any order. I just dont think Hill lasts to the second and I feel like all of the first round LB's are equal to the ones in the second. None of them get me too excited.

Me neither, the top 5 WRs get drafted in this order

1. Blackmon

2. Floyd

3. Wright

4. Hill

5. Jefferey

With Jefferey falling to the 2nd round

As far as taking an OLB in the first round, it honestly doesn't make much sense. Rex's defense is predicated on blitzing DB's as well as LB's. This does not necessarily mean sending numbers - but scheming his blitzes. I think based on the personnel moves, the Jets believe that the big problem with those blitzes effectiveness was the lack of running game. In 2009 the Jets ran it 58% of the time, in 2011 just 48%. Jmho - but we will see on draft day.

i agree with all of this but it presumes that the purpose to draft a linebacker is to get sacks. The Jets need starting linebackers, period. BT is old and hurt, Pace is about 1 year behind him. They need guys to stop the run and play tons of snaps. Drop back in coverage when the scheme blitz you talk about is happening.

a guy with LB background like Upshaw or Ingram would be very hard to pass on. but the Jets would pass on more traditional "sack" DE like Mercilius and Perry. Cause those guys don't contribute much besides sacks. the Jets don't need another DPR they need a linebacker for all three downs. by the way I think Ingram or Upshaw could be an interior DT pass rusher on nickel down downs. they are both about 270. Rex could put Ingram anywhere like he put Adalius Thomas.

Me neither, the top 5 WRs get drafted in this order

1. Blackmon

2. Floyd

3. Wright

4. Hill

5. Jefferey

With Jefferey falling to the 2nd round

I could agree with that. I like Blackmon and Wright. I dont like Floyd at all - but I think you most likely are right that he will go 2nd. Floyd looks like Mike Sims-Walker to me. No separation, lets the ball get into his body too much, not a great blocker for his size. I don't like anything but his size tbh.

i agree with all of this but it presumes that the purpose to draft a linebacker is to get sacks. The Jets need starting linebackers, period. BT is old and hurt, Pace is about 1 year behind him. They need guys to stop the run and play tons of snaps. Drop back in coverage when the scheme blitz you talk about is happening.

a guy with LB background like Upshaw or Ingram would be very hard to pass on. but the Jets would pass on more traditional "sack" DE like Mercilius and Perry. Cause those guys don't contribute much besides sacks. the Jets don't need another DPR they need a linebacker for all three downs. by the way I think Ingram or Upshaw could be an interior DT pass rusher on nickel down downs. they are both about 270. Rex could put Ingram anywhere like he put Adalius Thomas.

Yep, I agree. But if you are looking for a 3 down OLB - I think there is good value there in the second as well. I was just making that point because a lot of people think it is one in the same. That's all. I agree that we need to get a replacement inline for Pace AND Thomas for next season.

Archived