The worst decision so far this offseason was NOT the Tebow trade....

Jetsfan80

Wins and Losses brah. Dude took at 1-4 team, to a division championship and a playoff victory. He's not here to be a starter. He's here to run a wrinkle that he runs better than anyone in the league. The Jets were going to run it regardless.

Just seems like a lot to pay and give up for a wrinkle. Would have been cheaper to re-sign B Smith last year, but I guess we shal see what he brings us. I hope he makes a difference.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just seems like a lot to pay and give up for a wrinkle. Would have been cheaper to re-sign B Smith last year, but I guess we shal see what he brings us. I hope he makes a difference.

I dont think it was a lot...not at all. And B Smith got 4 years for 15 million. Thats not a cheaper solution.

Do I have this straight? Are the Jets doomed because they don't have enough players under contract past 2013 or are the Jets doomed because they have too much money in players that suck? I think it is a good thing that guys like Hunter, Pace, Scott and Moore aren't under long term deals. Aging guys that are overpaid can be replaced. Besides, aren't most speculating a huge cap increase with the new tv deal. Who do you want on a longterm deal? Brick, Mangold, Harris and Revis. Sanchez (orTebow) if they don't suck. Check.

Do I have this straight? Are the Jets doomed because they don't have enough players under contract past 2013 or are the Jets doomed because they have too much money in players that suck? I think it is a good thing that guys like Hunter, Pace, Scott and Moore aren't under long term deals. Aging guys that are overpaid can be replaced. Besides, aren't most speculating a huge cap increase with the new tv deal. Who do you want on a longterm deal? Brick, Mangold, Harris and Revis. Sanchez (orTebow) if they don't suck. Check.

The cap is not expected to increase as much as originally thought because the NFL players association has browed money from future caps to keep the 2012 cap at $120 million. The 2012 was suppose to be about $116 and DeMaurice Smith, NFLPA union head was up for re-election and would have been vilified if he allowed the cap to fall to that level. This is why the PA agreed to allow sanctions against the Cowboys and Redskins because the NFL said let us do this and we’ll help build up the cap. So as far as the cap going up much in 2013 that is not the case.

Besides the cap going up is relative to all other teams it goes up for everyone. In 2013 the salary floor goes into place and league minimums go up so salaries will be on the rise. Teams with more cap space can obtain veterans easier than those who are tight. Look at Reggie Nelson the Jets couldn’t compete with Cincy on the contract even though he’s deal was not that great. Also look at what the Jets are doing in FA in 2012, usually their going after the Nnamdi Asomugh’s of the world but this year they have signed cheap one year deals, only Pouha got more than one year, I don’t count Hayden Smith no guaranteed money there. Why are they doing this? Don’t they want Mario Williams, Carl Nicks, Vincent Jackson or Eric Winston? They can’t afford them and they can’t afford to carry over any new big salaries into 2013.

Currently the Jets have 32 players under contract in 2013 with a cap hit of $127 million. The Bills have 46 players under contract with a cap hit of $100 million and the Pats have 33 with a cap hit of $93 million.

Yes there are some high price contracts that can be cut in 2013 Hunter, Smith, Scott and Pace saves $22.85 million, but you have to replace these players then you have 28. Most of overpaid players you speak of have guaranteed contract you can’t simple cut them.

David Harris is a good player but carries a $13 million cap hit in 2013 cutting him leaves $9 million in dead money, so you can’t save there. Sanchez has $12.85 million hit cutting him $17 million dead money. Most of the high end contracts are like this.

Of course guys like Ferguson & Revis are worth the money but you don’t have to many underpaid overachieves. Here are the starters under contract in 2013 after likely cuts: Harris, Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Pouha, Wilkerson, Kerley and Connor. The other 17, who knows if they even stay with the team? The bottom line is the Jets will have to be frugal once again in 2013 hopefully they can get some good draft picks to fill spots of those likely not to return. They will be in a position like this year not able to compete with other teams with better cap situations. They have to sign stop-gap again maybe concentrating on one or two guys like they did with Pouha, an obvious priority.

As far as Tebow’s contract it is very possible he will count $7 million in 2013 if his mid-level incentive is deemed likely to be achieved. Even thought the Jets may not have to pay this it will count on the salary cap. If Tebow becomes the starter, which I think he will, then I’m sure he’ll want more money but we’ll see.

My point to the person who said I’m clueless is that the Jets need to use the draft now they are not in position to get high priced FA nor to trade the picks away. We all know the cracks of 2011 do you think more aren’t on the way? Even a good draft this year will only fill so much the Jets need a good 2013 draft as well. I would have loved to obtain Ryans from Houston for a 4th round pick but the Jets couldn’t afford his salary. They need some younger cheaper players where do you get them?

The Jets in the past gave traded away picks for players choosing to take a veteran instead of a prospect. This is fine with me Kris Jenkins and Braylon Edwards was a great additions but their careers here were short and you give up the prospects. Same thing with Holmes and Cro they were traded for picks and became FA so the Jets signed them to big guaranteed market deals. The Jets have been aggressive in the draft as well moving up. All of this is fine I said, but was ignored, the Jets came close but unfortunately didn’t get the championship. The fact is the bill has come in and circumstances called for a certain course of action which the Jets seem to be following, being frugal in FA, use the draft.

This year seemed like a year to put the team back on a good financial course, you’d have to sacrifice moves you’d like to make until you were in position to make them again. I would have rather the Jets kept the draft pick and extra $2.25 million it cost for Tebow and used these resources instead of getting him. Some feel he is worth it but the team’s actions show they are not in great financial shape and this just seemed like a luxury they already had Stanton did they need Tebow?

The cap is not expected to increase as much as originally thought because the NFL players association has browed money from future caps to keep the 2012 cap at $120 million. The 2012 was suppose to be about $116 and DeMaurice Smith, NFLPA union head was up for re-election and would have been vilified if he allowed the cap to fall to that level. This is why the PA agreed to allow sanctions against the Cowboys and Redskins because the NFL said let us do this and we’ll help build up the cap. So as far as the cap going up much in 2013 that is not the case.

Besides the cap going up is relative to all other teams it goes up for everyone. In 2013 the salary floor goes into place and league minimums go up so salaries will be on the rise. Teams with more cap space can obtain veterans easier than those who are tight. Look at Reggie Nelson the Jets couldn’t compete with Cincy on the contract even though he’s deal was not that great. Also look at what the Jets are doing in FA in 2012, usually their going after the Nnamdi Asomugh’s of the world but this year they have signed cheap one year deals, only Pouha got more than one year, I don’t count Hayden Smith no guaranteed money there. Why are they doing this? Don’t they want Mario Williams, Carl Nicks, Vincent Jackson or Eric Winston? They can’t afford them and they can’t afford to carry over any new big salaries into 2013.

Currently the Jets have 32 players under contract in 2013 with a cap hit of $127 million. The Bills have 46 players under contract with a cap hit of $100 million and the Pats have 33 with a cap hit of $93 million.

Yes there are some high price contracts that can be cut in 2013 Hunter, Smith, Scott and Pace saves $22.85 million, but you have to replace these players then you have 28. Most of overpaid players you speak of have guaranteed contract you can’t simple cut them.

David Harris is a good player but carries a $13 million cap hit in 2013 cutting him leaves $9 million in dead money, so you can’t save there. Sanchez has $12.85 million hit cutting him $17 million dead money. Most of the high end contracts are like this.

Of course guys like Ferguson & Revis are worth the money but you don’t have to many underpaid overachieves. Here are the starters under contract in 2013 after likely cuts: Harris, Sanchez, Holmes, Cromartie, Ferguson, Mangold, Revis, Pouha, Wilkerson, Kerley and Connor. The other 17, who knows if they even stay with the team? The bottom line is the Jets will have to be frugal once again in 2013 hopefully they can get some good draft picks to fill spots of those likely not to return. They will be in a position like this year not able to compete with other teams with better cap situations. They have to sign stop-gap again maybe concentrating on one or two guys like they did with Pouha, an obvious priority.

As far as Tebow’s contract it is very possible he will count $7 million in 2013 if his mid-level incentive is deemed likely to be achieved. Even thought the Jets may not have to pay this it will count on the salary cap. If Tebow becomes the starter, which I think he will, then I’m sure he’ll want more money but we’ll see.

My point to the person who said I’m clueless is that the Jets need to use the draft now they are not in position to get high priced FA nor to trade the picks away. We all know the cracks of 2011 do you think more aren’t on the way? Even a good draft this year will only fill so much the Jets need a good 2013 draft as well. I would have loved to obtain Ryans from Houston for a 4th round pick but the Jets couldn’t afford his salary. They need some younger cheaper players where do you get them?

The Jets in the past gave traded away picks for players choosing to take a veteran instead of a prospect. This is fine with me Kris Jenkins and Braylon Edwards was a great additions but their careers here were short and you give up the prospects. Same thing with Holmes and Cro they were traded for picks and became FA so the Jets signed them to big guaranteed market deals. The Jets have been aggressive in the draft as well moving up. All of this is fine I said, but was ignored, the Jets came close but unfortunately didn’t get the championship. The fact is the bill has come in and circumstances called for a certain course of action which the Jets seem to be following, being frugal in FA, use the draft.

This year seemed like a year to put the team back on a good financial course, you’d have to sacrifice moves you’d like to make until you were in position to make them again. I would have rather the Jets kept the draft pick and extra $2.25 million it cost for Tebow and used these resources instead of getting him. Some feel he is worth it but the team’s actions show they are not in great financial shape and this just seemed like a luxury they already had Stanton did they need Tebow?

All well and good, but this "cracks in the foundation" "mortgage the future" "not getting better anytime soon" T0mShane bullsh*t is ridiculous. We don't have many "underpaid overachievers" because we have plenty of overpaid old guys that do the job better. I can see if you think we need to fill these huge holes, but you are just saying that we need to have more guys like Kerley and Slauson. Big deal. Those guys aren't that hard to find. IMO a huge part of the reason we have busted on picks is because they have chosen boom or bust guys rather than sure things and that was done because the team is already pretty solid. They tried to hit a homerun and struck out. We'll see if it was a temporary problem or a systemic issue that isn't going away.

My main point is, the roster is fine. Sure it needs to some fixing. Everybody does at this time of year. The Jets are competitive with any team in the league. They aren't a juggernaut. Who is? Teams with great QBs. Great Qbs don't grow on trees, but the juggernaut doesn't always win the superbowl. The Giants were only marginally better than the Jets last year. Same goes for the Packers the year before. Let's not act like we need to blow everything up or the FO has been so horrid because the team went 29-19 over the past years, 4-2 over the playoffs. Would you guys be whining if we were the Ravens? The Pats? Those teams have accomplished the same as us over the past few.

All well and good, but this "cracks in the foundation" "mortgage the future" "not getting better anytime soon" T0mShane bullsh*t is ridiculous. We don't have many "underpaid overachievers" because we have plenty of overpaid old guys that do the job better. I can see if you think we need to fill these huge holes, but you are just saying that we need to have more guys like Kerley and Slauson. Big deal. Those guys aren't that hard to find. IMO a huge part of the reason we have busted on picks is because they have chosen boom or bust guys rather than sure things and that was done because the team is already pretty solid. They tried to hit a homerun and struck out. We'll see if it was a temporary problem or a systemic issue that isn't going away.

My main point is, the roster is fine. Sure it needs to some fixing. Everybody does at this time of year. The Jets are competitive with any team in the league. They aren't a juggernaut. Who is? Teams with great QBs. Great Qbs don't grow on trees, but the juggernaut doesn't always win the superbowl. The Giants were only marginally better than the Jets last year. Same goes for the Packers the year before. Let's not act like we need to blow everything up or the FO has been so horrid because the team went 29-19 over the past years, 4-2 over the playoffs. Would you guys be whining if we were the Ravens? The Pats? Those teams have accomplished the same as us over the past few.

That is not my point, it is simple, the Jets need to draft this year and next since the finances don't allow for holes to be filled by FA for the most part. Once they have some higher priced older players moved out they can go back to being aggressive. Trading away pick #108 and decreasing salary for a player they didn’t need was not the smartest move in my opinion moving forward. What if the Jets trade their 3rd round pick for a starting center, would that make sense?

The Jets would have been better off using the money on a veteran lineman and say drafting a WR, LB or OL at #108. Instead they give it up for Tebow when they are desperate to fill positions.

The fact is the top 15 salaries even after cuts cost $93 million in 2013. The team is top heavy salary wise and they need to use cheaper resources to fill the roster, add potential starters and depth something they currently lack.

Draft players now, give them a year in the system while you have players under contact so they will be ready to takeover. This will allow the finances to be better moving forward and the team can then be more aggressive. It doesn't mean that just because you don't make the biggest splash in FA you can't win. Philly signed everyone under the sun last year and look how they did. Build this year through the draft will help this year and beyond but acquiring Tebow was a mistake given the need for picks and financial resources.

I think people feel like I just make up numbers and enjoy the fact the Jets are tight. I want this team to win just like everyone but it will take a different approach to ensure the best team over this year and next. That’s a fact.

That is not my point, it is simple, the Jets need to draft this year and next since the finances don't allow for holes to be filled by FA for the most part. Once they have some higher priced older players moved out they can go back to being aggressive. Trading away pick #108 and decreasing salary for a player they didn’t need was not the smartest move in my opinion moving forward. What if the Jets trade their 3rd round pick for a starting center, would that make sense?

The Jets would have been better off using the money on a veteran lineman and say drafting a WR, LB or OL at #108. Instead they give it up for Tebow when they are desperate to fill positions.

The fact is the top 15 salaries even after cuts cost $93 million in 2013. The team is top heavy salary wise and they need to use cheaper resources to fill the roster, add potential starters and depth something they currently lack.

Draft players now, give them a year in the system while you have players under contact so they will be ready to takeover. This will allow the finances to be better moving forward and the team can then be more aggressive. It doesn't mean that just because you don't make the biggest splash in FA you can't win. Philly signed everyone under the sun last year and look how they did. Build this year through the draft will help this year and beyond but acquiring Tebow was a mistake given the need for picks and financial resources.

I think people feel like I just make up numbers and enjoy the fact the Jets are tight. I want this team to win just like everyone but it will take a different approach to ensure the best team over this year and next. That’s a fact.

There is that word again. Desperate. What positions are they desperate to replace? LT? Burress? Leonhard? Maybe you were talking about Marquice Cole or Mulligan? I can understand your point and your complaints about Tebow may have some validity, but this team isn't desperate for anything other than adequate QB play. A different approach than what? Exactly what approach have they taken? They have turned over every rock looking for people, spent whatever money they could and made trades they thought would help. I expect more of the same. Sure they can't go out and sign big FAs if they don't have the money, but I don't think it means a wholesale change in philosophy.

As for Tebow, I can understand your problems with it, but IMO opinion the 4th isn't really that big a deal. As for the money, they were spending some of that on Drew Stanton - sure that move cost them an extra half mil, but they got a 7th for that money. I'd assume that you are at least a little happy about that. It's not exactly like getting another starting center. Tebow WILL contribute even barring an injury. He will play wildcat QB. He may provide some H-back/FB/TE duties. The guy is an athlete and no question great in the lockerroom. He also provides some competition to light a fire under the a$$ of Sanchez who we were supposed to be worried about coddling. I'm not so high on the last two reasons, but I heard enough about our chemistry and how Drew Stanton wouldn't provide any competition for Sanchez to know that the ****ers around here will never be happy. For the record, I am not too happy about getting Tebow. When I thought it was for a 2nd I was pissed, but for a 4th? I can live with it and don't see the big deal.

Exactly!

There is that word again. Desperate. What positions are they desperate to replace? LT? Burress? Leonhard? Maybe you were talking about Marquice Cole or Mulligan? I can understand your point and your complaints about Tebow may have some validity, but this team isn't desperate for anything other than adequate QB play. A different approach than what? Exactly what approach have they taken? They have turned over every rock looking for people, spent whatever money they could and made trades they thought would help. I expect more of the same. Sure they can't go out and sign big FAs if they don't have the money, but I don't think it means a wholesale change in philosophy.

As for Tebow, I can understand your problems with it, but IMO opinion the 4th isn't really that big a deal. As for the money, they were spending some of that on Drew Stanton - sure that move cost them an extra half mil, but they got a 7th for that money. I'd assume that you are at least a little happy about that. It's not exactly like getting another starting center. Tebow WILL contribute even barring an injury. He will play wildcat QB. He may provide some H-back/FB/TE duties. The guy is an athlete and no question great in the lockerroom. He also provides some competition to light a fire under the a$$ of Sanchez who we were supposed to be worried about coddling. I'm not so high on the last two reasons, but I heard enough about our chemistry and how Drew Stanton wouldn't provide any competition for Sanchez to know that the ****ers around here will never be happy. For the record, I am not too happy about getting Tebow. When I thought it was for a 2nd I was pissed, but for a 4th? I can live with it and don't see the big deal.

Exactly!

Well if you actually read the post you would understand that since the Jets can’t afford FA they have to use the draft. The different approach is using the draft and not trading picks for higher priced veteran players since they can’t afford their contracts. People have suggested trading for Jonathan Stewart but he becomes a FA in 2013 and cost more than Greene, McKnight and Powell combined. So aren’t you better off drafting a RB instead? In the past the Jets would have made that trade but they can’t now.

Lets look at desperation shall we. Last year the Jets lost Nick Mangold and the offense fell apart why? They had no depth forced to use Colin Baxter who was put in way over his head. Funny the Pats lost their starting center for the whole year and still made the Super Bowl. Now we have Schladeraff, Ducasse (both on the team last year guess they weren't good enough to play, hope they are this year) and Howard as backups. I might close my eyes if D’Brick had to miss a game. The fact is you need #23-53 to contribute as much as #1-22. Injuries happen and you need guys who can step up. Where you going to get these people?

The Jets have huge holes right now they have two safeties they need two more, they need a #2 WR, they need a pass rusher, right tackle and a RB. Then you have lesser needs like TE and CB. Please give me the name of the guys to play these positions who aren’t junk? Rex loves to run cover 1 man free so you need guys to cover man to man sometimes 4 WRs and the Jets don’t have the personal to run the system but of course easily replace just get anyone.

I find it fun people keep saying you can just replace players no problem. The Jets replace Pete Kendal with Adrien Clark a few years ago how did that workout, Clark almost got our QB killed every week. All year long Jets fans complained about Hunter and Smith’s play, were they ever replaced no why? The team had no replacements. By the way they still don’t.

I think a team with 3 slow starting LB’s 32, 32 and 33 might need to start looking for their replacements since they will all be gone in 2013 but you can just get anyone. Three starting o-linemen gone in 2013 and you’re starting RB, just to name some, but anyone will do easily replaced. Of course you don’t have money to get FA so I guess you’ll just find them on the street.

As far as Tebow goes he did not come here to play second fiddle to Sanchez. You think he wants to be a 'wild-cat QB'? He wants to start and there will be controversy all year long about it. If the Jets really wanted to run the wild-cat they would draft a Brad Smith type to come in for 5-8 plays. Tebow is here to replace Sanchez and that’s what the Jets wanted.

I know it was all Sanchez fault the tam was 8-8 last year they didn’t beat a team with a winning record. The defense is slow everyone saw it they gave up plenty of long drives at key moments. The line didn’t protect well at all Sanchez was beaten some weeks. They need some speed and youth do you think Scott is getting faster now a year older. The only place the team can get players is in the draft and Tebow is like a time bomb. Sanchez days as a Jet are over he is in a no win situation.

The Jets should have just given Sanchez another year with as many resources as possible now know one knows how this will work the train wreck aspect is there.

I know a 4th round pick but just another one bites the dust while every other team is drafting 6-10 players the Jets draft 4-5 now the bill is in it was time to bite the bullet and make boring (winning) football moves but they had to steal headlines again.

Here’s what I think of Sanchez compared to Tebow, I’ll take Sanchez any day 31-22 as a starter (4-2) in the playoffs. And Rutgers fan if you have something to say man up and write something not one word:

2010 Playoffs vs. #1 seed Patriots 14-2 (Sanchez):

28-21 (Win) 16-25 - 64% - 194 yards; 3TD’s 0 INT rating 127.3

2011 Playoffs vs. #1 seed Patriots 13-3 (Tebow):

45-10 (Loss) 9-36 - 36% - 136 yards; 0 TD 0 INT rating 52 (5 rushes 13 yards)

Well if you actually read the post you would understand that since the Jets can’t afford FA they have to use the draft. The different approach is using the draft and not trading picks for higher priced veteran players since they can’t afford their contracts. People have suggested trading for Jonathan Stewart but he becomes a FA in 2013 and cost more than Greene, McKnight and Powell combined. So aren’t you better off drafting a RB instead? In the past the Jets would have made that trade but they can’t now.

Lets look at desperation shall we. Last year the Jets lost Nick Mangold and the offense fell apart why? They had no depth forced to use Colin Baxter who was put in way over his head. Funny the Pats lost their starting center for the whole year and still made the Super Bowl. Now we have Schladeraff, Ducasse (both on the team last year guess they weren't good enough to play, hope they are this year) and Howard as backups. I might close my eyes if D’Brick had to miss a game. The fact is you need #23-53 to contribute as much as #1-22. Injuries happen and you need guys who can step up. Where you going to get these people?

The Jets have huge holes right now they have two safeties they need two more, they need a #2 WR, they need a pass rusher, right tackle and a RB. Then you have lesser needs like TE and CB. Please give me the name of the guys to play these positions who aren’t junk? Rex loves to run cover 1 man free so you need guys to cover man to man sometimes 4 WRs and the Jets don’t have the personal to run the system but of course easily replace just get anyone.

I find it fun people keep saying you can just replace players no problem. The Jets replace Pete Kendal with Adrien Clark a few years ago how did that workout, Clark almost got our QB killed every week. All year long Jets fans complained about Hunter and Smith’s play, were they ever replaced no why? The team had no replacements. By the way they still don’t.

I think a team with 3 slow starting LB’s 32, 32 and 33 might need to start looking for their replacements since they will all be gone in 2013 but you can just get anyone. Three starting o-linemen gone in 2013 and you’re starting RB, just to name some, but anyone will do easily replaced. Of course you don’t have money to get FA so I guess you’ll just find them on the street.

As far as Tebow goes he did not come here to play second fiddle to Sanchez. You think he wants to be a 'wild-cat QB'? He wants to start and there will be controversy all year long about it. If the Jets really wanted to run the wild-cat they would draft a Brad Smith type to come in for 5-8 plays. Tebow is here to replace Sanchez and that’s what the Jets wanted.

I know it was all Sanchez fault the tam was 8-8 last year they didn’t beat a team with a winning record. The defense is slow everyone saw it they gave up plenty of long drives at key moments. The line didn’t protect well at all Sanchez was beaten some weeks. They need some speed and youth do you think Scott is getting faster now a year older. The only place the team can get players is in the draft and Tebow is like a time bomb. Sanchez days as a Jet are over he is in a no win situation.

The Jets should have just given Sanchez another year with as many resources as possible now know one knows how this will work the train wreck aspect is there.

I know a 4th round pick but just another one bites the dust while every other team is drafting 6-10 players the Jets draft 4-5 now the bill is in it was time to bite the bullet and make boring (winning) football moves but they had to steal headlines again.

Here’s what I think of Sanchez compared to Tebow, I’ll take Sanchez any day 31-22 as a starter (4-2) in the playoffs. And Rutgers fan if you have something to say man up and write something not one word:

2010 Playoffs vs. #1 seed Patriots 14-2 (Sanchez):

28-21 (Win) 16-25 - 64% - 194 yards; 3TD’s 0 INT rating 127.3

2011 Playoffs vs. #1 seed Patriots 13-3 (Tebow):

45-10 (Loss) 9-36 - 36% - 136 yards; 0 TD 0 INT rating 52 (5 rushes 13 yards)

I thought we kind of agreed and were just talking semantics and degrees, but as of now, I think you are T0mShane Jr.

1. I think the team is built by any means necessary. If it's the draft, fine. IF not, so be it. They have EVERY starter returning bar Leonhard who probably still return and Burress. Big whoop. The dispute we have is regarding the generaly talent level. I think they are pretty good. You evidently feel they are DESPERATE!

2. We have to build to be more like the Giants and Pats? Why don't we just give up and wait for a top QB to drop in our laps. Those teams suck on D. SUCK. They are able to survive having sh*tty O lines. Why? They have top level QBs. That's why.

3. Like I said, you may have a point on Tebow. OTOH, if Sanchez can't beat him out, then **** Sanchez. This might be the perfect situation for Sanchez. He has somebody considered an actual threat as a backup, yet the guy actually has worse accuracy and Sanchez SHOULD beat him out easily. If Sanchez is going to mope and whine that Tebow is here and go into a shell, then **** him I'd rather roll with somebody else. The fact is, the kid has had everything handed to him and hasn't lit the world on fire. He is still in a very good position to step up and carry the team. If he doesn't the Jets have given up a 4th rounder for a young player with playoff wins under his belt. I don't see Tebow being a success in the NFL, but he is an upgrade over Drew Stanton AND provides value even as the backup QB. The train wreck aspect is something you see, but it hasn't happened yet. We shall see.

4. Huge holes my a$$. They need two backup safeties! Heavens! How can that be accomplished? They will have to mortgage the future! They need a #2 WR? Maybe. Maybe they will be happy going with Schillens, Kerley and a pick/late cut. I don't see why they need much more at WR. They can slide McKnight, Keller, Cumberland or Baker out there. I was surprised Schottenheimer didn't do that more, but maybe Sparano will. Pass rusher? Why? They did fine with nobody in 2009 and 2010. They added Maybin who was as good a pure pass rusher as anybody and have an offseason to try to make him useful in situations other than 3rd and 8+. They tanked when Mangold went down because the Jets C is the best in the game AND HIS BACKUP WAS HURT. The Pats and Giants survived injuries because they have good QBs. It is possible that Tebow can help there too because during games where the O line can't pass protect they can use him to combat the 8 in a box and pressure. We will see. If I am an OC I am happy to have a guy like Tebow to **** around with, but I might not like the circus. Lesser needs at TE and CB? Why? Replacing Strickland and Cole? Give me a ******* break. Trufant and I was like Um were as good as those guys last year. TE? Ha. A big TE is a need? It's a want, but not a big deal. They can use Olineman there.

In summary: 2 backup safeties, a #4 CB, a non-starting blocking TE, some form of WR and POSSIBLY a starting RT. Other than the RT that is about a cheap a bunch of bodies as there are in the NFL.

We probably agree on what we need/want them to do. I just don't think the sky is falling. I think they are a good team. Yes. I think it is predominantly the fault of Sanchez, though I doubt Tebow would be much better.

I thought we kind of agreed and were just talking semantics and degrees, but as of now, I think you are T0mShane Jr.

1. I think the team is built by any means necessary. If it's the draft, fine. IF not, so be it. They have EVERY starter returning bar Leonhard who probably still return and Burress. Big whoop. The dispute we have is regarding the generaly talent level. I think they are pretty good. You evidently feel they are DESPERATE!

2. We have to build to be more like the Giants and Pats? Why don't we just give up and wait for a top QB to drop in our laps. Those teams suck on D. SUCK. They are able to survive having sh*tty O lines. Why? They have top level QBs. That's why.

3. Like I said, you may have a point on Tebow. OTOH, if Sanchez can't beat him out, then **** Sanchez. This might be the perfect situation for Sanchez. He has somebody considered an actual threat as a backup, yet the guy actually has worse accuracy and Sanchez SHOULD beat him out easily. If Sanchez is going to mope and whine that Tebow is here and go into a shell, then **** him I'd rather roll with somebody else. The fact is, the kid has had everything handed to him and hasn't lit the world on fire. He is still in a very good position to step up and carry the team. If he doesn't the Jets have given up a 4th rounder for a young player with playoff wins under his belt. I don't see Tebow being a success in the NFL, but he is an upgrade over Drew Stanton AND provides value even as the backup QB. The train wreck aspect is something you see, but it hasn't happened yet. We shall see.

4. Huge holes my a$$. They need two backup safeties! Heavens! How can that be accomplished? They will have to mortgage the future! They need a #2 WR? Maybe. Maybe they will be happy going with Schillens, Kerley and a pick/late cut. I don't see why they need much more at WR. They can slide McKnight, Keller, Cumberland or Baker out there. I was surprised Schottenheimer didn't do that more, but maybe Sparano will. Pass rusher? Why? They did fine with nobody in 2009 and 2010. They added Maybin who was as good a pure pass rusher as anybody and have an offseason to try to make him useful in situations other than 3rd and 8+. They tanked when Mangold went down because the Jets C is the best in the game AND HIS BACKUP WAS HURT. The Pats and Giants survived injuries because they have good QBs. It is possible that Tebow can help there too because during games where the O line can't pass protect they can use him to combat the 8 in a box and pressure. We will see. If I am an OC I am happy to have a guy like Tebow to **** around with, but I might not like the circus. Lesser needs at TE and CB? Why? Replacing Strickland and Cole? Give me a ******* break. Trufant and I was like Um were as good as those guys last year. TE? Ha. A big TE is a need? It's a want, but not a big deal. They can use Olineman there.

In summary: 2 backup safeties, a #4 CB, a non-starting blocking TE, some form of WR and POSSIBLY a starting RT. Other than the RT that is about a cheap a bunch of bodies as there are in the NFL.

We probably agree on what we need/want them to do. I just don't think the sky is falling. I think they are a good team. Yes. I think it is predominantly the fault of Sanchez, though I doubt Tebow would be much better.

I agree with you totally on Sanchez. If the Jets want to win the Super Bowl, which we all hope, then Sanchez will have to play better than he did last year. I think the disappointing thing is his playoff numbers are solid but it doesn’t translate to the regular season but we know he can do it. I’m sure Sparano will simplifying the playbook and I liked that Sanchez and Pennington work together as well as Sanchez and Holmes and others are working out together.

Tebow needs to be an accent of Sanchez if they are going to be successful. If this is the case and Tebow brings some dynamic plays to the table and Sanchez is more efficient this can work. Your right good QB play can mask other problems and for Sanchez to grow he’ll need to play most of the time and have resources to be successful, same with Tebow on the resources end. There is a fine line between winning and losing so Tebow can make plays in this regard but Sanchez needs to be the focus if they are going to win it all.

My concern is the possibility of revolving QB’s I think you would agree this would not be ideal. Sanchez will struggle at times all QB’s do I just hope Rex and Co. don’t get an itchy trigger finger and lets him grow. If it is too much in out who should be starting type thing this can snowball real fast and that is worrisome.

Now I don’t think the Jets should be the Pats or Giants but I do think this is a good year to use the draft. We have pointed out positions we’d like to upgrade and I’d like to show you how I’d use the rest of the offseason to fill them which works good for this year and moving forward given limited finances:

Jets Draft: #16 Mark Barron -SS or Dre Kirkpatrick – CB/FS -They can both play safety although Kirkpatrick is a CB who could play FS for now if Barron were already taken

#47 – RB Doug Martin or David Wilson – They are both three down backs can pass protect and have good size and speed. Would compliment Greene and be better than him on 3rd down especially receiving. Greene is a FA in 2013 one of these guys could replace him.

#77 WR Brian Quick 6’4” 220 – Tall position receiver, Burress only faster, Jets need to get more first downs keep the chains moving and good red-zone target. He also blocks well good for both Sanchez and Tebow.

#77 Alt – Cam Johnson DE/OLB – Was very affective in a 3-4 system in Virginia since everyone wants a pass rusher early I’ll give an alternative.

#154 DE/OLB Tim Fugger or Taylor Thompson – Two legit OLB more of a prospect but a year behind Thomas and/or Pace would help development.

#154 Alt Greg Childs – WR – 6’3’ 220 Again a big target played top competition in the SEC has 4.5-4.6 speed would be a nice pick up if you went with Johnson at #77

#187 – James Hanna – TE 6’4” 252 – Has good measurable ran a 4.5 forty and can block has upside as a receiver a good value here.

#202 – Jordan Bernstine – DB – He is a good kick returner can play any DB spot CB, SS or FS. 99 tackles last year for Iowa.

#203 – Ryan Davis – DE/OLB – Small school pass rush prospect big upside could add some needed LB depth going forward, can never have too many guys who can get to the QB.

#232 – James Cameron – OT – 6’6” 330 played LT at Miss St. for one year before that was a D-lineman. Needs some coaching but is a tremendous athlete maybe a year on the practice squad would help.

#242 – Dale Moss –WR 6’3” 215 – Played only one year of football has good numbers and speed. A good athlete plays on the South Dakota State basketball team as well. Needs work on route running but good potential.

#244 – Jeff Adams – OL – 6’6” 308 - Local guy from Columbia the Jets have worked him out and like what they saw.

Last year the Jets took out Colin Baxter and moved Slauson to center and put in Ducasse this lasted about three plays when they realized Ducasse sucks. The Jets should bring in Vernon Carey he knows Sparano’s system and can play Guard or Tackle and won’t cost much. I’d feel a lot better knowing there is a true veteran backup on the O-line or maybe he could beat out Hunter?

They should sign Jim Leonhard to a vet-min deal put him on the pup list and have him for the second half of the season.

I’d rather see the Jets go with younger players and deal with the growing pains then overpay for has-beens like O.J. Atogwe. The Jets have ten picks this year use them restock the shelves. Of course not all these players will make it but sheer numbers indicate you should get like 5 out of the ten and 7 if you’re really lucky to contribute in some way. This is just an example I obviously don’t know exactly what the Jets are thinking but you get the point, the potential is good here. So while you have starters under contract let the rookies develop. This would be very helpful since there is going to be lots of turnover, even more than most years, with the team over the next year or so. Of course if Sanchez/Tebow/McElroy suck then it won’t matter anyway but the draft is the best way to fill spots for the long run at this point in time.

I agree with you ...

I am pretty much on board with this post. I snipped it because I don't think it needs to be reposted twice back to back. The only place I disagree is that you seem to be going 100% for need with the draft. While I think they can look to players that will contribute more immediately as opposed to the potential they seem to have been going for, I think a CB to play S may be a bit of a reach. Of course they may like Kirpatrick and he may be worth the pick, but as a rule I don't think there is any specific need that will be that great by draft day. Other than that and not being quite so worried about the damaging the delicate psyche of Sanchez with the Wildcat/Tebow mania. I am pretty much in agreement.

The only place I disagree is that you seem to be going 100% for need with the draft.

You're right, I've been doing lots of mocks and my own criticism is that I tend to focus on need more then BPA. I think the Jets will focus on need in rounds 1-3 though. Maybe take less of a need in rounds 5-7 like a NT; Akiem Hicks or Hebron Fangupo are possible or DE/DT; Tyrone Crawford or J.R. Sweezy possible.

Also I've thought about ILB Jerry Franklin had like 100 tackles last year for Arkansas hopefully he could replace Scott but I feel like I can't take Bellore off the roster unless the pick play specials like he does. The hard part is trying to prioritize everything cause ever time you change someone the whole thing gets shuffled like cards.

There has been lots of analyst who project Kirkpatrick as a good FS but I understand your point, if Barron is there and IMO it's like 60/40 he will be that seems like the way they'll go.

• 8 months later...

they paid him 2.5 million in exchange for cap relief and VOIDABLE years

it was covered already, the extension was not what it seemed

Give it up already! another stupid thread UGH!!!

there was no other place to find space. leaving Mark play out this year, they don't even have the cap space to sign Pouha.

If I understand it correctl, they basically hitched their wagon to him. Which is fine. If they believe in him, that's fine, because if he does develop, they will be getting good bang for their buck at the QB position. Right?

Ahem.

Archived