I Really Hope it was All Schottenheimer's Fault

slats

I really wanted Schottenheimer fired. I thought his pass plays were slow to develop, and that they didn't work well to get receivers open. I thought his play calling was effective maybe once every five or six games. Most of all, I feel he did a terrible job bringing Sanchez along.

Problem is, Sparano wouldn't've even made my extremely long list of potential replacements - never mind the short list.

On the plus side, Sparano's QB's have pretty consistently had better comp % and YPA numbers than Sanchez. Interceptions were a big problem with Henne (who Sparano and the Jets saw fit to pass on), but Matt Moore stepped in and had close to a 2:1 TD:int ratio. Good news.

The bad news, for me, is that Sparano seems to be heralded as the Godfather of the Wildcat. With the Tebow acquisition, and now this giant raw Aussie TE, I'm wondering what the Jets have in mind. They've beefed up the skill positions without beefing up the OL. Like a lot of things the Jets do, the approach to the offense seems scattershot at best.

If Sparano can improve Sanchez's efficiency while limiting his mistakes, I think this will be a good move overall. But if the whole Jets offense is based on various kinds of trickery behind a rickety OL, I think things will get ugly fast.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4/5 of the returning OL is fine, not to mention is better than most.

Teams sometimes use a rookie on the OL. Hope for the OL that season is not lost. My guess - my hope - is they are going to draft a RT.

Hunter stinks but the SB champs had a starting RT just as bad (actually he was worse on paper).

Ducasse isn't a total lost cause but the production thus far has not been encouraging. In his defense, he came in as a raw prospect, then jumped into a complex blocking scheme he had little (if any) exposure to in addition to jumping 2 levels in the types of players he faced in addition to competing for a position at guard when he was a tackle (not exactly like switching from DT to G like Moore did, but it is different). Fast forward to the next year. He was in need of a full camp more than most - if not all - others. There is no camp due to the lockout and he moves back to OT (RT this time) and situational 6th lineman. He still stinks and can't figure out who to block in zone blocking. Now fast forward to year 3. Full camp, a true shot at the RT job since the team can't possibly be enamored with Hunter even with that guarantee, and a far simpler scheme that should lessen or possibly erase his prior incompetence in pass blocking. It's also the first time he's returning to play the same position a year later since college.

Now, I've just rationalized being not totally pessimistic with Ducasse heading into this year. While all the above is true, as of today neither he nor Hunter starting for is encouraging. But those 2 plus a rookie competing...in theory one of them should prove good enough. Yes it would be better to not have a liability from last season returning, but that doesn't mean it will be a liability position this year. McKenzie was a top-5 RT in 2010 and a bottom-5 RT in 2011. Just the same, players can improve.

Of course these are the same talent evaluators that believe Mark Sanchez is a great QB so take that for what it's worth.

Of course these are the same talent evaluators that believe Mark Sanchez is a great QB so take that for what it's worth.

It was really nice seeing a mostly positive post from you ...and then I got to this line....lol

I really wanted Schottenheimer fired. I thought his pass plays were slow to develop, and that they didn't work well to get receivers open. I thought his play calling was effective maybe once every five or six games. Most of all, I feel he did a terrible job bringing Sanchez along.

Problem is, Sparano wouldn't've even made my extremely long list of potential replacements - never mind the short list.

On the plus side, Sparano's QB's have pretty consistently had better comp % and YPA numbers than Sanchez. Interceptions were a big problem with Henne (who Sparano and the Jets saw fit to pass on), but Matt Moore stepped in and had close to a 2:1 TD:int ratio. Good news.

The bad news, for me, is that Sparano seems to be heralded as the Godfather of the Wildcat. With the Tebow acquisition, and now this giant raw Aussie TE, I'm wondering what the Jets have in mind. They've beefed up the skill positions without beefing up the OL. Like a lot of things the Jets do, the approach to the offense seems scattershot at best.

If Sparano can improve Sanchez's efficiency while limiting his mistakes, I think this will be a good move overall. But if the whole Jets offense is based on various kinds of trickery behind a rickety OL, I think things will get ugly fast.

Sparano's offense = run the ball, to set up deep pass plays. THAT is the offense he installs, the wildcat is just an extension, or wrinkle, of the running game.

I fully expect the offense to be more efficient, take more shots down field, be better in the red zone and most importantly not extend every situation to a 3rd and long. Schotty's greatest shortcoming is that he consistently put together drives that relied upon wasting the 1st and 2nd down. Sure it wasn't always the play called, but the execution, but anyone watching the Jets the past few years could tell you that we were running middle on 1st down 90% of the time. If that is the case, then 1st down was effectively wasted.

From a purely mathematical point of view (logic), it cannot be all Shotty's fault. However, there is something called secondary failure mode and/or contributing failure result. So having a weak QB exasberates the situation.....but we will have the proof soon.

It certainly wasn't all Schotty, but there's no doubt he was a part of the issue. If Sparano can just eliminate some of the nonsense we saw out of this team for the past 6 years, that will certainly be a step in the right direction, but the Jets still need to address some of the holes on their offense, as well as see marked improvement out of the play of some of their returning players (most notably, their QB and #1 WR). At this point, I think the biggest cause concern is that a certain recent acquisition suggests that there will be a fairly significant commitment made to a portion of the offense being gimmick-based, which has been proven time and time again to have absolutely no long term success in the NFL. The only hope is that the Jets new offensive coaching staff has one thing that the prior one sorely lacked, an ability to identify when something they are doing is failing miserably, and make adjustments to account for that.

Getting rid of Schotty was undoubtedly a good move, as there's certain things that will help out the team by being eliminated that I can't imagine any other coach in the league would really be foolish enough to do. Of course, beyond that, who really knows how well Sparano will work out long term, but it really can't be any worse. For the time being, the potential is unfortunately rather limited considering the players making up this offensive unit seem to be getting worse by the year, and we'll have to see how well, if at all, the Jets address that come draft time.

Slats I tend to agree on the Shottenheimer evaluation and I think there is a good chance he had a negative effect on Sanchez. Sanchez has the talent to be a damn good QB if he cuts down on mistakes which has been his biggest problem.

I do not think Sanchez' accuracy issues are what most fans think. I have a feeling he will go up over 60 percent this season in a better designed offense. He threw for 65 % in college and while I fully understand the college game is much different, the bottom line is you need to hit your open Receivers no matter what game your playing college or pro. Its harder to complete passes to covered WR's and when plays take long to develop they are easily readable and routes are jumpable. I think Sanchez sees more than some think and throws some balls to avoid int's and sacks which in turn makes them look like horrible throws. Of course the haters will have a field day with this but hey Ive come to expect that. Sanchez, contrary to what people here say, also throws a very accurate deep ball of course he did not thorw many last year for 2 reasons 1. he had bad protection 2. he had no deep threat . Not only did he know this but so did the teams we faced which gave them the opportunity to jump routes. How many times did wee have to see defenders say the Jets offense is predictable ? Therefore making the QB predictable.

A few times When Sanchez was being sacked or pressured the camera or the analyst covering the game would show a downfiled shot and all the WR's backs would be to the QB, not much a QB can do in that situation then the receiver comes out of his break and seees his QB running for his life. Wonder how many times Holmes and Plax just gave up after that because I also saw that happen as well. I can not say if it was a consistent problem but I would be willing to give Sanchez the benifit of the doubt over assholes like Plax and Holmes.

A few things need to happen for Sanchez to put up numbers the google warriors wan to see. We need to give him better protection, we need to re establish the running game, we need real deep threats that can stretch the field, and we need a competent OC who can adapt to game condidtions, and Sanchez needs to cut down on the stupid mistakes.

I am in the same boat, I told everyone who would listen that I did not want to pass judgement on Sanchez until I saw him with a new OC becuase I though Schotty was that bad. Now with Tebow here and no improvement to the WR corps I am thinking another bad year for Sanchez with no real opportunity to prove himself.

I am in the same boat, I told everyone who would listen that I did not want to pass judgement on Sanchez until I saw him with a new OC becuase I though Schotty was that bad. Now with Tebow here and no improvement to the WR corps I am thinking another bad year for Sanchez with no real opportunity to prove himself.

Something tells me the Jets might target a WR early in the draft and a first round WR is not out of the question. If they do want to target a WR in round 1 and Floyd and Wriight are gone I think they should trade out of the pick and grab a WR late in the first and a RB in the second. Then use the rest of the draft on LB's and OL. I still think they may sign a training Camp casualty for the O-line but we had a few of them come available last year and the Jets went into the season with depth that was a joke so who knows

Something tells me the Jets might target a WR early in the draft and a first round WR is not out of the question. If they do want to target a WR in round 1 and Floyd and Wriight are gone I think they should trade out of the pick and grab a WR late in the first and a RB in the second. Then use the rest of the draft on LB's and OL. I still think they may sign a training Camp casualty for the O-line but we had a few of them come available last year and the Jets went into the season with depth that was a joke so who knows

Hope your right

Michale Floyd would be a great weapon for Sanchez, I was more worried about the fact that everytime he builds chemistry with a WR he gets cut, traded, or they let him walk (Braylon, Cotch, etc.)

Sparano's offense = run the ball, to set up deep pass plays. THAT is the offense he installs, the wildcat is just an extension, or wrinkle, of the running game.

I fully expect the offense to be more efficient, take more shots down field, be better in the red zone and most importantly not extend every situation to a 3rd and long. Schotty's greatest shortcoming is that he consistently put together drives that relied upon wasting the 1st and 2nd down. Sure it wasn't always the play called, but the execution, but anyone watching the Jets the past few years could tell you that we were running middle on 1st down 90% of the time. If that is the case, then 1st down was effectively wasted.

Would Sparano've been your choice, though?

I hope you're right about better efficiency on 1st and 2nd down, but running to set up the bomb is so 1967. I think that sort of offense puts more pressure on the QB, as opposed to an offense that controls the ball with a short passing game - getting the QB in that proverbial rhythm.

I'd bet heavily against it. They're committed to Holmes, Kerley looks promising (and he'll be all WR now with Tebow running the wildcat), and they brought Schilens in with his receiver coach from Oakland. Maybe you'll see a FA, but I wouldn't bank on that either. I wouldn't expect a WR until they get to their comp picks - if then. They don't like drafting WR's high. Haven't done it since Santana Moss.

Expect a lot of 2 TE sets, and maybe some Tebow at H-back. Probably a lot of 1 WR sets. They love their FB, too.

Would Sparano've been your choice, though?

I hope you're right about better efficiency on 1st and 2nd down, but running to set up the bomb is so 1967. I think that sort of offense puts more pressure on the QB, as opposed to an offense that controls the ball with a short passing game - getting the QB in that proverbial rhythm.

I'd bet heavily against it. They're committed to Holmes, Kerley looks promising (and he'll be all WR now with Tebow running the wildcat), and they brought Schilens in with his receiver coach from Oakland. Maybe you'll see a FA, but I wouldn't bank on that either. I wouldn't expect a WR until they get to their comp picks - if then. They don't like drafting WR's high. Haven't done it since Santana Moss.

Expect a lot of 2 TE sets, and maybe some Tebow at H-back. Probably a lot of 1 WR sets. They love their FB, too.

Sparano my first choice? No.

However, I do think he makes a lot of sense for 3 key reasons.

1. He has head coaching experience, and Rex learned last year that having someone else to lean on that has been a HC could be valuable. Especially a guy known to be a tough coach, not a players coach. I think he'll be a great counter-point to Rex.

2. Rex wants to run the ball, to set up the deep pass plays. This is exactly what Sparano's offense's are all about - hopefully, Sparano can bring with him whatever good stuff he soaked up from Dan Henning.

3. Sparano/Henning have gotten more out of Pennington, Matt Moore, Fasano, Reggie Bush, and a number of other role-player types than Schotty ever got out of the high-profile guys Tanny put in his arsenal. Sparano's WRs all had really high yards per catch averages, the RBs all really good yards per carry averages. It's an offense that makes big plays, and keeps their defense fresh. Pennington's numbers when he left the Jets were fantastic, the way he ran that offense WITH the wildcat was fantastic.

So what Sparano my first choice? Absolutely not. BUT my posts about who I wanted us to hire were written from the standpoint of what I wanted, an extension of the type of football I think the Jets should be playing... NOT the type of football Rex wants them playing. Sparano is a great fit with Rex, I think.

I never liked Schotty - but its fair to say last year was not all his fault. The personnel on offense was horrible. Rex had to get involved in the offense every year as head coach. Which tells me that Rex needed a stronger OC.

1. He has head coaching experience, and Rex learned last year that having someone else to lean on that has been a HC could be valuable. Especially a guy known to be a tough coach, not a players coach. I think he'll be a great counter-point to Rex.

This I agree with. I think he could strong arm some chemistry on the offensive side of the ball.

Sparano's WRs all had really high yards per catch averages, the RBs all really good yards per carry averages.

Sorry, this just isn't true.

4/5 of the returning OL is fine, not to mention is better than most.

Teams sometimes use a rookie on the OL. Hope for the OL that season is not lost. My guess - my hope - is they are going to draft a RT.

Hunter stinks but the SB champs had a starting RT just as bad (actually he was worse on paper).

Ducasse isn't a total lost cause but the production thus far has not been encouraging. In his defense, he came in as a raw prospect, then jumped into a complex blocking scheme he had little (if any) exposure to in addition to jumping 2 levels in the types of players he faced in addition to competing for a position at guard when he was a tackle (not exactly like switching from DT to G like Moore did, but it is different). Fast forward to the next year. He was in need of a full camp more than most - if not all - others. There is no camp due to the lockout and he moves back to OT (RT this time) and situational 6th lineman. He still stinks and can't figure out who to block in zone blocking. Now fast forward to year 3. Full camp, a true shot at the RT job since the team can't possibly be enamored with Hunter even with that guarantee, and a far simpler scheme that should lessen or possibly erase his prior incompetence in pass blocking. It's also the first time he's returning to play the same position a year later since college.

Now, I've just rationalized being not totally pessimistic with Ducasse heading into this year. While all the above is true, as of today neither he nor Hunter starting for is encouraging. But those 2 plus a rookie competing...in theory one of them should prove good enough. Yes it would be better to not have a liability from last season returning, but that doesn't mean it will be a liability position this year. McKenzie was a top-5 RT in 2010 and a bottom-5 RT in 2011. Just the same, players can improve.

Obviously it wasnt all Schotty...or at least it will be very quickly. But I'm curious, who was on your long list of replacements?

This I agree with. I think he could strong arm some chemistry on the offensive side of the ball.

Sorry, this just isn't true.

I read an article saying his WRs averaged something like 15-18 yards per catch. RBs closer to 4 yards per carry. I could be misremembering, and hardly want to bicker over it, but imo those are decent numbers.

Consider where the Jets were last year on both.

I wanted Schotty gone and have a situation where the JETS could evaluate Sanchez for one complete season to see if he can be a legit QB in this league and continue with him or move on in the next off season.

So we fire Schotty. But then extend Sanchez. Then bring in the Tebow circus to town. Right now Sanchez knows he has a very very short leash. Not sure how it responds. But its a lot of pressure where the probability of coming through usually are very small.

Slats,

It was mainly Schotty's fault with an extra side of blame to Rex who had zero concept on how to develop a QB or a decent offensive team. The only question is...can Sparano fix it? Have to think Sparano complements Rex better than Schotty...Rex wants to G&P and Sparano brings a unqiue variation...Sparano has head coaching experience plus less of a player's coach reputation...yet his players played hard for him...could work...not sold on him making Mark the next Manning or something like that but could see him decreasing the dumb decision ala Jim Harbaugh and Alex Smith accomplished in SF.

Has it ever been all the offensive coordinators fault?

No, but if Sanchez improves this year it will be, even though Tebow pushing him would be a more likely culprit. If he doesn't it's cause of Holmes, Oline, Sparano sucking too..

If Bradford plays well, it will be in spite of Schotty, if he stinks it will be because of Schotty

Very well said. They didn't even give us a second before they named Sparano. I would have said that the wildcat business was simply an on-the-fly adjustment to not having a viable QB (and having two high salary RBs) But like you said, now that Tanabum is going around trying to re-sell us the wildcat now on dvd..... I wonder. If Sanchez can muster up any enthusiasm whatsoever for this season I commend him. smh

I swear I wish they would just come right out and say "Hey it's Woody's team and he wants to be on HardKnocks...so we will do the best we can." Wouldn't be great but it would be so much easier than this. It's one thing for Tanabum to talk about the wildcat like it's worth a sh*t, but when it filters down to Rex Ryan, you really have to wonder.

People only seem to wanna remember the Tebow highlights on Espn, the miracle drives at the end of the game...I beg everyone to fire up the DVR and try to find last years Denver game....then I dare you to watch the first 55:00 of Denver's offense and come back here with your thoughts. lmao Exciting huh? The wildcat!!!!

No, but if Sanchez improves this year it will be, even though Tebow pushing him would be a more likely culprit. If he doesn't it's cause of Holmes, Oline, Sparano sucking too..

If Bradford plays well, it will be in spite of Schotty, if he stinks it will be because of Schotty

Don't be silly, no matter what happens it will be because of the new jerseys.

Never bought into the backup "pushing" idea either. I wanted a good back-up for the sake of benching Sanchez when the next inevitable meltdown came.

Schottenheimer didn't fit here as a passing OC on a team with no good passers and a HC who wants to run it. It was a bad fit, but a worthy cause for the franchise to take up (seeing as any offense worth a damn throws).

I think Sporano fits pretty well here with his long background with OL work and running game successes. Jets picked a guy who specializes in where they have had their most recent successes. Hopefully Sanchez grows up and adds an element to this offense that the Jets have had only flashes of over the past 30 years.

Never bought into the backup "pushing" idea either. I wanted a good back-up for the sake of benching Sanchez when the next inevitable meltdown came.

I'm surprised by that.. as a psychologist, I'd think having someone push you to be better, i.e. work harder, would be accepted. I know in my experiance it's like that, even with things like lifting weights.

Somebody should ask Chad Henne about Sparano's awesome nurturing skills as far as fixing struggling young QBs goes. It's a boneheaded, short-sighted, good ol' boys hire that has almost no chance of working. Bill Callahan has lorded over some dominant rushing attacks in his career and couldn't squeeze anything out of this group last year and the talent level has actually gotten worse. Are defenses afraid of Jeremy Kerley beating them deep? Chaz Schilens? Right. I'm loading up to watch a bunch of 24 carry/74 yard games for Shonn Greene until Sparano and Rex decide it's all Sanchez's fault that the ball isn't moving and we get the start of the Tebow Era. Week Four, tops.

Somebody should ask Chad Henne about Sparano's awesome nurturing skills as far as fixing struggling young QBs goes. It's a boneheaded, short-sighted, good ol' boys hire that has almost no chance of working. Bill Callahan has lorded over some dominant rushing attacks in his career and couldn't squeeze anything out of this group last year and the talent level has actually gotten worse. Are defenses afraid of Jeremy Kerley beating them deep? Chaz Schilens? Right. I'm loading up to watch a bunch of 24 carry/74 yard games for Shonn Greene until Sparano and Rex decide it's all Sanchez's fault that the ball isn't moving and we get the start of the Tebow Era. Week Four, tops.

Funny, I was just reading this thread and thinking to myself, wondering how bad Miami's offense was last year to have the #8 pick in this years draft. I have heard how much better Chad Henne is than Sanchez, Marshall would be better than any receiver on our team, RBs are better yet as an offense they really sucked. Add that to the fact that their defense was supposed to be best in the AFC and it is a wonder that they didnt win the SB. Not sure what to think about our new OC besides the fact that I hope Luigi puts his foot in the first person on offenses a$$ that comes and sulks on the sideline. I look forward to a more determined team, not in words but in actions...

Henne is terrible...no fault of the coach that he didn't develop...Sanchez otoh...just needs a QB guru to maximize his unlimited potential...Timmy Tebow will be wishing he chose Jacksonville when its all said and done.

Archived