Jets and Keller begin to talk contract

ZachEY

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/11655/jets-keller-start-to-talk-contract

The Jets have held preliminary contract discussions with TE Dustin Keller, according to a league source.

Keller, the team's most consistent playmaker last season, is entering the final year of his rookie contract. No deal is imminent, but this bears watching because he'd be the Jets' most prominent free agent in 2013.

Keller is due to make $3.05 million this season, thanks to an escalator that bumped his base pay by $2 million. Clearly, Keller isn't hurting, but it makes sense to lock him up for the long term.

He led the team last season in catches (65), receiving yards (815), receptions of 20+ yards (12) and receiving first downs (39). He was sixth among tight ends in yardage and ninth in yards-after-catch (320). Keller became the first tight end since Mickey Shuler in 1985 to lead the team in receptions.

More than anything, Keller is an ascending player, having demonstrated improvement in each of his four seasons. The Jets like to build around their core players, and this is an opportunity to do just that. Plus, he and QB Mark Sanchez have excellent chemistry and, as everybody knows, that sort of thing has been in short supply in Florham Park.

Locking up Keller also would lessen the burden next year, when several key players are eligible to become free agents -- namely Shonn Greene, Brandon Moore, Mike DeVito andAaron Maybin.

Sanchez received an extension even though he had two years left on his rookie deal -- and he had a mediocre year in 2011. It sends a bad message if they don't reward the players that actually performed at a high level.

Very money dependent IMO. I'd want to keep him around, but he's not nearly a top TE, so hopefully he doesn't want to be paid like one. If he does, I'm sure we can find a guy in the 4th round for Sanchez to stare at the whole way and then overthrow. I'm sure that guy, when he catches the ball, can knock himself out by trying to jump a 6ft tall defender who's standing straight up.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espn.go.com/b...o-talk-contract

Very money dependent IMO. I'd want to keep him around, but he's not nearly a top TE, so hopefully he doesn't want to be paid like one. If he does, I'm sure we can find a guy in the 4th round for Sanchez to stare at the whole way and then overthrow. I'm sure that guy, when he catches the ball, can knock himself out by trying to jump a 6ft tall defender who's standing straight up.

I giggled at this.

I like Keller. He's Marks favorite target. I'd keep him around. I think Cumberland shows some promise and it would be an interesting set to have one of them in the slot and the other on the LOS w/ Holmes wide. Should be nice easy reads for Mark out of the type of a formation.

Keller is worth extending. Cant imagine he's going to cost a significant amount of money. Although, we did just sign an Aussie...

I giggled at this.

I like Keller. He's Marks favorite target. I'd keep him around. I think Cumberland shows some promise and it would be an interesting set to have one of them in the slot and the other on the LOS w/ Holmes wide. Should be nice easy reads for Mark out of the type of a formation.

Keller is worth extending. Cant imagine he's going to cost a significant amount of money. Although, we did just sign an Aussie...

I definitely want to bring him back. I just think it's really got to be a value signing. I just really don't believe we're in a position to overpay for a tight end. Hopefully they work something out that is representative to his value at TE vs. the league as opposed to the fact that he led the Jets in receptions.

I hope he doesn't get paid like a top TE. Keller's maddening.

Some games, he can look like one of the better offensive weapons in the league. Others, he seems to not even be in the stadium, and you wouldn't even notice him if not for footballs occasionally bouncing off the side of his face.

Strangely enough, I actually become a bigger fan of Keller's this past season. While he's certainly not an elite level talent, and can be maddening at times, the guy has managed to consistently outperform everyone else in that receiving corps for years now, meanwhile has only seen about 1/2 of a season combined of quality QB play throughout his entire career. He's one of those guys that, if the Jets were to let him hit FA, I think would join the list of Jets players who went on to have far more success after they left, if he got to play with even just an average QB. He's certainly not worth top level money, but I think when you look at the heap of crap that is the Jets offense these days, he's probably the one guy outside of the OL there's legit reason to want to keep around long term.

He has disappeared in games - but how much can you put on the QB for making that happen. keep him with hi skills and talent receiving the ball and being young.

Agree....but with a sound OC, keller can become a bigger weapon.....

Strangely enough, I actually become a bigger fan of Keller's this past season. While he's certainly not an elite level talent, and can be maddening at times, the guy has managed to consistently outperform everyone else in that receiving corps for years now, meanwhile has only seen about 1/2 of a season combined of quality QB play throughout his entire career. He's one of those guys that, if the Jets were to let him hit FA, I think would join the list of Jets players who went on to have far more success after they left, if he got to play with even just an average QB. He's certainly not worth top level money, but I think when you look at the heap of crap that is the Jets offense these days, he's probably the one guy outside of the OL there's legit reason to want to keep around long term.

+1

I thought Keller played tough last year. Like Holmes, give him a QB and I'll be there. I'll be theeeeere.

A smart team replaces Keller with Cumberland/draft pick. We'll give him $20mm guaranteed.

Thats pretty much the going rate.

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/dustinkellerprice.php

If I were the Jets Id let him play this year out and if he goes wild I would franchise him. Its only about 6 million to do it. Then Id probably just let him walk. I hope they dont get into a 7mil/year type deal with him.

http://nyjetscap.com...kellerprice.php

If I were the Jets Id let him play this year out and if he goes wild I would franchise him. Its only about 6 million to do it. Then Id probably just let him walk. I hope they dont get into a 7mil/year type deal with him.

This unless Keller agrees to a contract for a TE that's in the top ten but not the top five.

http://nyjetscap.com...kellerprice.php

Not necessarily a bad idea considering that if you take a quick look at next year's pending FAs, while there are a number of guys I'd say the Jets are likely to try to bring back, they're certainly not going to be using the franchise tag on the likes of Slauson, Moore, Greene or even DeVito. I still wouldn't be opposed to extending him if he's got reasonable contract demands, but if not it's certainly a good route to take.

He's one of those guys that, if the Jets were to let him hit FA, I think would join the list of Jets players who went on to have far more success after they left, if he got to play with even just an average QB.

Undoubtedly this happens.

Our good friend Tyson Rauch has a blog post that says the Jets may be looking to extend the contract of TE Dustin Keller.

Tyson says:

The athletic pass catcher is in the final year of his rookie contract and will make $3,050,000 this season.

This news should come as no surprise as Keller had a solid 2011 season (career high 65 catches for 815 yards) and has become one of Mark Sanchez’ favorite targets.  Dustin is a match-up nightmare for most linebackers and safeties and an argument can be made that the Jets do not utilize his skill sets enough in the passing game. In addition if the Jets extend Keller they can create some cap room which is desperately needed to add some depth to the roster (S,WR,OLB,RT).

Here is a thread with more information on this rumor from our http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/104494-jets-and-keller-begin-to-talk-contract/.  Also, be sure to check out Tyson Rauch’s new site, The Jets Setter.

default-thumb.png

di
di

RNzwZ-s6GRc

View the full article

If he ever learns how to catch and not trip and fall, look out NFL.

Wasnt Tom Moore supposed to turn Keller into the next Dallas Clark?

At this point I would be happy with the next Chris Baker.

Baker's best years offensively do not come close to Keller's least productive season (his rookie year)...

Keller gets too much sh*t from Jets fans. He's a solid TE. They need another one though. The mythical beast that is Jeff Cumberland isn't doing it for me anymore.

Keller is awesome. Losing him would be a giant mistake. Cumberland is as good as the chances of Walter Payton coming back and playing for us.

Keller is def Mark's go-to guy. They have great chemistry on the field. Keller has proven himself and will make it far in the NFL so if the Jets do not take care of him - they're idiots. We can use the cap space to pay more O-line players to protect Mark so he can actually throw the ball to Keller ;)

Keller is def Mark's go-to guy. They have great chemistry on the field. Keller has proven himself and will make it far in the NFL so if the Jets do not take care of him - they're idiots. We can use the cap space to pay more O-line players to protect Mark so he can actually throw the ball to Keller ;)

Good post.

Thanks for signing up newbie.

He led the team last season in.... ......receptions of 20+ yards (12)

Really?!

It didn't feel like the TEAM had 12 receptions of 20+ yards last season, let alone a single player...

Locking up Keller also would lessen the burden next year, when several key players are eligible to become free agents -- namely Shonn Greene,

"Key"? Pfft... what? He's a RB and they have short careers. He'll be 28 before the 2013 season starts, and he's already slow as hell. Not exactly dealing with Emmitt Smith here. For that matter, we're not even dealing with Matt Forte. This guy is... eh.

Brandon Moore,

That will be interesting. I don't think he will command too much on the market, but we'll see...

Mike DeVito

Nice player but he's also not exactly a problem to re-sign. If the team wants him back, it shouldn't be too tough.

andAaron Maybin.

GTFO. They just used the words "key players" and Aaron Maybin in the same sentence? I didn't know a guy who can't even start in his 3rd/4th years could be considered a key player. Makes no sense.

Don't know what that was in the first place. The Brett Ratliff of TEs.

On the bright side, we are at least adding another mythical beast to the bunch in the Rugby, basketball TE.

I'm happy to see they want Keller extended. I am not in the pack who doesn't appreciate him. Leaps and bounds included, :D

Baker's best years offensively do not come close to Keller's least productive season (his rookie year)...

No way to argue the numbers you point to but Keller plays like an oversized unathletic WR not a tight end. Just watch him after a catch.I just dont think he is worth it esp with Cumberland coming back.

Don't know what that was in the first place. The Brett Ratliff of TEs.

Ha, well played. I can get the idea of some people thinking the Jets should keep Keller around for the next year or two and then move on, but Cumberland is in absolutely no way any part of the reason why. To date, the guy's entire NFL career is a year on the practice squad followed by a season in which he made 2 catches in 3 games before getting knocked out for the year. Not only is he completely unproven as a player, but he's got health questions to go along with it. Not to mention, he's an even more incompetent blocker than Keller.

Archived